Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

PCP is angel dust, no?!

I know! Just being devilish!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldnt. Cheap and ugly.
    Additionally, the finance deal is not so great.
    16000 to buy outright
    finance deal requires 5000 deposit and 7000 final payment.
    In 3 years, in order to get another new duster, the one you would be trading in would need to be worth the 7000 (final payment) plus deposit on the new one. In order to get another deal at 159, it would need to be worth the 7000 plus 5000 for deposit. A 16000 euro duster is not going to be worth 12000 in 3 years so its not a sustainable deal really. It will mean you will have to have higher payments in future or alternatively lump in a ball of cash every 3 years.
    You will also be burning the 5000 euro that you will have to put down now.
    In 3 years the duster will be dust :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

But don't forget;

There is a time bomb for some people, €159 a month cars on what are lease packages with agreed future values have agreed mileages.

Every extra km has a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im not entirely sure that 3 year old dusters will even be worth the 7k that they are quoting as the final payment. It may be a case of the duster having a value of 6k on open market and the dealer / manufacturer offering large trade in bonuses against a new one.

And a nice contribution from you if you have too many kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Remember you won't get any new car handed to you for €159 per month, without a hefty deposit.

But even with the hefty deposit, after 3 years even the balloon payment may not be enough, and you wouldn't have the option of a trade up without another sizeable deposit.

Renting any car over 3 years with a 5k deposit. And then having to do the same thing again. Madness.

Fine if you do really small km every yr.

But if thats the case do you need a new car, or could you buy something very suitable with that 5k and own it? And after 3 yrs throw it away, trade it in or keep using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just doing some very quick figures, a more realistic deal with smaller deposit of 2.5k and smaller final payment of 5k which would likely give some equity for next purchase would result in a monthly payment of €288. Too much for a duster IMO but much more realistic in relation to going in and buying another in 3 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've just run quick figures over 3 years on a Duster Alternative (€15,990 RRP), using a €4,971 deposit and a GFV of €7,004, and I'm getting an interest rate of 8.47%.

Deposit of €2,500 gives a monthly repayment of €255 and would be a better way to go.

Not sure what the mileage cap is, or excess charges, but if it's say 15,000km a year, then a 3 year old Duster with 45,000km would probably be worth more than €7,000, but not the €12,000 needed to keep the same deal.

Better bet would be higher monthly repayments, and a lower deposit, or take the deal as it, and squirrel away €100 a month over the 3 years to give you €3,600 of a deposit, and hopefully a bit of equity over the €7,000 future value.

• Advertisement

But the caps arent even at a realistic Irish level of 15kkm a yr

But the caps arent even at a realistic Irish level of 15kkm a yr

What are the mileage caps, and excess charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

R.O.R wrote: »
    What are the mileage caps, and excess charges?
    www.dacia.ie doesn't say (not that I can find, anyhow).

Don't know about Dacia, but the couple I've seen from other marques have been 10kkm and 20c excess per km.

That's one serious surprise coming down the road for some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, well, car finance in general seems a lunatic idea.
    Better off get a loan from the bank and buy the car outright.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, open for correction, but car dealers wouldn't do finance unless it paid them.

edit:
    after consulting a loan calculator, I conclude that this option also sucks.
    I will stick to my method of buying whatever I can afford at the time and not have a finance deal hanging over me and no bankloans.
    Borrowing for cars is lunacy, full stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unless I'm very much mistaken, open for correction, but car dealers wouldn't do finance unless it paid them.

Neither would any business to be fair....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Yes. The old car finance was great i.e no mileage restrictions and you owned the car. The new hire purchase schemes seem quite complicted regarding final payments and agreed mileage. Lots of small print to read through carefully!

listermint wrote: »
    Neither would any business to be fair....

If I understand it correctly, the final deal is done via a bank and the dealer is the middle man. My idea would be that this equates to more money for more people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If I understand it correctly, the final deal is done via a bank and the dealer is the middle man. My idea would be that this equates to more money for more people?

Thats the same with any finance, Buy a couch, a tv, a washing machine. These are all financed out to the likes of Shires or LCI. Thats how they make their money and the shops shift the product.

I think finance has a place in the market as its accessible to alot of people where as a conventional loan (which i prefer tbh) may not be.

listermint wrote: »
    Thats the same with any finance, Buy a couch, a tv, a washing machine. These are all financed out to the likes of Shires or LCI. Thats how they make their money and the shops shift the product.

I think finance has a place in the market as its accessible to alot of people where as a conventional loan (which i prefer tbh) may not be.

I suppose it's the convenience of not having to trudge down the bank as well as the shop.
    Wouldn't be for me, I've owed enough money in my life to know that whatever crap I buy is not worth it, but the debt hangs on like a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I suppose it's the convenience of not having to trudge down the bank as well as the shop.
    Wouldn't be for me, I've owed enough money in my life to know that whatever crap I buy is not worth it, but the debt hangs on like a disease.

I agree with this TBH. First car was the best I could afford .... a Hyundai Accent so couldn't afford much!

The day I got it I started saving for the next one. The day I got the next one started saving again. Debts for some things are unavoidable but I really try to avoid being in Debt for a car. I generally try to get 5-6 years out of a car and then save 2k a year for the next one.

My wife had finance for her first car. Never again.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year!

Has anyone collected their 141 Dacia Duster yet?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've spotted a few. I'd still secretly like one. I see nowt wrong with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I was in a Renault dealers today, and chatting to a trade contact who sells them there. He told me they don't have many orders for them, in that franchise dealers anyway.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I was in a Renault dealers today, and chatting to a trade contact who sells them there. He told me they don't have many orders for them, in that franchise dealers anyway.

I've been hearing that salespeople have been practically ignoring the cars in the showroom due to the poor margins and commission for them. In my experience of looking in October I think its true. Although I hope it was just a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

3 guys in work have them, One put a deposit on one this morning. He was told demand is overtaking supply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was in one the other day. Real low rent feel about them. Some of the switchgear looked like it was off an old gas cooker.

They are relatively inexpensive, but are mean and nasty too imho. Destined to take over the "cheap skate" market from Skoda, and latterly the Koreans.

The residuals will be awful.

p.s. Runs for cover :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

I haven't seen one by the side of the road yet, so there is hope! :D And if people keep buying them, that probably means the word to mouth is working. Let's not forget this brand has no history here so this car is rarely on the top of the choices when you do your shopping, as oppose to Corolla/Focus/Golf that are often considered.

It would be a shame if it had a low resale value, cause consequently people would't maintain them properly, and then they will eventually fail, just like the other French cars.
    Looking forward for the January sales figures.

I was in Costa del Sol for the Christmas break.

There were certainly Dacia Duster's in abundance many of which appeared to be holiday rental cars.:)

Dacia producing new cars for the price of a second hand car. Not a bad deal, got to be better than buying a dodgy second hand wreck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You should buy a few :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I was in Costa del Sol for the Christmas break.

There were certainly Dacia Duster's in abundance many of which appeared to be holiday rental cars.:)

Dacia producing new cars for the price of a second hand car. Not a bad deal, got to be better than buying a dodgy second hand wreck !
    At doubt that there is many "dodgy second hand" wrecks at the price point of a new dacia.

There is plenty of good fresh second hand cars out there at that money. Im not knocking dacia here but Id certainly opt for a slightly older car of higher quality before id go spending my money on a new basic dacia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    At doubt that there is many "dodgy second hand" wrecks at the price point of a new dacia.

There is plenty of good fresh second hand cars out there at that money. Im not knocking dacia here but Id certainly opt for a slightly older car of higher quality before id go spending my money on a new basic dacia.

It's an eternal debate, new vs used, but an unfair one.

Now, in 2015, would it be better to buy:
    a 2013 Duster with a year warranty left, for 10K
    Or a 2013 Qashquai/Golf/Focus with a year warranty left, for 15K

Or a ceed with 5 years warranty left....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Or a ceed with 5 years warranty left....

Suppose it's what makes the car market interesting. Wouldn't buy one myself , would prefer a second hand with service history. Mind you they laughed when the first corollas came out in the seventies and said they would never take off :p Notice that Jeremy Clarkson has a Kia ceed running round the track these days following on from some fairly crappy cars :o

He traded in the ceed for an astra, ironically because it has a lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Still waiting to see my first Duster taxi in Dublin. Seen a few Quasquai taxis I presume the Duster meets the standard to be a taxi.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Still waiting to see my first Duster taxi in Dublin.
    I've seen a couple of them.

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    I presume the Duster meets the standard to be a taxi.

Nasty interior, penny pinching driver, 3 star ncap?

Sounds about right

Nasty interior, penny pinching driver, not overly safe

I can see you've been in an Octavia before then.

I wonder how many 141 Reg Dacia Dusters were sold this month? ;)

• Advertisement

Nasty interior, penny pinching driver, 3 star ncap?

Sounds about right

It obviously met the requirements of the PSV Inspector.

Guess he is happy to inspect a new car than the usual old heaps of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Mad to think that a 141 dacia duster is allowed to be a taxi when a 90's or early 2000's 7 series or S class cannot.
    Silly rules imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How are the Mokkas going?

Mad to think that a 141 dacia duster is allowed to be a taxi when a 90's or early 2000's 7 series or S class cannot.
    Silly rules imo

I guess the running costs for a Taxi Driver operating a Dacia Duster would be far less than a '90s or 00's 7 or S .??

How are the Mokkas going?

Fine, thank you:)

I guess the running costs for a Taxi Driver operating a Dacia Duster would be far less than a '90s or 00's 7 or S .??

If both cars were free then yes, but including purchase cost + depreciation no they wouldnt.
    Say a 00 S320 cdi versus a new dacia. Would take 000's of miles before it even came close.

• Advertisement

If both cars were free then yes, but including purchase cost + depreciation no they wouldnt.
    Say a 00 S320 cdi versus a new dacia. Would take 000's of miles before it even came close.

Purchase/ depreciation costs , are they considered business expenses?:)

Purchase/ depreciation costs , are they considered business expenses?:)
    Depends, if someone has to buy a taxi and then make a profit including the (initial purchase price less selling price) of the car then yes it does.
    If theoretically both cars were free then no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Fine, thank you:)

Weren't affected by the recall at all I hope?

Weren't affected by the recall at all I hope?

Thank you for your interest.

We had no issues.

I am aware of steering wheel issues on some units.

Kind Regards:)

Got our first Duster in today. For the price, you can't really go wrong. Will be interesting to see how it goes for the next 2 years / 60,000km, and whether it sells for what we think it will.

It's very, very, very, very, very Dark Blue - bit like pair of black socks, that aren't priest socks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement