Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dacia Duster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've been told that the RHD Duster will not be getting a revised front grille as that is for models badged as Renaults in other RHD markets such as India. Just in case anyone is wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I've been told that the RHD Duster will not be getting a revised front grille as that is for models badged as Renaults in other RHD markets such as India. Just in case anyone is wondering

Not so sure who brought that up, but imho, there was never any intention to get a facelift grill. Just the interior which is upmarket compared to LHD European models.

Lutecia wrote: »
    Not so sure who brought that up, but imho, there was never any intention to get a facelift grill. Just the interior which is upmarket compared to LHD European models.

I had read it in various places and it was mentioned by someone after ND's pictures went up yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

I never said it was better.

I said pound for pound I felt it was better.

Go price a similar new Qashqui and see what I mean. You are looking at a difference of 7-10k euro. If someone needs a new family wagon that fits all the kids, has a good reliability record (in Europe), has lots of space, proven drivetrain and is a no-nonsense vehicle it fits the bill.

I very much doubt a Fiesta of similar price will take 3 car seats and all the kids luggage in the boot.

I see it's short comings but I think the price outweighs these. It's a car which allows families get a new car which otherwise they could not afford. Of course you could buy a 3 years old Qashqai for similar money but then you'd have no warranty and be worrying about a lot of used diesel issues which start cropping up at that age.

I never said it was the best however but when you are looking at the bottom line nothing comes even close to it in it's class. Then again if you just don't like it I understand that too but there is no need to rubbish it without good reason.

You said it was pound for pound, better than anything in it's class. It's not. It's just the cheapest. Just because you can't get another car for same money, doesn't mean that it's the best 'pound for pound' or value-for-money car in the class. It's just the cheapest.

If you were in Tesco, and there was a shrivelled up potato for 50 cent, or a nice fresh one for a euro - which is the best value for money?

I'm not saying the Duster is a shrivelled up potato, I'm just saying that cheapest is not always 'best'

You're talking about three child seats, then brushing off the poor safety rating in favour of the price. That, in my mind, is crazy.

boreder wrote: »
    You said it was pound for pound, better than anything in it's class. It's not.
    Name one new car that's better at the price level.

BTW we're not talking about the cost of dried up old vegetables. We're talking thousands and the difference between a finance acceptance and refusal for a lot of private buyers.

The Fiesta comparison was in relation to a later post regarding someone saying they would prefer a Fiesta at that price point.

May I ask if you have driven a Duster? (Apologies, I see back you have seen one with a French plate and later you claim to have been in and driven one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Name one car that's better at the price level.

a secondhand bmw x5 (you never said it had to be new) :D

MidlandsM wrote: »
    a secondhand bmw x5 (you never said it had to be new) :D

Most family buyers couldn't run one though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

WIZE wrote: »
    Can i ask what you drive

Opel Corsa OPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Lutecia wrote: »
    Good news ... However I dig the canevas top JDM 121 on the left :cool:

The Autozam Revue to be exact:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,494 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find the safety rating of these new Dacias a bit of a worry. Am surprised at renault and all their tally-ho about Euro Ncap 5 Star ratings yet their own budget brand does not recieve the same treatment.
    3 stars is not great nowadays and to me at least says corners have been cut to keep the price down somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mfitzy wrote: »
    I find the safety rating of these new Dacias a bit of a worry. Am surprised at renault and all their tally-ho about Euro Ncap 5 Star ratings yet their own budget brand does not recieve the same treatment.
    3 stars is not great nowadays and to me at least says corners have been cut to keep the price down somewhere.

As has been said before. There are a lot of cars that would get 3 stars on the new ncap test except they were tested on the old system.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As has been said before. There are a lot of cars that would get 3 stars on the new ncap test except they were tested on the old system.

Oh OK I didn't read thread fully (too long and me too lazy!!). I know they are dropping points for not having ESP and stuff so I guess that didn't help.
    Structurally are they performing well in the tests?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mfitzy wrote: »
    Oh OK I didn't read thread fully (too long and me too lazy!!). I know they are dropping points for not having ESP and stuff so I guess that didn't help.
    Structurally are they performing well in the tests?

Not great, but not terrible, but the side impact looks painful.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/dacia/duster/2011/421.aspx

OK so we are not talking a Rover Metro/100 type disaster/disintegration!

Door pushed off it's frame in the frontal. In the better cars now usually possible to open the door almost as normal.

In the side not very impressive, the side airbags redeem things somewhat but there is alot of intrusion into the cabin from the pillar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

tf2 wrote: »
    #Nissan Doctor

Nice to finally see evidence of a Duster being actually in the country!! (131 plate). Dealers seem very sketchy when giving out any details! Is that the 4X4 version? Just curious, i was told the 4x4 were the only one's to arrive in January and the rest would be late march at the earliest. But that silver duster looks like the two wheel drive model?

Its a 2wd model. He ordered it late last summer when I mentioned they were coming to Ireland. He may have got an early model which could be different to the 'Irish' spec models that will be widely sold or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

I was told on Friday the 4wd Duster I ordered was on its way to my dealer and should be ready in 2 or 3 days. That was going on 6 days ago. Losing patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

has anyone tried buying up north yet, my father-in-law has looked around, and, with the help of a dealer, has got one, signature 4Wd, for €19k, imported with vat paid, and a tow bar.

*edit, spelling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The Duster has a crap safety rating ...

Qashqui :- adult safety = 5 stars, child safety = 4 stars, Pedestrian safety = 2 stars, Safety assist (ESC etc) = 5 stars. Over all 5 stars awarded

Duster :- adult safety = 4 stars (6% off 5 stars) child safety = 4 stars (2% off 5 stars), pedestrian safety = 2 stars, safety assist = 2 stars (solely down to lack of ESC on basic model) yet it does have ABS as standard. Over all 3 stars awarded.

Yes the Duster is obviously a death trap ... :rolleyes:

The Duster has a crap safety rating ...

Qashqui :- adult safety = 5 stars, child safety = 4 stars, Pedestrian safety = 2 stars, Safety assist (ESC etc) = 5 stars. Over all 5 stars awarded

Duster :- adult safety = 4 stars (6% off 5 stars) child safety = 4 stars (2% off 5 stars), pedestrian safety = 2 stars, safety assist = 2 stars (solely down to lack of ESC on basic model) yet it does have ABS as standard. Over all 3 stars awarded.

Yes the Duster is obviously a death trap ... :rolleyes:

Indeed but 5 Stars is the norm these days and if a car dips below this questions are asked, rightly or wrongly. Funnily enough it was Dacia's parent Renault that were first to have most of their range reach 5 Stars.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Indeed but 5 Stars is the norm these days and if a car dips below this questions are asked, rightly or wrongly. Funnily enough it was Dacia's parent Renault that were first to have most of their range reach 5 Stars.

In one way correct and I take the point but some on here are virtually branding the car a death trap with out, I think, fully understanding what the ratings mean. Dismissing it on the 3 Star NCAP rating which is quite misleading is slightly foolish.

The point is there is very little difference between the actual practical real world safety of the Duster and the Qashqui with the main difference that the Qashqui has ESC (Electronic Stability Control). If you up grade on the Duster you can get it also and you will still be saving on the price of a New Qashqui. The Quahqui has other extra safety features too but they actually do not make much more difference, especially for internal safety. For instance even with Air bags in the rear it does not better the Duster for Child Safety. People can talk about all the extras they want but if they don't make any major difference what's the point. And it is because of the lack of these extras why the duster is so cheap.

What people need to realise is that you are no better off in a crashed Qashqui than a crashed Duster. And I have yet to have an accident because my car did not has ESC.

If people are upgrading to a Duster then more than lightly their current car does not have ESC. Most midrange Main brand cars over 5 yearsold probably don't have it. I'm only commenting as there seems to be a lot of wanton comments being made on the safety aspect of the Duster which are to be honest way over the top. I think people researching such a car deserve fair object comments on the Duster rather than scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GranGruba

Cars on way apparently - should hit Baldonnel Tuesday - some at least.

How long from Baldonnel to dealer to customer????

Believe VRT offices are on a few weeks backlog - is this going to delay things????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I thought ESP is mandatory from this or next year by the EU on new cars as its proven to save lifes. I wouldnt buy a new car without it tbh, it could well save your life.

Yep a quick check on wiki confirms it will be mandatory shortly -"According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could have been prevented by the technology"

Mandatory on "new" models which means new to production. Technically the duster is not as it is in production since 2010 ish. You can get it on an upgraded model though.

Just in regards to ESC this would be a must driving in the states as they have a real winter climate that ESC would be of major benefit and comes into it's own in snowy and icy conditions. One of the main benefits of ESC is it prevents fish tailing. I would not be overly worried about such conditions in Ireland as even when we do get snow and ice the traffic travels at about 10 miles an hour anyway :lol:

GranGruba wrote: »
    Cars on way apparently - should hit Baldonnel Tuesday - some at least.

How long from Baldonnel to dealer to customer????

Believe VRT offices are on a few weeks backlog - is this going to delay things????

I got my Duster on the 2nd of Feb. Apparently it was in the country on the 3rd of Jan and held up by VRT and customs for 4 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

tf2 wrote: »

I got my Duster on the 2nd of Feb. Apparently it was in the country on the 3rd of Jan and held up by VRT and customs for 4 weeks

How are you finding the duster? Like it much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

why baldonnal ?

pat25c wrote: »
    why baldonnal ?

Not sure - just know a guy who drives a car transporter and he said he had dusters on his run this week from Newcastle to arrive at Baldonnel on Tuesday.

More prizes for the Duster ... this is fast becoming a huge hit and the UK valuations state that it will hold it's value just as well if not better than a Qashqui which is a huge selling point for Nissan.

Carbuyer car of the year
    “Smart buy” car brand Dacia is proving yet again that its not just the great British public who are falling in love with its new cars, the Press are too. Having already chalked up seven awards, its latest celebrations come on the back of a hat-trick of trophies, including Car of the Year, at the CarBuyer Car of the Year 2013 awards.

The “shockingly affordable” brand won the acclaimed CarBuyer Buyer’s Award for introducing the UK to a fresh, no-nonsense way of buying a new car. And, its flagship Duster, Laureate, scooped the 4x4 of the Year, before adding polish to a sparkling treble with the main prize for overall Car of the Year 2013.
    The online buyer's guide was blown away by Duster’s “sensational value”, with prices starting at just £8,995, and claimed Dacia was just what the country needed in today’s ultra-competitive and long stagnant new car market.

CarBuyer’s editor-in-chief Steve Fowler said: “The Dacia Duster is an impressive car at any price, but at the price Dacia dares to sell it, it’s sensational value. It drives nicely, has bags of space and has the looks that SUV buyers crave. It makes every other car look expensive. A Car of the Year is a model that genuinely shifts the goalposts in its category – the Dacia Duster reinvents the game.”

Dacia only launched officially in UK Retailers in January, but its recipe of making an enemy of the unnecessary, offering a simple range of cleverly designed, well-built and frugal cars is already going down a storm with British buyers. To the tune of nearly 5,000 orders already for just its first two models. Two other models, Sandero Stepway, the UK’s “most affordable crossover” and as yet unspecified world debut for the Geneva motor show in Switzerland on 5th March, join the range in the next few months too, offering even more choice, but equally great value.

Prices are clear and straightforward, whether you buy online or at nationwide retailers, with the cars unashamedly favouring function over frivolity, just as its current TV ad campaign says.
    Steve added: “Car buyers may be struggling to pronounce the name Dacia, but they’re not struggling to come to terms with the no nonsense, no haggle approach to buying. Today’s car buyers want good value more than ever – that’s exactly what Dacia is delivering.”

Duster’s muscular design is both rugged and protective, suited to both off-road and urban driving. Those seeking to add a personal touch can also choose from a wide selection of accessories, including chrome styling bars and wheelarch extenders.

Dubbed the “most affordable new car to buy” in the UK, stablemate Sandero supermini has also just been introduced to receptive British motorists with a price tag from only £5,995, while the Sandero Stepway follows in May from £7,995. They all offer a whole lot of car, for not a lot of money and explain why Dacia has been the fastest growing car brand in Europe since 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think I sow one of these the other day. Black one. I did not copped on what it was as the front grill/lights were all over the place. Only when I passed it I remembered Dacia.
    Would love to know sale figures in Ireland so far. Will it become "people wagon" in Ireland.

More prizes for the Duster ... this is fast becoming a huge hit and the UK valuations state that it will hold it's value just as well if not better than a Qashqui which is a huge selling point for Nissan.

Carbuyer car of the year

Is Stepway available here yet or when will it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

I think I sow one of these the other day. Black one. I did not copped on what it was as the front grill/lights were all over the place. Only when I passed it I remembered Dacia.
    Would love to know sale figures in Ireland so far. Will it become "people wagon" in Ireland.

61 sold YTD - 54 in Jan and 7 in Feb (though not sure if Feb figures are finalised yet ?)
    http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats/?sYear%5B%5D=2013&sYear%5B%5D=&sRegType=1&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMonth%5B%5D=&sMake%5B%5D=Dacia&sRange%5B%5D=DUSTER&x=30&y=3

How are you finding the duster? Like it much?

Very impressed with it. Turned out to be a great buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I checked Carzone and cheapest one is 16k eu... Lets add the bullshiet taxes and other stuff that dealer did not mentioned in price and it can be around 17k eu. Is that really such a good deal here in Ireland?
    For how much did boardies got it here? In UK 9k £ looks like really amazing value. Its around 11k eu, but here?

You need to compare like with like.

To pay the minimum all you need to do is pay the asking price for the standard white model and delivery charges which is associated with virtually all new cars sold in Ireland and that is it full stop. This price includes a 3 year warranty. Dilevery is advertised as "Not to exceed €600"

Also remember in Ireland the entry level Duster is a Diesel and the trim level is equal to the UKs second level entry which is the Ambiance and that retails at £11,495. The entry level model in the UK is called the Access and is only available in the less powerful 1.6 Petrol engine and does not even have a stereo installed as standard and has plain steel wheels etc

So what you need to compare is the second level Diesel Uk version which works out at around €13300 with our entry level version which will bring the prices much closer but will still be more expensive. However because of our VRT :mad:. and according to the Revenue site this is over €4000 so if you buy in the UK and then pay vrt you will end up paying more !!!!! VRT is a fact of life in all Irish cars.

And after next year there will be another €1000ish of VRT on the price from the last budget but this will also affect all other similar vehicles probably next year as most seem to be trying to absorb it this year.

The other possible payment is delivery which is pretty much standard with all new cars of all makes .... again :mad:

This of course should be part of the selling price as is legally required in the UK but no not here ... these sort of charges ARE very frustrating :mad: :mad: :mad: but that's another story. These charges seem to be standard across the industry too so an advertised price of any car will have this lurking in the back ground. This is probably something you can haggle about though.

Are you saying that the Duster is actually cheap in Ireland ? :D
    I just had a quick look in the French website and here is what I found:
    Duster Ambiance dCi 110 = 15350€
    + Radio CD 290€
    + Fog lights 150€
    Total 15790, so just 200€ cheaper than in Ireland.
    Now if you consider the VAT is just 19.6% in France, and that there is no VRT there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

anyone get a delivery yet or do we all get ours at the end of March?

anyone get a delivery yet or do we all get ours at the end of March?

Dealer replied to an email from me earlier this week to say mine will be 3rd week of march.

Got a call this AM from a friend who drives a car transporter and he says they are bringing in lots of Dusters at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I hope you lot get your Dustbins soon so this thread can be put down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Finally saw one in the wild - Black 131 C Reg in Cork City this morning, looks good, very tempted to order one for July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Finally saw one in the wild - Black 131 C Reg in Cork City this morning, looks good, very tempted to order one for July.

I've seen the same one alright around Douglas. Looks decent from behind but it would have been much nicer had they put the face lift front end on it.

how many people here are expecting their Dacia Duster in March besides me ?
    Mine should arrive in Naas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

They were showing them in Mahon Point Cork recently but I didn't take much notice.
    Must have a look the next time I'm passing a garage.

Reminds me of a Kia "Mentor" I had back in the day.
    No one had a Kia back then but it never let me down for the few years I had it.
    To be honest the Duster don't look half bad from the outside but the inside shows where the saving have been made.
    Only judging from pictures I must say.
    However who's going to argue with the price.

how many people here are expecting their Dacia Duster in March besides me ?
    Mine should arrive in Naas

Been told 3rd week of March.........which by my reckoning is next week......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saw a load on the back of a Truck heading towards Dublin on Saturday. Must be coming in from NI, then down to Dublin for distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I passed three transporters of Dusters heading down the M1 last week so I imagine they'll get delivered soon.

Zcott wrote: »
    I passed three transporters of Dusters heading down the M1 last week so I imagine they'll get delivered soon.

It must be an invasion :eek:
    I thought we had enough Dumpsters here already :)

Zcott wrote: »

Did you see my one on the truck

It is white with 4 wheels

Did you see my one on the truck

It is white with 4 wheels

Was that the one with the steel wheels & the cross ply tyres ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

i rang dennahey motors in limrick today & they say that the dusters are in newcastle waiting to be moved over here so hopfully we should have them in the next week or so.

Advertisement