Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet in waterford city?

Options
  • 12-08-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

I really need a recommendation for prices (de-fleaing of a cat), can anyone recommend a good (and not too expensive) vet??

Reply ASAP please, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Pet Hospital down in Canada St (next to the 3 shippes pub at the park)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Thanks, do you have any idea regarding prices? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

There's city vets also http://www.cityvets.ie/
    If you are willing to travel a little bit, there is a walk in vet practice in Carrick-on-Suir, prices are much cheaper than in town. I'm not sure exactly of the costs but I got the first couple of months vaccinations for a puppy for €20

Denise90 wrote: »
    There's city vets also http://www.cityvets.ie/
    If you are willing to travel a little bit, there is a walk in vet practice in Carrick-on-Suir, prices are much cheaper than in town. I'm not sure exactly of the costs but I got the first couple of months vaccinations for a puppy for €20

That is very reasonable - but unfortunately we don't drive. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

They are legends down there. Wouldnt bother with city vets at all.

that fella up in carrick is supposedly a bit of a legend aswell, One of my friends brings her monkey upto him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

City Vets for me. Staff are so nice. Prices pretty similar everywhere

thomasm wrote: »

Do you have any idea of price range at all, I'm clueless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

CuriousG wrote: »

Do you have any idea of price range at all, I'm clueless?

Does defleaing a cat not just involve getting one of those little sachets you put on their neck. Can buy them in Tesco for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Does defleaing a cat not just involve getting one of those little sachets you put on their neck. Can buy them in Tesco for a fiver

You can get a basic Spot On in Tesco but the Spot On you get in the vets also covers deworming and I'm not sure if it gets rid of lice as well. I get the Spot On in the vets. I normally get a few at a time and I think it's around €10. My cats are patients at The Pet Hospital but I can just walk in and get the tubes without seeing a vet but I think that's because they're registered there.

OP you could try going in and asking for the tubes of Spot On and just apply them yourself, you just break the seal and rub lotion onto the skin at the back of the cat's neck.

Actually got spot on today, but my confidence in it is not great, because the fleas seem to be getting worse, so I just am paranoid, and feel terrible for the poor cat, so I would rather have someone do it properly, than run the risk of them coming back :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

another +1 for tadhg in the pet hosptal. op the spot on should work give it a bit of time, you should also do a really hot wash on anything the cat sleeps on to kill anything that may have hopped off. also bear in mind she can get re infected quite quickly (esp if she is still mixing with undesirables or hunting bunnies!) so if she has some in the next few weeks it could be a new infestation.

Ok we have shampooed (that was a LOT of fun ha ha....not), combed, spray and used spot on....... And they are still back.
    So vet it is!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Spot On that's available at a vet's is better than the one in supermarkets and it's very easy to apply. I wouldn't fancy trying to shampoo my cats and that's from someone who's given her hens warm baths ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Same question here, anyone got any prices for the vets in Waterford City. Looking to just get the cat checked over, teeth, eyes and ears...

OP, the last time I defleaed the cat I went to that new vet on O'connell street, he charges 8.50 for Advocate, which does both fleas and worms.... Easy to use, once a month just put it between the shoulder blades on the back of the neck, or anywhere the cat can't lick. Starts to kill within minutes and then kills in the cats surrounding areas or where ever the cat goes.

cb123 wrote: »
    Same question here, anyone got any prices for the vets in Waterford City. Looking to just get the cat checked over, teeth, eyes and ears...

OP, the last time I defleaed the cat I went to that new vet on O'connell street, he charges 8.50 for Advocate, which does both fleas and worms.... Easy to use, once a month just put it between the shoulder blades on the back of the neck, or anywhere the cat can't lick. Starts to kill within minutes and then kills in the cats surrounding areas or where ever the cat goes.

It is 30e for a consultation The Pet Hospital told me, think 45 for Cityvets.

But that is only consultation, no idea of prices beyond that - they let you know during consultation presumably.

See, the problem with the products is, they actually worked on the body - but it's his face where they all migrate to, and you can't put any products on his face? Feel really bad for the poor thing. :(

CuriousG wrote: »
    See, the problem with the products is, they actually worked on the body - but it's his face where they all migrate to, and you can't put any products on his face? Feel really bad for the poor thing. :(

The product should work all over the body and face, as it spread through the oils in the skin. Honestly, I would try another one and maybe get a flea collar. If they are still migrating to his face I recommend getting a flea comb and catching as many as you can.

Put anything he touches on a hot wash if possible and anything else just keep hoovering (as much as possible, seriously), the hoover is the best way to get rid of them in your home. It's a lot of work but keep at it cause you will see results soon!

G'luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

that fella up in carrick is supposedly a bit of a legend aswell, One of my friends brings her monkey upto him.

Why is no one asking about the monkey?!

The product should work all over the body and face, as it spread through the oils in the skin. Honestly, I would try another one and maybe get a flea collar. If they are still migrating to his face I recommend getting a flea comb and catching as many as you can.

Put anything he touches on a hot wash if possible and anything else just keep hoovering (as much as possible, seriously), the hoover is the best way to get rid of them in your home. It's a lot of work but keep at it cause you will see results soon!

G'luck!

I have sprayed him, and a while after given him a collar and it seems to be MUCH better, but there are still a few stray ones...Hoover about twice a day at this rate ha ha :D Thanks for the advice :)

Rang round the vets to get a price for a cat "check up" I dunno what you would call it. Here are the result *drum roll*

City Vets €40
    Pet Hospital €36
    PetsRVets €25

The price is just for the checkup, medication or tests will be extra.

Huge difference between City vets and PetsRvets. I get that the former is well established and have been there a few times and they are lovely but I popped into PetsRVets to get flea treatments and to help a friend with a recently neutered cat, the vet is lovely, very attentive, clearly loves animals, one of those vets that stare at the animal while talking uncomfortably to you (Always a good sign in my eyes, someone who is that much of an animal person, and not a people person has to be a good vet!). Anyways think I shall be choosing him as a vet, afterall I can stroll down there with the cat, and the price is unbeatable.

Rang round the vets to get a price for a cat "check up" I dunno what you would call it. Here are the result *drum roll*

City Vets €40
    Pet Hospital €36
    PetsRVets €25

The price is just for the checkup, medication or tests will be extra.

Huge difference between City vets and PetsRvets. I get that the former is well established and have been there a few times and they are lovely but I popped into PetsRVets to get flea treatments and to help a friend with a recently neutered cat, the vet is lovely, very attentive, clearly loves animals, one of those vets that stare at the animal while talking uncomfortably to you (Always a good sign in my eyes, someone who is that much of an animal person, and not a people person has to be a good vet!). Anyways think I shall be choosing him as a vet, afterall I can stroll down there with the cat, and the price is unbeatable.

Yeah that's the consultation price, PetsRVets is very reasonable!! And the closest, so will definitely be considering that. Thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

We happened to need to go into City Vets today. Unfortunately our dog was sick and this morning turned his nose up at his food, not like him at all! It cost €77 for the check-up and antibiotics, plus a shot of antibiotics when he was in there. We were very happy with the price. Our fella is a great dane so obviously more expensive than most dogs. The staff in there are just lovely and the vet was really good with our dog. He wasn't feeling great so he was a bit iffy about being prodded and whatnot but the vet was very patient and gentle with him.

The only thing I will say is that the rooms are a bit small when you're squashed him with the vet and a great dane :P

I am happy ( and reluctant) to say, thankfully, the fleas seem to have gone :D

Thanks a million everyone for your help.

The most successful product was a pump spray I got for fleas, will post the name tomorrow, and also a collar. Spot on done no good, in my opinion.

Advertisement