Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Been driving mine nearly a year now and still very happy with it. On the noise yes there is a bit of cabin noise (road noise mainly on motorways) in comparison to new higher spec brands. So it will be more noisy than, say, the Quasqui. However it is not excessive and you can have a conversation with people in the back with out having to raise your voice. The car's interior, in parts, comes across as cheap and light but has worn well with my 2 young boys who just climb all over it. The ride is however very comfortable and the seats are comfy too. This car takes secondary roads in it's stride and is a good solid driver on the Motorway and is but no means sluggish. It is also very economical and I regularly get 50+ mpg unless caining it on the motorway. The 2 wheel drive version I have works well off road too and has no issues with fields and unpaved lanes and has more under car clearance than most in the same class.

I was driving it in snow and slush yesterday and it was sure footed on some bad bends in my area where my vectra would slightly slip. However this is not a car for mad cornering as is the case with any of these higher styled cars.

There is nothing wrong with this car it just has less add on's than we are use to. However remember for the same diesel engine in a new Quashqui you need to spend close to 10grand more. So you really need to weight up the pro's and cons for yourself and what you really want out of a car. I've covered circa 30,000km at this stage. I'm a happy camper.

I did up the warranty to 5yrs.

I think this post sums up exactly the point of the Duster. Glad to see you enjoy it and are happy. :)

If you want cheap A to B motoring, no frills, economic and reliable then it is the car for you.

Certainly if you are the type of driver that at the end of the month looks at the mpg and the bank account but not at the fun of driving then it is the car for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

How many Dusters were sold so far this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How many Dusters were sold so far this year?

(330 in January, 110 in February)

Black 217
    Silver 127
    Scour brown 51
    White 49

85 Logan MCVs (16 1.2petrol, 4 0.9 tCe, 65 diesel)

159 Sanderos (109 1.2 petrol, 9 0.9 tCe, 41 diesel)

684 cars in total. 80% diesel, 20% petrol.

1 2014 directly imported from outside Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Scour brown 51
    Snigger....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    When I looked at your post first I thought they wrote it off over a couple of niggles :p

No. Not due to niggles. The cost of an oil service made it a economic write off.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Snigger....

Lost in translation I guess. Bronze perhaps?

I was in Lanzarote last week, the colour range in the Hire Fleet included Gunmetal Grey, and Metallic Electric Blue .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There is a certain shade of brown used by car makers for decades and no matter what they call it, its commonly known as monkey sh*t brown.

There is a certain shade of brown used by car makers for decades and no matter what they call it, its commonly known as monkey sh*t brown.

Never heard of that before, however donkey brown I have come across .

colm_mcm wrote: »
    (330 in January, 110 in February)

Black 217
    Silver 127
    Scour brown 51
    White 49

85 Logan MCVs (16 1.2petrol, 4 0.9 tCe, 65 diesel)

159 Sanderos (109 1.2 petrol, 9 0.9 tCe, 41 diesel)

684 cars in total. 80% diesel, 20% petrol.

1 2014 directly imported from outside Europe

Thanks again Colm.

Guess Dacia are not too unhappy with that result?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Thanks again Colm.

Guess Dacia are not too unhappy with that result?

Why would they be unhappy? They just made €684

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got the 1st Quarter Sales results please.?

How do they compare with overall results for other manufs?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I really like the bronze colour. Very uncommon, only seen one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got the 1st Quarter Sales results please.?

How do they compare with overall results for other manufs?

Cheers

http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats/?sYear%5B%5D=2014&sYear%5B%5D=&sRegType=1&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMake%5B%5D=Dacia&sRange%5B%5D=DUSTER&x=49&y=5

717 sold so far lol FFS :eek:

fabsoul wrote: »

Not all of us can afford Lobster Thermidor and Fillet Mignon, some people can only afford meat and two veg down t' pub.
    Nothing wrong with it and once the CMax has done it's duty, 2-3 years down the road, I'll consider one of those or a Yeti ,depending on where I am financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

And to be fair, cars like the 5 Series are doing just as well if not better than the cheap and cheerful Duster. 800+ 5 Series have been sold so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

And to be fair, cars like the 5 Series are doing just as well if not better than the cheap and cheerful Duster. 800+ 5 Series have been sold so far.

Meanwhile Alfa sold 8.

8 cars.

Meanwhile Alfa sold 8.

8 cars.

Well their range is quite poor and Irish people still have that Pub talk attitude about them.

Well their range is quite poor and Irish people still have that Pub talk attitude about them.

The whole range sold 1% of the BMW 5-series alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Not all of us can afford Lobster Thermidor and Fillet Mignon, some people can only afford meat and two veg down t' pub.
    Nothing wrong with it and once the CMax has done it's duty, 2-3 years down the road, I'll consider one of those or a Yeti ,depending on where I am financially.

What do they say about buying cheap.!!! false economy

• Advertisement

I haven't heard of a single problem from a Duster since they were released here. They're built by Renault who pretty reliable these days and they come with good warranties. I can see the attraction, I'd have a 4x4 one if I was looking for a cheap new car to lug stuff around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Meanwhile Alfa sold 8.

8 cars.

I'd say a good few of those were dealer demo's - saw a few registered ones for sale on Carzone.

I supplied 1 - for someone who had a choice of a Giulietta or a Giulietta.

Interesting, can we see the numbers that helped you arrive at this conclusion, or is this just a remark thrown in at random?
    In that case Rhubarb!!! buoyant false teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Interesting, can we see the numbers that helped you arrive at this conclusion, or is this just a remark thrown in at random?
    In that case Rhubarb!!! buoyant false teeth.

I seem to remember similar conversations in 2010 when Renault were selling Megane's at rock bottom prices.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.5-DCI-/38213909168676820/advert?channel=CARS

Tells you that a Megane that cost €16,000, 4 years and 100,000km ago, is still worth the guts of €9,000.

That works out at €1,750 per year / 25,000km - very few (if any) other cars on the road can claim depreciation that low.

Not sure the Duster is going to fair quite that well, but I reckon it won't be a million miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

+1.

My mother bought a 2010 top spec Clio diesel for €14,400 in 2010. It's lost about a €1300 a year. They were giving them away back then.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Clio/1.56dci-/37313812389071660/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Meanwhile Alfa sold 8.

8 cars.

Not surprised. The Mito and Guilietta are nice cars but in my opinion, way overpriced.
    I seen a new Mito in a garage for 22.5k, yes 22.5k. Crazy money.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd say a good few of those were dealer demo's - saw a few registered ones for sale on Carzone.

I supplied 1 - for someone who had a choice of a Giulietta or a Giulietta.

Was it a 141 White Giulietta? I passed one coming out of Tesco Merrion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

road_high wrote: »
    Not surprised. The Mito and Guilietta are nice cars but in my opinion, way overpriced.
    I seen a new Mito in a garage for 22.5k, yes 22.5k. Crazy money.

Fairly sure I met a cream white Mito on the road earlier today, by God the front looked ugly at first glance.

I've seen a fair few Dusters about and I think it looks best in bronze, not that black is bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

I cannot understand how the excellent Alfa Giulietta only sold 8 units in Ireland this year, 7th best car in the UK Auto Express survey, great engines and superb styling, deserves to sell far more.

I cannot understand how the excellent Alfa Giulietta only sold 8 units in Ireland this year, 7th best car in the UK Auto Express survey, great engines and superb styling, deserves to sell far more.

Guess there are 8 Alfa Dealers in the Country ! Demo models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I can!

We have a 147 that has probably spent around 12 months in the garage getting issues sorted over the course of its lifetime.

Guess there are 8 Alfa Dealers in the Country !

12 according to their website, so basically no cars sold bar R.O.R.'s one.

12 according to their website, so basically no cars sold bar R.O.R.'s one.

Piss pot poor performance, imho.

Shame really, Alfa produced some fine looking cars over the years, sadly they have always had reliability issues.

sadly they have always had reliability issues.

They had a worse rep when the 156 came out, but that sold fairly well.

Their current performance is down to the manufacturer and dealer organization in Ireland, and a lack of product. I'll bet for ROR, getting that Giulietta from a dealer was like pulling teeth.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Fairly sure I met a cream white Mito on the road earlier today, by God the front looked ugly at first glance.

I've seen a fair few Dusters about and I think it looks best in bronze, not that black is bad either.

Spotted a 141 Duster in Bronze today. Yes it looks very well in that colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Saw one the other day in sort of metallic sky blue.
    Looked decent indeed.

bbam wrote: »
    Saw one the other day in sort of metallic sky blue.
    Looked decent indeed.

Yes saw one in Cork last week, thought it looked nice also.

I guess they have extended the colour range for 141 ?

I said from the start that colour should have been made available here as it makes it look so much better and helps hide some of the less flattering design features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

slimjimmc wrote: »

We're all entitled to our opinion and all that before its said but come on to say an Alfa looks ugly and then to go on to say the Duster doesnt look bad makes me think you may be joking a little here. :confused:

If I was in the market for that type of yolk I'd get the duster waaaaay over the Quasqui or similar big name fake jeep.

I'd like to add the Dacia Logan doesnt seem to be getting any credit either. Its another pretty ugly looking thing but my god its seriously cheap and probably just as if not more practical with the big estate type boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Beginning to frequently see Dusters on the roads now. Spotted three on a short trip this morning in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm in the market for a changing our 07 C-Max Diesel and am considering the Duster and have read this thread with interest.
    My main concern is now the build quality of the Duster, based on reading various internet forums. It seems the Indian plant that makes the RHD dusters has quality issues and this makes me nervous.
    There is a big thread about "rusty dusters" here on the UK Dacia forum. A lot of people reporting this (especially on white dusters) but what is more of a concern is the apparent apathy being shown to these customers from Dacia / Renault.

I'll still go and look at the duster in a dealer and take it for a spin however.

I was wondering if any of the Duster owners that have posted here have checked the common areas for rust as mention in the linked forum above. Here's a bit from one of the posts :
    Where to look for rust and thin paint on your Duster:

1 door apertures, take the seal off and check right round
    2 gutters, take the seal off and check right round
    3 behind the fuel filler
    4 hatch aperture, seal is glued on but its also barely painted so its worth loooking
    5 front wing rails
    6 between the rear lights and the hatch aperture, under the plastic cover, next to no paint
    7 rear corners of bonnet as per pics above

These are all being repaired on my car.

Now also:

8 under bumpers next to no paint
    9 along top scuttle, take the seal off, it rusts along top edge
    10 chassis legs and inner wings, next to no paint and could rust on edges
    11 inside of doors, next to no paint and next to no protection
    12 inside of bonnet and hatch, again next to no paint and little protection
    13 take the door cards off, cover plate on the doors totally unpainted, this item is around 3x3inches and pop riveted on
    14 along front/rear edge of top slam panel again can rust on edges

The one im worried about is bottom edges on sills, and lips on front arches, I will probably repaint the arches myself over the summer before fitting the arch kit i have here.

Taken 8 weeks to get this far...no courtesy car, totally beached.

I'd be interested in hearing back (and hopefully it's all good !!)

I'm also considering a second hand ix35, Sportage or ASX with a few years of warranty left.

EDIT : There is also a google drive link to PDF versions of the the Duster manuals and duster service manuals on that UK forum - click here to jump directly to them (Mods - if this link is not allowed please remove) - they may be of use to some of the actual owners that have taken the time to post their feedback / experience on the thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone driven the Dacia Sandero Stepway, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

I am new to this thread but here is my take on the Dacia duster, I bought the car as a ex demo with 414kms on it and a 141 reg, just one day after collection I had to return it for a water ingress that turned out to be the front windscreen leaking, the rear passenger footwell had a pool of water in it and the carpet was soaked, the dealer said I would have to have a new underlay fitted after the windscreen was resealed/refitted. 2 weeks later still not ready they said part was on back order awaiting confirmation from Dacia France. Another week later still no sign of underlay, when I asked if they could not dry out the old carpet/underlay they said no it would smell bad later on. One more week later still waiting, out of frustration I spoke to the salesman Cormack about the problem and said I would take a chance on the old carpet/underlay being dried out refitted to the car and could he speak to the service dept about it. Reluctantly they agreed and did just that, 3 months on and no smell and no more leaks, the new underlay has still not arrived and no confirmation from Dacia France, yet. I really hope nothing else goes wrong because parts for these cars are just not available. Apart from this I love the car and the bronze colour is great, no rust or any other of the problems listed on here. To any prospective buyers I would say its a good deal and lets hope they sort out the parts debacle ssoon. A friend of mine bought the Sandero Stepway at the same time I bought the Duster abeit in the UK as he lives there he loves it and has had no problems at all or does he expect any. He is a Dacia mechanic!!

Noticed a few drops of water coming from the small holes in front of the light switches on the ceiling. Presume thats the mic for the bluetooth? Put it into gear and a drop or two landed on my hand. On closer inspection seemed to be quite a collection of water. Anyone else come across anything like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

tf2 wrote: »
    Noticed a few drops of water coming from the small holes in front of the light switches on the ceiling. Presume thats the mic for the bluetooth? Put it into gear and a drop or two landed on my hand. On closer inspection seemed to be quite a collection of water. Anyone else come across anything like this?
    Could it be condensation gathering on the inside of the roof after the last few warm days? Other thing is though, if it is condensation how come there is so much moisture inside the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

tf2 wrote: »

I have heard of this before. I did a lot of research before I bought and issues like this had simple reasons and easy to rectify so never put me off.

Seemingly in majority of reported cases it is the Aerial which has not been tightened correctly and therefore not sealing properly. If you can't do it yourself get it back to the dealer straight away as the longer u leave it the worse the roof lining will get. Hopefully an easy fix though for you or the dealer. The ceiling light panel comes off fairly handy enough in most cars so I'd imagine the Duster is the same.

I was beginning to think it may have been aerial related. I'll try it myself first and if it's tricky I'll get it into the dealer asap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement