Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Cabaal wrote: »

make it stop!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Senecio wrote: »
    No idea if this has been mentioned before but I found it interesting. I was in India recently and saw many Dusters badged as a Renault.

In South Africa too: Dacia as a brand does not exist: Sandero, Duster, etc - they're all Renault-badged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious what type of figure people are paying for first service for a Dacia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think there was someone who got quoted €200 for an identically engined Qashqai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

€179

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cost me 167e in the end for the service so happy with that, just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying over the odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

€155

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

AngelaRI wrote: »
    In South Africa too: Dacia as a brand does not exist: Sandero, Duster, etc - they're all Renault-badged.

Brazil too which I suspect is one of the biggest markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Does anyone know if Dusters in Ireland have the autolock feature for the doors, when you drive around 5 KMPH the doors lock.

The manual says it is there, the dacia brochure does not mention it ?

Have a new duster signature and when press and hold the central locking button when the engine is running at a standstill I dont hear the beep for activation .. anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'll confess to not having read the whole thread but a quick question to everyone. Have any of ye traded in a 131 for a new one? If so, how did you get on? Trade in etc? I don't think the rust rumours came to anything in the end. There are a few 131 models around the locality and tbh they look as good as the day they were bought, they're all whte as it happens. There's a gold Logan MCV owned locally too, I think it's 131 but it looks as clean as the day it was bought too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Does anyone know if Dusters in Ireland have the autolock feature for the doors, when you drive around 5 KMPH the doors lock.

Have a new duster signature and when press and hold the central locking button when the engine is running at a standstill I dont hear the beep for activation .. anyone ?

We'd this issue with Kangoo vans, some of them deactivated when holding th central locking button with engine running and some with only ignition on (engine not running). Bring it to the dealer and let them sort it. The function is useless, I can understand it in a Porsche or Ferrari etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

jca wrote: »
    I'll confess to not having read the whole thread but a quick question to everyone. Have any of ye traded in a 131 for a new one? If so, how did you get on? Trade in etc? I don't think the rust rumours came to anything in the end. There are a few 131 models around the locality and tbh they look as good as the day they were bought, they're all whte as it happens. There's a gold Logan MCV owned locally too, I think it's 131 but it looks as clean as the day it was bought too.

The rust problem is not a rumor, it's real. You'll not see the rust unless you are up close to the car and looking in the right places.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The rust problem is not a rumor, it's real. You'll not see the rust unless you are up close to the car and looking in the right places.

That's bad then. Where do they rust mainly? Rust in a car is like cancer, once it starts you'll never get rid of it.

jca wrote: »
    That's bad then. Where do they rust mainly? Rust in a car is like cancer, once it starts you'll never get rid of it.

Mainly in the seams and folds in the bodywork, anywhere that water collects really. The newer Romanian built dusters are supposed to be improved in this regard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

My understanding is that it was removed as the system to automatically unlock in the event of a crash was not working sufficiently well. That is what my dealer told me and saw it on a forum in the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

My understanding is that it was removed as the system to automatically unlock in the event of a crash was not working sufficiently well. That is what my dealer told me and saw it on a forum in the uk

I will give them a call, it might have to be activated then via Renault Clip in the Garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

It's real and mine had it. As said only visible when up close. Roof rails, bonnet edge, under bonnet and shockingly in my case under rear seats on welds. Would live to see how bad it is now a year on from I got rid. It was spreading at an alarming rate

Maybe the Romanian built versions are better but I'd never ever consider buying anything dacia again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iwolffy

In Romania there's on offer with 8850E for a 4x2 1.6 petrol.

If I were to need a car like Duster, that's the amount of money I would spend for the car.

The car here in Ireland is overpriced (mainly because of the VRT) and with known rust issues, you'll lose a lot of money selling it in 3-4 years.

Back in Romania let's say I might understand the need for a car like Duster for someone that lives in the mountains where there's snow for more then 3-4 weeks per year but here in Ireland??

New duster is €11000 in romania for a base model. there's a scrapper scheme on there at the moment.

The base duster in romania doesn't have electric Windows,coloured bumpers, alloys, radio etc.

I know. That scheme is called "rabla" and it's every year since 2010 to support the sale of new cars.

I agree that the base model is not the one to buy the one after that is 2k more and has most of the stuff you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

iwolffy wrote: »
    In Romania there's on offer with 8850E for a 4x2 1.6 petrol.

If I were to need a car like Duster, that's the amount of money I would spend for the car.

The car here in Ireland is overpriced (mainly because of the VRT) and with known rust issues, you'll lose a lot of money selling it in 3-4 years.

Back in Romania let's say I might understand the need for a car like Duster for someone that lives in the mountains where there's snow for more then 3-4 weeks per year but here in Ireland??

What advantage on snow does 4x2 duster have over any other regular car? I can't see any...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New duster is €11000 in romania for a base model. there's a scrapper scheme on there at the moment.

The base duster in romania doesn't have electric Windows,coloured bumpers, alloys, radio etc.

So is it €8850 or €11000 ?

it's €11000 rrp but obviously scrappage brings the price down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

I sat into a 161 Duster Signature last week. Can't fault them for the money in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Had a 131 Duster and Just traded it in.

Never had a problem with it also no rust issues.

CiniO wrote: »
    What advantage on snow does 4x2 duster have over any other regular car? I can't see any...

Higher ground clearance. I wouldn't buy 4x2 if I would go ofter on roads with snow.
    CiniO wrote: »
    So is it €8850 or €11000 ?
    It's €11000 base price but in RO there's a scheme and you get all new cars a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Had a 131 Duster and Just traded it in.

Never had a problem with it also no rust issues.

Did you go for a new Duster?

I got one for my father back in march 2013 on PCP. The PCP is just up so decided to extend the repayments rather than change for a new one. His duster has never given any trouble and has no rust issues either.

iwolffy wrote: »
    Higher ground clearance. I wouldn't buy 4x2 if I would go ofter on roads with snow.

Well in places where you need higher ground clearance due to snow, your 2wd would be useless anyway.

So either get 4x4 and then higher ground clearance might be beneficial on snow, or just go for regular car with normal ground clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

tf2 wrote: »
    Did you go for a new Duster?

I got one for my father back in march 2013 on PCP. The PCP is just up so decided to extend the repayments rather than change for a new one. His duster has never given any trouble and has no rust issues either.

No. I got a Captur instead as I usually dont get the same car twice

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

CiniO wrote:
    Well in places where you need higher ground clearance due to snow, your 2wd would be useless anyway.

I beg to differ. There are plenty of 2wd in any European or other countries which are exposed to heavy snowfalls in the winter. Would say it depends on driving experience and style. I used to own old 5 series BMW which, according to locals, should be abandoned with the first hint of snow. Had no problem during snowfalls few years back but wished for higher ground clearance as it was scraping snow like improvised snowplough.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ. There are plenty of 2wd in any European or other countries which are exposed to heavy snowfalls in the winter. Would say it depends on driving experience and style. I used to own old 5 series BMW which, according to locals, should be abandoned with the first hint of snow. Had no problem during snowfalls few years back but wished for higher ground clearance as it was scraping snow like improvised snowplough.

Maybe it was scraping snow like improvised snowplough, but as you said you had not problems....

If snow was so deep that improved ground clearance was really needed, then 2wd would not suffice.

tf2 wrote: »
    I sat into a 161 Duster Signature last week. Can't fault them for the money in my opinion.

I think they are a bit on the nasty side rather than cheerful side, especially on the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭newfranko

Just had a look at the Duster Prestige, it has a new all black dashboard and the latest European style headlights and tail lights also new type alloys along with new paint colours. Looks very nice indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

038c4cac71045b7add97c600e5654c4a.jpg
    0.PNG
    166311aed3067027ab6d3de5967aaff8.jpg
    ac8f479cf9f130dbf5d672be288faaf0.jpg
    6aca326b394f36b9e920f34105b7adb4.jpg
    Might be just a bit of wheel rub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    No. I got a Captur instead as I usually dont get the same car twice

Slightly off topic.How do you find the Captur?

Slightly off topic.How do you find the Captur?

Press the key and the lights flash.... I'm only joking...please don't get all boardsie.

• Advertisement

Any dealt with any Dacia dealers in relation to getting a tow hitch fitted? The Dacia marketing material lists them as available but no pricing info.

Would getting a none dealer to fit a hitch effect the warranty, am guessing it might

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Retrofit shouldn't affect warranty.

Saucy as a dealer fit option, in the region of €600 iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I got a hitch added after on mine last year after i bought it. I think it was around 500e to 550e but i got the boot mat thrown in free also. No issues with it and i've used it numerous times

Just thought I'd mention was quoted 500 which included install for OEM hitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

newfranko wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Duster Prestige, it has a new all black dashboard and the latest European style headlights and tail lights also new type alloys along with new paint colours. Looks very nice indeed.

I ended up buying a 162 Duster Prestige late last year, with all the latest trimmings (latest headlights etc). 6000km later and I'm still loving it! So comfy, surprisingly fuel efficient (I traded up from a VW Up! with 1L engine, so this was a MASSIVE change). It's no flash Merc of course, but amazingly good value! Glad I splashed for the Prestige which included the MediaNav and parking sensors/camera - those sensors and camera make it a breeze to back into any parking spot despite being significantly bigger than my last car, which admittedly was very zippy for tight spots. Nice having the bigger car with the recent storms too: it's much more stable on the road in the strong winds we've had recently. All in all, I highly recommend the Duster, absolutely love mine!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Can't believe I find myself here again!
    After posting sooo many times on this very thread 5 years ago, myself and the wife finally bought a 2010 Duster, a 1.6 16 valve petrol. She won't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel and in Germany you pay quite a lot more motor tax for a diesel.
    It's actually a step up from her Chevy Spark, now that is a miserable sh*te box.
    Still cost nearly 8k, they hold their value well on Germany. In fact all older cars hold their value here. My 2006 Cmax (2.0 diesel) cost just under €3k and that is no at the expensive end of the spectrum.
    Since this car will be used to ferry my mother around, bring the dogs off on walks, go shopping in and be generally abused as a daily runner, it's perfect. And we can't quite afford an S Q5 yet, so it's the most car for the money out there.

They say the 1.6 has a usefully short first gear which is nearly like a low ratio box. Any truth in that?

They say the 1.6 has a usefully short first gear which is nearly like a low ratio box. Any truth in that?

Well, the missus did the test drive and we're still waiting to pick the car up, so can't tell you yet.
    It seems reasonably nippy anyway and it's quite comfy to sit in as a passenger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For folks coming to the end of their pcp on their dusters, how has the process of movong to a new duster gone, is there much if any equity left ?

Are many opting to go for another duster.

I pass a duster dealership and see a couple of three year olds on the forecourt, presuming from people trading up after PCP

I'd say the Duster does really well on PCP, GMFV is only €7300

The deal they're pushing is a €0 deposit and €308 a month. If you had that deal then you'd surely have a few grand equity in it and would have lower payments next time

I'd say the Duster does really well on PCP, GMFV is only €7300

The deal they're pushing is a €0 deposit and €308 a month. If you had that deal then you'd surely have a few grand equity in it and would have lower payments next time

How much are dealers offering as a trade in on 3 year old dusters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can’t say I’m not tempted but it will drop me a level with work travel expenses and I’ll have to work out exactly how that hurts me.

It’s like a game of chess here with motors, if herself goes for a Kuga it can be the primary tow vehicle and I could move on my Tiguan and consider a duster.

OK, been driving it (well, the wife mostly with me occasionally) for a while now and here's the low down (no pun intended)
    The gearbox is indeed quite low geared in general, not just first which I wouldn't describe as extremely low geared, but quite low.
    As a result it's nippy, but I wouldn't fancy it for longer motorway journeys.
    At 120 km/h it's moving past the 3000 rpm mark and at 140 it's gone past 4000, making it a little strained at higher speeds.
    In comparison, I have a 2 liter diesel Cmax and at 140 it's not even 2500 rpm and from there it will effortlessly cruise up to 180 and beyond. At 200 km/h it won't feel as planted as the Passat at work, but that's a whole different review (and about €20k more). :D
    But it's mostly used around the local area (where singles are apparently waiting for my call) and it's perfectly suited to the B roads in the Allgäu. It handles well even if it's no MX5 and acceleration is adequate.
    Even with 2WD it feels solid to drive in winter, only yesterday we had to drive on ungritted roads covered in ice and snow and it just drove like on rails. The Bridgestone wintertires are also important to that, but her Chevy Spark had the same tires (except on smaller wheels than the spacesaver on my Ford) and that car was just terrible in winter. The large wheels and higher up position do make a difference. Wish I had had that car in Co. Clare sometimes.
    It's very comfy and due to to high up position easy to get in and out of for my elderly mother. The dogs have plenty of space in the boot and so does the shopping, though not at the same time.
    Economy is around the 8 liter mark, so not great but not terrible.
    The plus mark for me, the car will be easy to service. I can do most things myself, so oil, brakes and filters will be easy-peasy.
    All in all a very good runaround for the price with loads of room, comfy, nippy and I do like the look of them.
    For longer journeys we can take the Ford, since visiting relatives can easily be a 1000 km round trip. 2000 if I visited my family in Kiel, which is clear accross Germany.
    For that I'm planning an A7 trip, a motorway that runs the entire length of Germany. Would like to start in Austria and run into Denmark.
    Maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Has anyone had issues with them leaking? Have. 151 duster. The blower stopped working on it. Thought it might’ve been fuse but it wasn’t. Then the horn stopped working. It would come and go intermittently. Took it in to be checked out and they said there was a leak and that caused all the damage. Can’ remember what they said was leaking.

Now it’s back in again as the boot was soaking. Got a call today to say there’s a leak behind a panel and the cars gone to panel shop to be checked.

Anyone ever have this happen? Do I need to worry about car rusting from inside out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have heard of leaks in early models but would have thought they would be sorted by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement