Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

tf2 wrote: »
    A Duster ended up on its back last night. Nobody seriously hurt luckily enough.

duster_on_back.jpg
    upload img

I don't no the details but was reminded of this clip linked below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUIpiTcmWNs

would be concerned at forward cabin compression ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A Duster ended up on its back last night.

Not only are tall softly sprung things like this more likely to roll over in an Elk test, they are also more likely to roll in a crash.

Rollovers are twice as deadly as crashes where the vehicle stays on its wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

It's on the independant.ie

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/car-flips-over-in-freak-accident-31566707.html

"Witnesses at the scene said that an elderly gentleman appeared to be confused and drove into the back of another car, which then flipped over a three-foot wall and landed on its roof."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not only are tall softly sprung things like this more likely to roll over in an Elk test, they are also more likely to roll in a crash.

Rollovers are twice as deadly as crashes where the vehicle stays on its wheels.

Spot on. This will also happen to the Rav4, Qashqai, sportage, IX35 etc so should not be used as a stick to beat the Duster with.

The forward cabin compression as mentioned by another poster however could be slightly concerning alright.
    I would like to see similar images of the other models mentioned because I would suspect this type of compression would be common enough to them all but this is just an unfounded suspicion and maybe somebody will post up test results to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Grueller wrote: »
    This will also happen to the Rav4, Qashqai, sportage, IX35 etc so should not be used as a stick to beat the Duster with.

I think the Duster is worse than most - it's elk test is Kangoo/Berlingo bad.

But in general, you are right, all SUVs are more prone to rollover in a crash than a similar sized saloon, hatch or estate - laws of physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

not very realistic, the indicators are on :pac:

It's just a bad earth, they come on when the driver presses the brakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

It looks like the A-pillars got completely crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Spot on. This will also happen to the Rav4, Qashqai, sportage, IX35 etc so should not be used as a stick to beat the Duster with.

The forward cabin compression as mentioned by another poster however could be slightly concerning alright.
    I would like to see similar images of the other models mentioned because I would suspect this type of compression would be common enough to them all but this is just an unfounded suspicion and maybe somebody will post up test results to prove otherwise.

Except you don't really see many instances where this happens the other makes you mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Except you don't really see many instances where this happens the other makes you mention.

A quick google would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Grueller

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

No, it does, pepple jist don't seem to have an agenda against them to go posting pictures of them on message boards. I work an odd cover shift with a recovery firm that do a lot of Garda work and soft roaders love to flip over. All makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

In the accident in Killiney as described in the report a saloon car would have gone over the wall too, it seems to matter little whether this was a Duster, a RAV4 or a 320d.

Poor chap lost his new car and I hope it settles quickly for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK Dusters are out of stock nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Superwofy wrote: »
    It looks like the A-pillars got completely crushed.

I suspect that's more of an optical illusion. If the ground in front of the camera rises slightly higher it will look like the pillars collapsed, but if you look closely you can't actually see a deformed pillar as if the pillar disappears into the ground. Also if the ground was very soft there's likely some digging in too.

If you look at the video tf2 posted you can see the cage easily holds up to a flip on hard tarmac, this car rolled onto much softer ground.

No, it does, pepple jist don't seem to have an agenda against them to go posting pictures of them on message boards.

I'm pro Duster! I've had two. A 4x4 one from early feb 2013 and I picked up a 2 wheel drive one in april afterwards. I've since parted ways with the 4x4 but my father still uses the 2 wheel drive one every day and loves it. Great purchase, great cars, did me well for a lot of miles.
    No agenda against them. Just posted the picture as this is a Duster thread and the over turning of Dusters was raised in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Can't believe I actually read this thread from start to finish. Since it started in 2012 there seems to be a major swing towards a positive reaction to the Duster. My first few cars didn't even have power steering not to mind ABS etc, so some of the comments here about the spec just gave me a giggle. Test drove a 141 Signature 1.5 diesel version last week and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove. Plenty power up a few steep narrow roads and comfortably overtook at 120Kph on Ballincollig bypass in 6th gear. Have ordered a 161 signature Prime for January and am very impressed with the spec. Air con, cruise control, Elec windows front and back, Sat nav, USB & Aux outlets. Am trading in a 3.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee and while I would like to have got a bit more on the trade in, i pretty much got what i was expecting. Taking into account the cost for tax/repairs and general running costs of the Grand Cherokee, the Duster will be working out at about 28 Euro a month more than its costing me at the moment. For this, my wife will have a new car with full warranty and a guaranteed future minimum value north of 8K Euros after 3 years.
    Don't normally like to wait around for a car, always like to get my hands on it fairly quick, but this time I think its worth it.
    Roll on January 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Can't believe I actually read this thread from start to finish. Since it started in 2012 there seems to be a major swing towards a positive reaction to the Duster. My first few cars didn't even have power steering not to mind ABS etc, so some of the comments here about the spec just gave me a giggle. Test drove a 141 Signature 1.5 diesel version last week and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove. Plenty power up a few steep narrow roads and comfortably overtook at 120Kph on Ballincollig bypass in 6th gear. Have ordered a 161 signature Prime for January and am very impressed with the spec. Air con, cruise control, Elec windows front and back, Sat nav, USB & Aux outlets. Am trading in a 3.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee and while I would like to have got a bit more on the trade in, i pretty much got what i was expecting. Taking into account the cost for tax/repairs and general running costs of the Grand Cherokee, the Duster will be working out at about 28 Euro a month more than its costing me at the moment. For this, my wife will have a new car with full warranty and a guaranteed future minimum value north of 8K Euros after 3 years.
    Don't normally like to wait around for a car, always like to get my hands on it fairly quick, but this time I think its worth it.
    Roll on January 1st

Currently on holidays in England with a stepway 1.5 diesel. Filled up before I started the journey last week. Currently at 1200 km with one top up of €10 before the ferry which i thonk was at 200 km. Tank is reading half full at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Reggie

How much to fill the tank ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Reggie

How much to fill the tank ?

I think it's in the region of €80 from bone dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You lads are ruining my theory that a Dacia 'd be the perfect second hand buy-
    Reasonably tried and tested mechanics - shouldn't be trashed either cause it rare that you see one driving faster than 100 kph .
    And the thing I was banking on - depreciation that should have faster than it's acceleration - but all the latest posters are ruining that bit-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jackoc

I purchased a "shockingly cheap" Dacia recently to find the dealership took an extra 4% on top of the Recommended Retail Price, it was very hurtful to pay above the odds, so be careful as "Price Transparency" did not work for me.

jackoc wrote: »
    I purchased a "shockingly cheap" Dacia recently to find the dealership took an extra 4% on top of the Recommended Retail Price, it was very hurtful to pay above the odds, so be careful as "Price Transparency" did not work for me.

What price did you pay?

What was the RRP?

Did you have a trade in?

Would have thought dealer and delivery charges and metallic would be extra. That's the norm anyway.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would have thought dealer and delivery charges and metallic would be extra. That's the norm anyway.

Yeah it was for me. €500 for paint, delivery charge on top of that. They wouldn't waive the delivery charge even though it came in around 6/7 weeks late back in early 2013. 6/7 weeks of BS like "It's due in the next day or two, we promise" from the dealer.

To be fair, there's feck all margin in them for the dealers. They're basically buying market share/customers for themselves and Renault.

Must be a horrid job selling them.

Yeah it was for me. €500 for paint, delivery charge on top of that. They wouldn't waive the delivery charge even though it came in around 6/7 weeks late back in early 2013. 6/7 weeks of BS like "It's due in the next day or two, we promise" from the dealer.

I understand that's the line that was being fed to the dealers by Renault. I know in 2013 the margains were very tight on the cars, dealers had 4/5% wiggle room depending on the exact model. I understand prices have increased slightly to increase the wiggle room for negotiation.

• Advertisement

Several friends have cursed them for drawing hassle into the showroom, while others seem to love them as they use them to upsell customers into a Renault. Others say they're no hassle to sell as the price sells it for them.

I wonder how the hire drive thing went for them? I've seen a load of rental dusters about.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    What price did you pay?

What was the RRP?

Did you have a trade in?

I Paid over 600 Exra

RRP as advertised 19500

No Trade Garage d

Interestingly the only other garage I Priced had a very similar price(quotation to prove)

That's normal.

What price did you pay? 21k

What was the RRP? 19500

Did you have a trade in?
    No Trade in, Quote is price written on the Brochure . I
    purchased some extras all itemised, I unfortunately
    got a quotation from another garage which was very
    similar to the quote i accepted!!!

• Advertisement

I Paid over 600 Exra

Does the price in the brochure contain metallic paint and/or delivery charges?

From the (terrible) Dacia website
    Any prices stated are those taken from the latest Dacia Ireland recommended retail prices described in the Car Price Guide ex Rosslare and include VAT & VRT. All other products or services supplied by agreement between you and your dealer are not included. Please note that the "dealer asking price" or "windscreen price". It is not necessarily the price a consumer would actually pay, as it may be the subject of negotiation, discount or an extra allowance on the value of your own car. It will also vary depending on any special offers applicable at the time, condition, length of warranty and any options and extras that may be fitted.

Does the price in the brochure contain metallic paint and/or delivery charges?

Special Edition Prime €19515 Includes Delivery , I was caught for an extra 600 which I am
    not happy about, Dacia told me its between me and the dealer, who is sticking with the "transparent price"

Did you get metallic paint?

Rrp seems to be 18890 plus delivery.

How did they get the extra money out of you? Would you not have agreed a price when you placed the order?

Rrp seems to be 18890 plus delivery.

How did they get the extra money out of you? Would you not have agreed a price when you placed the order?

My wife got quotation . I was told by rep Dacia pricing was fixed very low, and discounting had been done so I thought I was getting the recommended retail, i crosschecked with second garage whose price confirmed this, so I was unfortunate that I picked a garage that was also upping the price

Did you get metallic paint or what colour is the car? It would explain the price issue.

Metallic was part of the deal the 600 was added by the dealer , I was silly didn't expect to get caught like that !!

Metallic was part of the deal the 600 was added by the dealer , I was silly didn't expect to get caught like that !!

That doesn't appear to be the case. Metallic paint is always extra and costs about €600 extra on a Duster.......

That doesn't appear to be the case. Metallic paint is always extra and costs about €600 extra on a Duster.......

It's a special edition , met paint part of spec , most other garages are charging the correct price, thanks for your help

• Advertisement

It's a special edition , met paint part of spec

Metallic paint isn't part of the spec on any Duster, it's a €600 option. Either the dealer didn't explain it clearly or you assumed it was included.

Metallic paint isn't part of the spec on any Duster, it's a €600 option. Either the dealer didn't explain it clearly or you assumed it was included.

It's included in special edition prime edition , most other dealers reflect this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

My wife got quotation . I was told by rep Dacia pricing was fixed very low, and discounting had been done so I thought I was getting the recommended retail, i crosschecked with second garage whose price confirmed this, so I was unfortunate that I picked a garage that was also upping the price

Wife is having affair with the rep - possible explanation

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Driving the Logan MCV for awhile now and happy with, except one issue.

The headlights are awful when dimmed, can't fault them on full beams but when dimmed they do an awful job of lighting up the road.
    I've the lights set as high as they can go but its still awful and this is really frustrating on twisty country roads as the turns just come out of no where due to the way the light lands on the road.

Curious if any Sandero or Logan drivers have encountered this as well? If not I'm wondering where my headlight set arse ways to begin with perhaps.

Just on off chance anybody else experiences this,
    I went back to the dealership and it turned out they weren't calibrated correctly as they had dropped down further then they were supposed to. All sorted now and no issues :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be fair, there's feck all margin in them for the dealers. They're basically buying market share/customers for themselves and Renault.

I'd imagine it is...for customer's that expect to be able to haggle,
    I was under no illusions myself in relation to what the dealer was getting when I purchased my Dacia so wasn't a problem for me.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Wife is having affair with the rep - possible explanation

She would love you for that as she is in to her senior years!!

It's included in special edition prime edition , most other dealers reflect this

you know what, I think you're right on this one. They only come in one colour - blue. Which is metallic.

The price I see for them on June burkes site is €19495 RRP

you know what, I think you're right on this one. They only come in one colour - blue. Which is metallic.

The price I see for them on June burkes site is €19495 RRP

Yes I know that but I just posted for other people to take care when purchasing , I am ultimately wrong when I accepted a higher price!! silly me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yes I know that but I just posted for other people to take care when purchasing , I am ultimately wrong when I accepted a higher price!! silly me

I would get in contact with Dacia Ireland and see if they can help out or get some goodwill on services or something.

• Advertisement

My information was based on what was told to me last Saturday by a salesperson while shopping for a new car for my mother. They said metallic was a €600 option across the whole range regardless of the model choice.

Hands up and sorry if I'm wrong on that one Jack but that's where I got the information. :)

A quick search of carzone only shows up met blue Signature Prime models.

Advertisement