Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to change Sterling?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

I've around £100 that I want to change to Euros. I can go to any of the banks, although AIB is who I'm with (student account).

Which is the best? Do An Post offer the same service?

Do all branches even let you exchange money this way, or do they just let you buy Sterling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All of the banks and the post office buy and sell sterling and US dollars. If you check their websites you can usually find the exchange rates but they will probably change each morning so not much point checking on a Sunday evening.

The Post office makes a big deal about not charging commission but at the end of the day it's the actual exchange rate that matters most though for only £100 you might be better to avoid commission. Shop around and see who offers the best rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have An Post recently started buying STG? The last time I tried (maybe 4/5 months ago) they told me they only sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Random wrote: »
    Have An Post recently started buying STG? The last time I tried (maybe 4/5 months ago) they told me they only sold it.

Apologies, you are correct. In fact they don't buy dollars either, they only sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Checked with local AIB and they will exchange it. Forgot to ask them do they take coins, I'm guessing they don't but if anyone here can confirm? Only reason I ask is I may as well use it to round-up the cash if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They generally don't accept coins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement