Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lutecia wrote: »
    Another proof of the struggle of the middle classes.
    Premiums have never been so strong, while people go for low cost/smaller cars.

To be fair, bmw are the only premium brand selling, they've launched the 518d and 316d with low emissions. And if you compare what a 180 odd horsepower bmw cost 6 years ago compared to now its no wonder premium is becoming mainstream, they're excellent value.

I wonder what proportion of that is rental car sales. Surprised to see the skoda rapid on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe it will, but my understanding is that datsun is a sub brand for the likes of India, South America etc. so we are as unlikely to see the datsun brand as we are to see nissan selling rebadged dusters here.

Datsun is a sub brand of Nissan just like Dacia is the sub brand of Renault.
    Now of course they may use this brand or not depending on a number of elements like how installed in Nissan in the market, a bit like Renault did with Dacia.
    The Sandero/Logan/Duster are sold in Renault in many countries, I guess they assess each country. Datsun could defo be sold in Europe considering the success of Dacia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

r3nu4l wrote: »
    You guys do realise that Nissan invented this whole vehicle class segment when they released the Qashqai right? They were the originators of this entire class of vehicle.

Thought the Honda HR-V was the first of these. Not really a car, not really a jeep. Careep maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cross-over class imo.

Started by XC-70 I think?

biko wrote: »
    Cross-over class imo.

Started by XC-70 I think?

Rav4 got there before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

if you compare what a 180 odd horsepower bmw cost 6 years ago compared to now its no wonder premium is becoming mainstream, they're excellent value.

I'll bet that none of the reduction in price is due to a reduction in manufacturer cost or dealer premium but related to a reduction in VRT due to the perverse emissions standards. Given the rate of tax elsewhere int he economy, it is bizarre that there has been a substantial boost to one segment of the car market.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'll bet that none of the reduction in price is due to a reduction in manufacturer cost or dealer premium but related to a reduction in VRT due to the perverse emissions standards. Given the rate of tax elsewhere int he economy, it is bizarre that there has been a substantial boost to one segment of the car market.

I don't think a buyer really cares what portion of the car is vat, vrt, dealer margin or manufacturers margin. The fact is that BMW in particular are doing very well at the moment and part of the reason is the price.
    I do think that while the brand has been cheapened somewhat, its not as diluted as say Audi where its easy to now say they're just posh volkswagens.

The figures aren't massive anyway so its easy to have anomalies. July registrations of the 5 series were 117

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don't think a buyer really cares what portion of the car is vat, vrt, dealer margin or manufacturers margin. The fact is that BMW in particular are doing very well at the moment and part of the reason is the price.
    I do think that while the brand has been cheapened somewhat, its not as diluted as say Audi where its easy to now say they're just posh volkswagens.

The figures aren't massive anyway so its easy to have anomalies. July registrations of the 5 series were 117

I fully agree that the "premium" nature of certain brands has reduced. In the UK, the 3 series took over from the Mondeo int he middle of the last boom, funny that in Ireland it's during the worst recession.

My point about the reduced level of VRT was effectively an comment on inefficient government - the actual impact of reduced CO2 emissions would never have been efficiently captured in a capital tax - much better in fuel duty. However, its effect in the current deep recession is to make premium cars more affordable. A bit like a Giffen good, in some ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Rav4 got there before that

I'll put my money on the Talbot Ranchero starting it all

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'll put my money on the Talbot Ranchero starting it all

Ranchero was a ford ;)

Ranchero was a ford ;)

Opps I meant Rancho

Lada Niva is arguably an olden day crossover. (Also launched in 1977)

Lada Niva is arguably an olden day crossover. (Also launched in 1977)

Henderson and Bailey down my way used to sell bucket loads of them and the rest of the Lada range. The Niva was actually very good.

Yep, there's an 05 one locally.

Yep, there's an 05 one locally.

Now that I'd like to see. A former ARonline contributor began to import them new to the UK in 2009.

• Advertisement

Now that I'd like to see. A former ARonline contributor began to import them new to the UK in 2009.

photo0439.jpg
    photo0438i.jpg

They've since repainted it all different colours!

(Pic 3 years old)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1 Alfa sold this year? It's hardly worth funding a website, nevermind space in a dealers.
    Lutecia wrote: »
    1 in August ... 12 to date. Sad times ...

And she hasn't even hit the road yet.
    1mjn.jpg

Not even an additional car on the road for Alfa as it replaced a written off 2012 Giulietta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

No puzzle they only sold one, not a good looking car at all. But no doubt if you actually owned an alfa you would comprehend how fantastic they are, puzzle than solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Honda CRV or Freelander???

No, those are actually SUVs. The Qashqai is a fake SUV just for fashion's sake: most aren't even 4WD.

Opps I meant Rancho

Yes, the Rancho was pretty much the same thing as the Qashqai, a dull hatchback dressed up to look a bit like a Jeep, as we called them in those days:

matra-simca-rancho.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

My uncle had 2 of these, sold not so many years back. Fantastic cars.
    This is indeed probably the first SUV

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was in a dealership two weeks ago and spotted two of the different Dacia models, couldn't get over the price tag for a new car.

Gota to say I'd def consider one, mpg is good, tax is reasonable and all the rest, Very tempting.

Unlike some people posting in this thread I don't give a monkeys what a car "looks like", as long as it does the job, is reasonably safe and cost affective to run. some people seem far far too hung up on looks of a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was in Brazil last week and the Duster there was badged as a Renault. Lots of them around... seemed pretty popular there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Cabaal wrote: »
    Was in a dealership two weeks ago and spotted two of the different Dacia models, couldn't get over the price tag for a new car.

Gota to say I'd def consider one, mpg is good, tax is reasonable and all the rest, Very tempting.

Unlike some people posting in this thread I don't give a monkeys what a car "looks like", as long as it does the job, is reasonably safe and cost affective to run. some people seem far far too hung up on looks of a car.

I have a duster they are basic , comfortable and ok on diesel ..bit of height is a nice change!! I had one or tweo small probs ..sorted under warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

some people seem far far too hung up on looks of a car.

Some people seem far far too hung up on the registration plate of a car.

I drove one for two weeks and didn't think it felt all that safe. The brakes are rubbish and it tended to understeer.

some people seem far far too hung up on looks of a car.

I don't think looks are the big issue: the car looks like an SUV which is the idea, right? Even though most will be front-wheel-drive only.

The big issue seems to be that they are built really cheaply, have no sound insulation, ride well but handle atrociously and are slow and underpowered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't think looks are the big issue:

You'd hope that,
    Yet there are likely more posts in this thread complaining about how it looks (one example calling it something that looks like a dishwasher) then its performance or handling.

Its kinda sad really,

Yet there are likely more posts in this thread complaining about how it looks (one example calling it something that looks like a dishwasher) then its performance or handling.

I'd say a lot more people have seen them than driven them, or ever plan to drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I have been considering a Duster for some time now, but I have been waiting for some build up of a bit of history on them before I make up my mind.

Today I came across a Dacia forum in the UK and it makes very interesting reading.
    • Parts availability - Months (3-4) waiting for warrantee parts as the are just not available. One owner had his Duster in the dealer for months waiting for a steering rack that is just not showing up, with no courtesy car on offer! :eek: Almost reminds one of Priory Hall syndrome!
    • Talk of insurers writing them off for minor damage due to the parts unavailability issues. (Reluctant to cover hire cars for extended periods)
    • Rust seems to be raising itself as an issue on cars less than a year old! Repairs are done but the rust shows up again soon after.
    Makes one think!

REXER wrote: »
    I have been considering a Duster for some time now, but I have been waiting for some build up of a bit of history on them before I make up my mind.

Today I came across a Dacia forum in the UK and it makes very interesting reading.
    • Parts availability - Months (3-4) waiting for warrantee parts as the are just not available. One owner had his Duster in the dealer for months waiting for a steering rack that is just not showing up, with no courtesy car on offer! :eek: Almost reminds one of Priory Hall syndrome!
    • Talk of insurers writing them off for minor damage due to the parts unavailability issues. (Reluctant to cover hire cars for extended periods)
    • Rust seems to be raising itself as an issue on cars less than a year old! Repairs are done but the rust shows up again soon after.
    Makes one think!

Can you link to any of that?

The steering rack should be standard Renault fair and shouldn't be an issue.

Rust on cars less than 12 months old? Where is the rust and how bad is it?

And I've never heard insurers having any issue with covering them. I can easily and cheaply get cover on an MG6 in Ireland and they're as rare as rocking horse ****.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Saw a DSPCA one today, wonder are they moving over to it for all their vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sat in a Duster during the weekend. Makes a Terra(ble) spec Toyota with its black door pulls, and shiny black (or worse, grey sometimes) plastic everywhere feel like a luxury saloon by comparison. Yes I accept that not everyone wants (or needs) a luxury saloon, and I certainly prefer a car that's solid mechanically over one that has a nice feeling interior, but there is a limit to the cheapness of an interior that I can tolerate.

And I wish people would stop saying it's 'safe' or even 'reasonably safe', because it's neither. No ESP and only a three star NCAP safety rating is most certainly NOT safe by today's standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Can you link to any of that?

The steering rack should be standard Renault fair and shouldn't be an issue.

Rust on cars less than 12 months old? Where is the rust and how bad is it?

And I've never heard insurers having any issue with covering them. I can easily and cheaply get cover on an MG6 in Ireland and they're as rare as rocking horse ****.

Steering rack tale of woe!
    http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/1386-steering-rack-tale-of-woe/

Rusty Dusters
    http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/706-do-you-have-a-rusty-duster/

Take a look around on the forum for any more issues!
    These are people that like the cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Sister bought a brand new one over a year ago and it's given her zero trouble. They had it all over France and Spain this summer camping and MPG is pretty good and it ticks all the boxes. Brought it for a spin only last weekend actually and yes its' no BMW but for the money it really is a fantastic buy and you know what it drives just fine. Had a good look round it also and as far as rust issues I noticed zip. Mightn't be like that in 10 years time but for the moment it's ok and for the 14500 she paid for it they are happy as a pig in sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Have mine for 3 months now and only 1 issue. The negative terminal on the battery came loose and car wouldn't start. Simple fix. As for the handling its a tall car so of course its not going to handle like a saloon and its much better than the Outlander I had previously. Also 50mpg. Of all the cars I've had over the past 20 years it compares favourably with any of them. I'm delighted with mine so far. :D

furtzy wrote: »
    As for the handling its a tall car so of course its not going to handle like a saloon

The reviews panning the Duster's handling are comparing it to other fake SUVs like the Qashqai or Yeti, not to a saloon.

The reviews panning the Duster's handling are comparing it to other fake SUVs like the Qashqai or Yeti, not to a saloon.

I have no issues with the handling at all. All you can do is drive one and decide yourself. Much better than going by the reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Do those cars advertise themselves as SUVs? I thought they defined themselves as Crossovers. :confused:

As for the Duster, for me the NCAP rating would be the biggest issue and for that reason I could never buy one.

If I needed a car with a 'bit of power' I wouldn't buy a Duster or any car under 150 bhp at the very minimum. If I wanted a car with great handling I wouldn't be buying a Duster or any Crossover for that matter.

However, if power and handling didn't matter and the Duster NCAP rating was higher then, if it suited my purposes, I'd have one.

Do those cars advertise themselves as SUVs? I thought they defined themselves as Crossovers. :confused:

Exactly: a fake SUV.

A car that looks a bit like an SUV, but doesn't have the excuse that it is designed for off-road use. So it is top-heavy and handles worse than a same sized hatch or estate because...

Range Rovers are cool? Something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A car that looks a bit like an SUV, but doesn't have the excuse that it is designed for off-road use. So it is top-heavy and handles worse than a same sized hatch or estate because...

Ah you were just sneering, sorry, I thought you were saying that these companies were advertising their cars as SUVs. I see now it's just a sort of rant, carry on :)

such anger..where is it coming from? :confused:...don't buy one and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I was in Spain last week and spotted numerous Dacia Dusters.

They did not look out of place parked alongside Nissan Qashquai, Nissan Juke, Toyota Rav4 , Kia SUV and Hyundai i35, in golf club car parks.

They seem quite popular in self drive fleets, and indeed seemed quite capable of transporting a couple of golfers and all their gear.

I don't think Dacia ever set out to compete in the Range Rover market, but they are certainly holding their own in the entry level SUV market.

As for a new car having minor problems fixed under warranty, it would not be too different to Renault ,VW, or indeed any other manufacturer with a new model.

Of course time will tell...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As for the Duster, for me the NCAP rating would be the biggest issue and for that reason I could never buy one.

If I needed a car with a 'bit of power' I wouldn't buy a Duster or any car under 150 bhp at the very minimum. If I wanted a car with great handling I wouldn't be buying a Duster or any Crossover for that matter.

However, if power and handling didn't matter and the Duster NCAP rating was higher then, if it suited my purposes, I'd have one.

Fair point, but the NCAP rating keeps cropping up.
    As discussed earlier in this thread, the NCAP rating is due to the Duster not having ESP and other computerised doo-dah's, but it seems to crash just fine compared to other cars.
    Some people have stated that a car without ESP is a death trap, going a bit far IMO and another point would be, does an average FWD >100bhp econo-box REALLY need traction control, launch control, ESP and other fully computerised stability programs? Most will never go beyond 90 km/h.
    My current CMax just about has ABS and I could live without it, you just have to know how to drive.
    In fact, the current trend of deliberately not training drivers for emergencies and an over-reliance on gadgets means that any "new" driver who drives an old car without all that flim-flam will inevitably steer into a crash, because he is used to stomp on the brakes, yank the steering wheel over, close his eyes and hope for the best.
    IMO any new driver should have to learn in a MKII Escort with skinny tires, 200 bhp and no gizmos whatsoever. On a gravel track. In the wet. And dark.
    No wonder we're seeing more and more "American driving" here, where everything is OK as long as it's straight on and nothing unexpected happens.

furtzy wrote: »
    such anger..where is it coming from? :confused:...don't buy one and you'll be grand

I'm not angry, as r3nu4l says, I am sneering.

These cars are stupid, and I will point and laugh if I want.

Whatever gets you through the day.

• Advertisement

Fair comment. You are entitled to your opinion too.

What car do you drive yourself? Would you recommend buying one & why?:)

What car do you drive yourself? Would you recommend buying one & why?:)

We have a Mini and an S-Max, I highly recommend both, but neither one is a sensible substitute for someone looking at a Duster.

We have a Mini and an S-Max, I highly recommend both, but neither one is a sensible substitute for someone looking at a Duster.

Two very nice cars indeed. Duster is absolutely not in the same league.

However for some people on a limited budget to buy a new car the Duster is not a bad option.:)

However for some people on a limited budget to buy a new car the Duster is not a bad option.

I would disagree.

For someone on a limited budget who has to buy a new car that looks a bit like an SUV, OK, but nobody really has to. Buying a second hand car that looks like a car would be a better plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would disagree.

For someone on a limited budget who has to buy a new car that looks a bit like an SUV, OK, but nobody really has to. Buying a second hand car that looks like a car would be a better plan.

Yeti
    (And I would consider a Duster)

• Advertisement
Advertisement