Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downgrade to iOS 4

• 12-08-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have been looking around here and google but am very confused. My question is can my factory unlocked 3GS be downgraded from iOS 5.1.1 to any lower iOS. The phone is running very slow and I would sacrifice any of the benefits of the later os for the speed of the phone when I bought it. The phone has not been previously jailbroken. From my searching it seems I'm out of luck but I live in hope of the clever people here knowing of a solution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

nope sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Thanks for the reply guil. I'll go away and cry now over my slow phone. Ah well have to wait for iPhone 5 and then my son can complain about how slow this one is lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sometimes a clean restore can do the world of good on a 3gs if its slow after an update
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/15/iphone-or-ipad-running-slow-after-installing-ios-5-heres-how-to-fix-the-speed/

If your device is jailbroken you can disable lots of the features which you dont need which should improve performance
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/speed-up-your-ios-device-by-removing-launch-daemons-background-processes.364957/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Oops, I have just read that your phone was not previously jb so ignore the below.

YES YOU CAN. But...
    You need to have had the phone jb when you were on the ios version you want to downgrade to.

If that is the case, the blobls are saved on cydia, so you can jb now and downgrade using tiny umbrella.

I hope you did jb, otherwise you would be using 30% of the capacity of the phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Same problem with the ipad 1. Wish I'd never updated to ios 5. It's just so slow now that I hardly ever use it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

gzoladz wrote: »
    Oops, I have just read that your phone was not previously jb so ignore the below.

YES YOU CAN. But...
    You need to have had the phone jb when you were on the ios version you want to downgrade to.

If that is the case, the blobls are saved on cydia, so you can jb now and downgrade using tiny umbrella.

I hope you did jb, otherwise you would be using 30% of the capacity of the phone :)
    I know you've corrected yourself already but thats. It always true either. Say someone had a 3GS on 4.3.3 and decided to jailbreak after ios 5 was released. They couldn't save the shsh blobs for 4.3.3 if apple weren't signing the firmware anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Same problem with the ipad 1. Wish I'd never updated to ios 5. It's just so slow now that I hardly ever use it anymore.

My ipad 1 is running ios 5.1 and its perfect but hear lots of complaints admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

guil wrote: »
    I know you've corrected yourself already but thats. It always true either. Say someone had a 3GS on 4.3.3 and decided to jailbreak after ios 5 was released. They couldn't save the shsh blobs for 4.3.3 if apple weren't signing the firmware anymore

Very true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are a few ways to speed up a 3gs a small bit.
    Turn off icloud
    Disable spotlight
    Google

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give them a shot and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement