Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

You're the one telling me what sort of language I'm using in my posts ;)
    I haven't passed any comment about your posts or the language they're constructed from. I am however disputing that the language I used was "marketing language" as you put it, also your interpretation of my post was incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

copacetic wrote: »
    :confused:

It's a 15k car, of course you have to spend money out of yourpocket to own it, and it's not 11k either obviously, it'll be over 17k over 3 years if you finance it.

The same as every single other car finance or loan deal that's ever existed.

ohhh jasus........:pac::confused::pac::confused:

i give up on ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

zinzan wrote: »
    Which models did you go for?

2 base models
    Best regards
    Sincerely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

2 base models
    Best regards
    Sincerely

Thanks for that - was wondering if you got one 2WD, one 4WD so you could do a 'living with' comparison!
    Was about to pull the trigger on the 4WD version, but now have an option on a 'hand-me-down' Citroen C5 estate for cheap so can't justify it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I took a spin in the base model & there was nothing basic about it,the base models of certain other makes are more basic than the Duster.For a spacious family vehicle I think €15k is very reasonable,the €18k model has 4wd & all the toys but even at that price it's cheap compared to any other 4wd on the road.

The finance options are 2 fold,there's your 'normal' finance that we are all used to where you pay the average €350 odd a month then own the car or you can take an option based on your milage & pay less per month (average mileage gets you a payment of €149 a month) then choose to pay a balloon payment at the end of the term or Renault/Dacia give you the keys of a brand new Dacia.This type of finance deal is popular in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Cicero wrote: »
    Heres the Dacia price list ...should be noted that metallic paint is eur 500 extra and 5 year warranty is 549 extra...couple that with the Signature version which is what many will want and which will be marketed @ 16,990 and the total cost is coming towards 18,000 euro

http://www.dacia.ie/media/pdf/att00099938/DusterPriceList.pdf[/QUOTE]

Do you still think that compared to its closest rivals the Dacia isn't good value for money? Every manufacturer charges for metallic paint and the 3 Year/100,000 klm Warranty is still better than alot of other mainstream brands, plus the nuts and bolts are all from the Renault/Nissan parts bin so they're some way reliable. I would still compare the fit finish and trim to the last generation of Daewoo/Chevrolets and there's still loads of them being driven around! If you needed a car with a big boot, diesel, low tax (for now) and an elevated driving position you can't lose!

You wouldn't buy a mid-spec Clio/Corsa/Polo/Micra diesel for the Signature spec Dacia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

For 15k, you get a shiny brand new, reasonable sized modern diesel car, where no one else’s ass will have sweated and farted into your seats, or picked their noise in.

No one is trying to claim the duster is going to be na X5 or even a Quashqai

It's a very very average, get me from A-B, low specked brand new shiny car, for below average prices.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's going to suit a lot of buyers, who like to buy new, and who've done the 'luxury' car badge thing and found the experience not worth the extra

Buying ANY new model from ANY manufacturer these days is a gamble.

The actual model has now become a far better guide to reliability in recent years than the actual make.

This model has been already released a few years in other countries and has at least proved to be as reliable as average, if not more so.

And thank God for new car buyers, the more the better, otherwise where would the rest of us get our used cars.

More power to these people who are willing to buy and try these dusters I say.

And yes, sections of the Irish motor trade will continue to run these cars down if they see them as a threat.

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's going to suit a lot of buyers, who like to buy new, and who've done the 'luxury' car badge thing and found the experience not worth the extra

.... luxury as in...?

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... luxury as in...?

Rover ? ;)

• Advertisement

So you won't elaborate so?

sorry, not into pointless pissing contests regarding matters of opinion with resident posters.
    one man's idea of necessity is another man's idea of luxury.

Lol, says enough you can't stand over your drivel.

Lol, that post says more about you than me.

PS I've quoted it so you don't get to delete it. ;)

Not really, name the brands and your post is drivel, leave them unnamed and its still drivel :) your p1ssing contest comment said a lot, most drivel spouters resort to such comments when their drivel is quesstioned.
    Quote away !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sorry, not into pointless pissing contests regarding matters of opinion with resident posters.
    one man's idea of necessity is another man's idea of luxury.

Lets not forget who started this tit for tat.
    Lol, that post says more about you than me.

PS I've quoted it so you don't get to delete it. ;)
    ;)
    There's no worry there' James wouldn't be a man for deleting posts.

• Advertisement

Not really, name the brands and your post is drivel, leave them unnamed and its still drivel :) your p1ssing contest comment said a lot, most drivel spouters resort to such comments when their drivel is quesstioned.

More a case of you having no substantive point to make, other than attacking the poster instead ;)

Not elaborating would suggest your post is lacking in substance :D

Not elaborating would suggest your post is lacking in substance :D

Says the man that can only pick one word out of a 200 plus word post, and tries to make an issue about it - but hey keep digging ;)

If its any consolation the entire post was drivel :)

I know its hard to take that yours is not the only opinion permitted on boards.ie ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not at all interested or concerned how many of them sell tbh :)
    You deleted half your post, lol.

I'm not at all interested or concerned how many of them sell tbh :)

Ah got it now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Why don't you make your own counter argument rather than just name calling . I say this because I am interested you see your counter argument . I look forward to your well thought out points .

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's going to suit a lot of buyers, who like to buy new, and who've done the 'luxury' car badge thing and found the experience not worth the extra................
    .... luxury as in...?
    complicit wrote: »
    Why don't you make your own counter argument rather than just name calling . I say this because I am interested you see your counter argument . I look forward to your well thought out points .

Counter argument? I want to know what luxury car brands he reckons those who like to buy new used to buy before they'll flock to buy the Dacia Duster :) Apparently there's "a lot" of these people.

Quite simple really, seems as no answer is forthcoming it seems to be drivel.

To look at the rest of the post seems as you're so interested.....
    For 15k, you get a shiny brand new, reasonable sized modern diesel car, where no one else’s ass will have sweated and farted into your seats, or picked their noise in.

Modern? The engine has been around for at least a decade, the Duster itself has been for sale for a few years. It's a stretch to describe the vehicle as modern. The platform isn't the latest, it's been replaced a couple of years ago. If someone launched a car based on the mark 1 Focus would it wash as being modern? A new duster is no doubt shiney, the swearty arse and nose picking comments are retarded, most people's spouses have had "worse" than that done to them in previous relationships :pac:
    No one is trying to claim the duster is going to be na X5 or even a Quashqai

It's a very very average, get me from A-B, low specked brand new shiny car, for below average prices.

It's not much cheaper than a hatch Megane (€18,700) after the trade in booster if you want metallic paint etc (signature model is €17k), so it only actually looks really cheap in comparison to a Q'qai. An Octavia 1.2TSi can be bought for €18k, realistically who is going to do lots of miles in the Dacia to make the advantage of the diesel make a huge significance, keeping in mind the mpg of the TSi is quite decent.

Buying ANY new model from ANY manufacturer these days is a gamble.

The actual model has now become a far better guide to reliability in recent years than the actual make.

This model has been already released a few years in other countries and has at least proved to be as reliable as average, if not more so.

So buying a Duster is less of a gamble than buying any new model from any manufacturer? Or is the same level of a gamble :confused:

And thank God for new car buyers, the more the better, otherwise where would the rest of us get our used cars.

More power to these people who are willing to buy and try these dusters I say.

And yes, sections of the Irish motor trade will continue to run these cars down if they see them as a threat.

What sections of the Irish motor trade are running them down?
    The new car buyer speel is true, without doubt. Buying new dusters will just result in 2nd hand ones being available, for those who wouldn't touch a new one a 2nd hand one won't appeal me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

zinzan wrote: »
    Thanks for that - was wondering if you got one 2WD, one 4WD so you could do a 'living with' comparison!
    Was about to pull the trigger on the 4WD version, but now have an option on a 'hand-me-down' Citroen C5 estate for cheap so can't justify it :(

Thanks, interesting idea. Ordered the two base models in white( the new black)
    One for the housekeeper au pair for shopping school runs etc and 1 for daughter at college. Did not avail of the finance deal. At least family should be well catered for in terms of motoring reliability for coming 3 years.like buying any car one looks at all the options and make the decision that suits the individual best.
    Thank you for your support and genuine debate which has proved invaluable to me

Buying the base model finance free makes sense :)

Buying the base model finance free makes sense :)

+1

its the only way one of these makes sense....actually, buying one in 3 years for 5k will make even better sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Debs_Mann

I seen one of these the other day in drogheda, (think it was luxembourg or belgian plates). It seems to be low and wide. Would not win in the looks department, but price will sway alot of people to buy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally i think this model will do very well in ireland. For all intensive purposes its a good price and will entice buyers.

Regardless of some personal feelings on here about the model or marque nothing you say will impact the fact that it will be a good seller as has been proven in other jurisdictions.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Regardless of some personal feelings on here about the model or marque nothing you say will impact the fact that it will be a good seller as has been proven in other jurisdictions.

I don't recall anyone on here saying they won't sell well.

they'll sell alright, shure people bought lada's ands fso's here in the last recession...........;)

...history does have a habit of repeating itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Apologies i confused that with the fact that they will sell well because they are a reasonably good deal for an off the factory floor vehicle. Maybe thats what i pointed out in my post that appears to be the bone of contention.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    +1

its the only way one of these makes sense....actually, buying one in 3 years for 5k will make even better sense!

I don't know what the average 3 year old duster will cost, but I suspect it will be more than 5k, as the cheaper 09 diesels currently on the market with average miles (Hyundai accents, Nissan Tida's and suchlike) are nearer 8k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm going for a test drive of the 4wd model on Saturday. I'm looking at a few options and at that price range with a five year warranty its hard to not consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

just put a deposit on a duster in limerick , roll on january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Probably closer to end of Feb I'd imagine ! But congrats and good choice. Wonder how long it will be before there's a Duster Club Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Yes, no point bringing petrol version to Ireland, new car buyers seem obsessed with buying diesel cars. With fifty mpg on diesel, the petrol version would be a slow seller.

I used to spend €150 per week on petrol(yes a week) to drive a very comfortable 2004 Renault Vel Satis - a gas guzzling - oil drinkin 2.0l petrol turbo - that chewed away 17" tyres up every 10 months! The car tax was €178 per quarter year.

I swallowed my pride and traded down to a sensible economical new bland 1.5 diesel 110bhp Renault Megane in August.... now I spend €60 a week on diesel and my road tax is only €160 for the year.

Ok the car isn't half as comfortable or spacious as the Renault Vel Satis, but it's cheap as chips to run, has a 5 year unlimited warranty and still has A/C, cruise control etc... so I'll survive slumming it!

My advice... take the Dacia... put the money you save on fuel costs in your pocket and save up for a holiday next summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The contract hire deal is in no way particularly attractive when you get into it...and do the sums.

In reality you are putting €11,200 cash deposit (deposit and balloon) and you would be lucky (very lucky)to get half that back when its 3 years old.

over 11k cash for a yoke with no air con, cloth,2wd,steel wheels,non metallic paint,no spare wheel, rear drum brakes....a lot of outlay for a paddy spec.

the finance is a sham of a deal, think long and hard and think again if you think one of them is a bargain now?
    Following your suggestion - here are the sums.

€149 a month over 3 years = 36 payments = €5364
    + Initial deposit of €4538 = €9902

You then have the option of paying a final balloon of €6716 and keeping the car making the total cost of €16,618, or you can walk away. Compared to buying it outright at the beginning thats a difference of only €1,627 which is hardly extortionate for 3 years financing.

No matter which way you do it, €11k doesn't really come into it anywhere unless you're adding both in which case you still own the car at the end of the 3 years having paid €1,627 more than the windscreen price for your car :confused:

As for it not being worth half that after the 3 year period, well that remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Top Dog wrote: »
    Following your suggestion - here are the sums.

€149 a month over 3 years = 36 payments = €5364
    + Initial deposit of €4538 = €9902

You then have the option of paying a final balloon of €6716 and keeping the car making the total cost of €16,618, or you can walk away. Compared to buying it outright at the beginning thats a difference of only €1,627 which is hardly extortionate for 3 years financing.

What's the mileage limit with that deal?

CiniO wrote: »
    What's the mileage limit with that deal?
    Don't know actually. Clicking full terms & conditions doesn't answer it either.

http://www.dacia.ie/dacia-finance/index.jsp

No matter which way you do it, €11k doesn't really come into it anywhere .

what rubbish......11k cash is 11k cash, whatever way you look at it, and whenever you pay it for an unproven yoke.........it's a sham of a deal......

I got a return spin to Dublin in a 2012 Fluence recently (wheel trim clad but had cruise control), if the Duster is any worse / not as good (depending on your view) I wouldn't consider it anywhere near good value tbh.

what rubbish......11k cash is 11k cash, whatever way you look at it, and whenever you pay it for an unproven yoke.........it's a sham of a deal......
    And if it proves to be a mediocre car, you don't pay the balloon. Simples - no?

I fail to see how its any different to financing any other €15k car.

And if it proves to be a mediocre car, you don't pay the balloon. Simples - no?

I fail to see how its any different to financing any other €15k car.

not really, cos' you'll be welded to 3 years of mediocrity till you get rid.. :D

• Advertisement

not really, cos' you'll be welded to 3 years of mediocrity till you get rid.. :D
    Ah give me something here! :D

A 15k Clio isn't exactly going to set the world alight either. Doubt there's very much you can buy new for 15k that'll be anyway exciting. Nearly everything at that price range is mediocre ;)

Doubt there's very much you can buy new for 15k that'll be anyway exciting. Nearly everything at that price range is mediocre ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3948684 :D:D:D:D:D

I said NEW and you even quoted that part :p

If you go second-hand ... its a whole different ball-game :D

yep! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

We just bought one :D

ready in January 2013 in white

• Advertisement
Advertisement