Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane to have 2 dates in 2013!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nah, there were always going to be two nights. They sold out the first to the hardcore fans then struggled big time with the second. As has already been mentioned, everytime they've played Ireland in the last six years the venue has been downgraded. Croke Park in 2006, to the smaller Lansdowne Road in 2008 to the smaller still RDS last year. Can't see how anyone suddenly expects them to sell 90,000 tickets in a venue that's a logistic nightmare and a pain in the arse to get to.

2006 - Croke Park, sold out, 80,000.

2008 - Punchestown, sold out, 46,000.

2011 - RDS, sold out, 70,000

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

2008 - Punchestown, sold out, 46,000.

2011 - RDS, sold out, 70,000

The RDS does not have a capacity of 70,000.

Try half that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

martomcg wrote: »
    The RDS does not have a capacity of 70,000.

Try half that!
    They played 2 nights, 2 times a half equals a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

They played 2 nights, 2 times a half equals a whole.

Sorry just realised my error there.

Apologies!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

flyswatter wrote: »
    Such an irrelevant band on the music scene these days, they haven't had a big hit in about 12 years have they?

On the other hand, the band know where their bread is buttered these days, milking the past hits from the 80s on tour. I'm sure they put on a decent show.

Sure most bands who have been going as long as them or longer do the same , eg Metallica , Rolling Stones(i know they are only getting back together now) .

If you look at it this way they sold roughly 60,000-70,000 people in the RDS over 2 nights last year with no "big" support . If they get a support act as big as say Oasis (Prodigy , Kasabian etc) that will help sell more tickets .

Anyways i cant wait for it , Will it sell out (prob not) but it will be a great gig regardless and hopefully they get some big support acts it will be a great day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

cheapest ticket here 79 euro cheapest in england 20 euro

robbed again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sure most bands who have been going as long as them or longer do the same , eg Metallica , Rolling Stones(i know they are only getting back together now) .

If you look at it this way they sold roughly 60,000-70,000 people in the RDS over 2 nights last year with no "big" support . If they get a support act as big as say Oasis (Prodigy , Kasabian etc) that will help sell more tickets .

Anyways i cant wait for it , Will it sell out (prob not) but it will be a great gig regardless and hopefully they get some big support acts it will be a great day

Last time Metallica played Dublin(2008), barely more than 20,000 were there. Atmosphere was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

€79 for a ticket!! The support would want to be out of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Tom Jones for Slane 2013........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There were less than 60,00 people at Croke Park in 2006 ,it was nowhere near a sell out.
    Have a look at this video

Bon Jovi will put on a great gig as they always do but its simply too much hassle getting to Slane .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Really surprised with all the negative comments about Bon Jovi. I think their a great band, the songs never get old & yeah not all of the recent songs have been great but I saw them live in the RDS & they wer brill! Still got it imo! Far from out-of-date.

Am v disappointed their playing in Slane tho :( would love to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Will they ever top Oasis in 2009?
    I know it was an organisational nightmare, but the concert itself was meant to be unreal. A few people I know said it was the best gig they were ever at...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really surprised with all the negative comments about Bon Jovi. I think their a great band, the songs never get old & yeah not all of the recent songs have been great but I saw them live in the RDS & they wer brill! Still got it imo! Far from out-of-date.

Am v disappointed their playing in Slane tho :( would love to see them again.

I'm in the stop musical cruelty camp myself.

Terrible b(l)and

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I know it was an organisational nightmare, but the concert itself was meant to be unreal. A few people I know said it was the best gig they were ever at...

You weren't at it and are wondering if it will ever be topped?

It's already happened - Slane '95 with REM and Oasis and Slane '03 with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and PJ Harvey stand out for me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'm in the stop musical cruelty camp myself.

Terrible b(l)and

Well everyones entitled to their opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Never have had a problem with Slane on the organisational side of things. It is what it is.

Oasis '09 was a great gig, but U2's first gig in 2001 absolutely blows it out of the water.
    They were supported by an up and coming Coldplay and the Chilis at the top of their game.
    An incredible gig to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Guns N' Roses was a great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

It can always be relied upon to have a cracker of a support list and some years the support have outshone the main atriste - Big Country and Aslan fairly wiped David Bowie's eye in '87 & Robbie Williams did the same to The Verve in '98.

Guns N' Roses was a great gig

Aye it was. Even if Axl kept us waiting for well over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nunu wrote: »
    Never have had a problem with Slane on the organisational side of things. It is what it is.

Oasis '09 was a great gig, but U2's first gig in 2001 absolutely blows it out of the water.
    They were supported by an up and coming Coldplay and the Chilis at the top of their game.
    An incredible gig to be honest.

The first U2 gig was great but the second a week later was even better. Moby and Ash were great support and the small matter of the 2nd half of ireland beating holland on the big screen!:D Didn't matter who played after that, everyone was in celebratory mode! Love the DVD of that show so much.

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    some years the support have outshone the main atriste - Big Country and Aslan fairly wiped David Bowie's eye in '87 & Robbie Williams did the same to The Verve in '98.

Agreed...and I wouldn't be a big fan of Robbie Williams! :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Wonder who will be the support

• Registered Users Posts: 38,429 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder who will be the support
    would love pearl jam or nickelback.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Please stop referring to Bon Jovi as "BJ", people are wondering what I am giggling at here in work all the time!

And Pearl Jam would be an awesome support, but I doubt they'd do support for Bon Jovi for some reason...

Nickelback would be a terrible support band. They would actually result in fewer people going than if there was no support band! :-P

PTH2009 wrote: »

Pearl Jam supporting Bon Jovi??? Not a chance.

Davyhal wrote: »
    Please stop referring to Bon Jovi as "BJ", people are wondering what I am giggling at here in work all the time!

And Pearl Jam would be an awesome support, but I doubt they'd do support for Bon Jovi for some reason...

Nickelback would be a terrible support band. They would actually result in fewer people going than if there was no support band! :-P

They supported them in Croke Park (Nickelback not PJ) . Yea PJ are way too big to support , id expect an arena sized band (eg Prodigy 09 and Elbow 10)

Usually Bon Jovi do a competition for an Irish act to open the show which i think should happen more often

Pearl Jam supporting Bon Jovi?! Not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Id imagine Pearl Jam would rather saw their own balls off than open for Bon Jovi

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Which is another problem - no half decent band would want to support Bon Jovi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

PTH2009 wrote: »

Pearl Jam yes, Nickleback can **** off, I dont like my rock watered down and whiney. Maybe we'll get ZZ Top for the second date :) doubtful but how awesome would that be!

Advertisement