Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

tf2 wrote: »
    I was beginning to think it may have been aerial related. I'll try it myself first and if it's tricky I'll get it into the dealer asap.

Whatever it is, itll be completely free to fix under warranty;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Going in tomorrow, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

Well tf2 any more news on the water leak? I have clocked up 4000 kms now with no further problems except the engine seems noisy when warmed up and accelerating through the gears, not noticeable when engine is cold, strange but I'm told by the dealer it's normal. Anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oops...

4rep.jpg

Damn. Was actually thinking today who would be the first unlucky sod to write one off in Ireland. Hope theyre ok.

Damn. Was actually thinking today who would be the first unlucky sod to write one off in Ireland. Hope theyre ok.

There was already one wrote off in bunratty in the storms this year.

I wouldn't say that one is a write off though. I wonder if its a rental car?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There was already one wrote off in bunratty in the storms this year.

I wouldn't say that one is a write off though. I wonder if its a rental car?

It would want to be a 141:p
    The window discs look different so perhaps. White is remarkably unpopular amongst the ordinary public too.. If its just rolled on to its side and nothing else, it should be an economical repair still. But I honestly wouldn't say by huge margin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Oops...

4rep.jpg

to be fair, they are better looking from that angle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Oops...

4rep.jpg

Just putting a bit of gum gum on the exhaust :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If they ever need to cut someone out of a duster a tin opener will do the trick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Here we see what the combination of a stupidly high centre of gravity and comfy soft springs does for a car's handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Here we see what the combination of a stupidly high centre of gravity and comfy soft springs does for a car's handling.
    True but the driver had a fairly significant input also.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    True but the driver had a fairly significant input also.

Probably a rental, and he thought he was driving a real car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Doesn't bow well when they start getting used off road.

No, it's higher speed maneuvers on-road that are the problem.

In this clip you can see an Elk-test with a Duster with and without ESP.

ESP only comes on the dearer models.

In fairness, the driver doesn't quite roll it:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So in this case we can more so put it down to driver fault.

Photo is in the middle of a city so he likely shouldn't be doing more then 50km/hour, thats hardly fast.. Also he'd have to take a very sharp turn at speed to flip the car.

So in summary he/she was likely driving like an idiot

Cabaal wrote: »
    So in summary he/she was likely driving like an idiot

Yes, he was driving a basic Duster as if it was a real car.

I think the sort of driver who buys a Duster is unlikely to tip them over except in an actual crash situation. But renting Dusters out is probably asking for trouble, lots of people drive rental cars like they stole them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes, he was driving a basic Duster as if it was a real car.

I think the sort of driver who buys a Duster is unlikely to tip them over except in an actual crash situation. But renting Dusters out is probably asking for trouble, lots of people drive rental cars like they stole them.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder about them eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The driver could have clipped the kerb pretty hard exiting that road behind him.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder about them eh?

How many rental cars have you seen on their doorhandles in the street like that?

• Advertisement

How many rental cars have you seen on their doorhandles in the street like that?

:rolleyes:

Thats your logic?

Given I don't even know thats a rental for sure the answer is none, for any brand of car maker.

Duster isnt a wide heavy 4x4 to keep it planted on the road. Time will tell but as more owners hit the roads comming from a car or MPV I suspect we will see a few more on their sides.

Thats your logic?

The reason I think it's a rental is that nobody who's in that much of a hurry would buy a Duster.

Ive driven a few. They are cheap transport with some toys, nothing more. Anyone who buys them expecting volkswagen or toyota interior levels is a moron. And anyone why buys an off road designed vehicle with larger sidewalled tyres and higher ground clearance and expects to drive them like any normal car is an even bigger moron. With that in mind there are two types of Duster: the 2wd one, front wheel drive only, with a solid dead beam coil sprung axle with integrated anti roll bar. And the 4wd one. This one has multi link independent rear suspension, dedicated anti roll bar with a quad-jointed live axle all mounted to a rear sub frame.
    Both cars have the same front independent set up. Both cars, regardless, are very well planted on the road due mainly to their very low weight. It is more likely that the 2wd one would roll before the much bettet set up 4wd one but it would take monumental f*ckery to do that outside of an accident.

To anyone worried about the handling of these vehicles, take two and a half minutes to watch this. He tests a 4wd on wet, dry and off road conditions.

It is more likely that the 2wd one would roll before the much bettet set up 4wd

I also think all the 4wd ones have ESP, and the 2wd ones don't (at least, thats what a squint at dacia.ie suggests).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Is ESP not supposed to be mandatory on new cars these days?

Reading some of these comments anyone would think the Dacia Duster is a death trap, I can assure you they are not and they handle just fine when driven sensibly, they are no different to any other SUV. All these type of vehicles with a high centre of gravity are prone to body roll and if you drive like a moron you will sooner or later come to grief no matter if it's a Duster or Tiguan or Discovery or any other SUV. If you want to corner fast get a sports car, simples.

newfranko wrote: »
    they are no different to any other SUV.

All the reviews I've read say the ride is particularly good in the Duster compared to the likes of the Qashqai or Yeti because of the soft springs, but that roll, pitch and yaw are all worse as a result.

And that's before you get to SUVs that actually handle, like your Porsches and BMWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Judging by its proximity to the central line in that "pose" I'd wager it launched off the back of the parked mini. Driver error.

Fabritzo wrote: »
    Is ESP not supposed to be mandatory on new cars these days?

Googling:

The Regulation (EC) No 661/2009 ext-link.png of 13 July 2009 on general safety of motor vehicles foresees mandatory fitting of the following safety features:
    • Electronic Stability Control Systems on all vehicles (from 1 Nov 2011 for new types of vehicle and 1 Nov 2014 for all new vehicles)

I think this means that models which were new after Nov 2011 need optional ESC, and it is not compulsory as standard until 1 Nov 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Thats a Hertz Duster, looks like the new logo up by the rear view mirror on the windscreen..... They bought a shyteload of them for hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Thats a Hertz Duster, looks like the new logo up by the rear view mirror on the windscreen..... They bought a shyteload of them for hire.

Dooleys have them too. Booked a qashqai/kuga and was given one. Also had no air con as advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That photo is in the middle of Ranelagh by the recently rebuilt BOI; it's hard to see how the driver could have safely approached a T junction at enough speed to roll it even if he clipped the kerb.

Marcusm wrote: »
    it's hard to see how the driver could have safely approached a T junction at enough speed to roll it even if he clipped the kerb.

So he just came legging up Sallymount Ave, and tried to turn left?

The kerbs don't look high. (Unless they were change with the new bank building...)

So he just came legging up Sallymount Ave, and tried to turn left?

The kerbs don't look high. (Unless they were change with the new bank building...)

What struck me as odd was the videos of duster in action I never notice any other car 4x4 or SUV with its front wheels leaving the ground so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My Dacia Duster story is that I worked with a car distributor and once had an exhaust simply fall off while driving onto the truck. Nobody knew why. It just fell off the car.

The Indian assembly plant in Chennai has a lot to do with it, the quality control is notorious compared with the Romanian plant. An exhaust falling off is worrying and Dacia need to sort the QC problem out asap if they want to continue there record sales.

cantdecide wrote: »
    My Dacia Duster story is that I worked with a car distributor and once had an exhaust simply fall off while driving onto the truck. Nobody knew why. It just fell off the car.

No. Nope, no way. Ive had remove exhausts on a few to fit hitches and I genuinely believe the Indians enlisted a few Romanian witches to curse the blasted rubber mounts. I have never come across rubbers so difficult to remove! Something has to have caught it:D

If the pics on the internet and are anything to go by, then it doesn't bode well for the logetivity of these vehicles. Rust on bolts is one thing, but rust coming through the bodywork on a brand new vehicle is shocking. What will it be like in 3 or 4 years time.
    It looks like a paint over rust job was done with the bolts.

post-1073-0-46980200-1368249721.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Really cheep car in not being very good shocker!!!

gallag wrote: »
    Really cheep car in not being very good shocker!!!

They may be cheap but jeysus that's no excuse if they are rusty coming off the factory floor.

Surely you'd expect at least a few years of rust free service in this day and age, even on a cheap car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

It must have got a new wing at some stage, a socket was definitely on that bolt.

Its not bare metal under the washer is it?

Actually the white ones are in trouble in the UK, alright. Socket marks were probably just removing the wing to try to find a cause. A good few of them are rusting very prematurely which is completely unacceptable so I imagine thatll be rectified under the Renault warranty programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Actually the white ones are in trouble in the UK, alright. Socket marks were probably just removing the wing to try to find a cause. A good few of them are rusting very prematurely which is completely unacceptable so I imagine thatll be rectified under the Renault warranty programme.

Any source to that? I don't own would be interested in reports about it. I'd be demanding money back if that happened my two year old car, regardless of initial purchase price!

• Advertisement

Another pic of rust on a duster, not the wing this time.

If it can effect the white examples, then surely it can effect other colors as well, it's just harder to spot on darker colors.

post-1073-0-32642000-1368249747.jpg

Its something to do with the colour/primer combo on whites. Will get source momentarily.

Trouble getting a good one but a UK Dacia forum have a decent thread on it:
    http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/706-do-you-have-a-rusty-duster/

Its something to do with the colour/primer combo on whites. Will get source momentarily.

You would think that colour and primer would have very little to due with rust protection though, and rather it more to do with the quality of steel, or the quality of the phosphate coating, or both.

I know white sprinters rust more than metallic ones.

Nuts on wing were apparently removed when fitting alarm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement