Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

If its not in the back of the manual for the media nav, then contact Dacia.ie or call them on 1890 771 771

They should be able to sort u out

I just hope Dacia dealers don't do what Renault Kearys Cork did a few years back... they charged me €20 for getting the radio code for a Renault Kangoo. Their excuse for charging me was they has to access the Renault Database. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rang dealer and got sorted ... no fee thankfully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Rang dealer and got sorted ... no fee thankfully :)

Did you buy a new one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean12319

Out of curiosity apart from rust issues what other problems are Dacia owners experiencing?

Ordered a new Duster in October. Picked it up at the start of January. A bit soon to tell if there are any problems but so far so good. Everything is as advertised. The wife uses it mostly for suburban driving and is getting 6l/100km at the moment. I imagine it would improve if she was doing longer drives. Took it out a few times myself and was impressed with how it drives. Very smooth through the gear changes and plenty of power when you need it. 6 speed gearbox overtakes effortlessly in 6th gear without any need to downshift. The dog (large GSD) spends a lot of time in the boot. We have taken out the parcel shelf and he has loads of room.
    Herself was a bit dissapointed that it did not have a cd player, but once I set up her tunes on her phone and connected up to the bluetooth infotainment system she was more than happy with it.
    Haven't used the sat nav system as yet but checked it out and it seems fine.
    One thing I did notice is that the underneath of the bonnet (first 6 inches from the front) is getting dirty already from splashes. Nothing getting in as far as the engine but it will need regular cleaning to keep it in good order.

Ordered a new Duster in October. Picked it up at the start of January. A bit soon to tell if there are any problems but so far so good. Everything is as advertised. The wife uses it mostly for suburban driving and is getting 6l/100km at the moment. I imagine it would improve if she was doing longer drives. Took it out a few times myself and was impressed with how it drives. Very smooth through the gear changes and plenty of power when you need it. 6 speed gearbox overtakes effortlessly in 6th gear without any need to downshift. The dog (large GSD) spends a lot of time in the boot. We have taken out the parcel shelf and he has loads of room.
    Herself was a bit dissapointed that it did not have a cd player, but once I set up her tunes on her phone and connected up to the bluetooth infotainment system she was more than happy with it.
    Haven't used the sat nav system as yet but checked it out and it seems fine.
    One thing I did notice is that the underneath of the bonnet (first 6 inches from the front) is getting dirty already from splashes. Nothing getting in as far as the engine but it will need regular cleaning to keep it in good order.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dean12319 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity apart from rust issues what other problems are Dacia owners experiencing?

6 Months on with my Dacia Logon MCV,
    Still very happy with it, no issues to report and seriously handy to have buckets of space in the boot.

At the start the car had a headlight alignment issue, this was easily sorted and no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Dean12319 wrote:

Mine is 141 registered.
    Yet to see the rust issues everyone keeps asking about.
    Was more than brilliant car so far. Only complaints I would have it's having to choose between either mileage, clock, temperature etc and not being able to see few of these readings at once; and weird viper setting. I often find that slowest setting is too slow and next up is good for full on rain so there is no setting for light intermittent drizzle.
    I was perfectly aware what car I was purchasing and did extensive research beforehand on various foreign forums. It was either Duster or Lada Niva for me. Wanted something simplistic yet reliable so Duster came first.
    It is good for various types of driving but I have no clue how people manage 6ltr per 100km. Closest I come to it is 6.5ltr per 100km while pootling up Wicklow mountain roads at around 40km/h.
    Fat tires make it easier to park or jump on the kerb to let larger vehicles through on the narrow roads. Was very tired of low profile tires on my previous car and rims were always scraped.
    Look forward to 2017 model now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Cabaal wrote: »
    6 Months on with my Dacia Logon MCV,
    Still very happy with it, no issues to report and seriously handy to have buckets of space in the boot.

At the start the car had a headlight alignment issue, this was easily sorted and no problems since.

Diesel of petrol??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

FFS, has anyone seen the inside of a dacia and compared it to a premium brand, bmw , merc etc.

I'd much prefer to spend the money on a second hand bmw/merc / mondeo than a dacia.

Its all about reg snobbery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

pa990 wrote:
    FFS, has anyone seen the inside of a dacia and compared it to a premium brand, bmw , merc etc.

There you've said it. Premium brand.
    pa990 wrote:
    I'd much prefer to spend the money on a second hand bmw/merc / mondeo than a dacia.

So no French, Japanese, Korean, Italian (oh, Italian!) cars then?
    pa990 wrote:

It's all about a badge snobbery in some cases I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

pa990 wrote: »

Not in my case. It was a smart buy for me back in 2013. I didn't buy it for the reg. No regrets - Great Car!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A Mondeo? Really? You aspire to that as a premium car? Well, it's good to have, ahm, achievable dreams. :D
    I would consider a Duster (yes, for ages now, but can't get rid of the Cmax right now), precisely because it isn't premium.
    My car has shopping, recycling, pellets, firewood, coal, briquettes, dogs, bicycles, gym gear, dirty runners and anyone and anything else thrown into it. It works for a living, it's not a status symbol that I drive around carefully in my Armani suit. Premium me arse. :pac::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The interior of the 07 onwards mondeo is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Are you serious ?

What level of detail or what are your main criterea for purchasing a car ?

To me, I would rather buy a reasonably priced new Dacia, with a five year warranty which pretty much gaurabtees me six years of trouble free motoring (gaurantred to pass nct after four years, bring me to year six), rather than spend the equivelant or more on a 6 or seven year old bmw driven by some salesman who didn't give a toss about his company car, that may or may not give trouble over the same period

The logic of nct free motoring for six years alone pretty much makes the decision for me. Unless of course I was a brand conscious wannabe who gave a shyte about what people think I drive. That goes for brand and reg plate.

But if a silly statement pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

Dean12319 wrote: »
    None and no rust either, mine is a 141 and I was tempted to go for the new facelift model but the car has been so reliable I will wait till 2017.icon7.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Are you serious ?

What level of detail or what are your main criterea for purchasing a car ?

To me, I would rather buy a reasonably priced new Dacia, with a five year warranty which pretty much gaurabtees me six years of trouble free motoring (gaurantred to pass nct after four years, bring me to year six), rather than spend the equivelant or more on a 6 or seven year old bmw driven by some salesman who didn't give a toss about his company car, that may or may not give trouble over the same period

The logic of nct free motoring for six years alone pretty much makes the decision for me. Unless of course I was a brand conscious wannabe who gave a shyte about what people think I drive. That goes for brand and reg plate.

But if a silly statement pa990

You'll be doing the nct after the first four years. The guarantee won't cover wearable parts so it won't exactly be free motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

don't forget the Dacia warranty isn't 5 years unlimited, it's 5 years or 100k km's.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You'll be doing the nct after the first four years. The guarantee won't cover wearable parts so it won't exactly be free motoring.
    The terms of the warranty mean servicing the car at a Dacia dealership at regular intervals so wearable parts should be changed then, so after 4 years if the car has been properly serviced it should pass the NCT no bother, but then any car irrespective of age and warranty should be serviced, but not everyone does it, if they did we would'nt need NCT's.

• Advertisement

So basically, if you fix everything that needs to be fixed at main dealer labour rates, you're laughing with the regards to the ultra traumatic and financially crippling NCT :)

newfranko wrote: »
    The terms of the warranty mean servicing the car at a Dacia dealership at regular intervals so wearable parts should be changed then, so after 4 years if the car has been properly serviced it should pass the NCT no bother, but then any car irrespective of age and warranty should be serviced, but not everyone does it, if they did we would'nt need NCT's.

Which you will be charged well for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Any garage can perform maintenance on any car without affecting it's warranty so long as the work is done to specified standards.
    Any condition making the warranty dependent on using the brand's dealers or parts is illegal under EU law.

https://www.dacia.ie/services/dacia-after-sales/warranty.html
    Maintenance: The vehicle must be regularly serviced according to the Maintenance Program shown on the Warranty and Service Sheet provided to you by your Dacia Dealer during the new vehicle handover, whilst adhering to approved Dacia standards as described in the Owner’s Handbook and on the Warranty and Service Sheet in order not to risk invalidating the Dacia New Vehicle Warranty should an incident be due to the lack of or
    quality standard of servicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

No idea if this has been mentioned before but I found it interesting. I was in India recently and saw many Dusters badged as a Renault.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Any garage can perform maintenance on any car without affecting it's warranty so long as the work is done to specified standards.
    Any condition making the warranty dependent on using the brand's dealers or parts is illegal under EU law.

https://www.dacia.ie/services/dacia-after-sales/warranty.html

Pretty sure this doesn't apply to extended warranties though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Yes, and I don't regard normal wear and tear issues as "trouble", they are par for the course of owning a car, a bicycle and a pair of shoes.

Again, my point was I'm reference to the poster who claimed that purchasing a duster was about number plate snobbery, and then I'm the same post advised people to buy 'premium brands' like bmw or Mercedes.

The very point against that is you don't get guaranteed reliable trouble free motoring buying a second hand cat of that age, which is why many people purchase a reliable affordable new car which gives them a guarantee of trouble free motoring for six years.

If I spent 16k on a second hand bmw, what dealer will give me a five year warranty ? What dealer will guarantee me that the vehicle will pass nct over the following 4 or 5 years ?

That's the logic of purchasing affordable new as against premium second hand.

It's not always about the brand or the plate, a new Dacia is a solid decision imho.

I don't have one btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Senecio wrote:
    No idea if this has been mentioned before but I found it interesting. I was in India recently and saw many Dusters badged as a Renault.

No self respecting Indian would be seen dead in a Dacia!...as a former Duster owner I'm qualified to make this joke :-D

they love Renault Dusters though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Senecio wrote: »

There's a Nissan version too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I have a Dacia Duster Since May 2013

Its been an Excellent car with no rust issues.

My Only issue was having to change the Low beam bulbs more they any other car Ive had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure this doesn't apply to extended warranties though.
    Actually according to the following FAQ (pdf file) it does, so long as the extended warranty was taken out at or soon after the time of sale of the vehicle (see Q2 & Q3)

It doesn't apply to warranties bought by the consumer some years after he bought the car (see Q4).

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/mv_faq_en.pdf

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    they love Renault Dusters though

Badge snobbery India style :-D

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    Badge snobbery India style :-D

nissan-terrano-duster-12.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is utterly hilarious,
    I looked at other brands and do you know what the issue was?...cost. I could get a car equal to the size of a Logon MCV but it would cost me 10k more new.

If I looked second hand and wanted it anyway recent year then it was not far off the price I actually paid for the MCV. This isn't badge snobbery this is getting value for money.

I didn't get a Dacia because I wanted a 152 reg, I bought one because I see a car as A-B and nothing more.

I put no value on a specific brand and I'm much more likely to have less issues with a new car then a second hand car which costs me the same price. So I choose new and got a warranty that is longer then 3 or 6 months like I would with second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I really fancy the Duster actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I hate the fooking ad

mansize wrote: »
    I hate the fooking ad

This ad? :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is utterly hilarious,
    I looked at other brands and do you know what the issue was?...cost. I could get a car equal to the size of a Logon MCV but it would cost me 10k more new.

If I looked second hand and wanted it anyway recent year then it was not far off the price I actually paid for the MCV. This isn't badge snobbery this is getting value for money.

I didn't get a Dacia because I wanted a 152 reg, I bought one because I see a car as A-B and nothing more.

I put no value on a specific brand and I'm much more likely to have less issues with a new car then a second hand car which costs me the same price. So I choose new and got a warranty that is longer then 3 or 6 months like I would with second hand.

I bought mine in the depths of the recession and the Duster seemed perfect for those times...anti-cool I suppose. But as much as I thought I didn't care what others thought I did a little bit...human nature I suppose :). Always compared the Duster to a pair of Lidl jeans. Sure they cover your legs and have pockets but they're still fooking Lidl jeans. Apart from the shameful rust issues as posted by me before its real shortcomings became apparent when my commute increased to 200km per day. The fuel economy dropped significantly on the motorway and the awful seats were crippling

Glad I tried one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    But as much as I thought I didn't care what others thought I did a little bit...human nature I suppose

I've run lots of uncool cars, including a Multipla and a Kangoo Kar, and I liked them just fine. I actually prefer not to drive the cool BMW 5 or popular Golf.

But no feckin way am I ever buying a Duster! :pac:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So basically, if you fix everything that needs to be fixed at main dealer labour rates, you're laughing with the regards to the ultra traumatic and financially crippling NCT :)
    The cost of an NCT is bad enough and repairs can be crippling if done by main dealer but not as bad as greasey joe's backstreet mob who use the cheapest parts and charge you for orignal parts.Dealer Cost of first service 130 euro, cost of second service 130 euro and the next three will depend on your mileage as to what parts are needed but genuine parts with a guarantee. Yes they are expensive but there is no argument when and if something goes wrong.icon12.png

The cost of an NCT is bad enough
    €50? Seriously?

• Advertisement

The cost of an NCT is bad enough and repairs can be crippling if done by main dealer but not as bad as greasey joe's backstreet mob who use the cheapest parts and charge you for orignal parts.Dealer Cost of first service 130 euro, cost of second service 130 euro and the next three will depend on your mileage as to what parts are needed but genuine parts with a guarantee. Yes they are expensive but there is no argument when and if something goes wrong.icon12.png
    :rolleyes:

ba_barabus wrote: »
    €50? Seriously?
    It's enough especially if you need to get it done every year. Some people dread having to find the money for it and if repairs are needed too.

It's enough especially if you need to get it done every year. Some people dread having to find the money for it and if repairs are needed too.

Surely if repairs are needed it's a good idea to pay an independent person a small fee to let you know

i'm pretty sure your service prices are wrong, but even so it's a gas reply.

a €17,000 car and you'd begrude €130 a year to maintain it. what would "greasy joe" charge? €100? you'd save a cool €30 a year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I suppose you get what you pay for. The duster tempts many and has a fine engine. I drove one today and as the engine is shared by Renault and some Nissans it is definitely up to scratch. The interior and the seats are distinctly chinese style , shiny plasticy and the seats are uncomfortable and hard.. The colours and the paint work also look cheap in my opinion. However they are ten grand cheaper than the Nissan , Renault or Hyundai. I enjoy driving and like my motors and believe life is too short to drive one of these full time. I would look out for a well minded other brand with full service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

€50 to have your car properly tested for road worthiness is nothing really, i doubt yu would get that much of a compresensive test done by any mechanic for anywhere near that amount

i'm pretty sure your service prices are wrong, but even so it's a gas reply.

a €17,000 car and you'd begrude €130 a year to maintain it. what would "greasy joe" charge? €100? you'd save a cool €30 a year :rolleyes:
    Nope ,my last 2 services from Denneys Limerick were E130 and a wash thrown in!icon7.png I certaintly don't begrudge paying for a good job that I know covers my warranty.

Nope ,my last 2 services from Denneys Limerick were E130 and a wash thrown in!icon7.png

Thats a competitive price. did it get a cabin filter for that price or was that just an oil and filter?

canhefixit wrote: »
    €50 to have your car properly tested for road worthiness is nothing really, i doubt yu would get that much of a compresensive test done by any mechanic for anywhere near that amount
    A pre NCT check at a local garage was 35 euro last time I had it done a couple of years ago, probably more now.

• Advertisement

Thats a competitive price. did it get a cabin filter for that price or was that just an oil and filter?
    No, invoice showed oil and filter and a "health check" they even e-mailed a short video of the car saying that it all was well.

Advertisement