Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yet again the Dacia Duster puts people into an absolute flap.

What is it about cheap vanilla transport that drives people mental?

Some vanilla can be very expensive as well as very tasty; don't let childhood memories of HB put you off!

As for Dacias, I'm still surprised but everytime I see a chocolate brown one, I think they are quite pretty. Still wouldn't buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you look at one up close, there are some clever money/effort saving touches on the body (yeah, I know they rust...) a huge lack of clip in parts on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In fairness from the start of this thread until now he has consistently said he wouldn't have one.

I've said they are excruciatingly slow and just as well, because when they go fast they fall over.

And they are ugly inside and out, and made from nasty materials. And they rust.

But fair dues, they really are cheap!

I've said they are excruciatingly slow and just as well, because when they go fast they fall over.

You're probably not the top Dacia salesman with that pitch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I'm susceptible to your reverse psychology ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Marcusm wrote: »
    Some vanilla can be very expensive as well as very tasty; don't let childhood memories of HB put you off!

As for Dacias, I'm still surprised but everytime I see a chocolate brown one, I think they are quite pretty. Still wouldn't buy one.

I really like them, and I always like Vanilla HB. I can see why others wouldn't like them but I like their honest no frills approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Samsung421

So, lets take the cost aspect from it.

From everyone's experience, could I humbly ask your opinion.

Would a Duster 2016 model be prone to the reported rust in areas.
    I see someone said, they could potentially fall over if going fast ...Surely not??? Only asking.

As Dacia/Renault wont take a trade in against a Dacia. I could put 2K down as deposit and the monthly cost thereafter is €400 over 5 years.
    Or, I will get a trade in against a Nissan Qashqui and the cost thereafter will be the same as above per month.

I am open to an objective opinion.

Samsung421 wrote: »
    So, lets take the cost aspect from it.

From everyone's experience, could I humbly ask your opinion.

Would a Duster 2016 model be prone to the reported rust in areas.
    I see someone said, they could potentially fall over if going fast ...Surely not??? Only asking.

As Dacia/Renault wont take a trade in against a Dacia. I could put 2K down as deposit and the monthly cost thereafter is €400 over 5 years.
    Or, I will get a trade in against a Nissan Qashqui and the cost thereafter will be the same as above per month.

I am open to an objective opinion.

You may not be comparing correctly as while they might have the same monthly cost, is the trade in only worth €2k?

4K Trade in.

• Advertisement

4K Trade in.

What's its private sale cash value, how much in excess of 2k? THat is what you would have let over if you went the Dacia route. If nil, then I guess you are comparing apples with apples and it is down to estimated resale values in 5 years and your utility of the asset.

Rust only affected Indian built examples. Assembly was moved back to Romania and rust is no longer an issue. Build quality overall improved also. The falling over issue is something which affects most SUV models. Personally I feel it's an overblown issue and have seen no evidence to back it up but make your own decision regarding that.

Marcusm has covered the costs issue so I won't comment on that.

Rust only affected Indian built examples. Assembly was moved back to Romania and rust is no longer an issue. Build quality overall improved also. The falling over issue is something which affects most SUV models. Personally I feel it's an overblown issue and have seen no evidence to back it up but make your own decision regarding that.

Marcusm has covered the costs issue so I won't comment on that.

Thats Brilliant. Lost internet for a bit.
    What a relief on the rust and turnover bit.

Guys ye are brilliant. "Marcusm" Thanks also. I couldn't reply for ages there.
    4k is a scrapage offer. 2k I reckon I could get as private sale. But the rust and turnover thing had me concerned.

So, it looks like the Duster. Will keep ye updated. Thanks again all. I do appreciate an objective view.

If 2011 dusters were available right now, they would easily be worth 7k.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If 2011 dusters were available right now, they would easily be worth 7k.

If i was to go into full on pedant mode, I would say the question is whether , in 2020, they would be worth more than the Qashqai is expected to be worth minus the additional pleasure the prospective purchaser expects (plus an adjustment for relative costs differential) but i think what you are saying is that the Duster is the best financial option which is bad news for Nissan (or at least for those in Sunderland)!

The falling over issue is something which affects most SUV models.

No, the high centre of gravity is part of it, but the soft suspension is a factor.

Other French vehicles like Berlingo and Nemo vans do badly in elk tests, too, even though they are not SUVs.

You definitely want ESP on these.

• Advertisement

Oh My God. That was scary. The ole Duster looked ok. But I am layman here.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If i was to go into full on pedant mode, I would say the question is whether , in 2020, they would be worth more than the Qashqai is expected to be worth minus the additional pleasure the prospective purchaser expects (plus an adjustment for relative costs differential) but i think what you are saying is that the Duster is the best financial option which is bad news for Nissan (or at least for those in Sunderland)!

4 year old qashqais are making silly money second hand. If you're banking on residuals though, the more you spend the more you risk.
    I don't know that qashqais will always be wanted second hand (I remember when Rav4s were safe money buying new)
    A 4 year diesel car, no matter how unfashionable, should be worth 7k. That's being conservative to take into account how different things may be in 2020.

But I am layman here.
    OP the best advice I can give is that you should satisfy yourself with your choice of car. If you're happy with it, go for it, if not then don't.

As for the video of the Duster above that Duster isn't fitted with ESP and according to the video it could eliminate the problems they had. All Dusters now come with it as standard. I can't search for a video right now to back up that it has eliminated it as I'm at work.
    ESP zou dergelijk gedrag kunnen voorkomen
    ESP could prevent such behavior

But I am layman here.
    All Dusters now come with it as standard.
    They should write that on their website.
    You used to only get it on the high-end or 4x4 models.

The Dacia website is shockingly bad.
    I'm on an iPad here, and there's no link that I can see to get off the mobile site and onto desktop
    version.
    I'm not rooting out the laptop just because they can't design a proper website. Maybe I'm the wrong demographic.

• Advertisement

They should write that on their website.
    You used to only get it on the high-end or 4x4 models.

As Colm says their website is like something a Transition Year student made for their Mini-Company. It used to be an option but is now fitted across the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As Colm says their website is like something a Transition Year student made for their Mini-Company. It used to be an option but is now fitted across the range.

Maybe it's one of their ways to keep down costs!

Maybe it's one of their ways to keep down costs!

The Ryanair approach

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

OP the best advice I can give is that you should satisfy yourself with your choice of car. If you're happy with it, go for it, if not then don't.

As for the video of the Duster above that Duster isn't fitted with ESP and according to the video it could eliminate the problems they had. All Dusters now come with it as standard. I can't search for a video right now to back up that it has eliminated it as I'm at work.
    I have owned an Indian built Duster since February 2014, it has no esp nor does it have any rust, I drive it like I would any suv and have never had any problems with it's road manners or have ever felt unsafe driving it. It now has 33,000 kms on it and I am thinking of buying a new one in 2016 with all the improvements that it now has. I will probably sell my Duster on Donedeal or Carzone and expect around 14or 15k for it so will cost about 4 or 5k to update to a 161, not a bad deal for 2 years use. I love the car and am sure the next owner will enjoy it too, it has another 3 years warranty to give them peace of mind. The Indian Duster is still selling well second hand well despite it's problems with paint and rust issues that affected some but not all of them, I was fortunate to buy a good one. The margins are low on a new one as has been pointed out, so selling privately and buying cash is the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

newfranko wrote: »
    I have owned an Indian built Duster since February 2014, it has no esp nor does it have any rust, I drive it like I would any suv and have never had any problems with it's road manners or have ever felt unsafe driving it. It now has 33,000 kms on it and I am thinking of buying a new one in 2016 with all the improvements that it now has. I will probably sell my Duster on Donedeal or Carzone and expect around 14or 15k for it so will cost about 4 or 5k to update to a 161, not a bad deal for 2 years use. I love the car and am sure the next owner will enjoy it too, it has another 3 years warranty to give them peace of mind. The Indian Duster is still selling well second hand well despite it's problems with paint and rust issues that affected some but not all of them, I was fortunate to buy a good one. The margins are low on a new one as has been pointed out, so selling privately and buying cash is the best way.

A bit more than some when there is a website dedicated to the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sure if the margins are tight on a new Duster, are you not a bit over - optomistic expecting 14-15k for it in a few months, when/if the rust makes its appearance.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Oh no a website!
    You know its a 5min job to setup a website right? It requires no real skill and in no way adds legitimacy to the issue the website is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh no a website!
    You know its a 5min job to setup a website right? It requires no real skill and in no way adds legitimacy to the issue the website is about.

13323495.jpg

Sure if the margins are tight on a new Duster, are you not a bit over - optomistic expecting 14-15k for it in a few months, when/if the rust makes its appearance.;)
    I am only going by the prices currently on donedeal and carzone, take a look and see for yourself. I think the rust issue would have shown up by now but hey who knows, either way I am confident it will sell allright and yes maybe I am optimistic but we'll see what happens.

Keeping in the theme of this thread...

Bought a 141 duster new and was offered 47k on a trade in for a Clio last week

• Advertisement

I am only going by the prices currently on donedeal and carzone, take a look and see for yourself. I think the rust issue would have shown up by now but hey who knows, either way I am confident it will sell allright and yes maybe I am optimistic but we'll see what happens.

Best of luck with it.

my friend wrote: »

Is there a decimal point missing from that trade-in amount? If not, you got the world's best ever offer:D.

WOW must be some Clio !! biggrin.png

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes I've read the rusty duster thread on the UK website and there is a lot of unhappy folk with affected cars but as I said not all cars were affected if you read it through. Dacia has a paint campaign to recall rusty cars but some have been back several times with no apparent cure to fix the problem, once rust has set in it's nigh on impossible to stop it. I wonder why Dacia has not implemented a similar service for Irish owners, surely the problem should be sorted here too, maybe a call to customer services for a checkover is in order.

Is there a decimal point missing from that trade-in amount? If not, you got the world's best ever offer:D.

Clearly went over your head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Clearly went over your head...

It wasnt great, if it was designed as a joke i dont think anyone got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Yes I've read the rusty duster thread on the UK website and there is a lot of unhappy folk with affected cars but as I said not all cars were affected if you read it through. Dacia has a paint campaign to recall rusty cars but some have been back several times with no apparent cure to fix the problem, once rust has set in it's nigh on impossible to stop it. I wonder why Dacia has not implemented a similar service for Irish owners, surely the problem should be sorted here too, maybe a call to customer services for a checkover is in order.

They offered to re paint the visible affected areas on mine but only after I contacted them. They did stress the word visible. Not worth a damn as they worst rust i found was under carpets etc. Sold mine to a dealer for a quick sale as i just wanted rid asap. 7 year old Avensis now with not a spec of rust, way better mpg and seats that don't cause chronic back pain..all happy so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

I bought a 152 Duster just over a month ago.
    We got lucky and got a higher spec model in silver as another customer wanted the white one we had ordered and was willing to let us have the silver one.
    This is the first time i have ever bought a brand new car so my expectations may have been low but here's some pro's and con's for those interested;

Cons: Dash is very plasticky looking.
    Handles throughout don't fill me with great confidence that they will withstand any roughness!
    No alloys - the tyres are not the prettiest.
    No spare (Dacia Tallaght quote €500 for supply and fit)
    El windows only in front.
    No A/C.

Pros: Engine is great (1.5d). Has an eco mode and the engine shut off mode when idle.
    Comes with the gear change indicator light (This might piss some people off).
    Decent radio.
    Bluetooth works very well and can be controlled from the stalk. My wife and children can play music via their phones ect while in the car as you can have multiple devices paired to bluetooth.
    Digital dash functionality has MPG, Tyre Pressure, Service warning & petrol status as well as how far the tank will get you.
    Despite not having ac the heating / cooling system is very good and clears the windows etc.
    Boot is a very good size.
    There is definitely a better finish to the newer model, "Duster" wording on roof bars, chrome grill on front.

did you lose much sellin it back furtzy?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    did you lose much sellin it back furtzy?

Yeah about €5.5k...which I suppose for 2 years and 55k kms was not so bad. I would have taken less as I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The mpg on my motorway commute compared to the Avensis saves me €30 a week in fuel. The 1.5 diesel in the Duster is definitely not suited or geared for 70mph + driving. Also at that speed it felt very skittish. While I was happy to buy it at the time the old adage you get what you pay for was definitely true in my case!

I bought a 152 Duster just over a month ago.
    We got lucky and got a higher spec model in silver as another customer wanted the white one we had ordered and was willing to let us have the silver one.
    This is the first time i have ever bought a brand new car so my expectations may have been low but here's some pro's and con's for those interested;

Cons: Dash is very plasticky looking.
    Handles throughout don't fill me with great confidence that they will withstand any roughness!
    No alloys - the tyres are not the prettiest.
    No spare (Dacia Tallaght quote €500 for supply and fit)
    El windows only in front.
    No A/C.

Pros: Engine is great (1.5d). Has an eco mode and the engine shut off mode when idle.
    Comes with the gear change indicator light (This might piss some people off).
    Decent radio.
    Bluetooth works very well and can be controlled from the stalk. My wife and children can play music via their phones ect while in the car as you can have multiple devices paired to bluetooth.
    Digital dash functionality has MPG, Tyre Pressure, Service warning & petrol status as well as how far the tank will get you.
    Despite not having ac the heating / cooling system is very good and clears the windows etc.
    Boot is a very good size.
    There is definitely a better finish to the newer model, "Duster" wording on roof bars, chrome grill on front.
    I take it you bought the cheaper Alternative model as the Signature model has all the bells and whistles, to be honest you made the right choice as it's all you need for the Irish roads and 2 grand cheaper. Build quality is definitley better compared to the phase 1 model. Air con is rarely needed here! Wind up windows in the back, who cares unless you carry 4 people regularly. Spare wheel only available on 4 wheel drive models otherwise you gotta buy it as an extra on 2 wheel drive models. you,ve got a good car, enjoy it.icon7.png

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    They offered to re paint the visible affected areas on mine but only after I contacted them. They did stress the word visible. Not worth a damn as they worst rust i found was under carpets etc. Sold mine to a dealer for a quick sale as i just wanted rid asap. 7 year old Avensis now with not a spec of rust, way better mpg and seats that don't cause chronic back pain..all happy so :)
    Was your car a 131/132 white model by any chance Furtzy, these were the ones mostly affected. Good luck with your Avensis a great car.

Air con is rarely needed here!

I never turn off the aircon, it's even more useful in winter than in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I never turn off the aircon, it's even more useful in winter than in summer.
    Isnt that a big waste of fuel for feck all benefit in the Irish climate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Thargor wrote: »

A proper climate-control HVAC controls the humidity level of the cabin air, thus demisting much faster after startup and preventing fogging. In Summer, things are kept very comfortable and productive indeed. And with the climate around here getting more fetid and sticky every year, aircon was never more useful. And, I've lost count of the number of HVACs I've seen knackered and needing €300 worth of attention because of Clever people saving fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thargor wrote: »

Air Conditioning is not solely for cooling the car in summer.

Its in the 'name'

Yes a white 132 Alternative. Colleague at work has a 141 silver alternative with rust issues as well in similar areas. The Avensis I bought is a 08 with 70k miles on it and is far better car!

The duster had some cheap ass sponge like material in the A pillar that held water..surely not a good idea! Wonder do the new models have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anyone know where I can find the Authentication Key for the radio/satnav.
    Checked handbook but couldn't spot it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

If its not in the back of the manual for the media nav, then contact Dacia.ie or call them on 1890 771 771

They should be able to sort u out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

If its not in the back of the manual for the media nav, then contact Dacia.ie or call them on 1890 771 771

They should be able to sort u out

• Advertisement
Advertisement