Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

olympians coming home

• 12-08-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Seems to be some confusion about when there will be a celebration ect. Anyone ib the know? Where when what's happening ect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Bray is to welcome home our Olympic heroes with a huge ceremony and concert on the seafront on Monday night, August 13.

Bray Town Council has urged fans to ‘Get out and Shout’ one more time as it announced its programme of events to welcome Olympic heroes Katie and Garda Adam Nolan.

An open-top bus will make its way from 4pmto the bandstand on Bray’s seafront where Katie and Adam will be presented tothe audience.

Fans will be entertained with live music followed by a massive fireworks display at 9.30pm.

Programme of events:

3.00pm – Live music begins on Bray Bandstand

4.00pm – Open-top bus departs

5.00pm – Bus arrives at Bray Seafront

5.00pm - Event opened

5.05pm - Welcome home our Olympic Team

5.30pm – Live music restarts

9.30pm – Fireworks

Bray Town Council have advised that anyone planning on attending this event should take public transport where possible.

There will be traffic restrictions on Strand Road and this road will closed to traffic from 1pm along with Meath Road, with local access only.

There will be limited parking available in Bray ahead of this event in the following locations: Florence Road, HerbertRoad, Carlisle Grounds (Quinsboro Road) and St Thomas' School (Novara Avenue).

Ten thousand people from all over Ireland gathered in Bray on Thursday to watch Katie add Olympic gold to her four world and five European championship tiles to her list of achievements.

http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2012/8/2500/katie-and-adam,-bray-home-coming-party-details-announced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

foxy06 wrote: »
    Seems to be some confusion about when there will be a celebration ect. Anyone ib the know? Where when what's happening ect.

Quite a bit of confusion alright. As you can see from post#2 the fireworks were due to begin at 9:30pm on Bray sea front/ Monday night, this was also advertised during the day on RTE, so we arrived at Bray seafront at 9:28, (just in the nick of time we thought), and as we arrived sure enough there was the 1st rocket of the night, well actually no, it wasn't the 1st, it was the last firework of the night (time check 9:29pm).

They had started the display about ten minutes early I guess :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

LordSutch wrote: »
    Quite a bit of confusion alright. As you can see from post#2 the fireworks were due to begin at 9:30pm on Bray sea front/ Monday night, this was also advertised during the day on RTE, so we arrived at Bray seafront at 9:28, (just in the nick of time we thought), and as we arrived sure enough there was the 1st rocket of the night, well actually no, it wasn't the 1st, it was the last firework of the night (time check 9:29pm).

They had started the display about ten minutes early I guess :cool:

I reckon RTE asked them to move it forward 10 minutes so the 9 O'Clock news could go to Bray Live before the end of the programme at 9:30pm. The Fireworks looked great on the Telly (As they did from my Garden too) Combine that with the special broadcast earlier (with commentary and panel pundits too) and I think Bray really put its best foot forward today. Credit to the organisers and all those in attendance. The vista from the cameras at the bandstand looking south over the crowds with Bray Head in the background and clear blue skies looked fabulous. The MC Des Cahill said he's done most of these types of events and he'd never seen anything like it.

Its all up on RtePlayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Calibos wrote: »
    I reckon RTE asked them to move it forward 10 minutes so the 9 O'Clock news could go to Bray Live before the end of the programme at 9:30pm.

Oh I don't doubt that, and I came to the same conclusion myself last night, but it was annoying for all those cars/families arriving for the fireworks display "advertised for 9:30pm" but which actually finished at 9:30 . . .

We'll look it up on the RTE player as you suggest.

Advertisement