Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

ba_barabus wrote: »
    When Euro 6 emission regs kick in they're going to create a lot of difficulties.

Which increases fuel consumption in order to improve emissions. It's the case with HGVs anyway, dunno will the same nonsense happen with smaller car engines. I really hope they go back to the drawing board with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

pajor wrote: »
    Am I mistaken or is cruise control not available at all in the Duster?

No cruise control available in the Duster, don't know about other Dacia models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

tf2 wrote: »
    No cruise control available in the Duster, don't know about other Dacia models.

Facelift Duster can have cruise control (and satnav too), I wonder when it will get here?
    Sanderos/Logan MCV have cruise control/speed limiter standard on the Signature trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Starting to see a lot of Dusters about and I dont think they look to bad at all. Pity about the cattle trailer style wheels on some of them.

I think they are a great spacious car and value for those who want new.

I think they look much more a big family car than someone forking out nearly 17/18k for a new fiesta at the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

So Dacia has finally seen sense and moved production to Romania for the Duster RHD models. No wonder as Chennai has crap QC with a low skilled workforce, why they did'nt do this from the start is beyond me. I just hope those people with problem cars are all sorted. I have been lucky so far with just wipers and wiper arms needing to be replaced because they went rusty after 8 months, but still waiting to be done by the dealership. Parts are currently unavailable which is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Rental companies seem to have a whole bunch of them on the roads in ireland. Hence the high sales I presume....wait till they offload them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Rental companies seem to have a whole bunch of them on the roads in ireland. Hence the high sales I presume....wait till they offload them.....

You don't ever want to buy a previous rental car!

Basically your talking 500+ previous owners!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Basically your talking 500+ previous owners!

Agreeed...i worked in the rental sector...never buy an ex rental.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

MidlandsM wrote: »

or at least check to see if I've ever rented it:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But rental cars are the fastest cars of all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I worked in the rental sector too, bought a 6 month old rental car with 11k on it, drove it for 11 years with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They lose that power along with their high cornering speeds and ultra short stopping distances as soon as they cease to be rental cars.

I worked in the rental sector too, bought a 6 month old rental car with 11k on it, drove it for 11 years with no issues

Hmm strange as there is no reason why a rental company would be selling a 6 month old car.

They hold onto them for 2/3 years mimimum, but hey maybe you were special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

2nd fastest, only behind the white van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Hmm strange as there is no reason why a rental company would be selling a 6 month old car.

Many cars are leased out to the rental companies operating out of the airports, I bought it from the main dealer after the rental company returned it after the April to October summer season, this isn't unusual at all.

Plenty of 141 reg cars will be coming on the market after the summer, with low km's, nothing wrong with them

If I was presented with a 3 yr old car as a rental, I would refuse it unless it was an unusual or rare model

And yes, I am special ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Many cars are leased out to the rental companies operating out of the airports, I bought it from the main dealer after the rental company returned it after the April to October summer season, this isn't unusual at all.

Plenty of 141 reg cars will be coming on the market after the summer, with low km's, nothing wrong with them

If I was presented with a 3 yr old car as a rental, I would refuse it unless it was an unusual or rare model

And yes, I am special ;)

NVD currently have a contract with Hertz to fix up and move on the 141 reg cars, a Sales listing is available.
    Most cars have 20kkm on them or less.

Companies such as autodirect.ie and autoxpress.ie also deal in New and nearly New fleet cars

allibastor wrote: »
    NVD currently have a contract with Hertz to fix up and move on the 141 reg cars, a Sales listing is available.
    Most cars have 20kkm on them or less.

Companies such as autodirect.ie and autoxpress.ie also deal in New and nearly New fleet cars

Yes. You hit the nail on tbe head there. Nvd have their own body shop for all the body work ex rentals require before theyre dumped onto the market to autodirect and the likes... So, they see paint, are driven within an inch of their lives and some of the funky sh1t the goes on inside rentals made me decide never to spend my own cash on one.

And yes, I am special ;)

Leased from who exactly?

I know leaseplan lease from the rental companies so its funny that the rental companies then lease from the dealerships.

• Advertisement

Is there not a VRT exemption for rental cars that's time limited? I know when I was in secondary school many years ago, I worked on the forecourt of a main dealer (when petrol was pumped by employees, not customers) where I used also clean out the trade ins. Round about this time of year, there was always a big delivery of that years ex-rental cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Leased from who exactly?

I know leaseplan lease from the rental companies so its funny that the rental companies then lease from the dealerships.

Lots of main dealers lease cars to rental companies... Basically the main dealer pre-registers the car in their name - lease them to the likes of Avis / Hertz etc, then after the summer Avis return the cars to the main dealer. The main dealer then sells them on- often describing them as demo models cos the mileage is so low. Some of the smaller rental companies do lease cars themselves - they would be the 2-3 year old rental cars you see. I pity anybody that buys one of them - the cars will have endured 2-3 years of heavy driving and fender benders by North Americans not used to narrow Irish roads. I've heard stories of rentals been driven from Dingle to Dublin in first gear... and the gearboxes naturally dying a premature death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Any idea when we will see the "new" duster over here?
    Brochures and information already on the dacia UK website, no mention on the Irish one.

biblio wrote: »
    Brochures and information already on the dacia UK website, no mention on the Irish one.

Id say they are here and will be diaplayed at the ploughing championships.

They have a commercial version ready to go to market i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leonardermo

biblio wrote: »

I contacted Dacia on their Customer Relations phone no. about two weeks ago to ask when the new duster would be here,they took all my details and said they would contact me,I'm still waiting..........

I contacted Dacia on their Customer Relations phone no. about two weeks ago to ask when the new duster would be here,they took all my details and said they would contact me,I'm still waiting..........

You need help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Rusty Dacia driver

Watch out for rust on those new Dacia Dusters. I had seen the Duster in use in France and Germany and talked to people who had them. I got good reports and bought a 141 reg one in January of this year. I had not realised that the RHD version is made in India. There is a serious build quality issue on those Indian built Dusters.
    Mine has started to show serious rust problems already. Check out the UK boards for the rust issues with RHD models. Rust is now showing in my car in all the usual area - the join under the seal over the drivers door - under the bonnet - basically everywhere that there is a panel edge. The paint is so thin on the panel edges that you can actually see the metal - this is where the rust starts. I believe the metal was not treated properly before painting and the paint job is not good. A recall for treatment has now started in the UK. Given the rust issues I see appearing on my car I am not sure treatment is possible or practical.
    I suggest you considering this issue carefully before buying one of these cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You need help

:D:D

As regards them being built in Indian, I think production is now being moved elsewhere as they have had continued quality problems.

Watch out for rust on those new Dacia Dusters. I had seen the Duster in use in France and Germany and talked to people who had them. I got good reports and bought a 141 reg one in January of this year. I had not realised that the RHD version is made in India. There is a serious build quality issue on those Indian built Dusters.
    Mine has started to show serious rust problems already. Check out the UK boards for the rust issues with RHD models. Rust is now showing in my car in all the usual area - the join under the seal over the drivers door - under the bonnet - basically everywhere that there is a panel edge. The paint is so thin on the panel edges that you can actually see the metal - this is where the rust starts. I believe the metal was not treated properly before painting and the paint job is not good. A recall for treatment has now started in the UK. Given the rust issues I see appearing on my car I am not sure treatment is possible or practical.
    I suggest you considering this issue carefully before buying one of these cars...

Sounds like they're all ready to launch a Datsun version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I remember when Datsun first came to Ireland way back.
    After a few months they started to fall apart because they weren't made for our climate and they were rubbish anyway.

I was at the the ploughing champion show and visited the Dacia stand, the Duster they had on display was a very blinged up signature 4WD but the current model and not the new facelift model. Also on display was the commercial Duster and I must say it attracted a lot of intrest from visitors, a sales guy was there to help with inquiries but not so helpful when asked about the dismal lack of spares for a car that has now been on sale for over 18 months. What good is a warranty if there are no parts to replace faulty items? Their answer....we'll let you know when they become available. Not much good if your car is off the road.

• Advertisement

newfranko wrote: »
    I was at the the ploughing champion show and visited the Dacia stand, the Duster they had on display was a very blinged up signature 4WD but the current model and not the new facelift model. Also on display was the commercial Duster and I must say it attracted a lot of intrest from visitors, a sales guy was there to help with inquiries but not so helpful when asked about the dismal lack of spares for a car that has now been on sale for over 18 months. What good is a warranty if there are no parts to replace faulty items? Their answer....we'll let you know when they become available. Not much good if your car is off the road.

Agreed. You pay for what you get with these yokes, not just in the physical vehicle itself, but in the warranty, the back up, the service and the statement you make driving one (that you are a bit tight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Agreed. You pay for what you get with these yokes, not just in the physical vehicle itself, but in the warranty, the back up, the service and the statement you make driving one (that you are a bit tight).

Jesus, that's one of the most pathetic, shallow statements I've read in a long time.

Ultimate facepalm stuff there.

Jesus, that's one of the most pathetic, shallow statements I've read in a long time.

Ultimate facepalm stuff there.

Ahhhhhhh....you obviously are a duster owner...and iv rattled yer cage??

Then a helluva lot of "tight" drivers are appearing on our roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow. this thread is still going

Ahhhhhhh....you obviously are a duster owner...and iv rattled yer cage??

Nope, never had one.. I've had a passat and a discovery as my last two cars, I'd never be so vain as to make an assumption of a person based on the price of the car they drive.

newfranko wrote: »
    Then a helluva lot of "tight" drivers are appearing on our roads.

Yeah. Was the same when ladas and fso's arrived!
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wow. this thread is still going

Yeah...like an oul bad smell
    Nope, never had one.. I've had a passat and a discovery as my last two cars, I'd never be so vain as to make an assumption of a person based on the price of the car they drive.

Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Don't forget the fluence. If ever there was a tight car user!

God yeah.... More and more people got sucked in by them yokes....ughhh, wait till the warranty runs out....

Yeah, I'm just mortified driving that, what do the neighbours think of me.

Perhaps when you grow up a bit you will learn that life just isn't about keeping up with the jones.

Good night.

• Advertisement

Perhaps when you grow up a bit you will learn that life just isn't about keeping up with the jones.

Good night.

Nite nite.....

Be sure to enjoy your duster tomorrow.....

God yeah.... More and more people got sucked in by them yokes....ughhh, wait till the warranty runs out....

Why do you feel the need to come on here and constantly slate cars that the ordinary person drives. Not everyone can afford an OMGWHEELSPINZ poser mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Good night.

Strike a cord with you did I.

I drive a 4 year old Mazda 6 so I'm hardly keeping up with the jones.

I'd faaaaaaaaar rather drive that to a new bog spec ball of Renault muck.

I'd hate to see some of the nice cars that were traded in on scrappage for these yolks.

I'd hate to see some of the nice cars that were traded in on scrappage for these yolks.

Nice car the Mazda 6, glad you enjoy it.

If I knew that what I drove bothered someone, I would purposely buy the most fcuked up, rusty, ugly car I could find and drill holes in the exhaust. Probably rig up some kind of oil injection system for added smoke. :p
    For the more image conscious amongst you, you could of course ask you friends, family and mates down the pub what car you should drive, so they don't talk about you behind your back and laugh at you. :rolleyes:

Nice for you, but if everyone thought like you, there would be no second hand cars and they would cost a bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Good night.

People can and will drive whatever the he'll they want.

But I think the reason most people are buying Dacias is because they want to keep up with Jones and say look at my 142 reg plate.

Since we all know in Ireland it's the reg plate that counts to most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I drive a 12yo Focus and it actually gets me from A to B economically.
    Should get 4 more years out of her.

Quite frankly don't get the hard-on people get for cars. I don't judge people by their cars (except merc drivers, evil folk, them:D).

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to come on here and constantly slate cars that the ordinary person drives. Not everyone can afford an OMGWHEELSPINZ poser mobile.

I dont feel any need.. Only just my own opinion on these awful excuse for a jacked up sandero....

Are you an ordinary person? If so, what car do you drive in your ordinary life?

• Advertisement

I dont feel any need.. Only just my own opinion on these awful excuse for a jacked up sandero....

Are you an ordinary person? If so, what car do you drive in your ordinary life?

They're the pinnacle of the Roma-Franco-Ind motoring collaboration and tradition.

Am I ordinary? No I'm VERY special. I drive a posh FIAT. What do you drive?

Advertisement