Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jackoc

ba_barabus wrote: »
    My information was based on what was told to me last Saturday by a salesperson while shopping for a new car for my mother. They said metallic was a €600 option across the whole range regardless of the model choice.

Hands up and sorry if I'm wrong on that one Jack but that's where I got the information. :)

A quick search of carzone only shows up met blue Signature Prime models.

We all make mistakes , who am I to talk those babies come packed because you pay extra
    Thanks

GavMan wrote: »
    I would get in contact with Dacia Ireland and see if they can help out or get some goodwill on services or something.

Already did they talked and talked but ultimately did nothing !
    Contract between me and Garage , so "nothing we can do" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Did they include a spare wheel for that price ? This does not come standard with the Signature Prime and costs in the region of 500 if extra

Did they include a spare wheel for that price ? This does not come standard with the Signature Prime and costs in the region of 500 if extra

Spare wheel is standard in 4*4 only mine is a 2 wheel drive , so not included ,
    i've looked at this from every angle, Dacia acknowledged I paid over RRP for the car but they
    could do nothing about it. So my mission is to inform others about my plight , bet there are many others who may not be aware they paid a premium for an identical product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Re-enabled my boards account just to give a real world description of my 2 year Dacia Duster ownership

Bought a 132 Duster Alternative 2WD in white in July 2013. First impressions where not bad i.e you get what yo pay for. As time progressed the regrets kicked in. First of all the rust. Surface rust started showing on the gutter rails above the rear doors. At the beginning it was as I said just surface rust however in a fairly short period of time it starting bubbling. Gradually over time other rust spots became evident namely on suspension top mounts and along the inner bonnet edges. I contacted Dacia who offered to touch-up the affected areas but only the visible ones i.e if they couldn't see them they weren't going to strip off the panels to inspect further. Coupled with incredibly uncomfortable seats, poor motorway mpg and various pieces of trim starting to come loose I decided to get rid after 2 years and 55k klms of ownership.

However come the time of sale I decided to give it a good clean and polish to make the sale easier. Thats when I seen the true extent of the rusting. Visable rust bubbling of body welds under the carpets and seats.

Got a decent enough price for it but definitely glad its gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Furtzy2 wrote: »

Good to see a real world account. The original Dacia Duster that came here was of poor quality in terms of rust/paint finish but it seems to affect white cars only and I'm not sure why. Does anyone know?

Dacia have moved the factory and the quality has improved substantially. It's the just a pity the initial batch which you got stung with were affected by rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Wow, with that amount of rust surely you had a case to reject the car?

I know it was tried in Britain by some owners but I think Dacia just performed paint correction on them. I'd be fuming if it was me tbh.

Good to see a real world account. The original Dacia Duster that came here was of poor quality in terms of rust/paint finish but it seems to affect white cars only and I'm not sure why. Does anyone know?

Dacia have moved the factory and the quality has improved substantially. It's the just a pity the initial batch which you got stung with were affected by rust.

It effected a lot more colours than white. Apart from the rust the overall build quality was very poor. Had a chat with my local mechanic after he serviced it. He was shocked at other aspects such a very poor wiring and general quality of suspension fixings etc. Glad to be well rid of it

Attempts to reject the cars in the UK have proved extremely difficult. Have a look at the owner forums and the rustyduster website

My advice to any any potential buyers is to avoid avoid avoid.

• Advertisement

It effected a lot more colours than white. Apart from the rust the overall build quality was very poor. Had a chat with my local mechanic after he serviced it. He was shocked at other aspects such a very poor wiring and general quality of suspension fixings etc. Glad to be well rid of it
    Interesting. I had just spotted the white ones being affected but it would make sense that other colours would be affected.

As for the rest of it, it's worth nothing and being aware of. I did find it all a bit rough and ready but didn't think anything was amiss with the quality. I'm not a mechanic however so I'll not claim an in-depth knowledge of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Interesting. I had just spotted the white ones being affected but it would make sense that other colours would be affected.

As for the rest of it, it's worth nothing and being aware of. I did find it all a bit rough and ready but didn't think anything was amiss with the quality. I'm not a mechanic however so I'll not claim an in-depth knowledge of those things.

I think the only reason why white is seen as more prone to rust is because the rust stands out more on the white paintwork.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I think the only reason why white is seen as more prone to rust is because the rust stands out more on the white paintwork.

The more extensive rust was on panels not normally visible....it was game over for me when I seen that especially on welds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Re-enabled my boards account just to give a real world description of my 2 year Dacia Duster ownership

Bought a 132 Duster Alternative 2WD in white in July 2013. First impressions where not bad i.e you get what yo pay for. As time progressed the regrets kicked in. First of all the rust. Surface rust started showing on the gutter rails above the rear doors. At the beginning it was as I said just surface rust however in a fairly short period of time it starting bubbling. Gradually over time other rust spots became evident namely on suspension top mounts and along the inner bonnet edges. I contacted Dacia who offered to touch-up the affected areas but only the visible ones i.e if they couldn't see them they weren't going to strip off the panels to inspect further. Coupled with incredibly uncomfortable seats, poor motorway mpg and various pieces of trim starting to come loose I decided to get rid after 2 years and 55k klms of ownership.

However come the time of sale I decided to give it a good clean and polish to make the sale easier. Thats when I seen the true extent of the rusting. Visable rust bubbling of body welds under the carpets and seats.

That level of rust on a 2 year old car in this day and age is shocking. Regardless of the price I think it's a reasonable expectation for it to stay rust free for a lot longer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Samsung421

I said I would just add my experience, albeit I have only test driven one and I have to say I loved it.

I was about to take the plunge and had my heart set on purchasing one with a view to pick a 2016 Model in January.

Looking at the Duster Signature 2 Wheel in Black. €19,400 or the 4 Wheel driver version is €21,400.

Dacia Mother Website puts there RSP at €1,100 cheaper on both models. When I asked said Dealers in Tipperary, Limerick and Cork. I was informed the 1100 was for delivery and metallic paint.

None of the Dacia dealers in these areas will take a trade in against a new Duster but will take a trade in against another make of vehicle that is not a Dacia.

2 of the dealers are offering a scrapage deal, but declined on the scrapage deal against the Dacia range, but did offer the scrappage deal on other makes of vehicles.

Mudflaps are extra on the above models at €19,400 and €21,400 from all dealers.
    Floor mats are standard with some dealers and not with others unless you pay extra for them.

A 152 Duster Signature 2 Wheel drive "with mileage" that was parked on the dealers yard was €19,335. €65 cheaper than a 2016 model.

My experience from 5 Dacia Dealers was that they were pushing other makes of car more so than the Dacia models.

I am only sharing and making no judgement. Only I don't feel like parting with €21,400 any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Samsung421 wrote: »
    My experience from 5 Dacia Dealers was that they were pushing other makes of car more so than the Dacia models.

I am only sharing and making no judgement. Only I don't feel like parting with €21,400 any longer.

All this means is that margins on Dacia's are really low and dealers don't stand to make much money on them.

That's how the sticker price is so low, which is good news for you as a buyer.

Except you might have to do some work, as opposed to having the dealer roll out the red carpet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

None of the Dacia dealers in these areas will take a trade in against a new Duster but will take a trade in against another make of vehicle that is not a Dacia.

Got a trade in against a new Dacia this year in Autoimage in Carlow, not a Duster but still worth a shot.

The important thing about Dacia is you need to realise there's little room for the dealers to discount on, once you realise this then there's no issues when it comes to price.

Who's looking for a red carpet........Not me.
    They can make a margin on the trade in if their any good at selling cars. LOL.

My point, is why are they pushing other makes that are not Dacia. The dealer I spoke to earlier this morning said the very same thing you did.
    Is this you again?? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Who's looking for a red carpet........Not me.
    They can make a margin on the trade in if their any good at selling cars. LOL.

My point, is why are they pushing other makes that are not Dacia. The dealer I spoke to earlier this morning said the very same thing you did.
    Is this you again?? :-)

Its actually factual.

If you were a sales person (think about it for a second)

And your margin and commission on Vehicle X was probably double what it is on the Dacia, Which vehicle would you gravitate the customer towards ?

The margin is very slim on the Dacia it is alot of car for the money.

Im struggling to find your gripe here ? If you wanted one then go get one, The sales person gravitas to a vehicle that would make him more money and may or may not suit your needs should not impact if you want to purchase the vehicle at hand.

Just being logical

• Advertisement

Got a trade in against a new Dacia this year in Autoimage in Carlow, not a Duster but still worth a shot.

Don't think you can go from Coach25k to running an Ultramarathon? If I can, anyone can!
    Visit my Running In Kilkenny Blog

Thanks a million my friend. I really appreciate that Cabaal.

Don't think you can go from Coach25k to running an Ultramarathon? If I can, anyone can!
    Visit my Running In Kilkenny Blog

So was the gripe then that they couldnt cut you a better deal and a trade on an already to the bone vehicle in terms of margin.

If thats the case then you should have been clear in your opening post.

listermint wrote: »
    Its actually factual.

If you were a sales person (think about it for a second)

And your margin and commission on Vehicle X was probably double what it is on the Dacia, Which vehicle would you gravitate the customer towards ?

The margin is very slim on the Dacia it is alot of car for the money.

Im struggling to find your gripe here ? If you wanted one then go get one, The sales person gravitas to a vehicle that would make him more money and may or may not suit your needs should not impact if you want to purchase the vehicle at hand.

Just being logical

Whos got a grippe. I said I was only sharing my experience. You said the margin is very slim on the Dacia. Care to share...on what the margin is. Mr Dealer you...Ya its you again.

My point, is why are they pushing other makes that are not Dacia.

Because they make more money on cars that are not Dacia, because customers pay more for cars that are not Dacia.

Because Dacia's really are cheap.

(And if you look back in the thread, you'll see that i wouldn't touch a Dacia with a 10 foot pole - I am not a fan at all, but there is no denying they are cheap.)

So was the gripe then that they couldnt cut you a better deal and a trade on an already to the bone vehicle in terms of margin.

If thats the case then you should have been clear in your opening post.

MMMM...I was clear enough. Cabaal caught on.
    Are you sure your not the Dacia Dealer I spoke to earlier on. Cmon its you, isnt it cmon...:-)

Whos got a grippe. I said I was only sharing my experience. You said the margin is very slim on the Dacia. Care to share...on what the margin is. Mr Dealer you...Ya its you again.

Youve called 2 seperate posters on her dealers.

It appears you have not done any research on the Duster what so ever. Its very well known especially on this thread you posted that you cant get any deals on them because the margins are so thin, and funnily enough they dealers are still selling out of them.

It appears you wanted something that was out of your price range and couldnt get a deal on it.

Thats life, im sure someone else will buy.

And myself and the other poster who answered you id imagine is not a dealer either.

Kudos to you though for reading the thread before hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Be interested to hear how you got on,

I gota say I found them pretty good to deal with. Much better then Dacia dealers in Waterford or Kilkenny, they also (atleast at the time) had a better selection of models in stock.

MMMM...I was clear enough. Cabaal caught on.
    Are you sure your not the Dacia Dealer I spoke to earlier on. Cmon its you, isnt it cmon...:-)

No Caball said exactly what i said, "there is little room to move on price" did you even read his post ?

Because they make more money on cars that are not Dacia, because customers pay more for cars that are not Dacia.

Ahhhh...So they make more money on other cars, thus we are really paying way more for the other cars than we should be really paying.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh...So they make more money on other cars, thus we are really paying way more for the other cars than we should be really paying.

Oh jesus,

Do you even know what Margins are ?

This is a ridiculous..... What do you expect the car for free. And no im not a dealer.

No Caball said exactly what i said, "there is little room to move on price" did you even read his post ?

God...Wow, relax there my friend. You win the argument. Your right I'm wrong.
    Ok.....

Oh jesus,

Do you even know what Margins are ?

This is a ridiculous..... What do you expect the car for free. And no im not a dealer.

You are way out of line there. No need for personal insults. Poster reported.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how you got on,

I gota say I found them pretty good to deal with. Much better then Dacia dealers in Waterford or Kilkenny, they also (atleast at the time) had a better selection of models in stock.

I will. I promise. You have given me a boost again. Will let you know and thanks again for your thoughtful input and information. I appreciate that.

You are way out of line there. No need for personal insults. Poster reported.

It wasnt an insult it was a question.

You were told that margins were slim on some vehicles and larger on others. That is a fact of different cars.

Then you posted that we are paying more for some cars than others. repeating what i said.

Its natural to ask, Do you know what Margins are? because your post inferred you did not.

It wasnt an insult it was a question.

You were told that margins were slim on some vehicles and larger on others. That is a fact of different cars.

Then you posted that we are paying more for some cars than others. repeating what i said.

Its natural to ask, Do you know what Margins are? because your post inferred you did not.

Thanks for your input, and with respect. Lets say goodbye there. You are not a nice person to exchange a bit of banter with.
    Best of luck to you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input, and with respect. Lets say goodbye there. You are not a nice person to exchange a bit of banter with.
    Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your experience, It was a worthwhile post if not some what sidetracked perhaps by me. But i remain staunch that the margins are slim on them and that is the reason the sales guy had more to play with on other models so made an easier sell for you.

Everyone is happy.

;)

thus we are really paying way more for the other cars than we should be really paying.

Well, maybe. But if every make had these thin margins, trade ins would be worth less everywhere.

Back in the 90s, Fiat had a scheme called "Open book", where the price you see is the price you pay. They sold lots of cars to people buying their first new car, but over time, customers came to hate the system, because a Fiat dealer would offer much less as a trade-in, and there was absolutely no room for deals or haggling.

Fiat dropped it and went back to the usual system. (The Competition authority shut down a similar Opel system, since it amounted to the manufacturer fixing prices and eliminating competition between dealers).

Well, maybe. But if every make had these thin margins, trade ins would be worth less everywhere.

Back in the 90s, Fiat had a scheme called "Open book", where the price you see is the price you pay. They sold lots of cars to people buying their first new car, but over time, customers came to hate the system, because a Fiat dealer would offer much less as a trade-in, and there was absolutely no room for deals or haggling.

Fiat dropped it and went back to the usual system. (The Competition authority shut down a similar Opel system, since it amounted to the manufacturer fixing prices and eliminating competition between dealers).

"Open Book" Never heard of it. Sounded good in theory but the crux over time was that Dealers dropped their trade in offers to make a margin. I see there is a dynamic involved.
    Thanks for that. That was something I never ever heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The other issue with open book was that the cars were effectively discounted at their rrp, so people saw them as a much cheaper product (not taking into account that all other manufacturers discounted from rrp) and wouldn't pay as much for them second hand.

It was a great system IMO (I still got a discount from the open book price though), it took a lot of the smoke and mirrors away. In the same way that "scrappage" deals do today.
    That said, smoke and mirrors are handy when you don't want to insult someone on the trade in price of their car and you having an identical one for sale on the forecourt.

jackoc wrote: »
    I Paid over 600 Exra

RRP as advertised 19500

No Trade Garage

Interestingly the only other garage I Priced had a very similar price(quotation to prove)

Dont be conned by the cheap RRP on website some garages are putting up this price as I posted earlier , my faith in Garages has been shattered.

• Advertisement

my faith in Garages has been shattered.

It's a business - if you don't like the price, don't buy.

It's a business - if you don't like the price, don't buy.

If you believe all the "price transparency hype" that is Dacias marketing , one would expect
    it is delivered in the forecourt, I believed it cost me..
    I am simply advising others not to be a fool like I was .

I am simply advising others not to be a fool like I was .

Fair enough, but I don't think you did so badly. Even with €600 added, a Duster is cheap as chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, you're actually cleaning up

(Groan)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Fair enough, but I don't think you did so badly. Even with €600 added, a Duster is cheap as chips.

You appear to be vested in the protection of Dacia

Yet again the Dacia Duster puts people into an absolute flap.

What is it about cheap vanilla transport that drives people mental?

my friend wrote: »
    You appear to be vested in the protection of Dacia

He doesn't. In fairness from the start of this thread until now he has consistently said he wouldn't have one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

He doesn't. In fairness from the start of this thread until now he has consistently said he wouldn't have one.

None of the dealer principals drive them either ;)

my friend wrote: »
    None of the dealer principals drive them either ;)

Actually you're wrong ;)

From my dacia buying experience...yes the margins are extremely tight...no they don't want trade ins and yes they will try and steer you towards a Renault if they think you can afford it.
    My dealer told me selling dacias kept the Wolf from the door in the bad times but he'd much rather sell the Renaults

• Advertisement
Advertisement