Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Of course it's a bad car, even a Dacia salesman wouldn't pretend it's as good as a Yeti, say, and a Yeti is a hideous pretend SUV I wouldn't buy in a fit.

But it is a whole lot cheaper than a Yeti, which is the point.

I've yet to meet a sales man who knew what they were talking about in relation to this Brand and I went to a good few of the Dacia dealers. The problem with the Dacia range is that they have such a low profit margin, hence the sales men have no interest in them and didn't even bother overly engaging ... as such the Dacia's sell themselves.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    can you qualify that please?

Jeees your comments are becoming so predictable and boring ... and you just cant let it go .....

And this is why you come across as a bluffer ... if any naysayer here had any real interest ye would have researched it yourselves (and objectively) to see how good or bad it actually was rather than believing in your own supreme knowledge of this car but which by virtue of your comments seem to know very little about.

Duster 3 stars

http://www.euroncap.com/results/dacia/duster/2011/421.aspx

Yeti 5 stars

http://www.euroncap.com/results/skoda/yeti/368.aspx

Check out the Safety Assist scores in particular and you will see the lack of ESC knocks the Duster down from at least a 4 star rating.

The Qashqui was not even tested for this in 2007 hence it's star rating was not based on whether it had ESC or not (Although it may have it as standard these days, I don't honestly know). But that is neither here nor there. I have never had it any of my previous cars and never needed it and I would be very interested to know how many models have had this fitted as standard pre 2009. Also Irish road deaths are at their lowest levels and have a very good comparable rating against other country. However it is down to massive safety campaigns therefore it's driver attitudes rather than car Safety Assist measures.

Further the Dacia Duster has got universal approval from the UK motor media and a quick google trawl of these sources will confirm this via. But hey why actually read up on something when it is easier just to mouth off about it ...

Lastly A brief over view of this so called crap car.

It has the well regarded and well tested 1.5 DCi Renault engine with a Nissan Drive train. It is used in many of the Renault models as well as various Nissan Models including the Qashqui and now the Mercedes A class has it too ... so I think the engine pedigree cannot be faulted. This is not the highest performing diesel engine nor the top for efficiency but it is a good reliable engine that IS very efficient at the same time.

However it also has a Nissan Chassis but we all know how bad and unsafe Nissans are ... oh wait a minute sorry they're not. Oh yea and it costs what again ... I can do with out all the techno wizardry that they stuff into cars to make us believe we are safer driving their brand but then charge us an arm and a leg for. I can't even remember the last time my ABS was used, which in my opinion is sufficient for our breaking requirements on such a vehicle. Drive it like a idiot and yes you will end up in a ditch as you will if you drive any similar style car in the same manner.

Oh, anyway, I'm bored of the negativity here so lets just say I like it and you don't. Simple as - end off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....The problem with the Dacia range is that they have such a low profit margin....

How much exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

a very tetcy response....and I didnt even ask you to Qualify anything.......and why the personal attack, remember, read the charter, attack the post, not the poster....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Also Irish road deaths are at their lowest levels and have a very good comparable rating against other country. However it is down to massive safety campaigns therefore it's driver attitudes rather than car Safety Assist measures.

Ha ha! You've been listening to Uncle Gaybo.

Nobody knows why Irish road deaths have come down, because nobody has done any research on the topic. The RSA, which should be funding the research, has a vested interest in saying that the reduction is due to the RSA's efforts.

Possible causes:

1) Motorways, Port Tunnel, and other road improvements (I think these are a very big contributor)

2) A reduction in Drink Driving (also large, but lots more work to be done).

3) Ad campaigns from the RSA (but we've had ad campaigns my whole life, yet deaths dropped sharply in recent years).

4) Seatbelts, crumple zones, safety shells, NCAP tests, ABS, ESC etc. (some research suggests these are not as effective as they should be, as some drivers rely on them to drive and drive at the new limits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

How much exactly?

We're being offered 200 discount per unit, so probably not an awful lot more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ha ha! You've been listening to Uncle Gaybo.

Nobody knows why Irish road deaths have come down, because nobody has done any research on the topic. The RSA, which should be funding the research, has a vested interest in saying that the reduction is due to the RSA's efforts.

Possible causes:

1) Motorways, Port Tunnel, and other road improvements (I think these are a very big contributor)

2) A reduction in Drink Driving (also large, but lots more work to be done).

3) Ad campaigns from the RSA (but we've had ad campaigns my whole life, yet deaths dropped sharply in recent years).

4) Seatbelts, crumple zones, safety shells, NCAP tests, ABS, ESC etc. (some research suggests these are not as effective as they should be, as some drivers rely on them to drive and drive at the new limits)

Less traffic on the roads and poor weather also helped.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

How much exactly?

The markup for dealers to earn a profit with is 4/5% depending on the spec level. As such discounts will be tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

R.O.R wrote: »
    We're being offered 200 discount per unit, so probably not an awful lot more than that.
    Theyll make their money on warranty work :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Theyll make their money on warranty work :)

Actual trade, trade in valuations rather than inflated trade ins is what I was told.

God help a dealer in a straight sale.

bladespin wrote: »
    Less traffic on the roads and poor weather also helped.

2000-2007, the Celtic Tiger years, should have been terrible if raw traffic volume was the cause, but in fact they were the safest years since the late 60s.

There's a whole lot more traffic on the roads now than when road deaths were north of 600 a year in the 70s, or of 400 a year in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

2000-2007, the Celtic Tiger years, should have been terrible if raw traffic volume was the cause, but in fact they were the safest years since the late 60s.

There's a whole lot more traffic on the roads now than when road deaths were north of 600 a year in the 70s, or of 400 a year in the 80s.

There are other factors in it but I'm convinced the drop in cars over the past few years helped, things are very obviously busier now than this time last year, I'm only putting 2 and 2 together but it would make sense to me.

As a bike rider too I can say that the good weather this year had a price.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Actual trade, trade in valuations rather than inflated trade ins is what I was told.

God help a dealer in a straight sale.

Surprised they didnt do open book pricing like fiat did years ago.
    I would imagine taking a trade in would be a nightmare, house charge on the trade in would probably be more than your profit! Then you have to convince the customer the reason youre giving them nothing for their trade in is because it isnt an artificially inflated price.
    Might be potential to make money on things like finance, alloys and steps and stuff.

What, like Fiat's Open Book policy?

Which offended everyone who went in with a trade-in and was told it was worth 12p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

One of the first thing the Dacia salesman pointed out to me when I bought mine was trade ins are not really wanted and not to be insulted by the price given on them. Fine by me...cash sale

furtzy wrote: »
    One of the first thing the Dacia salesman pointed out to me when I bought mine was trade ins are not really wanted and not to be insulted by the price given on them.

So their low, low prices are not comparable with other brands, where a cash buyer can get a discount, and someone who's not a car trader can trade in their car instead of having to flog it themselves.

So their low, low prices are not comparable with other brands, where a cash buyer can get a discount, and someone who's not a car trader can trade in their car instead of having to flog it themselves.

Theres so little margin theres no cash discount available on them. I went to buy a new Hyundai Getz years ago and couldn't get a cash discount either as there was so little margin in them

The price was and still is the main reason I bought one so they're are doing something right

Theres so little margin theres no cash discount available on them.

FIAT gave up on open book pricing eventually, it just annoys too many ordinary buyers.

You can get a quick boost from cash buyers, but after one cycle, if they come back to trade in and the Dacia dealer tells them he can't give them a reasonable trade-in price on their Dacia, the policy won't look so good.

FIAT gave up on open book pricing eventually, it just annoys too many ordinary buyers.

You can get a quick boost from cash buyers, but after one cycle, if they come back to trade in and the Dacia dealer tells them he can't give them a reasonable trade-in price on their Dacia, the policy won't look so good.

I dealt with the Fiat open book policy in the mid 90's and it did put a lot of people off. But that was mainly the people with outstanding finance on their trade ins. Maybe in a few years time when the Duster buyer comes back for another he may be disappointed with the price given. I don't expect feck all for mine but couldn't case less as the purchase price is so low to begin with. In fairness most people are disappointed with their trade in valuations :P

In fairness most people are disappointed with their trade in valuations :P

I remember one colleague who was genuinely furious with a Renault dealer because the Toyota man was offering him a higher trade in value on his Renault.

Furious, as in never-buy-a-Renault-again. Pointing out that the Renault list price was already low did not help: he just thought that meant he was getting a more expensive car AND a better trade-in value.

I don't expect feck all for mine but couldn't case less as the purchase price is so low to begin with.

Total cost over 4 years may not look so cheap.

On a 4 year lease in the UK, a quick look says a Yeti 2.0 Tdi is cheaper than a Dacia 1.5, presumably because the Yeti has a residual value, and the Dacia won't.

• Advertisement

Still working out a lot cheaper than a comparable size vehicle, even when max (or almost max) discount levels are considered.

On a 4 year lease in the UK, a quick look says a Yeti 2.0 Tdi is cheaper than a Dacia 1.5, presumably because the Yeti has a residual value, and the Dacia won't.

I had x amount to spend and the duster ticked all the boxes. No other came close to the price. Residual price doesn't come into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I had x amount to spend and the duster ticked all the boxes. No other came close to the price. Residual price doesn't come into it

I think the residuals on dusters will be better than some around here think, wouldn't expect the same with sanderos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

How do they work this out ? Maybe are very conservative since they don't know what the residuals will be ?
    I know France has a market where cars hold their value well vs UK, but look at that:

http://www.lacentrale.fr/listing_auto.php?tri=VE_PRICE&sens=1&num=1&advanced=&SS_CATEGORIE=40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49&marque=DACIA&modele=DUSTER&mo_comm=&prix_maxi=&prix_mini=&cp=&departement=&new_annonce=&photo=&garantie=&premiere_main=&km_maxi=&annee=&annee2=&origine=&couleur=&version=&B2Bprice=&pfisc=&opt=&nbportes=&co2=&conso=&energie=&transmission=

On that website, there are 901 Dusters for sale. Only 4 of them are under 10K. If we narrow down to the 2010 models only, on the 47 for sale you got an average asking price of around 12.5K that buys you this for example:
    http://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasion-annonce-21606702.html
    Typical top model (the Signature you find in Ireland at 19K OTR).
    Considering French prices are lower than in Ireland (start at 13ish in Diesel), they are a pretty good investment there.

Did the same exercise for the residual star, the Cashcow, on 202 units for sale (2010 model), 15K average with the same engine similar equipment.

So the 8K extra spent new on the Nissan is melting away

I'm really curious to see the trend here, in a few weeks we should start to see used 131 models for sale, but I think they will keep their value well as owners may want to keep theirs. Anyway I haven't seen much under 15K on carzone so far.

What you guys think ?

Don't think you'll see many second hand dusters for a while....don't think us duster owners are the types to splash our cash for a new model too soon :D

Don't think you'll see many second hand dusters for a while....don't think us duster owners are the types to splash our cash for a new model too soon :D

In another thread, we learn that one Dacia owner here is changing the other car in the household after 2 years, and probably losing about 2 Dusters in depreciation in that time :P

I dont think hes actually an owner, didnt he cancel the order for the dusters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anyone doing serious mileage/kilometerage! in one of these?
    Half looking at getting one but would be interested din hearing how expensive/economical they are to run.

Currently have a 1.4L diesel Corolla and putting up near 1000km a week

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Half looking at getting one but would be interested din hearing how expensive/economical they are to run.

5.5k on mine... so far averaging 48mpg on combined urban/non urban. Have got 60mpg on longer runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Got over 43000km up on mine. So far so good, the mpg I've worked out a few time averages out around the 54mpg mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

MPG is Usually low 50's for me in regular mixed driving 1-2000 revs or low 40's on the motorway around the 3000 revs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'd be doing motorway driving probably 80% of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I dont think hes actually an owner, didnt he cancel the order for the dusters?

Correct Colm,

Thanks

Del:)

*{Refer post no. 325 !}

In another thread, we learn that one Dacia owner here is changing the other car in the household after 2 years, and probably losing about 2 Dusters in depreciation in that time :P

The other thread is regarding my wife's car.!!

Regards,

:)

* {Refer to Post 189!}

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Keiweb

Dacia duster anyone??..seems to good for 159 a month for a new car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Keiweb wrote: »

Know a few folk got them. Early days and that, but heard no complaints yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Did you have a look at initial and final payments?

Its not just 159 a month. There are other bigger amounts involved as well.
    You can get anything for 159 a month once you give enough money up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

there was a thread about dacia .... which was crashed by dealer mechanics .. i think couple weeks ago ... but thing is not about crashing, but owner had to go on regular basis to dealers, get new car right, ... so ... me think too good to be true (mean hassle free driving) ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt. Cheap and ugly.
    Additionally, the finance deal is not so great.
    16000 to buy outright
    finance deal requires 5000 deposit and 7000 final payment.
    In 3 years, in order to get another new duster, the one you would be trading in would need to be worth the 7000 (final payment) plus deposit on the new one. In order to get another deal at 159, it would need to be worth the 7000 plus 5000 for deposit. A 16000 euro duster is not going to be worth 12000 in 3 years so its not a sustainable deal really. It will mean you will have to have higher payments in future or alternatively lump in a ball of cash every 3 years.
    You will also be burning the 5000 euro that you will have to put down now.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys yea I did the math and works to a ten yr contract to pay off...no thanks Dacia

Thanks guys yea I did the math and works to a ten yr contract to pay off...no thanks Dacia

How do the maths work out on Finance Deals from other manufacturers?

Have you done any comparisons?

Below is a link yo the ongoing Boards thread in respect of Dacia Duster

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80191503

Regards,:)

Tbh I just worked out how long it would take to pay off car at 159 monthly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

People aren't taking into the account the additional mileage charges on the "new" PCP plans (available for years stateside and elsewhere)

People aren't going to be just able to give these cars back (most PCP paperwork I've seen specifies 9000km and a punitive extra km rate) without balling some serious cash in

It would be news except even with stimulus like this the markets still not shifting em

Tbh I just worked out how long it would take to pay off car at 159 monthly

No problem, I respect your honesty.

From what I have seen in the market place the Finance Deals are pretty similar about the place.

The advertising is very eye catching a new car from€99 per month or another car from €199 per month.

The monthly amount is subject to upfront deposits and or baloon payments at the end etc.

There are various finance plans out there at the moment including HP, PCP, Personal Contract Plan/Leasing.

Before you consider committing yourself to any finance plan it is worth taking some time out to check which one suits you best.

Bear in mind our circumstances and responsibilities can change during the term of the car loan.

Take your time and see which way you want to finance the car , before you make a decision on any particular Brand or car.

Sincerely,:)

Cheers delthedriver you obviously the man in the know:)

And I thought PCP was what hells angels and cattle used to take;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IMO, the key to these deals is seeing what equity you will likely have in the car at 3 years. If you need to put 5k deposit down now, and if after 3 years the car will be worth 5k more than the final payment then go ahead, as long as you can afford the payment, you should be able to continually get new cars every 3 years.
    IF the payment though is artificially low and you have a deal where there is a big initial deposit and little equity at the other end, then its not something anyone should go for unless they have very specific financial circumstances.

And I thought PCP was what hells angels and cattle used to take;)

Are you mixing it with TCP ???;)

PCP is angel dust, no?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement