Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is songwriting overrated?

• 12-08-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I don't mean this in a general sense, obviously it is great to be able to write a fantastic song and the writer should always have some level of recognition for that huge contribution. I am talking in the context of how many performers are criticized for not writing their most well-known songs.

Suspicious Minds was originally a commercial flop when it was released by its writer Mark James, but the following year it was covered by Elvis and became a classic. People have since said that no one can perform the song like Elvis, albeit the fact it was Mark's composition.

The same way numerous artists over the years had their best songs written for them, but its their delivery that made the song a classic. Taking the likes of Robbie Williams Angels, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Tom Jones Sex Bomb, the list goes on. Even Oasis' Noel Gallagher admitted that it was Liam's version of Wonderwall that made the song an anthem, and the original version with Noel singing was to be a B-Side.

I am not saying popularity determines artistic ability, but a lot of people do say a song must be truly great if it can touch so many people, and so many people can have their own ideas of what the song is about. And that is the beauty of art really, that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

What's left to discuss? You nailed it in your penultimate sentence.

I think one person could write a song but it doesn't mean they could perform it as good as a performer could, both are equally great in their own right at what they do but its when a person can do both that its really great. Just cause someone doesn't write their own music doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do which is performing. You could 10 different performances of the same great song but one one will be outstanding.

Advertisement