Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You say that like it's a minor problem :p

Rust on a brand new car is inexcusable imo.

Yeah I was thinkin the exact same thing. Mental problem to have on a brand new car.

I still reckon the Logan is the best choice of the models available. Bigger than the Sandero and more practical than the fake jeep Duster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can only assume this is aimed by me. You were banned (again) because you dug this thread up (again) with the sole purpose of winding Dacia owners up (again) and generally being a troll. Given how little value you add to the forum otherwise, the next ban will be permanent.
    I would normally have sent this via PM but seeing as you're being all open about things, this is where you stand.

I think you'll find, if you look back, that i didnt dig this thread back up. At least get your facts right...and threats (for not doing anything really) are not becoming of you as a mod either....you can pm me if you like for the same token

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm not too worried either way, those who get it will buy one and I for one am tempted.
    But on the other hand I might spend the money on a second hand Yeti, but I have worries about the VW parts bin.
    Say what you want about Renault and their niggly little problems, but that is nothing compared to VW engines going Kaboom on a regular basis.
    Glad I drive a Ford...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I'm not too worried either way, those who get it will buy one and I for one am tempted.
    But on the other hand I might spend the money on a second hand Yeti, but I have worries about the VW parts bin.
    Say what you want about Renault and their niggly little problems, but that is nothing compared to VW engines going Kaboom on a regular basis.
    Glad I drive a Ford...

Ditto on the vw, imho reliability is not what it used to be and when sonehting goes wrong it's bloody pricy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

Yeah I was thinkin the exact same thing. Mental problem to have on a brand new car.

I still reckon the Logan is the best choice of the models available. Bigger than the Sandero and more practical than the fake jeep Duster.

What is it with the "fake jeep" bit? There is nothing jeeplike about the Duster it is a crossover/hatch in the same vein as ford ecosport/suzuki s cross only cheaper. Some Dusters have a rust problem alright but not all of them, right hand drive Dusters have switched production from India to Romania where quality control is much better, any Indian built Dusters with rust should be rectified under warranty. I have checked my own Duster from top to bottom and no rust is visible anywhere, no problems with any other part of the car except the wipers which are abysmal but new bosch ones fitted by me are way better, that is the only hiccup since I got it in February and have now clocked up 11,000 kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

newfranko wrote: »
    What is it with the "fake jeep" bit? There is nothing jeeplike about the Duster it is a crossover/hatch in the same vein as ford ecosport/suzuki s cross only cheaper. Some Dusters have a rust problem alright but not all of them, right hand drive Dusters have switched production from India to Romania where quality control is much better, any Indian built Dusters with rust should be rectified under warranty. I have checked my own Duster from top to bottom and no rust is visible anywhere, no problems with any other part of the car except the wipers which are abysmal but new bosch ones fitted by me are way better, that is the only hiccup since I got it in February and have now clocked up 11,000 kms.

I agree it's not a jeep but it does get called that by many people. Most of them being 2wheel drive is the issue. Hence why I refer to it as a fake jeep. Fake jeep/crossover, same difference.

I hear what your saying on the change of production but how in the name of God does it happen even on a few new cars.

I can see the appeal of it for people and good luck to them.

As another poster said it'd be a boring world if we all wanted the same car.

If I had to buy a Dacia I'd go for the Logan with the signature spec to gain some level of modern comfort/technology.

I agree it's not a jeep but it does get called that by many people. Most of them being 2wheel drive is the issue. Hence why I refer to it as a fake jeep. Fake jeep/crossover, same difference.

I hear what your saying on the change of production but how in the name of God does it happen even on a few new cars.

I can see the appeal of it for people and good luck to them.

As another poster said it'd be a boring world if we all wanted the same car.

If I had to buy a Dacia I'd go for the Logan with the signature spec to gain some level of modern comfort/technology.
    I believe the cause of the rusty Dusters is down to two things, first the demand for these cars was large and waiting times for delivery meant that the Chennai plant in India were working round the clock to meet demand, this I believe was the reason for poor quality control, secondly the paint on these cars seems very thin to the point they skipped painting on some parts of the car and worse still quality control letting it go. Dusters arriving from India to the port in Tyneside in the UK were being scrutinised by Dacia before letting them go on to the dealer further adding to the delay for fed up customers. It seems that even then cars ended up getting through to the customer uncorrected, shame on Dacia for letting this happen and destroying any faith the customer had in their cars. Although Dacia has owned up to this it is'nt much comfort for those who got a rusty Duster. Lets hope those people get their cars properly repaired under warranty but I doubt they will ever buy another. A shame after paying good money for what should have been a good car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I believe the cause of the rusty Dusters is down to two things, first the demand for these cars was large and waiting times for delivery meant that the Chennai plant in India were working round the clock to meet demand, this I believe was the reason for poor quality control, secondly the paint on these cars seems very thin to the point they skipped painting on some parts of the car and worse still quality control letting it go. Dusters arriving from India to the port in Tyneside in the UK were being scrutinised by Dacia before letting them go on to the dealer further adding to the delay for fed up customers. It seems that even then cars ended up getting through to the customer uncorrected, shame on Dacia for letting this happen and destroying any faith the customer had in their cars. Although Dacia has owned up to this it is'nt much comfort for those who got a rusty Duster. Lets hope those people get their cars properly repaired under warranty but I doubt they will ever buy another. A shame after paying good money for what should have been a good car.
    It's down to the build quality in India. A friend in Nissan Sunderland told me similar stories ages ago about the Micra. Serious quality issues being rectified during PDI's. Similar with the Pixo.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's down to the build quality in India. A friend in Nissan Sunderland told me similar stories ages ago about the Micra. Serious quality issues being rectified during PDI's. Similar with the Pixo.

Strangely enough the new Ford Ecosport is being built in Chennai. Only time will tell if they are of good build quality, but from what I have seen of them in showrooms they are vastly superior to that of the Duster. Ford surely would'nt risk their reptutation on poor build quality whereas that of the Duster somehow does'nt carry the same mojo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Why is there so damn many of these yokes on the road? State of them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Its the ALDI/LIDL syndrome.....looks well,cheap as ****e, que up to buy it,and throw it in the bin after 3/4 years :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Good value for money!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/dacia/duster/road-test/duster-1.5-dci-110-4x4-ambiance-5d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rental companies regg'd heaps of them too. Wonder how much discount they got and how long they'll keep them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

How many of the 2013-14 Dachias are affected by the paint issue ?

It's such a pity Dachia got this wrong, they were offering a badly needed, low technology, no frills, great value, functional car, something that I have always been very much in favour of.

And a well cared for used one, could have made a great value used buy as well.

I'll be steering clear now.

Seems to be good deals on the influence again, surely a better buy ?

• Advertisement

Vinnie L wrote: »
    How many of the 2013-14 Dachias are affected by the paint issue ?

It's such a pity Dachia got this wrong, they were offering a badly needed, low technology, no frills, great value, functional car, something that I have always been very much in favour of.

And a well cared for used one, could have made a great value used buy as well.

I'll be steering clear now.
    Not all the Dusters are affected as quality control was improved when the problem was highlighted, early 2013/14 cars should be well checked out before buying. Metallic painted cars seem to be better than standard painted versions but as with any car check thoroughly the paint as well as the mechanics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Not all the Dusters are affected as quality control was improved when the problem was highlighted, early 2013/14 cars should be well checked out before buying. Metallic painted cars seem to be better than standard painted versions but as with any car check thoroughly the paint as well as the mechanics.

I get all cars checked out, but how does anyone measure paint thickness on hidden or hard to access structural members ? That's not practical on any car.
    So if it's a known fault, I think I'll take my chances elsewhere thanks.

Vinnie L wrote: »
    I get all cars checked out, but how does anyone measure paint thickness on hidden or hard to access structural members ? That's not practical on any car.
    So if it's a known fault, I think I'll take my chances elsewhere thanks.

Good point, perhaps the Romanian built Dusters when they finally get here will be of better quality. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have one of these on a loaner today while my car is in the garage. Coming from an bmw e60 525 its a weird one. Definitely more comfortable I found as my mines an msport and on runflats. Diesel engine not bad for a 1.5 and in fairness theres a tonne of space in it. Horrible plastic dash with plastic arms along the door that squeak plus wind noise at 120kph and above. Very basic inside but in fairness it seems rock solid and is pretty big.
    Worth 16k..., I believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Oh no, this treads back:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

They must have seriously sh!t roof proofing underneath. I pulled up behind a 141 one at traffic lights a few weeks ago and there was very heavy surface rusting starting on the exhaust and the lower control arm even had a little rust starting. Nothing major really but for a 6 month old car or whatever I though the exhaust looked bad enough.

I think as a car they made some sense to buy at 15k euro but haven't they gone up in price a good bit since. If that's the case I really can't see the point of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Bpmull wrote: »
    They must have seriously sh!t roof proofing underneath. I pulled up behind a 141 one at traffic lights a few weeks ago and there was very heavy surface rusting starting on the exhaust and the lower control arm even had a little rust starting. Nothing major really but for a 6 month old car or whatever I though the exhaust looked bad enough.

I think as a car they made some sense to buy at 15k euro but haven't they gone up in price a good bit since. If that's the case I really can't see the point of them.

I seen similar on a141 also looks very bad for showroom fresh car!! I think id keep my 15k and buy something 5yrs older and a dam sight better built and specd,

bottom line not a fan at ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

imurdaddy wrote: »
    I seen similar on a141 also looks very bad for showroom fresh car!! I think id keep my 15k and buy something 5yrs older and a dam sight better built and specd,

bottom line not a fan at ALL

After driving it again this morning cant wait to get my car back.
    If I was buying a new car I'd prefer to grt a 2-3 year old yeti or similar csr rather than one of these. Just too basic for my taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Noticed that all right , But also noticed same on new Renault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Oh no, this treads back:(

What treads back where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Like a bad penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

They have gone up 1000€ after the introductory price (2012), but no increase in 2014, and just 300€ for 151.
    However, the resale value is really high, check the cheapest you can find on carzone/donedeal : it means it is seriously wanted as second hand. I find 14K for a second hand that is almost 2 years old quite expensive. That said, this must push people for getting a new one.
    And the ones who have bought a 131 went for very cheap motoring for these 2 years for a car under warranty, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could also be that there are so few second hand that dealers are chancing their arms second hand and have traded them in for much less.

Just got a straight deal price for 151 New Model Dacia Signature including Metallic Paint & Delivery for €19,310 .. Still a good deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

galait wrote: »
    Just got a straight deal price for 151 New Model Dacia Signature including Metallic Paint & Delivery for €19,310 .. Still a good deal ?

Look at how much better a car you could buy in the 1-3 year old bracket for that money.
    Should answer your question ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Ehh No:confused::confused:

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Ehh No:confused::confused:
    My sentiments exactly tbh

OK so guys I have 20k cash and looking for a crossover , So Instead of a new Duster give me some examples of better alternatives for the same budget

OK so guys I have 20k cash and looking for a crossover , So Instead of a new Duster give me some examples of better alternatives for the same budget

You might get this close on your budget with a little haggling.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Yeti/1.6-TDI-/90714123680997500/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You might get this close on your budget with a little haggling.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Yeti/1.6-TDI-/90714123680997500/advert?channel=CARS

Whatever the thoughts on the Duster.

The Yeti is a disgustingly ugly little car. Awful.

Look at how much better a car you could buy in the 1-3 year old bracket for that money.
    Should answer your question ;)

Show me a few examples so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

listermint wrote: »

Eye of the beholder etc.

Its about similar to the Duster in terms of looks, if a little better.

Its also a much better car to drive & the quality is superior.

People will find it hard to post an example of a similar car with it's full manufacturers warranty left.

I don't think they are a bad bus for someone who requires a new family hold all and doesn't have a requirement for a badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As well as a couple of valiant examples given above, that budget should bag a 2012, possibly early 2013, Qashqai or Sportage. Has to be better than publicly announcing "I am a pathological tight-arse who knows nothing about cars!!" as you drive around. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    As well as a couple of valiant examples given above, that budget should bag a 2012, possibly early 2013, Qashqai or Sportage. has to be better than publicly announcing "I am a pathological tight-arse who knows nothing about cars!!" as you drive around. :pac::pac::pac:

Qashqai is very similar to the Dacia in terms of engines and electronics. It's also outside of it's warranty. I like the Spurtage but it' s got a limited warranty and some stories about the long term reliability of Kia/Hyundai at the minute is off putting.

A tight arse can also be know as a "rich cute whoare"

Well they will sell 151 numberplates in motor factors for a tenner, so that's essentially the same thing. Saving nearly 100% ;)

I think a yeti would be a good choice even if it is secondhand compared to a new duster. I know the yeti isn't a looker but it can't be any worse than a duster. I just don't think the duster is going to last by the looks of it the could well be badly rusted underneath by the time there 3-4 years old. The first ones to get Nct's at 4 years old will prove how good or bad they are. Another issue especially if you have kids is the 3 star Ncap safety rating. On a 2015 car it's just not good enough.

I think a yeti would be a good choice even if it is secondhand compared to a new duster. I know the yeti isn't a looker but it can't be any worse than a duster. I just don't think the duster is going to last by the looks of it the could well be badly rusted underneath by the time there 3-4 years old. The first ones to get Nct's at 4 years old will prove how good or bad they are. Another issue especially if you have kids is the 3 star Ncap safety rating. On a 2015 car it's just not good enough.

I read somehere the poor NCAP rating was due to no sensor on safety belts to warn that they were not on

I'd agree with you completely there, it sure ain't pretty but the rest of the package is decent, certainly better than the Dacia in all bar new car warranty.

I read somehere the poor NCAP rating was due to no sensor on safety belts to warn that they were not on

I thought it was more to do with poor performance in the crash testing I didn't really look into it but I doubt the lack of a safety belt warning was the sole reason for 3 stars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Drove one, they are fabulous, very comfy, would definitely have one.
    But not the wheezy, underpowered 1.2. it will be very popular with the underpowered milk-carton-engine fanbois, though.

Drove one, they are fabulous, very comfy, would definitely have one.
    But not the wheezy, underpowered 1.2. it will be very popular with the underpowered milk-carton-engine fanbois, though.

It's not underpowered but I'm not taking the bait this time.

If you're not doing much mileage I recommend the 1.2TSI. WE have one in the family and it's not at all underpowered.

Having bought a new Duster Signature in February this year the on road price was 19,150 euro, I bought an ex-demo at 18,500 euro, however this did not include another 330 euro for a spare wheel kit as 2 wheel drive models only come with an inflation kit. 151 cars now come with cruise control a new dash and are built in Romania so quality control should be ok. The 2 extra years warranty costs 549 euro so still within 20 grand. As I actually own a Duster I can tell you they are a good car but you get what you pay for ie. a bit basic inside and no soft plastics. Resale prices are good but I bought mine to keep long term, after 15000 kms car is going perfect and soon due for 1st service, have a look around and if you can see another new crossover for this money let me know but I doubt it. Lots of non Duster owners on here that have no experience of them so they say buy second hand but you pays your money and takes your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Passed a white 141 reg and the rear quarter panel was showing rust it look like little spots of rust bubbling through the paint.

Only car I seen do this was datsun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nope, that's not the reason. More like the marginal protection for front seat occupants, especially the driver, in frontal and pole tests, and perhaps the lack of ESC.
    http://www.euroncap.com/results/dacia/duster/2011/421.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement