Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

R.O.R wrote: »
    The big question is, what did you get for it?

Maybe I'll do a poll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Reggie. wrote: »
    We traded in our 3 year old sandero for a stepway and got 7K trade in. Loss of 4k which I was happy with

And what discount off list on your purchase was received?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

my friend wrote: »

Discount? Got 7K off the list price off the stepway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

my friend wrote: »

As discussed earlier in the thread, Dacia's margin for the dealer is really small, discounts are not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

We traded in our 3 year old sandero for a stepway and got 7K trade in. Loss of 4k which I was happy with

It cost you 26 euro per week basically to have a new car with warranty. That's good going.

pablo128 wrote: »
    It cost you 26 euro per week basically to have a new car with warranty. That's good going.

Was happy enough plus the AA cover was a bonus aswell

As discussed earlier in the thread, Dacia's margin for the dealer is really small, discounts are not available.

So the dealer margin is really small, according to this thread nothing goes wrong with the vehicles either so no parts/warranty sales for same dealer and when it comes time for trade in you'll get close to what you paid for the vehicle

I'd imagine when a lot of the Dusters come off P.C.P. in March/April/May 2016 there'll be big demand for them on the second hand market.

When I decided to sell my one it took only 2 days to sell. Had a good few enquires. Only two people got to see it in the flesh. A few of the enquiries were aiming to see it that weekend. The first who saw it said he had to run it by the Misses and bring her back to see it in a couple of days. The second guy came the next day and took it.

Got a call from the first guy the following day - terribly disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Only saw this and haven't even watched it, plus it's in Russian. Czech apparently. Or what is it? Answers on a postcard...
    But the title sounds interesting and that's me hooked:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Only saw this and haven't even watched it, plus it's in Russian.
    But the title sounds interesting and that's me hooked:
    Just watched it, very well made programme. I don't understand a word of Czech (all vehicles bar 1 had CZ plate) except perhaps 'fantas-ishki' but the smiles say it all.
    Duster 4x4 got up the hill climb on the second attempt but the Merc made it look easy. It also done fairly well on the forest track against the Landcruiser but got beached as it didn't have the same ground clearance. Was interesting to see how much better grip the Duster 4WD had against 2WD variant on the wet road braking and acceleration test.

This video convinced me. I want a Niva!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

4K depreciation (on a dealer trade in!) in 3 years is pretty remarkable, thinking that during this time you have a bumper to bumper warranty and AA.
    I'm pretty sure the Dusters aren't that far off considering the asking prices on the used market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This video convinced me. I want a Niva!
    You don't really, I remember them well.
    I had a friend that had one and besides being thirsty, it put the ag into agricultural.
    That said for a cheap 4wd it was very capable.
    I still wouldn't drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Lutecia wrote: »
    4K depreciation (on a dealer trade in!) in 3 years is pretty remarkable, thinking that during this time you have a bumper to bumper warranty and AA.
    I'm pretty sure the Dusters aren't that far off considering the asking prices on the used market.

Probably helped that he was trading for another Dacia. Might not have gotten 7k trading against another brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sandero hasn't been for sale in Ireland for 3 years.

The earliest are 132 regs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You don't really, I remember them well.
    I had a friend that had one and besides being thirsty, it put the ag into agricultural.
    That said for a cheap 4wd it was very capable.
    I still wouldn't drive one.

Not on a road anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not on a road anyway
    Even offroad my 97 SWB landcruiser 90 was far more comfortable and capable.
    I sold it a couple of years ago for 1500 and its still running around in great nick.
    MPG would be better than the Niva on and offroad.
    No comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sandero hasn't been for sale in Ireland for 3 years.

I've seen 131 Sanderos around tbf.

Ours is a 131. Apologies as that should be 2.5 years not 3. Did it quickly in my head the first time

Ours is a 131. Apologies as that should be 2.5 years not 3. Did it quickly in my head the first time

No need to apologise, I've only seen 131 Dusters and 132 Sanderos.

• Advertisement

Both Sandero and Duster were on the market in January 2013,

Duster was an instant hit (and it was advertised months before) but the Sandero took some time to sell in decent numbers. I think they haven't advertised it at all, and that the word to mouth is working now.

For 141 there was the launch of the Logan MCV (Sandero Estate) and Sandero Stepway, I think there were a few late 132,
    And then the "facelift" romanian-sourced Duster for 151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Hi all

Looking at dusters on second hand market and can't believe the asking prices

Current list price for basic model is 16100 or say 16600 at dealers and there are people looking for 13-14k for two year old versions of same - thats way less depreciation than a golf ffs!!

At those prices why would anyone buy second hand?

I'll be stretching for a brand spanking new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

photosmart wrote: »
    Hi all

Current list price for basic model is 16100 or say 16600 at dealers and there are people looking for 13-14k for two year old versions of same - thats way less depreciation than a golf ffs!!

If that's the case save some money and buy a golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If that's the case save some money and buy a golf.

Why? Duster is apparently depreciating less and may suit his needs better? Really don't understand the golf lovefor the premium they command.

photosmart wrote: »
    Hi all

'Looking for' does not equate to achieving
    Only a fool would pay €2000 off sticker for a 2 year old used car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be curious to see what trade in they're giving on 1-2 year old dusters. There will be a glut of rentals coming back which should impact the used market.
    This happened with skodas as well in the 90s. Bargain hunters push up used prices.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see what trade in they're giving on 1-2 year old dusters. There will be a glut of rentals coming back which should impact the used market.
    This happened with skodas as well in the 90s. Bargain hunters push up used prices.

Yes, just proving again that we will pay any price for a bargain. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Grueller wrote: »
    Why? Duster is apparently depreciating less and may suit his needs better? Really don't understand the golf lovefor the premium they command.

I didn't mean buy a new golf, I ment buy a second hand golf instead of a second hand duster.

Believe me I have no love for vag cars but the Golf is still a nice step up in quality compared to a duster. Fair enough if a duster suits the ops needs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

colm_mcm wrote: »

A friend traded a 131 duster with 28K km for a 152. Signature model, slate grey metallic. €5000 was all it cost him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

jpfahy wrote: »
    A friend traded a 131 duster with 28K km for a 152. Signature model, slate grey metallic. €5000 was all it cost him

These were 18,000ish new, so 28% in 2.5 years is not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm in Rio for a wedding; lots of Dusters here but badged Renault just as with Logan and Sandero. Interesting a lot of them seem to be 140bhp 2L petrol/ethanol flex engines. That could be a more interesting proposition.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'm in Rio for a wedding; lots of Dusters here but badged Renault just as with Logan and Sandero. Interesting a lot of them seem to be 140bhp 2L petrol/ethanol flex engines. That could be a more interesting proposition.

Considering the Irish government over the years and the greens in particular (tax and ban party) made absolutely sure that any kind of bio diesel, ehtanol or LPG nonsense was drowned at birth, FORCING us to use petrol and diesel, I somehow doubt we'll see it here. I am amazed electric gets any kind of support here, but I guess the government knew that they had no arguments whatsoever against electric. Had they used their normal thuggery to make sure it never got off the ground, they would have looked like someone who kicks kittens to death for fun.
    So they have to grit their teeth, force a smile and say (whilst drowning on their own bile) "Yes! We wholeheartedly support the new cheaper, greener and better way to travel!", knowing that every electric vehicle is tax euros lost. For which they have to bilk the rest of us. Until everyone has an electric vehicle. Then you can expect electricity to quadruple in price (how DARE you use electricity you filthmonger! We have to burn coal and peat to make that! Have you no regard for planet Earth?!) and suddenly motor tax for electric vehicles to go higher than what is currently being charged.
    Because you can't make electricity expensive enough to throw off the same amount of money as petrol and diesel, so expect "pay as you drive" charges to come in.
    Because:
    The government has to get X of motorists. It needs X income. If X is not forthcoming, the difference has to come from somehwere. What you think you could save money by buying electric? Better hurry! By the time electric is as usable as petrol and diesel and everyone has one, it will cost the same as running an ICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Considering the Irish government over the years and the greens in particular (tax and ban party) made absolutely sure that any kind of bio diesel, ehtanol or LPG nonsense was drowned at birth, FORCING us to use petrol and diesel, I somehow doubt we'll see it here. I am amazed electric gets any kind of support here, but I guess the government knew that they had no arguments whatsoever against electric. Had they used their normal thuggery to make sure it never got off the ground, they would have looked like someone who kicks kittens to death for fun.
    So they have to grit their teeth, force a smile and say (whilst drowning on their own bile) "Yes! We wholeheartedly support the new cheaper, greener and better way to travel!", knowing that every electric vehicle is tax euros lost. For which they have to bilk the rest of us. Until everyone has an electric vehicle. Then you can expect electricity to quadruple in price (how DARE you use electricity you filthmonger! We have to burn coal and peat to make that! Have you no regard for planet Earth?!) and suddenly motor tax for electric vehicles to go higher than what is currently being charged.
    Because you can't make electricity expensive enough to throw off the same amount of money as petrol and diesel, so expect "pay as you drive" charges to come in.
    Because:
    The government has to get X of motorists. It needs X income. If X is not forthcoming, the difference has to come from somehwere. What you think you could save money by buying electric? Better hurry! By the time electric is as usable as petrol and diesel and everyone has one, it will cost the same as running an ICE.

You get me wrong, I'm not interested in ethanol so much as the particular engine offering. As it happens, the greens may have had it right as regards biodiesel/ethanol production in Ireland. I'm very familiar with the economics and enviro credentials of bio fuels esp from US producers. They rarely make any sense and in the U.S. Is mostly a barely disguised subsidy. Agri cast offs like corn husks etc can better be used in digesters/CHP plants. The use of good grade materials is even worse.

By contrast, sugar cane ethanol in Brazil doesn't absorb anything like the same energy to produce.

I just find it interesting that Euro Dusters are less powerful when generally Brazilian cars are lower powered than Euro equivalents.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You get me wrong, I'm not interested in ethanol so much as the particular engine offering. As it happens, the greens may have had it right as regards biodiesel/ethanol production in Ireland. I'm very familiar with the economics and enviro credentials of bio fuels esp from US producers. They rarely make any sense and in the U.S. Is mostly a barely disguised subsidy. Agri cast offs like corn husks etc can better be used in digesters/CHP plants. The use of good grade materials is even worse.

By contrast, sugar cane ethanol in Brazil doesn't absorb anything like the same energy to produce.

I just find it interesting that Euro Dusters are less powerful when generally Brazilian cars are lower powered than Euro equivalents.

Could it be just Ireland? We are known for getting engines -500cc compared to the rest of Europe.

The 2.0 litre petrol from the Duster is an old gen engine (that was still found on previous gen Clio RS and current Megane RS), emissions are way too high (close to 200g/km!) to make it an interesting proposition in western Europe.
    Russia also has that engine, but if you look around in the rest of Europe you have the 1.6 16v 110 (found in old Scenic and Laguna) as a entry model, then the modern 1.2 Turbo petrol (same as current Megane, Qashcow and Pulsar, but with 125hp instead of 115), and the good old dCi in 90/110 form.
    So we're not too bad with the unique 110 dCi offer.

And actually as I was checking, the Euro6 models are out in France (soon in Ireland I suppose), and emissions went from 130g to 115g on the 2WD (not sure about the 4WD) so that's some extra road tax savings to do, watch out if you're on buying one soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

curious of thoughts from anyone who's bought a Logan mcv, I know estates aren't popular in Ireland in general but that doesn't bother me. Seems to be cracking value and very tempted by either the alternative or signature

any feedback from anyone who has one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Plenty of reviews of them online and in the UK if you go looking.
    Generally positive but all say to avoid the older 1.2 if you are actually going to lug stuff around.
    You have to remember that the most basic model in the UK is far more basic than in Ireland.

Seriously considering one myself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Opted for the Logan MCV Signature deisel in the end, very happy with it so far

Driving the Logan MCV for awhile now and happy with, except one issue.

The headlights are awful when dimmed, can't fault them on full beams but when dimmed they do an awful job of lighting up the road.
    I've the lights set as high as they can go but its still awful and this is really frustrating on twisty country roads as the turns just come out of no where due to the way the light lands on the road.

Curious if any Sandero or Logan drivers have encountered this as well? If not I'm wondering where my headlight set arse ways to begin with perhaps.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Driving the Logan MCV for awhile now and happy with, except one issue.

The headlights are awful when dimmed, can't fault them on full beams but when dimmed they do an awful job of lighting up the road.
    I've the lights set as high as they can go but its still awful and this is really frustrating on twisty country roads as the turns just come out of no where due to the way the light lands on the road.

Curious if any Sandero or Logan drivers have encountered this as well? If not I'm wondering where my headlight set arse ways to begin with perhaps.

Stepway here and no issues tho it is higher than the sandero

It's a pity the indicators on Dacias aren't operative

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've the lights set as high as they can go

Do you mean you've turned the headlight level adjuster around to it's highest number?

Do you mean you've turned the headlight level adjuster around to it's highest number?

No, sorry I mean its set to 0 (highest as in headlights aren't adjusted down)
    Its worse if I turn it to 1, 2 etc of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thought I was seeing things this eve. I saw a Duster TAXI :(

Few of them in dub the last while

• Advertisement

I've seen a few of those. Wouldn't fancy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

in gta too

a7j8WSH.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    in gta too

a7j8WSH.jpg

not very realistic, the indicators are on :pac:

A Duster ended up on its back last night. Nobody seriously hurt luckily enough.

duster_on_back.jpg
    upload img

I don't no the details but was reminded of this clip linked below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUIpiTcmWNs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wow, another one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement