Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I only noticed that Sandero is sander with an o on the end. Which is a bit like duster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

allibastor wrote: »
    Not the Duster, but I drove the stepaway sander recently.

Nice car, 1.5DCi engine has a bit of power, the one I had was electric blue. Looked really well parked outside the house, except for the god-awful door handles.

The car itself was quiet spacious and easy to drive, it had some power as it uses the same engine as the Duster but is lighter. Had a good bit of room for me, I am 5 10 and 102KG and I felt very spacious inside and had good room in the back for Kids. Boot was very big.

Brand new the car was 15.5K for the good model. You will get nothing for trading in a car against it as I found out, as the margin on the car for launch is very low.

Nothing cheap about that price. As for looking well outside someones house....blimey...you must live in a low rent area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

majic 69 wrote: »
    6-speed gearbox in Duster is not from Qashqai. Is romanian design for Duster only with very short first gear to imitate off-road reduction useful in difficult terrain. Gearbox is one of the Duster weakest point works stiff and is imprecise like in old off roaders, reminds me Nissan Terrano from mid ‘90.

Not really:
    http://www.daciagroup.com/en/press/press-releases/2010/tl-gearbox-number-300000-manufactured-dacia-duster

I know the TL4 from a Scenic dCi105 and this is a really pleasant manual gearbox (not sure about the differences with the TL8 variant besides the shorter gearing).
    Much better anyway than the 5 speed ones you can find on the current Renault/Dacia.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So Sandero has same power as a Captur?
    Guessing Stepway is also equal in that case

Yes 90hp.
    That Stepway is rated 11'8 for the 0-100, same as the 2WD Duster 110hp or a Focus TDCi 105.
    Captur dCi 90 is 13'1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Incidentally the duster is also sold as the Nissan Terrano!
    Talking of the indian produced SUVs, have you heard about the Ford Ecosport?
    It's for sale from 23.995€ here (!!).
    In India where it is (cheaply?) made, this is smaller and logically cheaper than the Duster (my xe.com say that is from 7600€! vs 9800€ for the Duster)
    Quite can't understand the difference. Is it shipped in golden containers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 majic 69

I’ve tried TL8 and does the job but it wasn’t very pleasant experience. Particularly reduction from 3rd to 2nd was catching and blocking quite often. This was even investigated under warranty but nothing was found. Short first gear is a clever move and makes whole reduction box redundant.

Lutecia wrote: »
    In India where it is (cheaply?) made, this is smaller and logically cheaper than the Duster (my xe.com say that is from 7600€! vs 9800€ for the Duster)

I saw ford ireland advertising it on facebook and begged them not to import them.

The price you see for the ford may be pre tax

Edit, you seem to be right!

1.0 ecoboost titanium us 10,400 over there, like for like with the Irish which is €23,995

You have 18% VRT, 23% VAT, 10% import duty to contend with too I suppose.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I saw ford ireland advertising it on facebook and begged them not to import them.

The price you see for the ford may be pre tax

Edit, you seem to be right!

1.0 ecoboost titanium us 10,400 over there, like for like with the Irish which is €23,995

You have 18% VRT, 23% VAT, 10% import duty to contend with too I suppose.

Yes I haven't gone into the details of the versions/options to be honest, but there seems to be quite a big difference hard to explain.
    If we go the other way around and take an Irish Duster, then subsctract VAT, VRT, etc, you end up with a Duster cheaper than in India :D
    Oh, marketing!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Nothing cheap about that price. As for looking well outside someones house....blimey...you must live in a low rent area?

Good God man have a day off!

• Advertisement

newfranko wrote: »
    Good God man have a day off!

God no, never....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

It's because of the Indian tax laws, as the Ford is shorter it pays a massive amount less in tax when buying, they have similar laws regarding engine size and ride height.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

God no, never....

What, you're in France, lovely spot, if a bit crowded with Dusters I hear.
    :cool::P
    Try the escargot, it's delicious.

What, you're in France, lovely spot, if a bit crowded with Dusters I hear.
    :cool::P
    Try the escargot, it's delicious.

Had them last night...they were delicious. I also had frogs and some horse. Yum.

Yes. Lots of oul datchas here...cheap n cheerful bought by tight french hoors... but at least they are cheap here....cos there is nothing cheap about them in irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Had them last night...they were delicious. I also had frogs and some horse. Yum.

Yes. Lots of oul datchas here...cheap n cheerful bought by tight french hoors... but at least they are cheap here....cos there is nothing cheap about them in irl
    You're talking about the datchas, roite? ;)
    I'm seeing a lot more Dacia Dusters (and the odd Logan) around lately so they're catching on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

Some of the reason for cars being cheaper over in India is that although a car may look the same, lots of stuff underneath has been cut out. I'd say the likes of airbags, ABS account for a significant percentage cost of a new Duster.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-25974754

• Advertisement

Yes I haven't gone into the details of the versions/options to be honest, but there seems to be quite a big difference hard to explain.
    If we go the other way around and take an Irish Duster, then subsctract VAT, VRT, etc, you end up with a Duster cheaper than in India :D
    Oh, marketing!
    The Indian ford is by by no means stripped out. The indian titanium spec is massively higher than anything yo u can get on a duster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

majic 69 wrote: »
      Short first gear is a clever move and makes whole reduction box redundant.

No way can a short first gear even be compared to a reduction box let alone make it redundant.

Duster isn't a capable off roader and lack of ruduction box coupled with small engine only make it suitable for tracks.

There is a reason why full size 4x4 have 3 liter engines and reduction / transfer boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

visual wrote: »
    No way can a short first gear even be compared to a reduction box let alone make it redundant.

Duster isn't a capable off roader and lack of ruduction box coupled with small engine only make it suitable for tracks.

There is a reason why full size 4x4 have 3 liter engines and reduction / transfer boxes

Very capable vehicle off road. Would give many larger 4x4s or AWDs a run for their money. Can be 1000+ kg lighter than some 3 litre 4x4s too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

tf2 wrote: »
    Very capable vehicle off road.

Well, except for all the front wheel drive ones.

And hardly the point - no-one is going to buy one of these for off-roading, the nearest it'll get will be mounting a kerb outside a primary school.

Well, except for all the front wheel drive ones.

Indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

no-one is going to buy one of these for off-roading, the nearest it'll get will be mounting a kerb outside a primary school.

So basically the same as 99.8% of all SUV's and 4x4's in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

The Duster is actually very competent off-road even with the M+S standard tyres. OK, I didn't exactly get it stuck up to the bottom of the doors, but it handled very well in dry and wet sand, and also last years Ninja snow we got down here in the SE. I've had my share of Fourtraks/Patrols/Land Cruisers used purely for off-roading and obviously the Duster will never be in quite that league, it certainly was fun and surprisingly capable!

And hardly the point - no-one is going to buy one of these for off-roading, the nearest it'll get will be mounting a kerb outside a primary school.

Mine spends a good portion of time off the road. Comes in great on the bog too. Well capable of pulling fully loaded trailers of turf.
    duster_zpsbc5bf251.jpg

Great photo there tf2, shows just what these cars can do, a workhorse as well as everyday transport. Did you get the towbar from the dealer?

newfranko wrote: »
    Did you get the towbar from the dealer?

Had the dealer fit the towbar before I picked it up. Very neat and tidy job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Took one for a test drive today, and must say I was impressed with it. Was nice to drive, cheap finish and dash but expected that, but otherwise thought it was comfortable and sturdy on the road. Very tempted to get one, I'm basically looking for a reliable cheap car that's going to give me four years or more of low cost running. 280 euro tax is good.

The only thing I could fault was in idle the steering wheel vibrated a bit, but other than that now issues. The wife took it for a spin and she liked it but thought the gears were a bit wieldy. She drives a Passat at the moment and has done for years, whereas I drive a wide range of cars, so probably am more used to different types of driving experience.

Anyway, as I was in the show room I spotted a 132 fluence R-link dci 1.5 and was listed at 19.900 which grabbed my attention. 8k miles on it too, so less than a year old with four year warranty on it.

Anyone know how this will compare with regards my requirements, a cheap car to run with a good manufacturers warranty. The Renault seems to be a better fit even if not new as it has four years unlimited mileage warranty still left and cost only 200 euro in tax.

I'm thinking I could probe get it for about the same cost of the duster finance wise, hoping to get about 6k trade in on the 07 Passat and throw another two towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The Fluence was revised in '13, getting a face lift, DRLs, better feel interior and much, much better seats. As a Samsung car (another renault company!) Its a much closer car to the rest of Renault range in terms of interior quality. Im a Dusters fan but 8k kms is nothing and it while both are comfortable in their own regards. The Fluence is better by a decent enough margin. Id go the Fluence myself if the prices were very similar over finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Took one for a test drive today, and must say I was impressed with it. Was nice to drive, cheap finish and dash but expected that, but otherwise thought it was comfortable and sturdy on the road. Very tempted to get one, I'm basically looking for a reliable cheap car that's going to give me four years or more of low cost running. 280 euro tax is good.

The only thing I could fault was in idle the steering wheel vibrated a bit, but other than that now issues. The wife took it for a spin and she liked it but thought the gears were a bit wieldy. She drives a Passat at the moment and has done for years, whereas I drive a wide range of cars, so probably am more used to different types of driving experience.

Anyway, as I was in the show room I spotted a 132 fluence R-link dci 1.5 and was listed at 19.900 which grabbed my attention. 8k miles on it too, so less than a year old with four year warranty on it.

Anyone know how this will compare with regards my requirements, a cheap car to run with a good manufacturers warranty. The Renault seems to be a better fit even if not new as it has four years unlimited mileage warranty still left and cost only 200 euro in tax.

I'm thinking I could probe get it for about the same cost of the duster finance wise, hoping to get about 6k trade in on the 07 Passat and throw another two towards it.

You would be doing Well to get the same Trade in for a fluence as a dacia. I went to trade in for a stepway, i was offered 5.5 k for my car towards a renault or 3k towards the dacia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You would be doing Well to get the same Trade in for a fluence as a dacia. I went to trade in for a stepway, i was offered 5.5 k for my car towards a renault or 3k towards the dacia

So I'm likely to get a better trade in against the Renault ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

So I'm likely to get a better trade in against the Renault ?

From what i have experienced Yes, the margin on the dacia seems to be Small, so not as much room to wiggle on Trade Price.

On that note though, makes me wonder how much Mark up is on other cars is, the dacia is meant to be 35% cheaper than the similar class but with margin changes it doesnt seem so

• Advertisement

Same here the dealer offered 3.5k for my 07 Nissan Note sve against the Duster I declined and got 4.8k on Donedeal. I then bought the Duster for cash. They said margins would not allow them to offer more but they could do better if I bought a Renault.

Just an update to my previous posts, I have just completed a 2,000 kilometre trip around Donegal, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Northern France, the Duster performed faultlessly returning close to 50 mpg and still not showing any signs of rust so far although it's early days! I was amazed how many of these are in use in France and how well they regard them, most people there say they would buy another and a lot of mark 2 Dusters are already on the road. Not all the English were so happy with them as the usual Chennai quality control problems seemed to dampen their enthusiam, however most of them were happy enough including Sandero owners. I must say the romanian built Dusters are of better quality than their Indian counterparts having looked at the French Dusters both mark 1 and 2. Dacia really need to sort this out especially the paint issues which are the biggest let down on a potentially good car, rust due to poor paint is just not acceptable on a new car and although Dacia has owned up to the problem on some cars nothing is forthcoming from them to rectify them. I feel this could destroy their reputation and resale prices could suffer, come on Dacia get your act together, Indian cars should be of comparable quality to Romanian ones and both Irish and English customers deserve a better customer service from you. It's appalling the way they are treated over such worrying issues after spending their hard earned cash on your cars. Lets hope future sales of the Duster are of improved quality.

Look what is the best seller in August on our shores (for anyone doubting the popularity of this model)

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2014/09/01/ireland-august-2014-dacia-duster-takes-the-lead/

I wonder how it is getting popular. The brand obviously doesn't have Toyota's reputation, and many people still don't know that Dacia actually exist. Is word-to-mouth playing a big role ? Are there advertising campaigns (TV/Papers)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Look what is the best seller in August on our shores (for anyone doubting the popularity of this model)

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2014/09/01/ireland-august-2014-dacia-duster-takes-the-lead/

I wonder how it is getting popular. The brand obviously doesn't have Toyota's reputation, and many people still don't know that Dacia actually exist. Is word-to-mouth playing a big role ? Are there advertising campaigns (TV/Papers)?

The Irish people seem to love a fake jeep. The Nissan quashqai for example was massively popular. When people saw they could get something similar for less ''quash''.. see what I did there? .. Moving on.. They jumped for it.

Personally I really don't see the appeal of them. I think the Dacia estate, can't remember it's name, is a faaaar better option. More practical and cheaper too.

But alas, estates are out. Fake jeeps are in.

I should mention I say fake jeeps as most of quasqais and Dacia yolks are 2wheel drive. Kinda defeats the purpose of a proper jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Who are the 3 crazy lads that bought a Tesla:D:D

Would love a test drive of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Fair product at a fair-ish price. Got to be a winner in Ireland.

Cynic in me wonders if it's a publicity stunt with delayed registrations mind.

The Irish people seem to love a fake jeep. The Nissan quashqai for example was massively popular. When people saw they could get something similar for less ''quash''.. see what I did there? .. Moving on.. They jumped for it.

Personally I really don't see the appeal of them. I think the Dacia estate, can't remember it's name, is a faaaar better option. More practical and cheaper too.

But alas, estates are out. Fake jeeps are in.

I should mention I say fake jeeps as most of quasqais and Dacia yolks are 2wheel drive. Kinda defeats the purpose of a proper jeep.

Well, the thing is that a lot of houses in the countryside are down potholed boreens with grass growing down the middle, fairly large potholes and rocks that fell out of the stone walls.
    It is practical to have something that is a bit higher, with a bit more ground clearance and tolerance to bumps.
    If you drove a normal car with today's low-profile tires and soft alloys down those roads, you'd be visiting the tire place once or twice a week.
    The advantage of something like the Duster (or similar) is that it is built for that kind of terrain without need for heavy, complicated, useless, catastrophically expensive in case of failure, power-sapping, tire-eating and MPG reducing 4WD gear that a lot of people buy so they can say "My car has 4WD, Doncherknow!" And they might even get to use it once every 10 years.
    "Proper" Jeeps (I can hear the Landrover brigade howl in pain at that) are useless for 99.9% of the population.
    Of course, if you do want extra weight that saps power, eats tires and fuel, there is a 4WD option. I bet it is endlessly useful on the motorway. :cool:

This does, of course, not explain the people who will buy such a car or a proper 4WD to bring their precious little angel 200 meters to school and back and maybe the supermarket down the road. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Well, the thing is that a lot of houses in the countryside are down potholed boreens with grass growing down the middle, fairly large potholes and rocks that fell out of the stone walls.
    It is practical to have something that is a bit higher, with a bit more ground clearance and tolerance to bumps.
    If you drove a normal car with today's low-profile tires and soft alloys down those roads, you'd be visiting the tire place once or twice a week.
    The advantage of something like the Duster (or similar) is that it is built for that kind of terrain without need for heavy, complicated, useless, catastrophically expensive in case of failure, power-sapping, tire-eating and MPG reducing 4WD gear that a lot of people buy so they can say "My car has 4WD, Doncherknow!" And they might even get to use it once every 10 years.
    "Proper" Jeeps (I can hear the Landrover brigade howl in pain at that) are useless for 99.9% of the population.
    Of course, if you do want extra weight that saps power, eats tires and fuel, there is a 4WD option. I bet it is endlessly useful on the motorway. :cool:

This does, of course, not explain the people who will buy such a car or a proper 4WD to bring their precious little angel 200 meters to school and back and maybe the supermarket down the road. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people buying fake jeeps think about potholes. Few I'd imagine.

The bottom line is the duster/quashqai/I35/kuga/etc brigade are people who think it's more spacious and looks like a big jeep.

Most of them are women and most of them don't think about tyres or mpg or well any of what you mention be it in the sticks or the city.

By the way I agree they have their place as do all vehicles but absolutely not to the extent that they're currently selling. A fad maybe? Kinda like Ireland and it's love of saloons. Am I right in saying the Astra doesn't have a saloon model outside of Ireland?

Or the most obvious Irish fad of people buyin diesel cars who don't do anywhere near the mileage required/recommended as it saves them a few quid at the pump. That 5k purchase price doesn't count though as I got cheaper tax. ......... ..,what do you mean my car has a turbo/egr/filters..... ... Etc

Again I don't care what others drive. I'm simply saying most people who go with the fake jeep don't consider the estate version as it's not as "in".

Kinda the keeping up with the jones on a budget scale. I may be broke but i can afford a fake jeep! Yay me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I wonder how many people buying fake jeeps think about potholes. Few I'd imagine.

The bottom line is the duster/quashqai/I35/kuga/etc brigade are people who think it's more spacious and looks like a big jeep.

Most of them are women and most of them don't think about tyres or mpg or well any of what you mention be it in the sticks or the city.

By the way I agree they have their place as do all vehicles but absolutely not to the extent that they're currently selling. A fad maybe? Kinda like Ireland and it's love of saloons. Am I right in saying the Astra doesn't have a saloon model outside of Ireland?

Or the most obvious Irish fad of people buyin diesel cars who don't do anywhere near the mileage required/recommended as it saves them a few quid at the pump. That 5k purchase price doesn't count though as I got cheaper tax. ......... ..,what do you mean my car has a turbo/egr/filters..... ... Etc

Again I don't care what others drive. I'm simply saying most people who go with the fake jeep don't consider the estate version as it's not as "in".

Kinda the keeping up with the jones on a budget scale. I may be broke but i can afford a fake jeep! Yay me.

Diesels tend to be all that's offered as the petrol can't match it in terms of cost. Rare amongst manufacturers where the diesel is more expensive bar VAG cars.

Astra saloon is available in most 3rd world countries though:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rotten cheap looking cars with bit's off cars from years gone by.

Some may like em but I nearly vomit every time I see 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Some may like em but I nearly vomit every time I see 1.

I'm getting used to the look of them now there are more around, they aren't so bad from the outside. Will be interesting to see what happens when folks start trying to trade them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Bigger wheels would help a lot...

OSI wrote: »
    Ah here. Say what you will about the Duster, Qashqai etc but if you think they were designed and built with driving down potholed country boreens and not cruising city streets, you're mad.

I very well could be..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Went to Dacia dealer in Midleton a few weeks ago, wanting to check out price and trade in value for my dad with the Sandero TCe.

Was a little suspicious when I realised that there were no Sanderos on the forecourt. Turns out that they're sold out completely, same with the Clio TCe. Salesman checked the database, no TCe Sanderos at all in the country. Order time is about 8 weeks, so might as well go for a 151. He also told me that 3 weeks previously he had ordered two petrol Clios and neither had been put into production yet, so probably even longer than 8 weeks.

Am I mistaken or is cruise control not available at all in the Duster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Who are the 3 crazy lads that bought a Tesla:D:D

Would love a test drive of that

And only 2 Alfas - oh dear :(

• Advertisement

Imagine in less then 10 years nearly every car will be diesel or 1litre petrol.

I love cars, anything with an engine but it's sad to see no decent cars anymore as the tax and costs are so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Imagine in less then 10 years nearly every car will be diesel or 1litre petrol.

I love cars, anything with an engine but it's sad to see no decent cars anymore as the tax and costs are so high.

Wasn't some Mercedes bigwig quoted a while ago saying that Mercedes would not be making any diesel cars by the end of the decade? Increasingly strict emissions legislation will make diesel engines too complex and too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm just back from France, and saw lots of Dacia's in all shapes, sizes and colours... the French love their 'comfy chair' cars and they are flocking to the Dacia inspite of them not been the most plush cars around! So like em or hate em the Dacia is a bit like Aldi or Lidl... they are good value for money - and that's whats matters!

DIF wrote: »
    I'm just back from France, and saw lots of Dacia's in all shapes, sizes and colours... the French love their 'comfy chair' cars and they are flocking to the Dacia inspite of them not been the most plush cars around! So like em or hate em the Dacia is a bit like Aldi or Lidl... they are good value for money - and that's whats matters!

French love Reanault and others like fiat and peugeot.

Dacia is just a cheaper renault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Anjobe wrote: »
    Increasingly strict emissions legislation will make diesel engines too complex and too expensive.
    When Euro 6 emission regs kick in they're going to create a lot of difficulties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement