Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticking point on Bench

• 12-08-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm looking for some advice here.

I weigh 67kg now (put on 2kg in previous 2 months).

I am benching only 67.5kg (usually for 5 sets of 5 reps), squatting 90kg for 3 x 7, and DL 115kg for 3 x 7.

I appreciate that these weights are poor. I know that Squat can be gotten to 100kg easily enough when I get used to the additional 10kg on my back. Similarly, I've done 145kg DL before (for low reps).

I think that I'm prone to flaring my elbows too much but am unable to get them to side in the 40-60deg range that I've seen online as being recommended optimum position.

How can I get around this problem? I try to acknowledge my elbow position, but I'm getting nowhere. I've been stuck at 67.5kg for years now and am getting frustrated and unmotivated by the lack of progress.

My desire is to eventually get to 90kg bench. However, I'm so far away from it that it is not even funny. So, as an intermediate goal, I would like to get to 5 x 3 @75kg.

I normally train with a standard bench press and then incline press. I've done dumbell presses, and a few variations on the db press. However, nothing has moved me on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just been re-reading through lean gains and I noticed the following:
    Within two years of consistent training on a decent routine, the average male should be able to progress to the following levels of strength (1RM):

Strength Goals: Intermediate

Bench press: body weight x 1.2
    Chin-ups or pull-ups: body weight x 1.2 or 8 reps with body weight.
    Squat: body weight x 1.6
    Deadlift: body weight x 2

These numbers are for a raw (no straps, belt or knee wraps) single repetition.

@67kg, this means I need to do the following:

Bench: 72kg
    Squat: 107kg
    DL: 134kg
    Chin ups - can do this one already :)

I've modifived my diet and altered my routine. TBH one rep max is not something I really bother with. Although I think I could do the DL and bench. Might not look pretty though, but they'd be moving!

Under the exact same conditions as the previous example, 3 out of 4 of the following goals should be reached within five years, along with all of the strength goals listed under "intermediate":

Bench press: body weight x 1.5
    Chin-ups or pull-ups: body weight x 1.5 or 15 reps with body weight.
    Squat: body weight x 2
    Deadlift: body weight x 2.5[/quote]

For me this equates to:

Bench: 100.5kg
    Chins: when I'm fresh I could manage 12 probably.
    Squat: 134kg
    DL: 167.5kg

Now, I'm nowhere near any of these and I doubt that I'd be comfortable even attempting to squat 134kg regardless!

However, one thing I've just realised to my embarassment - I'm training to increase muscle mass - not strength. Might that explain the difference?

Sorry, if my posts are frustrating folk on here. I did try to get a personal trainer to help me but the one at my gym was too busy. Hence I'm trying to do this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

change sets and reps if you've stalled, there is lots on-line, but the 531 program is great for busting through plateaus.

ive used 10x3 @ 85% 1rm, and 14x1 @ 90% 1rm to break sticking points on lifts in the past, see chad waterburys write ups on them.

linky

linky2

some bench tips here by dave tate that helped me :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krvj3HgYlVc&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just discovered tonight by accident what I think might be the issue (or at least part of it).

I noticed that when I was gripping the bar I held it out in the palm of my hand meaning that the weight of the bar was not going directly down through my forearm.

I altered the grip so that the bar is resting on part between the palm and wrist. This is directly over the forearm.

For the first time in gaes I felt my chest muscles and on my side (over ribs) when doing the chest press.

I can only think that the issue was due to my gym moving from the thick diameter oly bars to the thinner diameter bars which seem to have a greater inclination to roll my wrists when performing certain exercises.

Hmmm - sound feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

Just discovered tonight by accident what I think might be the issue (or at least part of it).

I noticed that when I was gripping the bar I held it out in the palm of my hand meaning that the weight of the bar was not going directly down through my forearm.

I altered the grip so that the bar is resting on part between the palm and wrist. This is directly over the forearm.

For the first time in gaes I felt my chest muscles and on my side (over ribs) when doing the chest press.

I can only think that the issue was due to my gym moving from the thick diameter oly bars to the thinner diameter bars which seem to have a greater inclination to roll my wrists when performing certain exercises.

Hmmm - sound feasible?

yes it does:)

Advertisement