Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

:confused:
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    They're the pinnacle of the Roma-Franco-Ind motoring collaboration and tradition.

Am I ordinary? No I'm VERY special. I drive a posh FIAT. What do you drive?

Depends what i sit into?

Posh fiat ehhhhhh...is there such a thing?

And on the flipside, would a dacia be a paupers renault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

MidlandsM wrote: »

Depends what i sit into?

Paupers Renault? The thinking mans Renault surely.

Paupers Renault? The thinking mans Renault surely.

Like linden village cider?

Cheap, nasty but gets you drunk all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Depends what i sit into?

Posh fiat I assume means Alfa.

Like linden village cider?

Cheap, nasty but gets you drunk all the same.

I'm gathering from your post about multiple cars you're either a dealer with a vested interest in how well the Dacia does (Skoda perhaps and afraid of cheap competition) or someone with a number of cars compensation for *ahem* a lack of metal elsewhere.

You've never actually given us a reason to dislike a car the people can afford other than the badge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Posh fiat I assume means Alfa.

Afraid when you're balancing a bar stool on the horse that's 18 hands high there isn't much brainpower left for poor MM to work that one out. He seems to hate people being responsible with their budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

5live wrote: »
    I drive a 12yo Focus and it actually gets me from A to B economically.
    Should get 4 more years out of her.

Quite frankly don't get the hard-on people get for cars. I don't judge people by their cars (except merc drivers, evil folk, them:D).

Really. I know some people who drive Mercs and not small ones and I can tell you now they are the nicest,kindest most caring people you could ever come across. So please don,t judge a person by there car judge them by how they drive there car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Afraid when you're balancing a bar stool on the horse that's 18 hands high there isn't much brainpower left for poor MM to work that one out. He seems to hate people being responsible with their budget.

Aaahh here ba_barabus, now you are just being rude. Like in fairness, you are the right one driving a cheap ass alfa...shure they are worth nothing.

Do you like austerity?

Aaahh here ba_barabus, now you are just being rude. Like in fairness, you are the right one driving a cheap ass alfa...shure they are worth nothing.

Do you like austerity?

It has refocused me on the priorities in life.

Impressing my neighbours with stupidity and financial carelessness isn't one

It has refocused me on the priorities in life.

Impressing my neighbours with stupidity and financial carelessness isn't one

Heres the thing...youd never impress the neighbours with a dacia.. 142 plate or not.

• Advertisement

Heres the thing...youd never impress the neighbours with a dacia.. 142 plate or not.

I'm not trying to impress them though......I'd prefer live within my means ;)

You still haven't said what's wrong with a Dacia.....I take it there isn't really anything other than the willy waving factor then.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Too true, I always think there is someone who paid way over the top for a numberplate stuck to a pile of crap that will be worth nothing in a couple of years. I also find Duster drivers to be the worst on the road. Neither the wing mirros or indicators work.

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Too true, I always think there is someone who paid way over the top for a numberplate stuck to a pile of crap that will be worth nothing in a couple of years. I also find Duster drivers to be the worst on the road. Neither the wing mirros or indicators work.

There isn't enough out there to tell that.

The thing is some people want a new car. Others want a used premium badge. Most can only afford one or the other......don't be jealous if you're that person.

And don't hate them or their cars for being responsible.

Paying crazy money for a new car that'll depreciate faster than the Liverpool Premier League champions 2014 t shirts is hard being responsible though is it though is it?

Paying crazy money for a new car that'll depreciate faster than the Liverpool Premier League champions 2014 t shirts is hard being responsible though is it though is it?

It's all relative. If it looses 5000 per year after 4 years it's worth nowt. A CashCow will be worth 10k...... But will cost that more initially. And we all know the Duster won't be worth €0 after 4 years.

Sounds like a bargain to me for a private buyer.

Has Chaappee tax and all sure!

Has Chaappee tax and all sure!

And cheap servicing.

It's great you've come around to pointing out the positives :)

What do you drive ShaunieVW?

2001 A3 1.8T. Best little car ever lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

And cheap servicing.

It's great you've come around to pointing out the positives :)

What do you drive ShaunieVW?
    Are you sure about the cheap servicing? A gallon of oil for them is about 50 euro from a motor factors. If the fuel filter is the same as the one in the Nissan NV200, (same engine) they are dear enough too.

Seriously though, Renaults are bad enough without buying a cheaper version of one. I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Are you sure about the cheap servicing? A gallon of oil for them is about 50 euro from a motor factors. If the fuel filter is the same as the one in the Nissan NV200, (same engine) they are dear enough too.

Seriously though, Renaults are bad enough without buying a cheaper version of one. I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Cheap relative to competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Cheap relative to competitors.
    LOL. You're probably right, even though most of its competitors has exactly the same engine. They are in feckin everything now!:D

pablo128 wrote: »
    LOL. You're probably right, even though most of its competitors has exactly the same engine. They are in feckin everything now!:D

The other point is as it's such a well known engine you could bring it to an independent who will know the engines by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

Nite nite.....

Be sure to enjoy your duster tomorrow.....

Yeah and you enjoy your Jag/Beamer or whatever. feckin snob.

newfranko wrote: »

I remember when people used to laugh at Skoda. Now they trade their merc in for one.........sucking on lemons they are

The other point is as it's such a well known engine you could bring it to an independent who will know the engines by now.

Any decent independent should manage most jobs on most engines without issue, there isn't as much black magic to the trade as some people think.

Augeo wrote: »
    Any decent independent should manage most jobs on most engines without issue, there isn't as much black magic to the trade as some people think.

I know but fault finding with this engine as it ages will be well know. It's not a strange engine and therefore should keep costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I managed to get a brirf spin in one. I wasn't going fast enough to explore the limits of handling (I was travelling at normal speeds) but it was "acceptable". I thought it was bouncy and rolled a lot but it was the first pretend SUV I've driven so can only compare to a car rather than competition. I didn't find any real vices or peculiarities with the handling. Thus it is acceptable.

Performance was rather flat. There was no " kick" from the engine. I wasn't expecting earth shattering accellleration but my 1.3 vintage car felt quicker. Overtaking would require preplanning. Thus for daily A to B travel it will get you there, eventually, but it would be torture for me.

Interior reminded me of early 90's Korean cars. Functional but hard, noisy and uncomfortable. The seats were impossible for me to get a proper driving position. All the controls felt numb and lifeless. I imagine it would be hard wearing inside so that might suit some people.

Overall, would I buy one, never as it was too flat and uncomfortable but I can see the attraction that they would have for somebody looking for transport. Would I take a new one over a 2 or 3 year old Skoda if I was spending my own money, I'd take the Skoda.

The long term problem is that the parent group (Renault) doesn't have a luxury brand for a halo effect. The brand can't move upmarket as it would encroach on Renault products. Unless Renault move upmarket Dacia will be stuck where it is. Renault moving upmarket will be difficult with BMW, Audi and Merc having models starting at €25k. Renault's image in that market is also a problem.

Are you being abusive?

Because if you are, please try harder...lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Are you being abusive?

Because if you are, please try harder...lol

OK.
    Enjoy all the free time you have in your shop because people go out and buy Dusters. :P
    That would explain A: the resentment you have for them and everyone who owns one and B: the amount of free time you seem to have to come here and insult the Duster and everyone who drives one. :cool:
    The law of Karma states that is doesn't matter if you put energy for or against something, that energy will go towards that thing.
    So you may say "hape a' sh*te, blah, blah, blah, useless, blah, blah, owners are idiots, etc...", all people see is you saying Duster! Duster! Duster! and think, hhmhh, may be worth checking out.
    So in a way, by putting all your energy into Duster bashing, all you have done is given it exposure and made people curios. It's a bit like the Ian Paisly principle. By shouting No! No! No!, you are giving power to the other side.
    Dacia owes you commission by now.

• Advertisement

Cool dr.fuz.....lets up the commission so ..

Duster, duster, duster, rusty duster, buster, buster, duster.....

Btw...you post some oul horsemanure you know that....

Talk sense man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

This thread is decisive by design:

"Car enthusiasts" aren't going to like the Dacia since its simple A-B functional motoring. Totally understandable in a motors forum.

On the other hand, those who buy them are looking for exactly that: cheap, functional motoring. Totally understandable in the current economic environment.

For this thread to have any positive use, leave the thread to those who own the cars (or plan to) so they can benefit from shared experiences.

Simply calling people tight/boring/niave for owning ANY car isn't nice. If we all had the same tastes in cars, this forum (and motoring in general), would be pretty boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Anyone putting up big miles on their duster?

70,500 km done and no complaints yet. Running as it did on day 1.

This thread is decisive by design:

"Car enthusiasts" aren't going to like the Dacia since its simple A-B functional motoring. Totally understandable in a motors forum.

On the other hand, those who buy them are looking for exactly that: cheap, functional motoring. Totally understandable in the current economic environment.

For this thread to have any positive use, leave the thread to those who own the cars (or plan to) so they can benefit from shared experiences.

Simply calling people tight/boring/niave for owning ANY car isn't nice. If we all had the same tastes in cars, this forum (and motoring in general), would be pretty boring.
    Bravo well said, Some of us Duster owners actually like our cars and it does'nt matter what other people think, live and let live.

tf2 wrote: »
    Anyone putting up big miles on their duster?

70,500 km done and no complaints yet. Rusting as it did on day 1.

Fyp

Bravo well said, Some of us Duster owners actually like our cars and it does'nt matter what other people think, live and let live.

No! How dare you!
    You drive a car that some people do not approve of, what the hell where you thinking?
    You bought a car that is functional and cheap, don'y you know that you should drive something that is expensive, German, breaks a lot and costing you thousands more in maintenance and running costs?
    Do you know what that does to some of the people here?
    Because your car does not have the right badge, a V16 turbo-charged engine or costs at least twice as much, these people are waking up screaming and drenched in sweat at 3am.
    So you are to blame for buying something that is no nonsense, no badge prestige, no show off potential down the pub (or at least not for reasons approved off here) and simply functions to bring you from A to B, you made some petrol heads cry into their pints. ;)
    There are many cars for many purposes, show off how much you make, the right badge for the prestige, the tuned engine to win at the traffic light GP, purely penis extension or, in your case, none of the above and I believe there is room for that on this motoring forum.

• Advertisement

No! How dare you!
    You drive a car that some people do not approve of, what the hell where you thinking?
    You bought a car that is functional and cheap, don'y you know that you should drive something that is expensive, German, breaks a lot and costing you thousands more in maintenance and running costs?
    Do you know what that does to some of the people here?
    Because your car does not have the right badge, a V16 turbo-charged engine or costs at least twice as much, these people are waking up screaming and drenched in sweat at 3am.
    So you are to blame for buying something that is no nonsense, no badge prestige, no show off potential down the pub (or at least not for reasons approved off here) and simply functions to bring you from A to B, you made some petrol heads cry into their pints. ;)
    There are many cars for many purposes, show off how much you make, the right badge for the prestige, the tuned engine to win at the traffic light GP, purely penis extension or, in your case, none of the above and I believe there is room for that on this motoring forum.

Well dr.fuzzenstein Amen to that, you at least understand why people like myself and others like the simplicity and reliability of the Duster, no frills just common sense motoring.

Well dr.fuzzenstein Amen to that, you at least understand why people like myself and others like the simplicity and reliability of the Duster, no frills just common sense motoring.

I think it has a place, the same as the Beetle, Renault 4, Lada Niva and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think it has a place, the same as the Beetle, Renault 4, Lada Niva and so forth.

Scrap yards? ;)

Just joking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Another positive for the dusters is they are helping fight childhood obesity! ain't no child wanting dropped to the school gates in one of those yokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Fyp

I see what you did there. You're awful funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

gallag wrote: »
    Another positive for the dusters is they are helping fight childhood obesity! ain't no child wanting dropped to the school gates in one of those yokes!

You must be very proud of your kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

I really don't get the Duster hate.
    I wouldn't buy one myself (I like high tech stuff too much) but this car is really spot on for what it intends to be, cheap reliable no fuss no bling motoring.
    Besides the rust issues, there doesn't seem to be much to blame regarding the reliability of this car (around 2500 units have been sold here, that should be a good sample), and it has proved itself reliable on mainland.
    As for depreciation, I think Duster buyers are actually making the good move. Have a look at 2013 Dusters for sale. The cheapest Irish reg one is a silver base one at 13.800€, with 50k on the clock. That car was 16K OTR. I don't call it massive depreciation. To be honest, there are not many for sale, and maybe that's because owners actually like these cars ?

Next question to Duster drivers would be : Are you satisfied and if in the market for a second car, would you buy a Sandero ?
    I wonder if the brand could become the next Skoda ?

Lutecia wrote: »
    I

Have you driven one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have you driven one?

Are they really that bloody awful? I'm tempted to take a test-drive in one, for the shíts-'n'-giggles like! :pac:

I have to be careful here what i say about these yokes, as im being monitored by an over zelous mod who is like those individuals that the moment they put a hiviz vest on, they feel the power....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have to be careful here what i say about these yokes, as im being monitored by an over zelous mod who is like those individuals that the moment they put a hiviz vest on, they feel the power....lol

Not really, Im more getting lols out of your posts.

It was hilarious actually when another poster compared your posts to Ian Paisley. But equally frightening that someone would have that much venom and hatred for a car to bother posting about it in a thread everytime someone enters a new post on it.

Question, Do you enjoy being compared to a young / middle aged Paisley?
    it must be alot of work.

You do know he mellowed out later in life and you know, let people just get on with it and stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

You must be very proud of your kids

listen, you can say whatever you want about my kids, hell you can even do it while shagging my wife but if you ever insinuate I drive a ****ing duster again I will ****ing hunt you down and **** your **** up!!! you crossed a line buddy! !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Lutecia wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy one myself (I like high tech stuff too much) but this car is really spot on for what it intends to be, cheap reliable no fuss no bling motoring.
    Besides the rust issues, there doesn't seem to be much to blame regarding the reliability of this car (around 2500 units have been sold here, that should be a good sample), and it has proved itself reliable on mainland.
    As for depreciation, I think Duster buyers are actually making the good move. Have a look at 2013 Dusters for sale. The cheapest Irish reg one is a silver base one at 13.800€, with 50k on the clock. That car was 16K OTR. I don't call it massive depreciation. To be honest, there are not many for sale, and maybe that's because owners actually like these cars ?

Next question to Duster drivers would be : Are you satisfied and if in the market for a second car, would you buy a Sandero ?
    I wonder if the brand could become the next Skoda ?

You say that like it's a minor problem :p

Rust on a brand new car is inexcusable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can only assume this is aimed by me. You were banned (again) because you dug this thread up (again) with the sole purpose of winding Dacia owners up (again) and generally being a troll. Given how little value you add to the forum otherwise, the next ban will be permanent.
    I would normally have sent this via PM but seeing as you're being all open about things, this is where you stand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement