Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attorney claims U.S. Government sent him time travelling to 18th century Gettysburg

• 12-08-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone read the following story, or not, already (it was reported back in April, but I only saw it myself now), but it's about an American attorney named Andrew D. Basiago who claims that, in 1972, the U.S. government sent him back to 18th-century Gettysburg, during the era of Abraham Lincoln, using a time travel machine.

He said that he was even captured in a photograph of Lincoln, who was giving a speech in Gettysburg in 1863. Basiago said he also visited - again, thanks to time travel - the theatre where Lincoln was assassinated on the very same night as many as six times. He describes the whole time travel experience as being present in slightly different alternative realities (presumably on separate occasions, though he does say that he ran into himself - a double - on one journey) on adjacent timelines.

According to Basiago, some kind of holographic technology developed by the government enabled this time travel.

What do the rest of you think of it all? I was having some 'Back To The Future' film flashbacks, ha, ha. :)

Here's the rest of the article, accompanied by a video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/28/andrew-basiago-seattle-attorney-time-travels_n_1438216.html

On top of all that, Basiago says he knew all about 9/11 decades before it happened after seeing the event on film, or something. You'd think he would have said something, ffs.

Video here featuring a radio interview with Basiago, preceded by some bloke talking about Santiago:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭maccored

his name is Andrew D. Basiago

im going to chance my arm and see if we can get him on taps family radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Let us know if you do get him on, I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Surely if that was true the US would want to "silence" him! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He describes the whole time travel experience as being present in slightly different alternative realities (presumably on separate occasions, though he does say that he ran into himself - a double - on one journey) on adjacent timelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

maccored wrote: »
    his name is Andrew D. Basiago

Let me take out the world's smallest violin to play the world's saddest tune at the loss of the 'D'.

Let me take out the world's smallest violin to play the world's saddest tune at the loss of the 'D'.

you said Andrew D. Santiago, not Andrew D. Basiago. Sorry to ruin the whole D joke you had going there ....

maccored wrote: »
    you said Andrew D. Santiago, not Andrew D. Basiago. Sorry to ruin the whole D joke you had going there ....

Oh yeah, sorry. Dunno where I got 'Santiago' from.

Ah no, don't worry - you haven't ruined my D joke at all. It was missing and now it's found, so all's well that ends well.

its a bit more like the extra t and n plus the missing b ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

all he was short was the Delorean ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

was abe lincoln not a 19th century president ?

It's hard to take what he's saying seriously with such bad quality video - you can hear one passerby telling another what's happening, at which point the interviewer and the interviewee had to shush them.

Owryan wrote: »
    was abe lincoln not a 19th century president ?

I'm not 100% sure. I vaguely remember being told by a teacher ages ago that, if a date within a century was either at or beyond the 50-year mark, that would mean it becomes the next century by name alone. E.g. it's 1573, so we (might?) say that that's the 16th century.

It seems to only apply to centuries before the 20th century though. I mean, when it was, say, 1973, then that was still called the 20th century.

I could be totally wrong here. I find it a bit confusing, tbh. :confused:

According to Wikipedia, the 19th century is from 1801-1900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I'm not 100% sure. I vaguely remember being told by a teacher ages ago that, if a date within a century was either at or beyond the 50-year mark, that would mean it becomes the next century by name alone.

Never believe a teacher! :p

A century begins on the first year (eg. 1701) and ends on the 100th year (not the 99th). So 1701-1800 is in the 18th century, 1801-1900 is in the 19th century.
    Thus, Lincoln was a 19th century president.

As for the time travel story, why would they send that guy back? And send him back to the one date so often that he bumped into a copy of himself?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So the American government can time travel and yet we still end up with the world (including the us economy) in a depression, 911 still happened, and they've had more man made fcuk ups in the last 40 years than you can shake a stick at? I don't think so. I think yer man might have had a bit too much flower power back in '72.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I wouldn't have classed time travel as paranormal maybe technology or something but I guess its out of the normal range of things.....anyways I remember reading a few years back that scientists in oz had successfully transported a apple across the room,could be the same tech...

Oryx, I know what you mean about the shambolic incidents that were 'allowed' to occur in the U.S. despite the apparent existence, and obvious potential usefulness, of time travel. That's what I would think as well ordinarily but, increasingly (and more recently), I have honestly been thinking that things like 9/11 and the faltering economy have been anything but accidental.

I'm probably getting into loony 'Jim Corr territory' here (and I used to waste no time in taking the piss out of conspiracy theorists like him), but I think all of those 'negative events' were carefully orchestrated and timed strategically by (currently anonymous) people behind, and outside of, the U.S. government. Members of the U.S. Senate most likely don't even know, or know about, these people, such are they oblivious puppets on strings. I think that the overall purpose of fcuking up USA (and, subsequently, many other countries, given Wall Street's far-reaching influence), is to weaken the population - financially and then physically and emotionally - to make them more dependent on, and subordinate to, the government. We could be looking at a cashless society in the next 30 years, replaced by a system where each person is fitted with some sort of microchip; almost as if everyone has a barcode printed on the backs of their necks and, instead of having to show physical I.D. when, say, flying somewhere, their DNA is literally scanned instead.

Wading into even crazier waters now, those of a decidedly more 'New Age' mindset would hypothesise that a person's DNA is an interface with their spiritual body and, so, would argue that bureaucratic autonomy over that DNA structure, e.g. having the authority to scan it to 'identify' people from day to day, almost gives them control over the person's soul in a sense...

Now, I'm sure all of that sounds completely bonkers and laughable, but that's what I think of it all. If, indeed, the U.S. government had 'foresaw' atrocities like 9/11 after using time travel back in the '70s, they may have also observed the alternate, adjacent timelines that that guy Basiago mentioned, and saw what the potential outcomes could be, which they could later pick and choose. Maybe.

I saw some other guy, a physicist named Dr. David L. Anderson (FYI, a knowledgeable person once told me that almost all Freemasons have a sole, isolated letter before their surname - food for thought..), came forward in 2009, also claiming that the U.S. government has developed time travel technology:

http://www.examiner.com/article/second-whistleblower-emerges-to-confirm-reality-of-time-travel

Apparently there's this technological resource known as the 'Web Bot', which uses software to search the Internet for about 300,000 keywords with emotional context and record the preceding and following words to create a ‘snapshot.’

Through this, according to that article, the Web Bot can supposedly "examine the collective unconscious of the world as a whole. The data collected by the Web Bot is then analysed via Asymmetric Language Trend Analysis (or ALTA) to discern future trends."
    A Sept. 15, 2009 report derived from the Web Bot predicted that a “planetary whistleblower” would emerge from the current period of U.S. financial collapse. Clif High, the genius behind the Web Bot, determined that the individual was “very likely” Mr. Basiago, a lawyer from Washington State who is leading a truth campaign to establish that the U.S. defense community achieved teleportation in the late 1960s.

The report also stated that Mr. Basiago’s crusade would spark a movement, as other whistle-blowers shared with the public previously secret information.

In fulfillment of the scenario predicted by the Web Bot, both Mr. Basiago and Dr. Anderson are whistleblowers who have emerged during the latter months of 2009 to affirm secret time travel advancements by the U.S. government and private industry that may articulate a way out of the current depression via investment in a 21st century infrastructure that would include teleportation and other new energy applications.

There's another story about the U.S. government's apparent work on developing time travel technology here:

'The U.S. Government, Dimensional Portals and Dr. Wen Ho Lee: The Rest of the Story'.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread59997/pg1#pid626124.

I wouldn't have classed time travel as paranormal maybe technology or something but I guess its out of the normal range of things.....anyways I remember reading a few years back that scientists in oz had successfully transported a apple across the room,could be the same tech...

Yeah, I suppose because we don't know enough about it (or even know for sure that it even exists), that we would categorise it as paranormal for now.

I'd like to find more info about those Australian scientists transporting that apple..

There's info here about scientists that have successfully teleported things like laser beams:
    The most recent successful teleportation experiment took place on October 4, 2006 at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark. Dr. Eugene Polzik and his team teleported information stored in a laser beam into a cloud of atoms. According to Polzik, "It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium." The information was teleported about 1.6 feet (half a meter).

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/teleportation1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

I'd day that this Andrew B Dasagio is mentally unwell.

• Advertisement

I'd day that this Andrew B Dasagio is mentally unwell.

What, as in he might suffer from False memory syndrome (FMS)?

Wikipedia:
    False memory syndrome (FMS) describes a condition in
    which a person's identity and relationships are affected by memories which are
    factually incorrect but are strongly believed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome

I wonder if he was subjected to hypnotherapy/hypnosis at any point? People can acquire 'planted memories' (courtesy of those who hypnotise them - though, personally, I have never believed in hypnosis myself and was incapable of being hypnotised on two occasions a few years ago), where they feel that the memories are so genuine, they are unable to distinguish between the false memories and real memories. In extreme cases, the person can develop a personality disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

More likely he's just delusional in some way. Any kind of psychotic disorder will cause delusions, like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder (i.e. manic depression), and many more.
    Whatever the condition, he certainly doesn't seem to be of sound mind!

Thats interesting Mr Mojo.

Time apressing, I use my gut feeling to think, "right whats the likely hood of this happening?" and "Why are'nt there other reports of this government programme", maybe there is.

But in the absence of other evidence I call "not a well man", but if he seems genuine enough, FMS is a very plausible explanation.

How much is a pint in The Crown nowadays?

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome

I wonder if he was subjected to hypnotherapy/hypnosis at any point? People can acquire 'planted memories' (courtesy of those who hypnotise them - though, personally, I have never believed in hypnosis myself and was incapable of being hypnotised on two occasions a few years ago), where they feel that the memories are so genuine, they are unable to distinguish between the false memories and real memories. In extreme cases, the person can develop a personality disorder.

Thats interesting Mr Mojo.

Time apressing, I use my gut feeling to think, "right whats the likely hood of this happening?" and "Why are'nt there other reports of this government programme", maybe there is.

Well, I know that one fella named David Lewis Anderson, a physicist, also came out of the woodwork in 2009, saying more-or-less the same thing as Basiago.

The U.S. government might adhere to the adage, "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" and just let the claims sink back into obscurity like a lead balloon. Hard to know for sure..
    But in the absence of other evidence I call "not a well man", but if he seems genuine enough, FMS is a very plausible explanation.

It might be FMS, and I'm wondering if it's still possible for sufferers to hold down a steady job (Basiago is an attorney apparently)? I must find out.

How much is a pint in The Crown nowadays?

I don't go there often because it's usually crammed with tourists (though, in a way, I'm like a tourist myself, tbh), but the last time I was in there, I got a pint of Heineken for about £4.20. It was reasonable enough. It's a nice place and they do great food though. Must be one of Belfast's oldest watering holes.

Thanks Mr Mojo.

Veering off topic slightly, I think I heard on the telly recently a claim that Kelly's Cellars is the oldest pub in the NI Big Smoke.

Mind you it seems to be a preserve of the NI media to say "the first every time in Northern Ireland" etc...watch out for that, maybe that's just me.

Cheers...

Oryx wrote: »
    So the American government can time travel and yet we still end up with the world (including the us economy) in a depression, 911 still happened, and they've had more man made fcuk ups in the last 40 years than you can shake a stick at? I don't think so. I think yer man might have had a bit too much flower power back in '72.

If time is infinite meaning that if one was to go back in time and change something, that would just create another time line. And if you want to get more cross eyed about it , every decision you make in your life, like deciding weather to get the buss home or walk, creates a new time line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It's very misleading for them to call that teleportation. They did a quantum entanglement experiment. Quantum entanglement is what Einstein called Spooky Action at a distance - spukhafte Fernwirkung. Because it is spooky, but it's not teleportation.

Nothing can be teleported. Not apples, not photons, and certainly not people.

I doubt very much, that in the early 70s, when the most powerful computers in the world were less powerful that the cheapest mobile phone you can get today, there were any time machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If time is infinite meaning that if one was to go back in time and change something, that would just create another time line. And if you want to get more cross eyed about it , every decision you make in your life, like deciding weather to get the buss home or walk, creates a new time line.

Thats the way I understand it too. Isn't it crazy to think how many different timelines were/are created if this is true. Every second, every decision made by anything & everything in the universe creates a new timeline. Mind boggling stuff.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats the way I understand it too. Isn't it crazy to think how many different timelines were/are created if this is true. Every second, every decision made by anything & everything in the universe creates a new timeline. Mind boggling stuff.

It really makes you feel small :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement