Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Is this the thread which JUST KEEPS ON GIVING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Grahamb23

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is this the thread which JUST KEEPS ON GIVING

Ha ha Yup ....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Asked from your experience, not from articles from 2006 or 2008.

Ok from my experience

Honda Civic & Accord petrol and diesel
    Toyota Yaris, Old model Corolla, Avensis all Years & Rav 2010 -new model
    Mazda 3, 6 , CX-7 & 5
    Some Ford models... Focus being the main one 1.4 &1.6TDCi
    Audi A3,A4&A6 Diesel models

Any models I have not mentioned have been know to give expensive issues.

Some of that data is 5 years old!

Brilliant, keep em coming! :D

oh So sorry here is a more up to date one for you sir..

http://www.world1stlook.com/2013/02/top-ten-most-reliable-used-cars-in-the-world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Toyota highlander,

Toyota Sienna

Acura RL,

Lexus ES,

Honda Ridgeline,

Suppose you sell all of the above too? in great numbers?

Pull the other one Graham.

If you're an example of what/who's in the motor trade, it's no wonder its in the state its in.

• Advertisement

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Toyota highlander,

Toyota Sienna

Acura RL,

Lexus ES,

Honda Ridgeline,

Suppose you sell all of the above too? in great numbers?

Pull the other one Graham.

If you're an example of what/who's in the motor trade, it's no wonder its in the state its in.

Reliability Cheensbo, that was the question. If you cant manage to read the rest of the posts don't bodder to comment..

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Grahamb23 wrote: »
    Reliability Cheensbo, that was the question. If you cant manage to read the rest of the posts don't bodder to comment..

Thank you.

Sure the space shuttle was reliable, but it has nothing to do with this thread either,

This is a discussion forum Graham, and unfortunately you are not in a position to tell me to stop posting, so I'll keep handing you the shovel, as long as you keep digging.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You never mentioned Skoda, what's their expensive issues ?

Skoda for reliability??? cop on.. VW engines and bottom of the barrel electronics fired into them...

Yawn!!! this is turning into super boredom... I will leave ye girls at it .... thanks for the laughs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what's the storage/boot space like? Easy access into the boot with no lip? If I had 16k to spend on a car I wouldn't hesitate on this car. Wouldn't have to worry about nct for 4 years.
    Reading this thread has made me realise how snobby us Irish are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 daciaduster

Ok from my experience

Honda Civic & Accord petrol and diesel
    Toyota Yaris, Old model Corolla, Avensis all Years & Rav 2010 -new model
    Mazda 3, 6 , CX-7 & 5
    Some Ford models... Focus being the main one 1.4 &1.6TDCi
    Audi A3,A4&A6 Diesel models

Any models I have not mentioned have been know to give expensive issues.
    So "any models I have not mentioned have been know to give expensive issues" must be 95% of the world's cars . Now I ask: where is Renault in these 95% ?

Yawn!!! this is turning into super boredom... I will leave ye girls at it .... thanks for the laughs....

The pleasure has been all ours.

Where do you rank the Pug HDI engines for reliability and the Nissan Dcis?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The pleasure has been all ours.

Where do you rank the Pug HDI engines for reliability and the Nissan Dcis?
    Even though they are the same engine and that the only reason the manufactures changed the HDI to DCis in Nissan was to be different to Peugeot/Citroen because they started out as pretty poor but in the 2004-2010 models its been ok/good. Mazda even incorporated in into the 1.6 diesel Mazda 3 when it first came out in 2004 and never gave them any trouble. In fact the replacement for the Hiace is going to be called Proace and is really only a rebadged Expert with the same 1.6 engine. So if Toyota a willing to give it a go it must be ok..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Even though they are the same engine and that the only reason the manufactures changed the HDI to DCis in Nissan was to be different to Peugeot/Citroen because they started out as pretty poor but in the 2004-2010 models its been ok/good. Mazda even incorporated in into the 1.6 diesel Mazda 3 when it first came out in 2004 and never gave them any trouble. In fact the replacement for the Hiace is going to be called Proace and is really only a rebadged Expert with the same 1.6 engine. So if Toyota a willing to give it a go it must be ok..

So, the €3,000 repair estimate on a 1.6D Mazda 3 we got, from a Mazda dealer, must have been a figment of my imagination as they never give any trouble.

Back to reading honest john or other websites Mr. Mitty.

R.O.R wrote: »
    So, the €3,000 repair estimate on a 1.6D Mazda 3 we got, from a Mazda dealer, must have been a figment of my imagination as they never give any trouble.

Back to reading honest john or other websites Mr. Mitty.

The €3000 you spent on your car clearly came from bad management of your engine R.O.R .:eek: I would suggest a basic car maintenance course in FAS or something on those lines. You cant blame the engine for your laziness.

Or you could look at an honest John article :D

• Advertisement

Even though they are the same engine and that the only reason the manufactures changed the HDI to DCis in Nissan was to be different to Peugeot/Citroen

Could they not of purchased the engine from Ford or Volvo if they wanted to be associated with better makes?

Or better yet get an off the shelf engine made by Renault if they really wanted to avoid PSA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Are you getting confused here; surely the dCI in the Nissan is the same dCI that comes from their partner Renault with whom Nissan share a chief executive Carlos Ghosn rather than Peugeot/Citroen whose HDI engines are substantially the same as those used in Ford, Volvo and Mini? Do French companies confuse you?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Are you getting confused here; surely the dCI in the Nissan is the same dCI that comes from their partner Renault with whom Nissan share a chief executive Carlos Ghosn rather than Peugeot/Citroen whose HDI engines are substantially the same as those used in Ford, Volvo and Mini? Do French companies confuse you?
    No , French companies don't confuse me but little fellas like you do , that have to spend a hour looking up tit bits of useless information to try to make yourself feel intelligent and worth while. when the truth is that in the real world people like me are laughing at you because of your insecurity. Don't include me in your posts again i'm bored with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I was just reading this thread wondering where these people come from. Then I read Grahamb's location.

You couldn't make it up :pac::pac::pac:

My contribution to the Duster, I think they're really nice, it's just something about their basicness (is that a word?). They just seam very honest:)

My mum was concidering one but she couldn't wait so she got a cee'd instead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'd be inclined to agree more with Graham than any of the other posts. Renaults are poor regarding reliability. Actually, all french cars are rubbish, as are all Italian cars and all german cars. And almost all recent Japanese cars to a lesser extent. If you don't agree, I have some lovely fresh kangoos you might like to buy off me.. As for Toyota going down the road of a rebadged expert as a new Hiace - NOOOOOOO...the end of a legend.. On the plus side, most italian, french and German cars are much more interesting, comfortable and characterful to drive and own than Japanese/Korean models. You trade off what you value. Reliability is not the b all and end all of motoring. Somtimes character is more valuable than always starting and never going wrong..

I can't tell who is winding up who anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I can't tell who is winding up who anymore.
    With the fine exception of the 2.0 HDI and the 2.1HDI engines(everything else falls apart around them), I'd pretty much stand over what I said. If you are going to argue VW, Merc(since the 123s)Audi, I'll have a quiet laugh. I'd imagine the Duster is good for light use and short term ownership, ie 5-7 years max, like a washing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

mickdw wrote: »
    That actually imo is far and away its best angle.

Saw one the other day in the work car park, felt embarrassed to be even walking past it. Awful yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

While I have no doubt that Grahamb23 is winding us up (I'm still p!ss1ng myself laughing after reading that some diesels have coil packs :D), there is some element of truth in what he says about Renaults being crap. They do give a lot of electrical and other problems. The newer ones are a big improvement compared to the awful rubbish like the Laguna II etc, but in fairness, it would be hard for their cars to get any worse!

I don't believe in stereotyping all French and Italian cars just because of a few bad apples, though. Modern German cars are absolutely nothing to write home about reliability wise either - BMW and Volkswagen Group are really living off past glories. The lack of quality control in BMW's engineering department is simply staggering these days - how else do you explain the fact that for four whole years, the N47 diesel had a design flaw that could result in €6,000 + worth of repairs due to problems with the timing chain design?

At least Toyota will recall cars for every little thing, and God knows, I would rather walk than ever own a Toyota again (apart from the GT86 of course).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Albert E. Arkwright

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Nowadays, you cannot go by make any longer, only model.

Dusters were released in other countries several years ahead of Ireland and have proved reliable to date, and its still early enough days. Does that mean all Dacia's and Renault's are, and forever will be reliable ? No. There are VW's that I would avoid like the plague, does that mean all VW's are unreliable ? No. Some recent Toyota's have been a disaster, does that mean all Toyota's are ? No. Fiats gave many problems over the years, does that mean the last Fiat Panda or Punto is unreliable ? No. Model is all you can go by nowadays, not the make. But I for one am glad many buyers write a model off just because of its make, that leaves some tasty reliable bargains for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Don't think anyone on here would relate Renault to reliability to be honest and they wouldn't be a make I'd ever put to the top of my shopping list but all makes have their problems mainly because they share so many common components. The Duster is an interesting addition to the Irish market at the perfect time. The price point does hint at possibly cheaper components being used and maybe this will result in a lower reliability rate but I think all we can do is wait and see and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. I think they'll make for a serious bargain in the second hand market if the reliability pans out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Finally saw a Duster in the wild this morning.. silver OY reg.
    Glad to see people are finally getting their cars.
    Definitely has a presence on the road and stands out - Looks wider and more squat than I remember when I test drove it. Still like it a lot.

I'm quite surprised by the amount of dismissal it has received here from numerous posters/detractors. Surely more choice in the market - esp. at the cheaper end of things is a good thing?! Fair enough it's not to everyone's taste but it fits the bill perfectly for many so why the need to constantly criticise?!

Saw a Sandero on the road the other day too, it's not a bad looking car at all.
    Just a pity Dacia's wesite is completely rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Some of the detraction is from a vested interest so I would take that with a pinch of salt tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Nowadays, you cannot go by make any longer, only model.

Dusters were released in other countries several years ahead of Ireland and have proved reliable to date, and its still early enough days. Does that mean all Dacia's and Renault's are, and forever will be reliable ? No. There are VW's that I would avoid like the plague, does that mean all VW's are unreliable ? No. Some recent Toyota's have been a disaster, does that mean all Toyota's are ? No. Fiats gave many problems over the years, does that mean the last Fiat Panda or Punto is unreliable ? No. Model is all you can go by nowadays, not the make. But I for one am glad many buyers write a model off just because of its make, that leaves some tasty reliable bargains for the rest of us.

It's really important what you say and I would go even further:
    Has the Romania-sourced Duster proven itself reliable ? yes
    Has the India-sourced Duster proven itself reliable ? Not yet

A car being reliable or not depends on so many criteria, and defo much more complex than just a badge. Production plant may be. The Duster is built in India for just a few month and the demand being high, that may put pressure on the quality level.

We've already seen the sills issue (addressed, I'm glad), that raised a 'climate concern' and maybe some other small issues can show up in the future, and there is always the beta-testing factor anyway (for any product). I'd be happy to review my judgment in a couple of years.

I personally would be more comfy with the Sandero, that is also quite reliable, made is Romania, and this latest model is just a heavy facelift. Waiting for the Stepway though. Not sure why they don't sell it just yet here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

kona wrote: »
    Saw one the other day in the work car park, felt embarrassed to be even walking past it. Awful yoke.

yep, totally get you on that,

I was behind this one last week, or maybe it was a dishwasher on wheels.......:pac:

dacia are so tight, they don't even give you a cover for the rear tow eye ...... tight romanian bastards!

7PUbzS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I think it looks atrocious in white but nice enough in every other colour.

I don't think it is ugly, in fact I find the whole design refreshingly honest and devoid of design frippery and rubbish that weighs down most modern cars. It also looks far better in the flesh and quite eye catching in silver.

And to all the folk getting agitated why no uproar on this hapless lot, arguably far uglier and far more expensive?

lexus-ct200h-1_1752159c.jpg

ssangyong_1_1024-600x400.jpg

Large%20Image%20(optional).jpg?p=110909_04:03

mercedes-b-class-180912.jpg

Large%20Image%20(optional).jpg?p=101229_12:54

I have to say I really like their paired back no frills, no non essentials look.

I also think they look good in white, and it says owner was smart enough to say fck off to the €600 rip off for any other colour. The whole point of a budget new car buy.

MidlandsM wrote: »

dacia are so tight, they don't even give you a cover for the rear tow eye ...... tight romanian bastards!

That should be tight French bastards.

And I much prefer that look, to trying to hide it away with some silly woman like plastic cover, that get's lost anyway.

Form should follow function.

• Advertisement

That should be tight French bastards.

And I much prefer that look, to trying to hide it away with some silly woman like plastic cover, that get's lost anyway.

Form should follow function.

utter utter bollox....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It shares the same 1.5 DCi engine as Renault

Oh no!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

kona wrote: »

Jaysus, poor you. Not everybody can afford a BMW or a Audi :rolleyes:

utter utter bollox....

Great, because the more allergic you are to the Duster, the more I like em . . . .

With this reaction they are definitely growing on me.

What's your next rant about . . no vanity mirror ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

almighty1 wrote: »
    Jaysus, poor you. Not everybody can afford a BMW or a Audi :rolleyes:

If you can afford a Duster then you can afford a BMW or Audi....

true, so true .... and it just goes to show that people will buy any ugly looking sh!t once its got a 131 plate on it, to impress themselves.

just like they did back in the 80's when the bargain bucket Lada's and FSO's arrived here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

true, so true .... and it just goes to show that people will buy any ugly looking sh!t once its got a 131 plate on it, to impress themselves.

just like they did back in the 80's when the bargain bucket Lada's and FSO's arrived here.

To be fair, people can buy what they want. Your opinion is not theres. Id never wish the world to be so boring that everyone wants the same cars.

Throwing the oul reg plate thing at people gets old too. Personally id never by a brand new of any model. But thats just me, if others want to then fine. Its their money not mine. Whatever makes them happy.

If this is a Value for money 4x4 what of it.

listermint wrote: »
    To be fair, people can buy what they want. Your opinion is not theres

where did I say it was on both counts??.....please don't try and put words in my mouth Listermint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

I'm talking new. Just some of the comments are so conceited around here.

Its the uppedy culture that still exists in Ireland today where people will break the bank to buy posh cars even though they can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭gooner99

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delthedriver
    Oh no!

Does this engine give a lot of problems?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delthedriver
    Oh no!

Does this engine give a lot of problems?

yep ... but que all the post's now with the same old uninformed shyte "ohhhh no, they're bombproof, tried and tested, blah blah blah ......

• Advertisement
Advertisement