Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reading this thread with interest

Have a real hankering to upgrade from my Astra. Baby on the way, dog now in the family, play golf and airsoft which are space sucking , dirty sports in terms of my car.

I drive a fair bit a day out and back to work, up the M50 from the starting point to junction 9. Fair bit of backroad driving to golf and airsoft and then then regular driving around like shopping etc.

Models like the duster are appealing to me for sure, especially the finance options I'm seeing. Will read back through more of the thread see if anyone using one for length has any feedback

If I'm honest going back over the last 10-15 pages was a massive waste of time.

Little to no information from actual owners, plenty of people wagging their dicks of safety ratings, and making sure everyone knows their opinions on how they think it looks etc. Very few stating they actually sat in one or drove one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TheDoc wrote: »
    ...Very few stating they actually sat in one...

I sat in one. It wasn't very nice, so I got out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I sat in one. It wasn't very nice, so I got out again.

I looked at the practically bargain basement one that was a demo model in some dealer in naas.
    Not so much worse than most modern small cars - albeit it felt dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

IVery few stating they actually sat in one or drove one.

Why would I sit in one or drive one when I think they are the nastiest example yet of a class of car I absolutely hate?

Why would I sit in one or drive one when I think they are the nastiest example yet of a class of car I absolutely hate?

No problems with that. But why are you overly contributing to a thread that's clearly about discussing the model, and sharing some information that at this stage, should be coming from owners.

I actually remember your username from the pages I've been going through. You've brought nothing of relevance to the thread bar just banging on about how YOU think it's ugly and a waste.

With all due respect, for prospective buyers like me, we really don't give a **** about your opinion on the looks of the car from a distance. As a prospective buyer, I'm looking to just get a feel and some information from actual owners.

Too many people in this thread wanting to get across their "opinion" on how rubbish it looks etc., and providing zero useful contributions in terms of efficeny, performance or handling.

Its like you coming into the PC building forum asking is X PC any good, and me telling you it's ****e because the case looks rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

As a prospective buyer,
    Is there any questions you have about the Duster?

I appreciate your position about the thread but if you give specific questions then they can be answered by owners and people with an interest in the brand.

A lot of the info contained in the thread has been overshadowed by negative posters.

I actually remember your username from the pages I've been going through. You've brought nothing of relevance to the thread bar just banging on about how YOU think it's ugly and a waste.

That doesn't match my memory of this thread, so I just went and looked. My first post was at #745, and wasn't about the Duster at all - it was about the Juke and Qashqai mentioned by another poster. It was one whole year after the thread started, so I'm hardly hogging the thread.

2nd, 3rd posts are about the Qashqai and Rancho.

4th post, finally, my opinion of the Duster:

I don't think looks are the big issue: the car looks like an SUV which is the idea, right? Even though most will be front-wheel-drive only.

The big issue seems to be that they are built really cheaply, have no sound insulation, ride well but handle atrociously and are slow and underpowered.

So, your reading of the thread seems to be a bit wanting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

No problems with that. But why are you overly contributing to a thread that's clearly about discussing the model, and sharing some information that at this stage, should be coming from owners.

With all due respect, for prospective buyers like me, we really don't give a **** about your opinion on the looks of the car from a distance. As a prospective buyer, I'm looking to just get a feel and some information from actual owners.

Too many people in this thread wanting to get across their "opinion" on how rubbish it looks etc., and providing zero useful contributions in terms of efficeny, performance or handling.

Its like you coming into the PC building forum asking is X PC any good, and me telling you it's ****e because the case looks rubbish.
    You think it's none of our business? ?? We have to look at these peasant chariots drive by, how do you think that makes us normal people feel? So selfish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

This is not a dacia owners club!! Everyone is free to share their opinion/experience, be it good or not so good or weather they own one or not.

Before coming on here and going on a rant, a quick Google search might of been far more beneficial to you

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/reviews/1-dacia-duster/

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    This is not a dacia owners club!! Everyone is free to share their opinion/experience, be it good or not so good or weather they own one or not.

Before coming on here and going on a rant, a quick Google search might of been far more beneficial to you

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/reviews/1-dacia-duster/

It's a thread about a specific model, contained within a subforum about motors. The consensus would be it would be a good place to gather some information and feedback from owners, not having to trawl through pages of people arguing the toss on it "looking" poorly.

Also I'd gone through that link, and also some other websites and forums that had dedicated Dacia threads, but none of which are specifically Irish based. It would make sense to read some thoughts of owners on Irish roads. Some UK back roads are in better nick then our primary ones....

The consensus would be it would be a good place to gather some information and feedback from owners, not having to trawl through pages of people arguing the toss on it "looking" poorly.

Only if "the consensus" means "my personal opinion".

Which it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

I keep opening this thread in anticipation of hearing people's day to day honest opinions about this car ....

But all I get are snipping bitches thrusting about in the ego of an inflated self worth of their anecdotal opinion.

If anybody has something factual to say about a Duster could they please let us know.

Nixer Jim wrote: »
    I keep opening this thread in anticipation of hearing people's day to day honest opinions about this car ....

But all I get are snipping bitches thrusting about in the ego of an inflated self worth of their anecdotal opinion.

If anybody has something factual to say about a Duster could they please let us know.
    It's a car.
    It is cheap, ugly, underpowered and underequipped.
    If you want a cheap 141 plate which has cheap tax and is cheaply built and you don't like cars at all then it is the car for you.
    Otherwise buy something else!

It's a car.
    If you want a cheap 141 plate which has cheap tax and is cheaply built and you don't like cars at all then it is the car for you.

In fairness, the reviews say it rides very comfortably in the old French style, although this does lead or excessive roll, pitch and yaw. But since it's so slow, the handling hardly matters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a car.

all your inflated view of it

Cabaal wrote: »
    all your inflated view of it

Inflated?
    No it is my review of it after checking one out in a dealer actually.:rolleyes:

Just because I post a critical review and it doesnt agree with your opinion doesn't make mine wrong or inflated

• Registered Users Posts: 9 majic 69

I sat and drove in Duster for 1400 km so I can add my opinion. My father in Poland owns one for 2 years already. No problems for last 20000 kms. It’s a 1.6 petrol 4x4 in Cajou Metallic Bronze color. For unknown to me reasons it’s not offered in Ireland IMHO is the nicest color for Duster looks almost like pearl in sunshine.

1925690a9deda51fcf9b.jpg

This one is highest spec model with wooden like limitation dashboard , Air con, Armrest, alloys Is not the Mercedes interior quality - plastic looks and feel cheap but seats are comfortable over long journeys.
    Pros:
    Is spacious – ski gear for three people and lots of luggage fitted in boot no problem.
    Offroad ability – has lockable differential and in deep snow goes like hell even on standard fitted tyres. Drive train in 4x4 version comes from Nissan X-trail. If you need 4x4 it’s worth investing as Duster will take you further than any other pseudo off roader
    Very good suspension on uneven surfaces. Is rather soft tuned so it files over the potholes
    Cons:
    Sound insulation -– sound insulation is decent if you don’t exceed 120 kmh beyond that wind noise is annoying. After driving 8 hours nonstop I wasn’t very tired
    Fuel Consumption – brick like shape doesn’t help. Couldn’t go lower than 7,5 l/100 petrol on motorway above 140 kmh it was 12l/100
    Gearbox – it’s Romanian build 6- speed and works far from perfection. 1 first gear is very short – acts like off- road gear so is little used in normal driving. You can start really from second gear. Gear box is imprecise i.e. reduction from 3rd to second is catching quite often – very annoying. Maybe is just matter of get used to it.
    Overall – simple, robust, bullet proof car. Has it’s limitation but is acceptable for price and off road ability. Currently has no competitors in what offers for price -would buy myself one

I think it's far too early to tell how durable/good these are. I remember back in the late 90's, early 00's deawoo was in the same position with cheap prices and owners singing their praises. Just look at how good they turned out to be in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I think it's far too early to tell how durable/good these are. I remember back in the late 90's, early 00's deawoo was in the same position with cheap prices and owners singing their praises. Just look at how good they turned out to be in the end.

Care to elaborate? I've never heard much bad about them other than HGF in the 1.6l engine and cars being wrecked by poor maintenance?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? I've never heard much bad about them other than HGF in the 1.6l engine and cars being wrecked by poor maintenance?

Premature wear on many items. Take a lanos for example, the wiper linkage wears at very low mileage. I've seen them worn at as little as 40k miles. Camshafts also wear in them amongst other things. And they rust.

my point is, While they where cheap to buy and initially looked like value for money, in the end they turned out to be a false economy as they lacked the quality to be hard wearing and durable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Premature wear on many items. Take a lanos for example, the wiper linkage wears at very low mileage. I've seen them worn at as little as 40k miles. Camshafts also wear in them amongst other things. And they rust.

my point is, While they where cheap to buy and initially looked like value for money, in the end they turned out to be a false economy as they lacked the quality to be hard wearing and durable.

Daewoo ultimately became part of Chevrolet Group. I am sure Man United fans out there must be familiar with the logo on the " Bench Seats" at Old Trafford:)

The Old Daewoo factory still produce Chevrolet cars for Europe and Far East.

Premature wear on many items.

Duster is different as is built on parts used, tried and tested in various Renault and Nissan models for last 10 years . There is not much new in them bar car body.

majic 69 wrote: »
    I sat and drove in Duster for 1400 km so I can add my opinion. My father in Poland owns one for 2 years already. No problems for last 20000 kms. It’s a 1.6 petrol 4x4 in Cajou Metallic Bronze color. For unknown to me reasons it’s not offered in Ireland IMHO is the nicest color for Duster looks almost like pearl in sunshine.

1925690a9deda51fcf9b.jpg

This one is highest spec model with wooden like limitation dashboard , Air con, Armrest, alloys Is not the Mercedes interior quality - plastic looks and feel cheap but seats are comfortable over long journeys.
    Pros:
    Is spacious – ski gear for three people and lots of luggage fitted in boot no problem.
    Offroad ability – has lockable differential and in deep snow goes like hell even on standard fitted tyres. Drive train in 4x4 version comes from Nissan X-trail. If you need 4x4 it’s worth investing as Duster will take you further than any other pseudo off roader
    Very good suspension on uneven surfaces. Is rather soft tuned so it files over the potholes
    Cons:
    Sound insulation -– sound insulation is decent if you don’t exceed 120 kmh beyond that wind noise is annoying. After driving 8 hours nonstop I wasn’t very tired
    Fuel Consumption – brick like shape doesn’t help. Couldn’t go lower than 7,5 l/100 petrol on motorway above 140 kmh it was 12l/100
    Gearbox – it’s Romanian build 6- speed and works far from perfection. 1 first gear is very short – acts like off- road gear so is little used in normal driving. You can start really from second gear. Gear box is imprecise i.e. reduction from 3rd to second is catching quite often – very annoying. Maybe is just matter of get used to it.
    Overall – simple, robust, bullet proof car. Has it’s limitation but is acceptable for price and off road ability. Currently has no competitors in what offers for price -would buy myself one

Thank you for your feedback.

Interestingly I spotted a Bronze colour Dacia Duster in Limerick earlier this week. Perhaps the colour range has been extended for 2014? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Yup bronze is now available.

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I was in a Renault dealers today, and chatting to a trade contact who sells them there. He told me they don't have many orders for them, in that franchise dealers anyway.

It will be interesting to see total sales figures for January:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Our 1998 Tico is still running strong, currently owned by my mother's sister - 205 000 kms on the clock and has proven to be more reliable than her husband's Astra G.

(Oh yeah, 55 MPG as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sobanek wrote: »
    Our 1998 Tico is still running strong, currently owned by my mother's sister - 205 000 kms on the clock and has proven to be more reliable than her husband's Astra G.

(Oh yeah, 55 MPG as well)

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it'll die soon for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I found this forum about the duster i think some here will find useful.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I found this forum about the duster i think some here will find useful.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101792

That makes for pretty grim reading for RHD Dusters. Whatever about the other quality issues rust in this day and age is unforgivable.

• Advertisement

That makes for pretty grim reading for RHD Dusters. Whatever about the other quality issues rust in this day and age is unforgivable.

Mazdas are famous for being prone to rust as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PGE1970

My father has a Duster and I drove it for a week last Autumn when he was away and my own car needed a body repair.

Mine was a mix of motorway and country roads, about 40 miles per day.

I found that it drove fine on the motorway as long as you were driving straight! I didn't feel too comfortable on tight country roads. The car felt too high with a rolling effect.

The diesel engine (1.5?) sounds like a tractor and has little or no acceleration but it was a smooth enough drive at 60-65mph.

The interior was reasonably comfy and the plastic was a bit industrial but functional.

My Dad loves it and considers it great value. Would I buy one? No! If I was looking for something similar, I'd head to the UK and get a nice spec used Quashqai or similar.

Duster is different as is built on parts used, tried and tested in various Renault and Nissan models for last 10 years . There is not much new in them bar car body.

Renaults and Nissans of the last ten years have hardly been great in the reliability department though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Camshafts and wiper linkeage? Yes, catastrophic failures alright.
    Yes, you would definitely better off with a 2 liter diesel BMW or Audi, nothing ever goes catastrophically, bowel-evacuatingly expensivley wrong with them!;)

Camshafts and wiper linkeage? Yes, catastrophic failures alright.
    Yes, you would definitely better off with a 2 liter diesel BMW or Audi, nothing ever goes catastrophically, bowel-evacuatingly expensivley wrong with them!;)
    "catastrophic failures"? Where did I say that?:confused:

With regards to the wiper linkage, at 40k miles it was completely worn, as in the wipers were hitting off the bonnet. In most other cars you would see little to no wear on the linkage at 40k miles and the degree of wear seen on the deawoo wouldn't be seen on most other car until well over 100k miles.

I think you missed my point completely though.

"catastrophic failures"? Where did I say that?:confused:

With regards to the wiper linkage, at 40k miles it was completely worn, as in the wipers were hitting off the bonnet. In most other cars you would see little to no wear on the linkage at 40k miles and the degree of wear seen on the deawoo wouldn't be seen on most other car until well over 100k miles.

I think you missed my point completely though.

I'm just saying, these things are annoying, but hardly a massive problem and that cheapo brands are not necessarily worse than premiumbrands, when you buy a German executive brand, people seem to take it as a point of pride to say "oh yeah, timing chain snapped, cost me 8 grand, but what a car!', so pointing out little niggles on cheap cars is hardly a deterrant. Buy a cheap car and have a few things go wrong or spend 60k on an executive motor and remortgage your house to keep up with massive repair bills as your engine expires in a shower of cogs and smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

It will be interesting to see total sales figures for January:)

330 sales in January (19th best seller) just behind the Polo, ahead of Superb, Corsa, Passat, A3.
    Brand is 14th with 514 sales, ahead of Mazda, Mercedes and Honda.

Similar trend as in many European countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'd class a worn camshaft as a fairly big problem.

I'd class a broken timing chain with wrecked engine and an €8k bill (BMW 2 liter diesel) and a broken drive to the oil-pump for engine and turbo, wrecking them both (VW/Audi 2 liter diesel) as a bigger problem. :eek:
    Compared to that a worn camshaft is a weekend job that can be done for a few quid if one knows where to source the parts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Mazdas are famous for being prone to rust as well.

after years in service, not from factory

• Advertisement

cabb8ge wrote: »

Yes, the GF's MX5 is only 14 years old and already has a tiny spot of rust on the rear wheel arch.
    Shocking!

Lutecia wrote: »
    330 sales in January (19th best seller) just behind the Polo, ahead of Superb, Corsa, Passat, A3.
    Brand is 14th with 514 sales, ahead of Mazda, Mercedes and Honda.

Similar trend as in many European countries

Thank you. Very interesting!

Someone has been busy selling the Dacia Brand.:D

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Maybe not from the factory but mazdas do have very bad rust protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 balkey

Hi Paddy,

Can I ask you what your overall opinion of the Duster is, I'm seriously considering buying one next month, Ive read mixed reports but don't know anyone that has one. Is it loud inside, would you recommend it.

Ive never bought new before so this is a massive commitment and I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

balkey wrote: »
    Hi Paddy,

Can I ask you what your overall opinion of the Duster is, I'm seriously considering buying one next month, Ive read mixed reports but don't know anyone that has one. Is it loud inside, would you recommend it.
    Ive never bought new before so this is a massive commitment and I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Regards

I had a new one july- couple of niggles-
    Garage wrote it off on me-I have tan coloured one for last few months- I must just have been unlucky with first- highly recommed duster- lovely drive -the height is great - cheap to tax 3 yr warranty
    Go for it- dont mind the negative on here

Garage wrote it off on me

You mean they crashed it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

they did wrote it off. Came up from 131 to 131 , and back to zero in miles! no injuries

they did wrote it off. Came up from 131 to 131 , and back to zero in miles! no injuries
    When I looked at your post first I thought they wrote it off over a couple of niggles :p

Jayz, you were lucky they had another to give you, some people waited 6 months for a Duster from order time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Been driving mine nearly a year now and still very happy with it. On the noise yes there is a bit of cabin noise (road noise mainly on motorways) in comparison to new higher spec brands. So it will be more noisy than, say, the Quasqui. However it is not excessive and you can have a conversation with people in the back with out having to raise your voice. The car's interior, in parts, comes across as cheap and light but has worn well with my 2 young boys who just climb all over it. The ride is however very comfortable and the seats are comfy too. This car takes secondary roads in it's stride and is a good solid driver on the Motorway and is but no means sluggish. It is also very economical and I regularly get 50+ mpg unless caining it on the motorway. The 2 wheel drive version I have works well off road too and has no issues with fields and unpaved lanes and has more under car clearance than most in the same class.

I was driving it in snow and slush yesterday and it was sure footed on some bad bends in my area where my vectra would slightly slip. However this is not a car for mad cornering as is the case with any of these higher styled cars.

There is nothing wrong with this car it just has less add on's than we are use to. However remember for the same diesel engine in a new Quashqui you need to spend close to 10grand more. So you really need to weight up the pro's and cons for yourself and what you really want out of a car. I've covered circa 30,000km at this stage. I'm a happy camper.

I did up the warranty to 5yrs.

Advertisement