Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is that the same company that makes the watches?

The watches where Russian Officer's watches. No idea who made them:

1.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I have a Zenith watch at home. I just didn't know they made camera too.

I'd love one of those watches above btw.

I've figured it out:
    Zenit = Camera
    Zenith = Watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The watches where Russian Officer's watches. No idea who made them:

Is the "Commander" model, made by the First Moscow Watch Factory?

jimgoose wrote: »

I've now started bidding on Russian watches on ebay. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

gallag wrote: »
    Yes mate, they are all just jelly of your duster. Face it mate, your on a motor forum full of enthusiasts so why the suprise that most think lowly of the duster which is at the end of the day a car built with the primary goal of being cheep and unspectacular.

Face it mate, there is a militant little bunch here who i suspect are in the trade and will take every opportunity to slant any custom for this Renault model. I think that much is pretty clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

listermint wrote: »
    Face it mate, there is a militant little bunch here who i suspect are in the trade and will take every opportunity to slant any custom for this Renault model. I think that much is pretty clear.

I think you'll find that the same nay Sayers were dishing Skodas a few years back, turns out they were wrong and Skoda has become a very acceptable choice of motor.

I'm not saying Dacias will have the same position as Skodas, just people shouldn't be too quick to dish a Brand that's not VW, Audi or Toyota.

I'm neither in the trade nor an owner, but I like to be open minded and accept things for their merits rather than just going along with the sheep in the flock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

_Brian wrote: »
    people shouldn't be too quick to dish a Brand that's not VW, Audi or Toyota.

I hate Toyota too, so I can dish Dacia all I want, right?

and actually, I don't hate Dacia, I think the Sandero is fair enough, it is specifically the Duster I hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The Willys Jeep of our time :D
    http://www.4tuning.ro/concept-car/dacia-duster-army-totul-despre-suv-ul-romanesc-de-razboi-21117.html
    duster_army_profil-Copy.jpg
    Non romainian speakers/google translate users can still enjoy all the pics :D

jimgoose wrote: »

No idea, just looks cool. :D

I've now started bidding on Russian watches on ebay. :o

Slippery slope right there! Cameras and uniforms are usually next. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

The Willys Jeep of our time :D
    http://www.4tuning.ro/concept-car/dacia-duster-army-totul-despre-suv-ul-romanesc-de-razboi-21117.html
    duster_army_profil-Copy.jpg
    Non romainian speakers/google translate users can still enjoy all the pics :D

I'm loving the Google Chrome translation:

ESSENTIAL In the future, Duster Army will be equipped with 20mm guns The machine has a platform remotely Teleoperator It works on versions with stronger armor.

After being seen and admired Parade December 1, the new creation of Dacia was finally tested in the field. It's Dacia Duster Army, a special model in collaboration with MND. The Duster has protection systems, night vision and a 7.62 mm caliber automatic machine gun. Army Dacia Duster Duster is a model specifically modified for military. It has some special accessories for operation in rough terrain, and features taken directly from the act. To cope with any off-road conditions, Warn winch is equipped with DDA, towing eyelets all over, Mud-Terrain tires Simex, protective underbody shields and a roll cage outside. Besides the Duster features that makes it a real off-road vehicle, and accessories are contributed by the Ministry of Defence. It is a machine gun 7.62 mm caliber automatic assault that was mounted on a metal platform , initially used on a tank of Land Forces equipment. The platform was improved but many aluminum parts, to give a low weight that does not affect the center of gravity of the car.

Bucharest Mechanical Plant engineers realized platform and a Romanian company dealt with the electronics. Machine gun platform which consists of support you phone equipped with electric motors that move the gun on 3 axes, weapons and armored compartment sighting systems. The machine gun is handled inside the machine by an operator who has available a joystick connected to a computer integrated touch screen. "Teleoperator platform is one of the five versions of the equipment. This version is one of aluminum, low birthweight, which allowed us to assemble Dacia vehicle type. Do not try to hide that further adapted to it horse arms team. 12.7 mm and 14.5 mm. We have a request from Romarm to adapt a platform for weapons Teleoperator cal. 20 mm. " says general manager of Bucharest Mechanical Plant, George John.

Complex electronic systems consists of observation in daylight, thermal camera and laser telemetry system . All these systems are connected to the computer operated puller. In addition, the car has and lighting systems with infra-red, Blackout mode when the headlights and taillights has covered factory and can be seen only by those endowed with special glasses. The Army is more Duster observation car at night, only one assault. Copy Duster Army has undergone field trials and firing cartridges maneuver, not to see some real precision sighting systems. Even so, it seems that in the future we will see some improved models army. It seems that Renault center in Titu working on some special armor kits for the Duster to be safer in real combat.

Currently, this project seems a good solution for border areas. Because the main advantage of this machine is power monitoring and observation at night, not power assault. But gun being used for purposes of intimidation to stop those who want to cross the border illegally or make traffic. But in real war like Afghanistan or Iraq fronts, the Duster would need more armor to cope with war conditions there. But since this is a first draft, we believe that in future we will see Romanian car adapted better to be a possible product worthy of consideration by the armed forces worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yeah, the best part of that translation is the claim that it doesn't affect centre of gravity...

I'd also love a Lada Niva. They are some bloody off roader. I'd love to stick an old, clattery diesel into one, too. Maybe a 1.6 Vw diesel. I can already hear Pavlovitch roaring, and Putin thanking me for getting him off the hook :D

Slippery slope right there! Cameras and uniforms are usually next. :p

I've been outbid. I doubt I'll push it any more

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/No-reserve-USSR-MENS-WATCH-Elektronika-5-RARE-LCD-USSR-Watch-/131481450208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

That looks good.
    When is this facelift to hit the streets ?
    Would really like to see one in the flesh.

Available now. Have seen a good few in 2015

I just couldn't stay away. I have a new CCCP watch on the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

gallag wrote: »
    Yes mate, they are all just jelly of your duster. Face it mate, your on a motor forum full of enthusiasts so why the suprise that most think lowly of the duster which is at the end of the day a car built with the primary goal of being cheep and unspectacular.
    Yes mate I am on a motor forum and one specifically for the Dacia Duster and clearly not all the "enthusiasts" share your opinion of the "cheep" and unspectacular Duster, if you don't like 'em thats your choice just don't diss those who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

newfranko wrote: »
    Yes mate I am on a motor forum and one specifically for the Dacia Duster and clearly not all the "enthusiasts" share your opinion of the "cheep" and unspectacular Duster, if you don't like 'em thats your choice just don't diss those who do.

I would probably be a big fan of Dacias, if it wasn't for the fact that they are made by Renault.

That's the only reason I wouldn't even consider them.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I would probably be a big fan of Dacias, if it wasn't for the fact that they are made by Renault.

That's the only reason I wouldn't even consider them.
    Nissan don't seem to mind, they are half Renault parts in them, would you buy a Qashqai ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I was looking at the new shapes in the dealers. I thought the Logan front end was very Toyota esque.

The Duster and the Qashqai have the same diesel engine and chassis AFAIK.

I'm secure enough in myself to be able to accept a Dacia for what it is, and even own one. Looks like lots aren't!
    Would have to drive one properly though. If there is indeed a bad reverb/NVH and if the gearshift is a bit dodge I would prob just get a used Megane estate instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The duster and the juke are related by platform (a stretched Renault B platform)
    That same platform was used on the tiida/nv200/old model note

I just couldn't stay away. I have a new CCCP watch on the way :cool:

Cool! Pics! Pics! :D
    Well that's that, your house will be awash with Soviet era stuff within the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Yeah, the best part of that translation is the claim that it doesn't affect centre of gravity...

I'd also love a Lada Niva. They are some bloody off roader. I'd love to stick an old, clattery diesel into one, too. Maybe a 1.6 Vw diesel. I can already hear Pavlovitch roaring, and Putin thanking me for getting him off the hook :D

Apparently the Fiat 1.9td is a handy swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

newfranko wrote: »
    Nissan don't seem to mind, they are half Renault parts in them, would you buy a Qashqai ?

Absolutely not a chance, nor would I have any of the Renault era Nissans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭a postere

How are the Irish dusters working out reliability wise ?

Was the thin paint issue sorted or are they rust prone ?

Just checked out the prices dealers are asking for 2 year old Dusters, crazy, almost as much as the brand new ones.

I thought we were told the depreciation would be horrendous on them ?

There's 194 white dusters regged so far this year and 443 last year. Think these are the most affected by bad paint?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

a postere wrote: »
    Just checked out the prices dealers are asking for 2 year old Dusters, crazy, almost as much as the brand new ones.

I thought we were told the depreciation would be horrendous on them ?

Asking and getting are two different matters , surely you're not so naive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That looks good.
    When is this facelift to hit the streets ?
    Would really like to see one in the flesh.

Parents are on their second one

Facelift looks good and also the paint is far better now.

Got the dacia stepway on order aswell. Hopefully it will be arriving at the end of may

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »
    Asking and getting are two different matters , surely you're not so naive?

Don't be a dick

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's 194 white dusters regged so far this year and 443 last year. Think these are the most affected by bad paint?

White is the one to avoid so, is the paint ok on the rest of them ?

Yeah. The paint job applied now is fine.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah. The paint job applied now is fine.

so if buying a used one, what years in white should be avoided ?

so if buying a used one, what years in white should be avoided ?

Can't tell you that info I'm afraid mate. Parent had a silver one with no trouble for 2 years and just a few months ago changed to the newer shape one. All good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I personally like the look of them. Would choose one over a Qashqai no problem

• Advertisement

I'd assume the Indian built ones have the paint issues and the later ones built in Romania don't?
    Cars built after August 2014 are said to have the paint issues resolved.

Plus they look horrid in white. Like a builder's van.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd assume the Indian built ones have the paint issues and the later ones built in Romania don't?
    Cars built after August 2014 are said to have the paint issues resolved.
    I have an Indian built Duster in metallic bronze with no sign of rust anywhere so perhaps the metallic painted cars are better protected against rust, if I had a choice I would take the Romanian built Duster any day over the Indian model they have got it right this time.

How do you tell Indian built from Romanian ?

- I take it its chassis no. , what numbers distinguish the Indian built ones ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If it isn't rusty yet, it's probably Romanian.

• Advertisement

If it isn't rusty yet, it's probably Romanian.

I rather check the origin properly than take that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

I might be wrong, but doesn't the change of production location match the (slight) facelift ?

All phase 2 Dusters i.e. face lift models are Romanian built. The earlier phase 1 models are all Indian built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ask it a question, Make sure you use the correct dialect though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

I sold my duster after nearly 2.5 years. Overall impression - terrific A to B vehicle. Reliable and affordable.

tf2 wrote: »
    I sold my duster after nearly 2.5 years. Overall impression - terrific A to B vehicle. Reliable and affordable.

Replaced with another duster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

No I didn't go for another one. Nothing against the Duster at all - I don't have the need for two cars at the moment. Wouldn't rule one out down the road though.

But! But! You're wrong! How about all those people who never owned one telling us so? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The big question is, what did you get for it?

Tuppence, like most posters on this thread expect, or a decent amount meaning little depreciation which is what I'd think?

R.O.R wrote: »
    The big question is, what did you get for it?

Tuppence, like most posters on this thread expect, or a decent amount meaning little depreciation which is what I'd think?

We traded in our 3 year old sandero for a stepway and got 7K trade in. Loss of 4k which I was happy with

• Advertisement
Advertisement