Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Duster058_zpsd3e05350.jpg

That actually imo is far and away its best angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I think the Duster has character (which is not something you can say about a lot of cars these days), the wheels suit it and I think for the money its a very sensible purchase. It costs a lot less then the other 2WD softroaders and I think its quite a butch looking car compared to the majority of them.

Well done to the people who waited 4 months longer than they expected, I would have gone mental with the dealers in Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

dusters.jpgdusters.jpg

I ordered two Dusters back in August. The delays were hard to stomach but having the 4wd version since February and the 2wd version for about two weeks i can only report positively on both. The gearbox on the 4wd takes a bit of getting used to but both cars are solid as a rock. The Duster looks rugged and not so delicate when parked up beside the Qashqai which is a plus in my opinion!

I may possibly have stumbled on a future problem Duster owners may have with them approaching next winter... The Duster i've had since Feb doesn't seem to be insulated very well. Not talking about noise level but temperature. On the cold days it seemed to lose heat from the heaters very very quickly. Seeing as the car was produced in India I'm wondering might the door seals used be up to the job of our climate?? I suppose time will tell on that one.

IrishWhiskeyCha Are those side steps fitted by Dacia or did you source them yourself? I was interested in having them put on but I didn't like the look of the Dacia ones but yours look ace!

..posted a second time because of photo difficulties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

tf2 wrote: »
    dusters.jpgdusters.jpg

I ordered two Dusters back in August. The delays were hard to stomach but having the 4wd version since February and the 2wd version for about two weeks i can only report positively on both. The gearbox on the 4wd takes a bit of getting used to but both cars are solid as a rock. The Duster looks rugged and not so delicate when parked up beside the Qashqai which is a plus in my opinion!

I may possibly have stumbled on a future problem Duster owners may have with them approaching next winter... The Duster i've had since Feb doesn't seem to be insulated very well. Not talking about noise level but temperature. On the cold days it seemed to lose heat from the heaters very very quickly. Seeing as the car was produced in India I'm wondering might the door seals used be up to the job of our climate?? I suppose time will tell on that one.

IrishWhiskeyCha Are those side steps fitted by Dacia or did you source them yourself? I was interested in having them put on but I didn't like the look of the Dacia ones but yours look ace!

..posted a second time because of photo difficulties

The door seals were replaced in the UK for UK spec ones seemingly. The doors are quite light so that may be the reason.

I got my side steps from a company through ebay. Circa €260 and delivered in 2 days which was not bad. Easy to fit too. Check out the DaciaForum dot co dot uk for all Dacia chat ;-)

See here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DACIA-DUSTER-SIDE-STEPS-RUNNING-BOARDS-BARS-ALYANS-2010-up-NEW-/130886330836?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e796ee9d4

They have crome versions. The Official ones are basicall just styling bars and not steps.

Did you order spare wheel kit if not and your thinking of doing so let me know or go on to the forum I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I noticed a draft coming in from around the interior door grab/handles (I think). Perhaps owners could check this out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

wasn't there a problem with door seals and they were to be refitted for UK/Ireland??

I think if ur interested a Qashqui, or a Santa Fe, or a Kia Sportage, then you should probably consider this car too -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭johnnydeep

jesus the wheels are ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

To be fair, it's not in the same league as a Santa Fe. It's cheap, utilitarian transport but the new Santa Fe has moved up a notch.

hyundai-santa-fe-1.jpg

I seen this thread (and read the entire thing) about two days ago. I still get a random thought in my head and laugh when I think of this post:
    Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I would only buy one to have a big sign on the back parcel shelf saying.

You've been Dusted !

:D

Have to say, for the price and all, it's not at all a bad looking piece of kit. The big rear lettering saying 'DUSTER' is the only real weak-point for me.

I think it looks really tacky. If you could swap that out for an aftermarket generic one with no text, I think the car/jeep would look a hell of a lot better.

Out from that, having never actually seen one in real life (and only the photos/videos online) I have to admit that it looks rather good. Would never buy a new car, but would be curious to see how this holds it value over the next couple of years.

I'm currently considering picking up a Rav4 as my next vehicle of choice, and the Duster looks like it could be a very attractive second-hand purchase in a few years (provided it doesn't fall apart and reviews stay somewhat favourable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

To be fair, it's not in the same league as a Santa Fe. It's cheap, utilitarian transport but the new Santa Fe has moved up a notch.

hyundai-santa-fe-1.jpg

The Santa Fe is a beautiful car but starts at €38 grand !!!!! and as you say not a comparable car in any sense of the word. 2 new Dusters and still change ;):p . However we were actually looking at the ix35 before I ever heard about the Duster but they are not out long enough to have any significant saving ... New they start at €26,500 and even a second hand 2010 model (Launch year) is still dearer than a New Duster.

It's nice to dream about such things but at the end of the day the economics all point to the Duster. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service and you won't mind the kids wrecking it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

The Santa Fe is a beautiful car but starts at €38 grand !!!!! and as you say not a comparable car in any sense of the word. 2 new Dusters and still change ;):p . However we were actually looking at the ix35 before I ever heard about the Duster but they are not out long enough to have any significant saving ... New they start at €26,500 and even a second hand 2010 model (Launch year) is still dearer than a New Duster.

It's nice to dream about such things but at the end of the day the economics all point to the Duster. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service and you won't mind the kids wrecking it :cool:

that won't take long :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Albert E. Arkwright

WIZE wrote: »

250344.jpg

Fair play to you and health to enjoy it.

I really like the look of them, especially the steel wheels, I absolutely hate anything bling looking with passion. Call it reverse snobbery if you will. I love utility styling. Form should always follow function in my design book.

White would be the colour for me as well, I'd would never ever part with the extra 500 quid for another colour, defeats the entire purpose.

TBH even the Duster is little bit too fancy for me.

Now the Sandero mmmmmmmm.
    Perverted inverted snobbery I know, but hey, whatever makes me happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Saw one today down in Bishopstown, Silver in colour and with the Signature spec with the proper alloys. Looked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than white. The white to me looks like absolute shoite. Any other colour would suit it much better. I have also seen a black one floating around and also looks way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

What will the prices of these be second hand in a year or 2?

Id say depending on owner reviews if all still positive about them could be a complete bargain second hand buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

canhefixit wrote: »

Id say depending on owner reviews if all still positive about them could be a complete bargain second hand buy.

The low price combined with the supply issues will keep prices firm I would imagine for a couple of years. The lower the price the less distance to fall.

canhefixit wrote: »

The depreciation rate will probably be the same as for most other sub brand cars, I'd guess it will loose roughly 25 % per year? maybe ? i.e. a Qashqai might loose say 'only' 20% of its value per per year, but it costs a lot more, so it's all relative. I don't think anyone buying a duster will to too far wrong in comparison to buying any other car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Grahamb23

Hi Folks,

Would you like a brand new car for €14999?

http://www.carzone.ie/reviews/new-car-reviews/Dacia/Duster/2013/143/

What do you think?

A couple of things worth noting

1. It is built in the same place as the Renault Fluence.

2. It shares the same 1.5 DCi engine as Renault and Nissan Quashquai.

Would you buy one?

If your looking for a car that will break down, give you endless amounts of trouble , spend most of you time owning it in the garage and begging for someone to eventually just rob it and burn it out because you have had enough I would buy it. If your not looking for any of this please stay away and save yourself endless trouble and sleepless nights.

Grahamb23 wrote: »
    If your looking for a car that will break down, give you endless amounts of trouble , spend most of you time owning it in the garage and begging for someone to eventually just rob it and burn it out because you have had enough I would buy it. If your not looking for any of this please stay away and save yourself endless trouble and sleepless nights.

Very poorly informed.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Where did you get your time machine and/or what pub is your bar stool in ?

No time machine required and I don't drink. I am working in the motor industry for the past 20 years and have heard first hand all the problems that go hand in hand with Dacia.... I'm just really shocked Renault managed to find a car that is more unreliable than their own. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Very poorly informed.

Don't be so gullible...

• Advertisement

Don't be so gullible...

So tell us about your recent experiences of new Renaults and Dacias, or maybe your mate could? :)

So tell us about your recent experiences of new Renaults and Dacias, or maybe your mate could? :)

Read the reviews yourself its fairly easy

www.google.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If your looking for a car that will break down, give you endless amounts of trouble , spend most of you time owning it in the garage and begging for someone to eventually just rob it and burn it out because you have had enough I would buy it a 05/06 Passat. If your not looking for any of this please stay away and save yourself endless trouble and sleepless nights maybe buy a Duster.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

R.O.R wrote: »
    FYP

if i could thank that post twice, i would :)

FYP[/Q

Well you cant deny the facts ...

Enjoy :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

whilst I'll stay out of the spat over wheather they are shyte or not, I will say that they look SHYTE in that white.........awfull looking thing.

....they look like a cheap white goods appliance, but then again I guess thats what they are meant to be.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    whilst I'll stay out of the spat over wheather they are shyte or not, I will say that they look SHYTE in that white.........awfull looking thing.

....they look like a cheap white goods appliance, but then again I guess thats what they are meant to be.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We're in the post Celtic Tiger era now. I don't like any type of bling or unnecessary extras, and prefer design where form follows function. I quite like their stripped back efficient bare bones utilitarian look. White also means the owner was smart enough to save the €500 rip off for buying another colour, the whole point of value for money buying. Most of all I like their price. Each to their own. I wouldn't buy one though, a bit too fancy and expensive for me. I'm more of a Sandero man.

no-image-large.gif

For the bling brigade a version of the Sandero called the "Stepway" is on the way

dacia_sandero_stepway_hatchback_2013_front_quarter.jpg

FYP

Well you cant deny the facts ...

Enjoy :cool:

What facts?

The fact we've over 50, post 2010, Renaults on the Fleet, which haven't been trouble free, but aren't all in and out of garages every second day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 daciaduster

No time machine required and I don't drink. I am working in the motor industry for the past 20 years and have heard first hand all the problems that go hand in hand with Dacia.... I'm just really shocked Renault managed to find a car that is more unreliable than their own. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
    you have heard... so you know nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

you have heard... so you know nothing!
    Yeah I know nothing....:confused::)

Time will tell....

:eek: Enjoy your Dacia Duster.... :eek:

What facts?

The fact we've over 50, post 2010, Renaults on the Fleet, which haven't been trouble free, but aren't all in and out of garages every second day?

The fact that Renault give the following issues

Electric window motors going

Sunroof failure

engine coils going

and that is just the start of it.. I have never heard of a Renault that has not been trouble free..

Facts are facts

You should look up the episode of the consumer show where a group of people appeared on the show because all their Renaults (different models) were loosing power, electric window failure and coils going and Renault would not cover them under warranty. Clearly you are involved with Renault in some way or you wouldn't be defending them in this manner. disgraceful way to do business and a disgraceful way to manufacture cars.

Facts are facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Electric window motors going - Theyve gone in my toyota's, bmw, pretty much anything that has one, will kill one

Sunroof failure - The motor or the glass? :eek:

engine coils going - Yip, them dci's are very hard on coils

and that is just the start of it.. I have never heard of a Renault that has not been trouble free..

Facts are facts

You should look up the episode of the consumer show where a group of people appeared on the show because all their Renaults (different models) were loosing power, electric window failure and coils going and Renault would not cover them under warranty. Clearly you are involved with Renault in some way or you wouldn't be defending them in this manner. disgraceful way to do business and a disgraceful way to manufacture cars.

Facts are facts

Yes, Scutter is scutter.

And btw, I wouldnt have a dacia if you paid me, or a renault, but, to say any of this is fact is crap.

Are your facts coming from the 90's? I suppose Fiat and Alfa are also very unreliable?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yes, Scutter is scutter.

And btw, I wouldnt have a dacia if you paid me, or a renault, but, to say any of this is fact is crap.

Motors in the sunroofs.

Someone like you that knows cars (obviously) should know they are **** and they will give ridiculous amounts of trouble. That you can not deny.

• Advertisement

Are you're facts coming from the 90's? I suppose Fiat and Alfa are also very unreliable?
    Current day genius ....

Yes, Scutter is scutter.

And also ... All electrical motors give a bit of trouble but Renault are an exception to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Current day genius ....

Live in the past much?

Sunroof failure
    engine coils going

True of 2004-2007 vintage Megane/Scenic, this is old, old news. Post 2008 are far better. If you are going to add to the conversation of current Dacia/Renault at least do so with something relevant.

And also ... All electrical motors give a bit of trouble but Renault are an exception to this.

Okay, fair enough

Please elaborate on the coil problem in the dci's though..

• Advertisement

Okay, fair enough

Please elaborate on the coil problem in the dci's though..

Elaborate?? they stop working.. and need to be replaced.... what more do you require ?? :rolleyes:

Elaborate?? they stop working.. and need to be replaced.... what more do you require ?? :rolleyes:

Is it due to over tightening of the spark plugs or turbo?

I've always been confused by this

Busted. :pac:

Nothing more graham, thanks

Busted. :pac:

So you're claiming Busted are responsible for failing coils in dci Renaults?

Jesus they make bad music but not THAT bad

Nope, not a single Electric Window motor failure on any of the 2010 onwards cars.
    Sunroof failure

Does the Dacia have a Sunroof to fail?
    engine coils going

You're claiming 20 years experience in the Motor Industry?

Facts are facts

Old news is Old. Previous Gen Renaults did give more issues than a lot of other vehicles, but the new Gen models are much better. Still not bulletproof, but on par with other manufacturers. This information is based on a decent sized pool of vehicles, not what Seamus said in the snug the other night.

Facts are facts

Coils are a notorious weak point on VAG 1.8T Engines, Opel 1.4i Engines & BMW ED Petrols. VAG covered them under warranty on early cars, but there was around a 4 week wait for parts. Don't think Opel did anything. BMW certainly haven't.

Haven't heard of a single coil failure on a 1.5DCi engine from any Renaults or Nissans yet, nor do I expect to ;)

Facts, as you keep saying, are facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Renault not doing too well in the What car reliability table although it does seem to be the older models

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-reliability-survey-2012/263555

• Registered Users Posts: 10 daciaduster

Nothing more graham, thanks
    Petrol and diesel are two different engines. However he has 20 years in motor business.

Nope, not a single Electric Window motor failure on any of the 2010 onwards cars.

Does the Dacia have a Sunroof to fail? Does it matter?? it still has electrics that will fail.

You're claiming 20 years experience in the Motor Industry?
    not claiming. I have 20 years exp.

Old news is Old. Previous Gen Renaults did give more issues than a lot of other
    vehicles, but the new Gen models are much better. Still not bulletproof, but on
    par with other manufacturers. This information is based on a decent sized pool
    of vehicles, not what Seamus said in the snug the other
    night.
    Glad your agreeing with me ...... And I don't know a Seamus... Maybe your mixing up your drinking buddy with someone you think I know...

Coils are a notorious weak point on VAG 1.8T Engines, Opel 1.4i Engines &
    BMW ED Petrols. VAG covered them under warranty on early cars, but there was
    around a 4 week wait for parts. Don't think Opel did anything. BMW certainly
    haven't
    .Havent come across one yet. But clearly not a big issue like Renault.

Haven't heard of a single coil failure on a 1.5DCi engine from any Renaults or
    Nissans yet, nor do I expect to ;)
    Not just talking about the 1.5DCi engines... In fact I haven't mentioned 1.5DCi in any of my previous post.

Facts, as you keep saying, are facts.

Look at the facts again..... Renaultman....

Look at the facts again..... Renaultman....

What manufacturers are reliable from your experience?

• Advertisement
Advertisement