Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting a friends firearm!

Options
  • 12-08-2012 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a mate heading west to do some goat shooting next week on some land we have permission on. My mate will meet me there, as he is working up north for a few days and will head direct, but has asked me to bring his rifle for him as he cant take it up with him.

Any issues with this from a legal perspective ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

if you get stopped you will be in a lot of bother for having it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Firearms Act 1925 Sec. 2 (3)(F)

This section shall not apply to any of the following cases and such cases are accordingly excepted from this section, that is to say:

( f ) the carriage for sporting purposes only of a firearm or ammunition under instructions from and for the use of the holder of a firearm certificate for such firearm or ammunition.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0017/sec0002.html#sec2

If that is the case why do rfd's need permission from the super for couriers to transport ammo or guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

Slightly off topic but can you store a friends gun in your gun safe over night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

garv123 wrote: »
    If that is the case why do rfd's need permission from the super for couriers to transport ammo or guns.
    Id reckon the key words are "sporting purposes". A currier delivering a firearm is just that, delivering it. That'd be my reading of it anyway. Sparks knows about this he told me before, basically my mate could bring my gun for me and i didnt have to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

And another one is if you are with someone who's using/borrowing a gun thats not theirs and whom are not licensed to that firearm they are in big trouble if caught also if you are with the person in this situation you have a gun thats licensed you will loose your gun as well even tho you are licensed to have it in your possession. This might be abit of topic but some don't know this

It would seem couriers are exempt under the same Act;

(d) the possession or carriage of a firearm or ammunition in the ordinary course of business by a person engaged in the business of carrying or of warehousing goods for reward

As are the employees of a RFD under the 1964 Act

Open to correction on all of this of course

4200fps wrote: »
    And another one is if you are with someone who's using/borrowing a gun thats not theirs and whom are not licensed to that firearm they are in big trouble if caught also if you are with the person in this situation you have a gun thats licensed you will loose your gun as well even tho you are licensed to have it in your possession. This might be abit of topic but some don't know this
    If that happened i reckon there is alot more to the story than what you know.

Blay wrote: »

(d) the possession or carriage of a firearm or ammunition in the ordinary course of business by a person engaged in the business of carrying or of warehousing goods for reward

[SIZE="1"]Open to correction on all of this of course[/SIZE]
    Dont think any correction is needed lad sure thats straight out of the firearms act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe just check that it hasnt been superceeded by any new act??:confused:
    But if it is still in force...Its the law.

Later....
    Nope! It hasnt,AFICS...Good to go!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

[SIZE="1"]Open to correction on all of this of course[/SIZE]
    Dont think any correction is needed lad sure thats straight out of the firearms act

With regards my own scenario where I am transporting the gun for my mate, could the act be interpreted as me carrying the firearm for him with him in my presence or is it clear that I can carry it for him to meet him elsewhere?

I'd print off that page there of the act and bring it with you if you go ahead, cos if you happen to be stopped for any reason and see the gun case and ask you who's is it, I can guarantee you they wont know that exception is there and they'll take the gun and you to the station to investigate it and some people had their guns wrongly taken and it was a few weeks before they got them back, so he could miss the hunt.

Yeah be careful with it, it might not be illegal but the average guard probably won't be receptive to someone saying 'it's my friend's gun'. As Garv said print that act out and maybe have a letter from your friend stating you have his permission to carry it, it won't help if you're stopped but if it was investigated further it would show ya were keeping it all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Good advice in the last two replies.
    This topic came up in a fire arms instructor’s course I did, so here’s my two cents twice:
    It is perfectly legal for an individual to transport or store (short term) another person’s legally held firearm.
    Again it is perfectly legal for an unlicensed person to use a licensed firearm as in the case of training courses, range open days and corporate outings. By the way this has nothing to do with registered business or authorised ranges.
    I would follow up the last posters advice and take a written document from your ‘friend’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Open to correction on all of this of course

I've done that as a 'one-day authorised agent' of the registered gun dealer. Basically you are employed as his agent for the day, and covered by his dealer license, a copy of which you carry with you at all times in the day, as well as a signed and dated letter of authority.

It seems to be the same deal in the RoI.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I've done that as a 'one-day authorised agent' of the registered gun dealer. Basically you are employed as his agent for the day, and covered by his dealer license, a copy of which you carry with you at all times in the day, as well as a signed and dated letter of authority.

It seems to be the same deal in the RoI.

tac

I done that myself when I had to travel to kildare to pick up my 2 guns and return them to my RFD before the licences arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Get your friends gun, put it in its case, put said gun into your boot along with your own gun.
    Bring both guns to destination.
    When was the last time you were stopped by any guard and asked to open your boot so as he \ she could see whats inside ?
    You know from the last few posts that this is quite legal and I'd be fair p.i.s.s.e.d off if I asked a fellow shooting mate whom I share shooting permissions with and were both planning a goat hunt to bring my rifle up with him on his way and he refused to put my rifle in the boot "INCASE" he was stopped and his car searched.
    Make sure and keep within the speed limit aswell...just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

just act normal:D

vixdname wrote: »
    Get your friends gun, put it in its case, put said gun into your boot along with your own gun.
    Bring both guns to destination.I
    When was the last time you were stopped by any guard and asked to open your boot so as he \ she could see whats inside ?
    You know from the last few posts that this is quite legal and I'd be fair p.i.s.s.e.d off if I asked a fellow shooting mate whom I share shooting permissions with and were both planning a goat hunt to bring my rifle up with him on his way and he refused to put my rifle in the boot "INCASE" he was stopped and his car searched.
    Make sure and keep within the speed limit aswell...just in case

Yeah agree absolutely, and the advice earlier clarifies it all too! I'm a paranoid sort of chap really :-) but our local super is a serious anti and would leap at the chance if he had it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

...and here's me thinking that your police were completely unbiased in their dealings with the public whose SERVANTS they are.

Hey, did I accidentally use capitals there?

Whoops.

tac

...and here's me thinking that your police were completely unbiased in their dealings with the public whose SERVANTS they are.

Hey, did I accidentally use capitals there?

Whoops.

tac

Btw, aside from my username, this is not a Wexford based super, I'm long time out of Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

...and here's me thinking that your police were completely unbiased in their dealings with the public whose SERVANTS they are
    Think you'd find that the AGS are actually public servants...
    ...not servants of members of the public. The same way that all policemen are polis-men; ie. they're in service to the collective, not the individual.

Trying the "you're a public servant, do what I tell you" line here will have an outcome similar to trying the whole "freeman on the land" line in the UK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Sparks wrote: »
    ...and here's me thinking that your police were completely unbiased in their dealings with the public whose SERVANTS they are
    ...not servants of members of the public. The same way that all policemen are polis-men; ie. they're in service to the collective, not the individual.

Trying the "you're a public servant, do what I tell you" line here will have an outcome similar to trying the whole "freeman on the land" line in the UK :D

They try the freeman thing here too, comical to say the least. :)

To the OP, I would advise against what you are contemplating.

Why would you advise that bravestar? Its perfectly legal

bravestar wrote: »
    Sparks wrote: »

They try the freeman thing here too, comical to say the least. :)

To the OP, I would advise against what you are contemplating.

My understanding is its perfectly leave from earlier posts and link the the firearms act!

Also going to remove the bolt and have it sent down in another vehicle, to show the rifle is not even usable if need be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Why would you advise that bravestar? Its perfectly legal

Numerous reasons, but the long and short of it is, a person is found to be in possession of a firearm that they are not licenced to hold, or to put it another way, another persons property.

So the matter must be investigated. Investigations can take time to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I wouldnt want to be without my firearms for ANY length of time and im sure everyone else here feels the same.

Im only trying to give some advice as Im on both sides of the fence. In the end the OP will do as he wants and I wish him all the best. Just trying to help him avoid any possible future headaches.

Advertisement