Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

visual wrote: »
    Only car I seen do this was datsun

Ironically enough they also plan to sell the Duster as a Datsun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's not underpowered but I'm not taking the bait this time.

If you're not doing much mileage I recommend the 1.2TSI. WE have one in the family and it's not at all underpowered.

I've driven it and it is, was glad to be back in my cmax, engine wise at least.
    It's a question of perspective, if you've only ever been served thimbles, a half pint will look massive.
    Mine is a 1.8 tdci, 115 bhp, which doesn't sound much, but it has a nice bit of torque and I don't care what anyone says, you will not get low down grunt out of a tiny, overblown engine, its a question of simple physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It's a question of perspective, if you've only ever been served thimbles, a half pint will look massive.
    Mine is a 1.8 tdci, 115 bhp, which doesn't sound much, but it has a nice bit of torque and I don't care what anyone says, you will not get low down grunt out of a tiny, overblown engine, its a question of simple physics.
    My daily is a 150bhp Alfa if you want to go that road.

The Yeti isn't stuck for grunt.

Ever driven a Duster Fuzz?

My daily is a 150bhp Alfa if you want to go that road.

The Yeti isn't stuck for grunt.

Ever driven a Duster Fuzz?

The two vehicles I have for reference is a 1.2 Yeti and a 1.8 tdci cmax 115 ps. I liked the Yeti a lot, but didn't like the engine. That seems to irritate you hugely for some reason and you are trying to change my own experience by arguing about it. Unless you are me, have driven both cars and have had a different experience, you can't change my mind.
    Ever driven a 1.8 tdci ford?
    I totally get that you disagree and seem to know my own memories better than I do, but that won't change my actual experiences. Unless there is a difference in the engine between your 1.2 and the one I drove, which to me felt a bit strangled and had to labor in some situations to get the car up to speed, especially on the autobahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Is the 800bhp the F1 teams have got from their "tiny" 1.5 litre "overblown" engines nothing to do with simple physics then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

shabalala wrote: »
    Is the 800bhp the F1 teams have got from their "tiny" 1.5 litre "overblown" engines nothing to do with simple physics then???

800BHP turbocharged at 15,000 RPM is the diametric opposite of the "low down grunt" Dr. Fuzz is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

jimgoose wrote: »
    800BHP turbocharged at 15,000 RPM is the diametric opposite of the "low down grunt" Dr. Fuzz is talking about.

So F1 cars are very slow at low revs? lack in torque?

So F1 cars are very slow at low revs? lack in torque?

Oh Crikey yes. They don't even work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

1.6 ;)
    and they are v6 engines, designed to do less than 2-4k kilometers at best.
    Also, they have a 160 bhp battery powered engine.

And cost millions. Sorry to burst your bubble but your little datsun aint no f1 car.

1.6 ;)
    and they are v6 engines, designed to do less than 2-4k kilometers at best.
    Also, they have a 160 bhp battery powered engine.

And cost millions. Sorry to burst your bubble but your little datsun aint no f1 car.

Remember the 1,500 BHP BMW Brabham from the '60s?

• Advertisement

Remember the 1,500 BHP BMW Brabham from the '60s?

I'm 28 so no :P

I'm 28 so no :P

<Shakes blackthorn shtick violently while mumbling something or other> :D

<Shakes blackthorn shtick violently while mumbling something or other> :D

arah sure I was only extracting the urine.
    I've seen them on classic f1 on skysports f1.

That era from the late 60's to the late 80's with turbos and boost and millions of cars on the grid was something else.

it will be very popular with the underpowered milk-carton-engine fanbois, though.
    I totally get that you disagree and seem to know my own memories better than I do, but that won't change my actual experiences.

I'll start with this above. If you start with an insult expect to be called on it. You contradict yourself in the third quote. I'm not trying to change your experience, I simply posted a reply that your massive sweeping generalisation statement in the original post (not the one above I have to go find it) wasn't everyone's experience.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm offering an alternative which you've argued with me on several occasion and tried to rubbish, again with generalisations that it isn't a big enough engine for the Yeti among other arguments.

As for timbles and glasses, size no longer has as much relevance.
    That seems to irritate you hugely for some reason and you are trying to change my own experience by arguing about it. Unless you are me, have driven both cars and have had a different experience, you can't change my mind.
    I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm giving an alternative view. Whenever I give it you seems to sulk. In this case you (for some made reason) decide you'll bring a car with an old generation diesel engine into an argument about a modern generation small capacity petrol engine. It's comparing chalk and cheese. If you had a 1.6l petrol CMax you're opinion would be far more relevance. But as you can only compare between the two you've mentioned it's not a very wide base for comparison, and not relative for that matter.
    Ever driven a 1.8 tdci ford?
    Yes, multiple times. In a 2004 Focus, 2007 Mondeo and a S-Max (I think, it was a rental)
    I totally get that you disagree and seem to know my own memories better than I do, but that won't change my actual experiences.
    I'm not trying to. I'm offering an alternative view.
    Unless there is a difference in the engine between your 1.2 and the one I drove, which to me felt a bit strangled and had to labor in some situations to get the car up to speed, especially on the autobahn.
    I've suggested this before and you categorically denied there was.

Anyway, have you driven a Duster?

EDIT: As for posting about F1 engines, not aimed at you Fuzz, catch a bloody grip that's of no relevance what so ever in a thread about Dusters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Bpmull wrote: »
    I think a yeti would be a good choice even if it is secondhand compared to a new duster. I know the yeti isn't a looker but it can't be any worse than a duster. I just don't think the duster is going to last by the looks of it the could well be badly rusted underneath by the time there 3-4 years old. The first ones to get Nct's at 4 years old will prove how good or bad they are. Another issue especially if you have kids is the 3 star Ncap safety rating. On a 2015 car it's just not good enough.
    http://www.citroen.ie/new-cars-and-vans/car-range/c4-cactus.html

mikehn wrote: »
    I like them but I don't know about the longevity of the side plastic mouldings tbh. I reckon they'll split in time and leak water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Qashqai is very similar to the Dacia in terms of engines and electronics. It's also outside of it's warranty. I like the Spurtage but it' s got a limited warranty and some stories about the long term reliability of Kia/Hyundai at the minute is off putting.

A tight arse can also be know as a "rich cute whoare"

Care to elaborate?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?
    Muppetcheck's father hasn't had a great experience. From what I remember they are now sorry they bought it.

A friend has a Carens and it's had a lot of electrical work. Another has been complaining of engine trouble on his i40 but he didn't specify what it was. A friend in the trade has also expressed dissatisfaction with the 1.7 in the i40.

I'll add to that my sister has an ix35 and it's been faultless.

I'll start with this above. If you start with an insult expect to be called on it. You contradict yourself in the third quote. I'm not trying to change your experience, I simply posted a reply that your massive sweeping generalisation statement in the original post (not the one above I have to go find it) wasn't everyone's experience.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm offering an alternative which you've argued with me on several occasion and tried to rubbish, again with generalisations that it isn't a big enough engine for the Yeti among other arguments.

As for timbles and glasses, size no longer has as much relevance.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm giving an alternative view. Whenever I give it you seems to sulk. In this case you (for some made reason) decide you'll bring a car with an old generation diesel engine into an argument about a modern generation small capacity petrol engine. It's comparing chalk and cheese. If you had a 1.6l petrol CMax you're opinion would be far more relevance. But as you can only compare between the two you've mentioned it's not a very wide base for comparison, and not relative for that matter.

Yes, multiple times. In a 2004 Focus, 2007 Mondeo and a S-Max (I think, it was a rental)

I'm not trying to. I'm offering an alternative view.

I've suggested this before and you categorically denied there was.

Anyway, have you driven a Duster?

EDIT: As for posting about F1 engines, not aimed at you Fuzz, catch a bloody grip that's of no relevance what so ever in a thread about Dusters

Don't mind arguing with you, could do it all day long, you make a good argument even if we happen to differ, no worries.
    No, haven't driven a duster, we where just arguing off topic about the 1.2 Yeti, I drove it, thought it was ok, but was not upset about getting back into my cmax, hence the chalk and cheese comparison.

• Advertisement

Don't mind arguing with you, could do it all day long, you make a good argument even if we happen to differ, no worries.
    No, haven't driven a duster, we where just arguing off topic about the 1.2 Yeti, I drove it, thought it was ok, but was not upset about getting back into my cmax, hence the chalk and cheese comparison.

Apologies, a lot of stuff going on the past few days and didn't mean to jump down your throat. :)

You'll find offputting stories about every model & brand, plenty in here to put one off dacia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

We got in some of the Romanian-built Duster face-lifts, have to say they look a heck of a lot better ! Interior in the Signature model is far more plush, and the black headlights bring it up to date. ESP is now standard too, and hill-start assist as well as well as the ECO drive function.
    Will the face lift re-invent the wheel? No, but it does help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Saw these in the local Renault dealer while looking for something else.
    They do have showroom appeal. Nice big lumps of cars and in the showroom you can't appreciate their shortcomings such as poor handling, road noise, poor fuel consumption, etc....
    The Sandero looks like a nice lump of a car in comparission to a Clio when you see them near each other in the showroom. When you look at the sticker price you are left wondering exactly what extra are you getting for the Clio which is near twice the price in showroom spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

There is a large swathe of the Irish public that is simply obsessed with getting the perceived best deal possible. Enter Dacia. You are getting cheap crossover style vehicle for thousands less than the competition. Watch Opel/Suzuki follow suit with cut-price alternatives..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was sat in one of the 2015 ones in Renault showroom, I was pleasantly surprised at the new quality. The door opening i know VW golf are at pains to go on about. The New Duster has the same 'feel' to the open and close.

Interior is up to standard with anything ive seen from the continent of late.

Didnt drive one however. But have to say they have done a good job with the updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't know why people think the Duster is slow or underpowered. I saw one recently that had a Nurburgring sticker on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

blackbox wrote: »
    I don't know why people think the Duster is slow or underpowered. I saw one recently that had a Nurburgring sticker on the back of it.

I think you saw this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

galait wrote: »
    Just got a straight deal price for 151 New Model Dacia Signature including Metallic Paint & Delivery for €19,310 .. Still a good deal ?

Considering the pricelist is 18190+520+600= 19310, you got yourself a nice discount of 0% :D
    http://www.dacia.ie/media/att00143243/2014-12-dacia-price-list.pdf

That said, I just realized that's the facelifted model. Maybe some good deals to get on the prefacelift models in stock?

Lutecia wrote: »
    Considering the pricelist is 18190+520+600= 19310, you got yourself a nice discount of 0% :D
    http://www.dacia.ie/media/att00143243/2014-12-dacia-price-list.pdf

That said, I just realized that's the facelifted model. Maybe some good deals to get on the prefacelift models in stock?

They don't do discounts, or at the very least when the Duster was introduced the discount allowable was tiny, 4% on the lower trim level and 5% on the higehr trim level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Feliz Navidad !

Warmest Christmas Greetings from Spain.

Delighted to read that the Duster thread is still going strong , though perhaps not as strong as Duster sales !

Stay warm & have a wonderful Christmas.

Very sincerely

delthedriver:)

• Advertisement

As long as people keep digging it up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How are the Mokkas going del?

Feliz Navidad !

Warmest Christmas Greetings from Spain.

Delighted to read that the Duster thread is still going strong , though perhaps not as strong as Duster sales !

Stay warm & have a wonderful Christmas.

Very sincerely

delthedriver:)

Frohe Weihnachten from Ireland. Fcuking wet and fcuking cold here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Frohe Weihnachten from Ireland. Fcuking wet and fcuking cold here.

Are the sandero stepwsy any good

allibastor wrote: »

Haven't driven one but I've heard they're not worth the extra dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

A friend of mine has one it's a 1.5 turbo diesel 90hp, it has medianav, cruise control, esp and traction control along with a host of other goodies, after 18 months and 23,000 miles he still loves it and thinks it's great value for money. I should mention he lives in England where there is no registration tax which makes the car a lot cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

newfranko wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one it's a 1.5 turbo diesel 90hp, it has medianav, cruise control, esp and traction control along with a host of other goodies, after 18 months and 23,000 miles he still loves it and thinks it's great value for money. I should mention he lives in England where there is no registration tax which makes the car a lot cheaper!

Thanks for that.
    I test drove one here, it in brand new would cost 15590 in diesel model.
    I drove the regular sandero also, it seems much bigger on the inside .

It needs more power but I thought it was a good looking car for the money.

Thanks for that.
    I test drove one here, it in brand new would cost 15590 in diesel model.
    I drove the regular sandero also, it seems much bigger on the inside .

It needs more power but I thought it was a good looking car for the money.

My missus went for a test drive in a Stepway 900cc turbo petrol which is also 90hp, she thought it was a little flyer but the new Clio 1.5 turbo diesel was her final choice as she thought it was prettier !!

My missus went for a test drive in a Stepway 900cc turbo petrol which is also 90hp, she thought it was a little flyer but the new Clio 1.5 turbo diesel was her final choice as she thought it was prettier !!

900cc? Wow, that's less than a carton of milk and I presume if I put my dog in front of it to pull it, it would probably be faster. I guess it must be a tiny car. Do I need to buy two, one for each foot?
    Hate those tiny whizz-bang engines. 1 liter in a Mondeo wasn't puny enough. I think I might take the 35cc engine from my strimmer and put it in my Cmax.

900cc? Wow, that's less than a carton of milk and I presume if I put my dog in front of it to pull it, it would probably be faster. I guess it must be a tiny car. Do I need to buy two, one for each foot?
    Hate those tiny whizz-bang engines. 1 liter in a Mondeo wasn't puny enough. I think I might take the 35cc engine from my strimmer and put it in my Cmax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFSzMg5KyPU

• Advertisement

You have a point but F1 cars with 800cc engines are amazing too, I'd say the little Renault engines used in the Dacia and Renault would require a lot of gear changing and probably run out of grunt on motorways and hills especially when overtaking. Ok for town driving ??

The tce engine is a little cracker though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The tce engine is a little cracker though.

I'm hoping to take one for a spin on Saturday

I'm hoping to take one for a spin on Saturday

Let us know how you get on.

I will but I'll happily admit I think the Sandero is a step too far in terms of cheap from sitting into them before.

I think the Duster makes a better case for itself.

You have a point but F1 cars with 800cc engines are amazing too, I'd say the little Renault engines used in the Dacia and Renault would require a lot of gear changing and probably run out of grunt on motorways and hills especially when overtaking. Ok for town driving ??

F1 engines are 1.6 liters, but also have a KERS system.
    And I just read that tire heating devices will be outlawed next year. Wow. That's even stupider than the short-lived ban on tire changes. About 5 races with about 5 crashes each and that'll be the end of that insanity.
    It's like Bernie said "come up with a simple and completely idiotic way to make racing 10 times more dangerous." They might as well have introduced oil slicks on the track. F1 has become unwatchable idiocy.
    Put it this way, it used to be Black Sabbath, now it has turned into One Direction, neutered and sanitised.

Much livelier than a 1.2 16v engine. Certainly nicer to drive. I doubt it would be much good in anything heavy like a Megane.

Still think the Sandero is a cheap feeling car but the duster makes more sense. The Sabdero only makes sense if you are covering tiny mileage or a large amount that will render the car worthless

Just to add to that I think the TCE is the worst choice of the range. It's more expensive than a 1.2 and less economical than the dci.

It's in that **** area of it makes no sense use as its neither cheap not super economical.

Nothing wrong with the engine or how it drives but the DACIA is all about being frugal and the TCE is expensive to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

• Advertisement

I plan on winning the lotto.

Happy 2015 for me :D

Advertisement