Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane to have 2 dates in 2013!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

nothing on the website anyway................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

That tweet from @irishstarscene was posted 14 hours ago, is there something in today's paper? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet!

According to Twitter, he said it's The Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Any source???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I had a really weird dream before i woke up that he was confirmed for Slane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Where abouts on the Twitter machine would one find this information?

• Advertisement

Where abouts on the Twitter machine would one find this information?

https://twitter.com/ShamRockIRL/status/265406190912172032

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

so the source is the Star?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

hope The Boss doesn't come to slane :( no doubt he'd sell out but would rather see him in the RDS.

Would go to Bon Jovi but not in slane :(

Slane repeatedly piss all over their ticket buying public. Every. ****ing. Year.

Has anyone ever had a relatively smooth experience getting to and from there? Everyones experience is the same. Get there, queue for ages to get in, takes ages to get to bars/toilets, really dangerous crushes leaving (there were people screaming and crying after the Chili Peppers i the crush) and then sitting on stationary buses/cars until 3 or 4am while the comically small amount of student staff they paid for try move 80,000 people out of the place, off to drive miles and miles home on country roads at 4am, knackered tired.

No thanks. It would take a day of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Tom Waits to get me down there and even then Id think twice.

Its not 1981 anymore for ****s sake. Usual Irish nonsense - "thanks for the 80 quid. Now **** off and make your own way out".

The Nal wrote: »
    Slane repeatedly piss all over their ticket buying public. Every. ****ing. Year.

Has anyone ever had a relatively smooth experience getting to and from there? Everyones experience is the same. Get there, queue for ages to get in, takes ages to get to bars/toilets, really dangerous crushes leaving (there were people screaming and crying after the Chili Peppers i the crush) and then sitting on stationary buses/cars until 3 or 4am while the comically small amount of student staff they paid for try move 80,000 people out of the place, off to drive miles and miles home on country roads at 4am, knackered tired.

No thanks. It would take a day of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Tom Waits to get me down there and even then Id think twice.

Its not 1981 anymore for ****s sake. Usual Irish nonsense - "thanks for the 80 quid. Now **** off and make your own way out".

In my opinion, the only way to enjoy Slane is to head up on the Friday and either have a B&B/hostel booked way in advance or camp in one of the campsites a mile or two from the castle. I did this in 2010 and must say it was very enjoyable. Great atmosphere in the pubs and campsite the night before, nice relaxed start to the Saturday, strolled away down to the Castle around 1pm and back to the campsite that night for some craic and ceol. Left around 2pm on the Sunday, no traffic etc and was back down in Cork in no time!

• Advertisement

In my opinion, the only way to enjoy Slane is to head up on the Friday and either have a B&B/hostel booked way in advance or camp in one of the campsites a mile or two from the castle. I did this in 2010 and must say it was very enjoyable. Great atmosphere in the pubs and campsite the night before, nice relaxed start to the Saturday, strolled away down to the Castle around 1pm and back to the campsite that night for some craic and ceol. Left around 2pm on the Sunday, no traffic etc and was back down in Cork in no time!

Thats a good idea! May have a look if Bruce is confirmed

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats a good idea! May have a look if Bruce is confirmed

Ya, it's well worth it IMO. I paid 40 quid for two nights camping for 2 people just a mile or so from the Castle. The campsite was on a large farm/hostel which had a barn which had been renovated and had toliet and hot shower facilities. They also had 3 or 4 nice chip vans in the campsite and you could park your car next to your tent so no need to carry any gear. Everyone got a wristband which was always checked when entering the site so strangers could not come and go as they pleased. The site was so close that everyone sat out on the Friday night listening to KoL doing a soundcheck.

I've a B&B booked for Bon Jovi this year in the village and I've also booked the same place, the weekend in August which is "expected to be the second date". I may switch to the camping option for some extra atmosphere before June!

Thats my plan anyways for Bon Jovi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

After AC/DC in Punchestown, I swore Id never go to a gig in a field again.

The chaotic scenes after that gig of 88,000 people trying to exit a quagmire of mud via country backlanes, resembled a warzone.

Ya, it's well worth it IMO. I paid 40 quid for two nights camping for 2 people just a mile or so from the Castle. The campsite was on a large farm/hostel which had a barn which had been renovated and had toliet and hot shower facilities. They also had 3 or 4 nice chip vans in the campsite and you could park your car next to your tent so no need to carry any gear. Everyone got a wristband which was always checked when entering the site so strangers could not come and go as they pleased. The site was so close that everyone sat out on the Friday night listening to KoL doing a soundcheck.

I've a B&B booked for Bon Jovi this year in the village and I've also booked the same place, the weekend in August which is "expected to be the second date". I may switch to the camping option for some extra atmosphere before June!

how far is slane from the village? If im going il have no car & will have to walk ...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

how far is slane from the village? If im going il have no car & will have to walk ...

Slane is the village and the castle is literally just outside it, about 5 minute walk from the centre of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭hulkeverton

what date is the second gig meant to be confirmed? Looking to book accomafation, cheers

what date is the second gig meant to be confirmed? Looking to book accomafation, cheers

sometime in august, don't know the date

Rumours are that it's Saturday 17th August!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Eh....but youd be getting the very epitome of watered down rock with the headliner!

You talking about Bon Jovi or Pearl Jam, either way actually, your wrong. Bon Jovi isnt the hardest or rock bands, but they've earned the right to relax. I grew up listening to them, the stones, pearl jam, zepplin and countless others, the Stones are as good now, if not better, then when they started, Pearl Jams last album wasnt great but was ok, Bon Jovi have always made me tap my foot along with their tunes. I'd take them over U2 anyday to be honest, least they've had more then one song since 1991 with different lyrics. Everything sounds the same. That and I dont like Bono, he ups and moves everything out of country when things go bad, screw him. Campaigns for the poor and the hungry and when it hits his homeland hes no where to be seen.

On another note, I'm hoping for The Stones get brought back. I'd love to hear them again. Springsteen would pack the place out, hes still as good as ever, last album he had was fantastic. AC/DC would pack the place out for sure.
    Anything pop or pop related should stay out of Slane, it was always the Slane ROCK Concert, when they started catering to the tweens the whole thing went down the tubes. I'll admit, Robbie Williams wouldnt be my most hated of acts but that was the beginning of the end, Madonna, Moby, Macey Grey, Eminem, and 2009 had the worst of all, Prodigy, The Blizzards and Oasis, what a horrible lineup. 1999 and 2009 were the weakest years, yeah he packed the place out but the bands were terrible. 1981-1987 were by far the best years, I grew up during those times and I remember as a kid, barely, being pushed up the hill into Slane and hearing the music. 93 I remember Pearl Jam playing and they were epic, I was 10 and I could hear them crystal clear from the front door.
    I guess you cant really expect bands that have played in the last, say, 5-7 years to come back and play again, but its a huge event, people go see bands on a yearly basis when their on tour so why not, but for an entire day of music you want a varied selection.

Thats just how I see it, growing up in the area it disappoints me seeing some of the concerts being so watered down and not being all they could be, but in the end its down to how much they can make off it. I'm happy to see it back and kinda getting back into the spirit of the rock concert. Will be interesting to see who the support is.

• Advertisement

have a feeling its springsteen alrite....either way, lm gonna be front row & hopefully l'll be dancing with him during dancing in the dark :D one can dream... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'm seriously hoping it is not Brucey. I really want him to do the RDS when he comes back rather than Slane. I can't see it being Bruce really becuase he has been with Aiken and the RDS for years (Except solo and Seeger Seesions gigs in the point) anytime after that first Slane gig. I hope he sticks with it because it works there each time.

My money would be on The Stones or AC/DC.

Looks like Journey/Whitesnake/Thunder are doing an arena tour next summer before Slane . Possible Slane support?

May 18th - Glasgow SECC
    May 20th - Motorpoint Arena Sheffield
    May 22nd - Metro Radio Arena Newcastle
    May 23rd - Manchester Arena
    May 25th - Capital FM Arena Nottingham
    May 26th - Motorpoint Arena Cardiff
    May 28th - LG Arena Birmingham
    May 29th - Wembley Arena London

Source: http://www.stereoboard.com/content/v...#ixzz2BRSr6Koi

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Looks like Journey/Whitesnake/Thunder are doing an arena tour next summer before Slane . Possible Slane support?

May 18th - Glasgow SECC
    May 20th - Motorpoint Arena Sheffield
    May 22nd - Metro Radio Arena Newcastle
    May 23rd - Manchester Arena
    May 25th - Capital FM Arena Nottingham
    May 26th - Motorpoint Arena Cardiff
    May 28th - LG Arena Birmingham
    May 29th - Wembley Arena London

Source: http://www.stereoboard.com/content/v...#ixzz2BRSr6Koi

That would really add to the bill for Bon Jovi. Although I don't think it would attract too many more people tbh. That support bill would suit me fine though :)

EDIT: Just thinking of it now, I'd much prefer that as a gig on it's own in the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 38,429 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw Journey back in 2011 when they played the o2 with Foreginer and FM. Really enjoyed the gig but i think Seeing Journey once in a lifetime is enough.

Who are Thunder ???. If Journey do play Ireland i think it will be just Them and Whitesnake. I remember Styx played with them in the UK in 2011 and FM replaced them in Dublin and Belfast.

MCD Productions
    BIG announcement coming this Friday...really big!

Presume its either Slane number 2 , Oxegen or a big outdoor gig

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MCD Productions

Presume its either Slane number 2 , Oxegen or a big outdoor gig

I'd take anything that MCD say with a massive pinch of salt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

The Stone Roses
    7 June 2013 - London
    8 June 2013 - Glasgow

Blur
    July 5 - Belgium
    May 24 and 31 - Spain and Portugal

Could be possible that these bands could headline (not together) if I had to chose I'd go for Blur and maybe the SR could play @ EP? Don't think it will be bands like Coldplay, Muse etc btw will be the date be August 24th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

last time I was at Slane it was for Guns 'N' Roses in 92 and getting in and out was a doddle, experiences at Punchestown for AC/DC and Bon Jovi would put me off going, however

i'm gonna see Bon Jovi in Villa Park and prob still get a ticket to this but wander in close to show time when hopefully the crowd are all in - I imagine there will be a decent support act, then whoever is being touted as the next big thing in soft rock/metal and like in previous years they will give an up and coming Irish act a chance to play the big stage - have seen Bon Jovi on every tour when they have played Ireland and they never fail to put on a good show 2.5 hours plus, all the bells and whistles, Richie Sambora will sing one, they will do the silly jukebox medley thing - and hopefully on a rare sunny day

oooh and can we change the thread title to 'Anything but Jovi' or something? I keep checking for Slane news and have to trawl through all the Bon Jovi haters having their little say, mebbe go set up a thread where ye can vent amongst yourselves because you don't get it - no-one going wants songs with hidden meanings about suicide and drug abuse and aids - they want to go and have a ball which is exactly what they will get - until the queues to get out of the place!!!

Advertisement