Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

In the flesh the car looks and feels very cheap. In saying that, it looks like great value at that money and will appeal to a fairly large chunk of the Irish market.

I didn't think that at all, looks and feels 'spartan' and solid I thought. Kinda remind you of a Nissan X-Trail.

A solid 4wd with decent space for 19k with a 3 year warranty will be a no brainer for a lot of people. Especially as a second car.

They will also be incredibly popular on the second hand market, imagine a 2 year old one with at least a year but maybe 3 years left on the warranty for 10-12k for AWD.

The premium for four wheel drive is a big percentage but not crazy compared to what Nissan or Skoda charge so I'd imagine plenty of people will take up that option, especially as it stays in the B car tax.

They are massively popular in Germany and France and it will be the same here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

RoverJames wrote: »
    19k for an AWD one, that'd buy a lot of legacy diesel second hand.

Have you any views on Legacy, how would it compare with Duster? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

19k for an AWD one, that'd buy a lot of legacy diesel second hand.
    But why pay 19k for a second hand car with no warranty, not knowing the real history of the car, not taken away it would be a nice second hand car, and be worried about every little dent and scrap.

These are what I would call new car bangernomics!

I'd see them as fairly incomparable tbh, reg snobs are as bad as badge snobs imo, spending 19k on a car because its new and cheap makes little to no sense to me. Warranties have benefit no doubt but the benefit is over valued by many.
    You'd be as worried about your new duster getting a scrape surely? It's not hard to find mint 20k used cars. Most would have a warranty too, not for 5 years of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

To be fair, I'd rather a 2/3 year old legacy over a brand new duster too. But that's just me!

copacetic wrote: »
    I didn't think that at all, looks and feels 'spartan' and solid I thought. Kinda remind you of a Nissan X-Trail.

A solid 4wd with decent space for 19k with a 3 year warranty will be a no brainer for a lot of people. Especially as a second car.

They will also be incredibly popular on the second hand market, imagine a 2 year old one with at least a year but maybe 3 years left on the warranty for 10-12k for AWD.

The premium for four wheel drive is a big percentage but not crazy compared to what Nissan or Skoda charge so I'd imagine plenty of people will take up that option, especially as it stays in the B car tax.

They are massively popular in Germany and France and it will be the same here IMO.

I think this will be a major seller. If it is selling well in Germany it should do well here. It is an ideal family car, well priced , good warranty. It may also be bought as the second car in some homes. Price wise it must be in Ford Fiesta territory.
    The Renault Fluence which I understand is built in the same factory has been a good seller in Ireland, see no real reasons why it's Dacia Duster cousin won't sell equally well. The class B road tax is also a great Sales feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

For me, it wouldbe one I would consider. Until I see the car and drive it, thats the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd get one. Wouldn't bother with a diesel engine though. Don't like them yokes

For me, it wouldbe one I would consider. Until I see the car and drive it, thats the key.

Agree. But it would be nice to drive a brand new SUV for the price of a new Fiesta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Does it come with a petrol engine?

1.6 petrol version available in Uk

1.6 petrol version available in Uk

Would be a waste bringing it into Ireland anyway :rolleyes:

cgal093 wrote: »

Maybe in a few years I could pick one up just because it'd be different. I always wanted to go to Eastern europe to get some rare minimalist cars that are still in production there but here people would turn up their noses at. Not a massive load of variety over here, everyone just buys the QashQai or whatever is popular. In England i always see a much better variety of cars than here. Don't care that its only a Dacia its nice to see something different.

Yes, no point bringing petrol version to Ireland, new car buyers seem obsessed with buying diesel cars. With fifty mpg on diesel, the petrol version would be a slow seller.

eth0 wrote: »
    Maybe in a few years I could pick one up just because it'd be different. I always wanted to go to Eastern europe to get some rare minimalist cars that are still in production there but here people would turn up their noses at. Not a massive load of variety over here, everyone just buys the QashQai or whatever is popular. In England i always see a much better variety of cars than here. Don't care that its only a Dacia its nice to see something different.

Agree it would be a change from the quashqai, which has been a major success.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I'd rather a 2/3 year old legacy over a brand new duster too. But that's just me!

How much would a 2/3 year legacy cost?
    It is not that long ago people opted to buy a second hand car instead of a Skoda.
    Skoda as part of the VW Group have been a major success.
    IMO Dacia should do equally well under Renault ownership.
    Just noticed my local Dacia agent is Kearys in Cork, Kinsale Roundabout. They are also Renault dealers.

How much would a 2/3 year legacy cost?..............

Asking €15,950 for this 2009 model...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/SPORT-2./6013353528741460/advert?channel=CARS

Less than 30k miles on it so presumably it's fresh enough. Not the most impressive Legacy I've seen admittedly.

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

By 2013 there should be a few 2010 models available for AWD Duster money.

I can see the appeal of the base spec 2wd model for people with no interest in cars yet who want a new one for whatever reason, despite seeing the appeal I still think it's not a great option as the only reasons they'll be bought is they're new and cheap.

They won't be bought because they are light on fuel and cheap to tax, lots of 2nd options fulfill that criteria. So too the warranty, 2nd hand Korean options will have 5 years warranty left on them.

I think lots of people who never bought new before will buy these and no doubt be delighted with their purchase, which is great :)

The new car thing wears off quickly though. The parents bought new in 1996 and in 1997 were on about changing in the new year for a 1998 model, looking back on it though, happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I took one of these out for a spin the other day. They have 2 in the Renault garage in Wexford. A mate is buying one and I'm giving it serious consideration as well.

The model I drove (2wd base model) didn't feel particularly cheap, the interior was no worse than any otHer base spec motor I've been in. Front electric windows, fogs, mp3 cd player etc. was a really nice drive as well. They have the 4wd also which I'm hoping to test drive tomorrow. It's also the signature model with a/c alloys etc. both are left hand drives.

I think the conparisons to the legacy are a bit unfair, its comparing apples and oranges. In 2015 you'll be able to pick up a 2 year old duster for half nothing. The guy in the garage was saying they have a 2011 qashqai on the forecourt for €20k and he hasn't a hope of selling it with the 2 dusters sitting beside it.

Anyone know how far the engine could be pushed with a retune/map/chip? Presume the answer will be the same for these and the qashqai?

I took one of these out for a spin the other day. They have 2 in the Renault garage in Wexford. A mate is buying one and I'm giving it serious consideration as well. ............................................... The guy in the garage was saying they have a 2011 qashqai on the forecourt for €20k and he hasn't a hope of selling it with the 2 dusters sitting beside it...............

I wonder why he told ye that ;)
    I bet you €100 that Qashqai will be sold by the end of October, post up a pic of it showing the reg and the garage it's in if you want to take up the wager :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

qashqai will sell all day long. Salesman knows that. Planting the seed in your head that the new duster is a far better bet than a slightly used best seller is good salesmanship from him.

• Advertisement

I wonder why he told ye that ;)
    I bet you €100 that Qashqai will be sold by the end of October, post up a pic of it showing the reg and the garage it's in if you want to take up the wager :)

Ha,ha fair enough, he probably was in sales mode! If I had the €100 to throw away on betting randomers off the internet I probably wouldn't be buying a duster!!!

Btw this is the qashqai http://m.menapiamotors.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=15113404417996950

mickdw wrote: »
    qashqai will sell all day long. Salesman knows that. Planting the seed in your head that the new duster is a far better bet than a slightly used best seller is good salesmanship from him.

I know the qashqai is a favourite over the last few years but I'm not sure what the justification is for an extra what, €10k brand new? Or 4k ish when comparing new duster vs year old qashqai? Other than the badge obviously.

The main thing that's holding me back is the 3 star NCAP. I'm wondering where the safety flaws lie, and how bad a 3 star rating is nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

3 star ncap sounds very poor really although its probably better than everything that was on sale 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cheapest qashqai is €22745 before discounts.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cheapest qashqai is €22745 before discounts.

I was thinking around 25k based on this?

http://www.cbg.ie/newcars/Nissan/Qashqai.aspx

Source is Nissan website

mickdw wrote: »
    3 star ncap sounds very poor really although its probably better than everything that was on sale 5 years ago.

Just about the last thing I'd look at when buying a car. High safety ratings take their toll on the aestethics of the car (nice round front to give the pedestrian you have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of hitting a soft landing), efficiency and a few other things as well

It should be remembered that many 5 star cars on sale are on the old system and wouldn't even get 4 stars on the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The main thing that's holding me back is the 3 star NCAP. I'm wondering where the safety flaws lie, and how bad a 3 star rating is nowadays
    In the offset test the Duster gave marginal protection for the chest and legs and there was a lot of rearward movement of the A pillar, clutch and steering wheel by modern standards. It's not "bad" as such but other cars, even ones a few years old, are better. For instance, a 2005 VW Passat has 6 mm A pillar movement and 0 mm steering wheel movement compared to the Duster's 45 mm and 19 mm.

It should be remembered that many 5 star cars on sale are on the old system and wouldn't even get 4 stars on the new one.

Is there a site that details each vehicles test & ratings? I'd be interested to know if there are issues with the car in the event if an accident.

• Advertisement

Euro ncap website has them all.

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx

Wouldn't mind one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dacia_Logan_Pickup_rot.JPG Not fast but a useful yoke

1.6 MPI petrol engine (anything to do with the MPI used by Skoda?)

The NCAP rating may be the soft underbelly of this car. But is it a mind over matter issue? It is not that long ago cars had only 1 airbag! How many other cars have 3 star rating?

eth0 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dacia_Logan_Pickup_rot.JPG Not fast but a useful yoke

1.6 MPI petrol engine (anything to do with the MPI used by Skoda?)

Skoda Fabia, VW Lupo and SEAT Arosa

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Like them or loath them, they fill a gap in the market, and they will sell like hot cakes.

Effectively a basic diesel Renault SUV for Clio money.

Petrol Clio money is 11k

BrianD3 wrote: »
    In the offset test the Duster gave marginal protection for the chest and legs and there was a lot of rearward movement of the A pillar, clutch and steering wheel by modern standards. It's not "bad" as such but other cars, even ones a few years old, are better. For instance, a 2005 VW Passat has 6 mm A pillar movement and 0 mm steering wheel movement compared to the Duster's 45 mm and 19 mm.

When the 15k duster crashes into the 15k clio, i'd rather be in the duster.

Eh?

sorry :o the lupo and arosa have a 1L mpi :o

• Advertisement

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Jellicoe wrote: »
    When the 15k duster crashes into the 15k clio, i'd rather be in the duster.
    Not sure about that, check the kerb weight of the Duster - it's lighter than it looks, maybe 100 kg more than the current Clio.

Also there is a new Clio on the way soon. 2013 Clio vs 2013 Duster in a head on crash - I'd pick the Clio.

Petrol Clio money is 11k

3 door base 1.2 clio petrol starts at 13k ex delivery

1.5 Clio diesel is 16,950 ex delivery

3 door base 1.2 clio petrol starts at 13k ex delivery

1.5 Clio diesel is 16,950 ex delivery

Theyre doing cash back and discounts on the Clio. Duster price isn't negotiable.

Theyre doing cash back and discounts on the Clio

They'll have to do damn good ones if they want to shift any when the duster arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think 'MPI' merely referrs to the fact that the engine is Multi-point injection. You'll find this is a Renault sourced unit once again. Most likely the 1.6 8v from older generation Megane and Laguna variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

They'll have to do damn good ones if they want to shift any when the duster arrives.

Those big Clio discounts are gone. There is zero margin in those Dusters too by the way.

Does that mean they won't take a trade in or give a straight deal discount?

It means if they trade in your car there'll be no margin to artificially prop up your trade in. I.e they give you the trade price for your car.

Fiat did this years ago with 'open book pricing'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It means if they trade in your car there'll be no margin to artificially prop up your trade in. I.e they give you the trade price for your car.

Fiat did this years ago with 'open book pricing'
    Paddy won't like that one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I would only buy one to have a big sign on the back parcel shelf saying.

You've been Dusted !

• Advertisement
Advertisement