Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

MidlandsM wrote: »
    he was probably full of sh!t .......until I see the 2 dusters with 131 reg pics he can GTFO!

Happy New Year to you also!

yeah, but the french as basically a bunch of communists and peasants...:pac:

That is not a very nice comment. I have a number of French business acquaintances, who are neither Communists nor peasants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

That is not a very nice comment. I have a number of French business acquaintances, who are neither Communists nor peasants.

bit slow of the mark there, posted that stuff ages ago, and learn how to use multiquote will ya! also
    i have french business acquaintances too, and they are commi's and peasants......so what! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your 2 new dusta's together when you get them Del. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

bit slow of the mark there, posted that stuff ages ago, and learn how to use multiquote will ya! also
    i have french business acquaintances too, and they are commi's and peasants......so what! :P

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your 2 new dusta's together when you get them Del. ;)

I live in france, and you're bang on;)

Edit. Dont forget the custard, wouldnt want a pic from a dealers yard now would we;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

One of the lads in work has one ordered and was told he'll have it early next week. It seems they are all in the country but being delayed by revenue or some other paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

That sounds similar to what i was told. Although i think it is only the 4X4 signature models that have arrived. The not knowing is the worst part, second only to the lack of communication from the dealers themselves. Had i known it would take this long i wouldn't have sold my van last week.

tf2 wrote: »
    That sounds similar to what i was told. Although i think it is only the 4X4 signature models that have arrived. The not knowing is the worst part, second only to the lack of communication from the dealers themselves. Had i known it would take this long i wouldn't have sold my van last week.

The lad in work did the same, sold his wifes 07 Qashqai and Monday and now she has to drop him to work every day and take his car for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Trading a Qashqai in for a Duster? Only in Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Sure it's the same car underneath :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

boreder wrote: »
    Sure it's the same car underneath :rolleyes:

Actually the Duster uses the Nissan Juke platform:rolleyes:.

But in Ireland, a 131 reg beats an 07 one...what its attached to is irrelivant:rolleyes:

And a new Qashqai is 20 odd grand and a new Duster is 14k or whatever with all the mechanicals coming from the same places.

Yes but a Qashqai is a much better car, and I don't even like those pseudo SUVs! At least the Nissan has a decent safety rating anyway, and regardless of peoples' opinions on the merits or otherwise of a Duster, that is one thing that is certainly a fact - it's safety rating is very poor compared to other new cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I saw a Dacia ad on telly for the first time last night. That Stepway, on first impression, is a nice looking car, much better looking than the other 2 by a distance. The base model will only be £8k stg over here. I reckon they may be a very common sight on the road in the not too distant future.

Edit: Yup, I just had a look at the site, not bad looking at all for a stupid mini SUV thingy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

theteal wrote: »
    I saw a Dacia ad on telly for the first time last night. That Stepway, on first impression, is a nice looking car, much better looking than the other 2 by a distance. The base model will only be £8k stg over here. I reckon they may be a very common sight on the road in the not too distant future.

Edit: Yup, I just had a look at the site, not bad looking at all for a stupid mini SUV thingy

if or when they bring those yokes to this island, some people will give their young to get one if they are even cheaper than the duster.....:pac:

stepway-price-image.jpg

Colm,

Could not wait ny longer for the Dusters to arrive.

Purchased 2 New Mokkas for delivery next week.

Could not listen to any more rumblings back home.

Pity would have liked the Dacia, but family pressures meant moving on.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Best Regards,

Del

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice one, did they work out much more than the duster? I know they start around €20k but did you negotiate a good deal on them? Did you go for white?

The lad in work got a call yesterday from the dealer to say the Duster wouldn't be ready for another week at least and told him to come up to them and they'd give him a loan car in the mean time. He arrived in today in a 12 Megane.

Good customer service I'd say...

Really? Which dealer? The lack of information about the cars arriving is a disaster. The communication from the dealers is terrible. Sold my van thinking i'd have the dacia well by now. Bad call.

Really? Which dealer? The lack of information about the cars arriving is a disaster. The communication from the dealers is terrible. Sold my van thinking i'd have the dacia well by now. Bad call.

Its Blackstone motors in Drogheda.

Now when myself and the lad who's buying it used to work in a garage in Drogheda we did a lot of work for Blackstone when they only started up so they may have been doing a favour, but he didn't ask them for a car or tell them he was stuck for one or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Its Blackstone motors in Drogheda.

Now when myself and the lad who's buying it used to work in a garage in Drogheda we did a lot of work for Blackstone when they only started up so they may have been doing a favour, but he didn't ask them for a car or tell them he was stuck for one or anything.

Although I didn't go ahead with a purchase, at the time (September/October) Joe Mallon motors in Naas said they 'Wouldn't see me stuck for a car' while I was waiting.. That may have just been part of the sales pitch though!

• Advertisement

Anyone get any updates from their dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Le Lapin

No update. Ordered silver Alternative 2 wheel drive spec in October from Joe Mallon's. They are not giving any schedule. Looks bad at this stage. Can't see us getting our hands on them this side of Easter, that's the pessimist in me coming out.

The lad in work got the call yesterday that his(well his wifes) duster would be ready to collect today.

He had organised a set of factory style alloys for it already so it was off with the rubbish looking steel wheels as soon as it arrived.

I have to say, I was impressed with the interior, it looks and feels as good as most of the latest Renaults. The only real signs of 'cheapness' where the manual mirrors, no trim around the inside of the boot and no spare wheel.

Its also got the biggest fuel cap I've ever seen :O

Daciaduster2.jpg

Daciaduster.jpg

Daciaduster3.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well wear, Doc!

Well wear, Doc!

Its not mine...but I'll pass it on:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I thought the RHD models were to have the face lift front end?

I thought the RHD models were to have the face lift front end?

Maybe that's why most other deliveries seem to be delayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Maybe that's why most other deliveries seem to be delayed?

Could be. I specifically remember reading of it as the fresher front end looked a lot better, and the interior shots did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I can't believe there's a market for cars that ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Its not mine...but I'll pass it on:D

What was driving position like?
    Test driving the LHD, I was worried the pedals were too offset by the wheel arch and would be uncomfortable long term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Compton wrote: »

Nissan can't shove the Juke out the factory gates quick enough

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Nissan can't shove the Juke out the factory gates quick enough

True I suppose. But this ones called a 'duster', at least come up with a decent name.

True I suppose. But this ones called a 'duster', at least come up with a decent name.

TBH I went out last July and got my hands on a LHD one and pound for pound it's better than anything in it's class.

It's great value for a private family buyer.

People should go to it with an open mind. It's an A to B car and functional and great at it.

The only people I have met or read talking them down haven't even sat in one

I saw one on french plates earlier this year. The interior looks like the whole thing costs about €50 to make.

But if cheapness is the priority, you could live with it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Compton you seen / driven one in real life?

Compton you seen / driven one in real life?

Read my post.

Its also got the biggest fuel cap I've ever seen :O

This was designed originally for driving in dessert terrain where petrol stations aren't plentiful. The idea is that a canister of fuel sits easily into it

Read my post.

You've seen one with French plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

Daciaduster.jpg

Good news ... However I dig the canevas top JDM 121 on the left :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Can i ask what you drive

ba_barabus wrote: »
    TBH I went out last July and got my hands on a LHD one and pound for pound it's better than anything in it's class.

That's an odd statement. It's not better than anything in it's class. It's the cheapest, yes. But how, exactly, is it better then anything else in it's class?

It's poor safety wise, by modern standards, and in comparison to other vehicles in it's class. Which would be a pretty major factor for me and most others, in buying a new vehicle.

The standard spec is pretty basic, by modern standards, and in comparison to others in it's class - again, this would be pretty important to most people.

It doesn't look particularly nice, in comparison to others in the class, less of a deal breaker, but still pretty important.

I've sat in and driven one, and it's pretty awful in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

That's an odd statement. It's not better than anything in it's class. It's the cheapest, yes. But how, exactly, is it better then anything else in it's class?

It's poor safety wise, by modern standards, and in comparison to other vehicles in it's class. Which would be a pretty major factor for me and most others, in buying a new vehicle.

The standard spec is pretty basic, by modern standards, and in comparison to others in it's class - again, this would be pretty important to most people.

It doesn't look particularly nice, in comparison to others in the class, less of a deal breaker, but still pretty important.

I've sat in and driven one, and it's pretty awful in my opinion.

In fairness the above poster did say "pound for pound". I'd much rather be sitting in one of these than a clio or similar. I think they look quite well tbh, and contain everything I'm looking for, with 2 exceptions - safety rating (the reason I'm not going to buy one) and the seats. They're pretty uncomfortable after a while

In fairness the above poster did say "pound for pound". I'd much rather be sitting in one of these than a clio or similar. I think they look quite well tbh, and contain everything I'm looking for, with 2 exceptions - safety rating (the reason I'm not going to buy one) and the seats. They're pretty uncomfortable after a while

'Pound for Pound' doesn't mean the cheapest is the best.

I guess it's subjective, to a certain point. I wouldn't consider the Duster suitable for myself, at all, regardless of the price, due to the points I mentioned above.

My criteria for 'pound for pound' best would be a car with an excellent safety rating, good/reasonable spec and decent looks, for a relative price.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

'Pound for Pound' doesn't mean the cheapest is the best.

I guess it's subjective, to a certain point. I wouldn't consider the Duster suitable for myself, at all, regardless of the price, due to the points I mentioned above.

My criteria for 'pound for pound' best would be a car with an excellent safety rating, good/reasonable spec and decent looks, for a relative price.

Do you not actually understand what pound for pound means or where it comes from?

copacetic wrote: »
    Do you not actually understand what pound for pound means or where it comes from?

Well, its a term used predominantly in boxing, but if you were to take it's meaning in that context, the statement is even more laughable.

It would mean that it's the best car available, regardless of class, taking in some standard 'score' system based on several points you'd look for in a car. Such as safety, drive quality, price, looks, etc.

It's really not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

What would be a better option, brand new for €15k?

What would be a better option, brand new for €15k?

I would rather a Fiesta. At least that has a proper safety rating and essential things like ESP as standard. Plus, it will be a lot nicer to look at and to drive. Even within Renault's stable, I'd rather a brand new Clio, again a car with a proper safety rating and ESP.

If I wanted a pseudo SUV, I'd go for a used Skoda Yeti or else a Qashqai.

#Nissan Doctor

Nice to finally see evidence of a Duster being actually in the country!! (131 plate). Dealers seem very sketchy when giving out any details! Is that the 4X4 version? Just curious, i was told the 4x4 were the only one's to arrive in January and the rest would be late march at the earliest. But that silver duster looks like the two wheel drive model?

That's an odd statement. It's not better than anything in it's class. It's the cheapest
    I never said it was better.

I said pound for pound I felt it was better.

Go price a similar new Qashqui and see what I mean. You are looking at a difference of 7-10k euro. If someone needs a new family wagon that fits all the kids, has a good reliability record (in Europe), has lots of space, proven drivetrain and is a no-nonsense vehicle it fits the bill.

I very much doubt a Fiesta of similar price will take 3 car seats and all the kids luggage in the boot.

I see it's short comings but I think the price outweighs these. It's a car which allows families get a new car which otherwise they could not afford. Of course you could buy a 3 years old Qashqai for similar money but then you'd have no warranty and be worrying about a lot of used diesel issues which start cropping up at that age.

I never said it was the best however but when you are looking at the bottom line nothing comes even close to it in it's class. Then again if you just don't like it I understand that too but there is no need to rubbish it without good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

#Nissan Doctor

Nice to finally see evidence of a Duster being actually in the country!! (131 plate). Dealers seem very sketchy when giving out any details! Is that the 4X4 version? Just curious, i was told the 4x4 were the only one's to arrive in January and the rest would be late march at the earliest. But that silver duster looks like the two wheel drive model?

That's the Alternative model, so a 2WD.
    Also 4WD models have a specific sticker on the back (well mainland versions like the Luxembourgish versions avail for test drive)

• Advertisement
Advertisement