Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Surgery?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Cutting ingrown toenails down as far as they'll go and having them bleed all over the place... It hurts when you get right down to the 'stem' of the toenail and you can't cut down into it any further with the scissors. You just have to kinda... wriggle it out. I talked to a doctor about getting it fixed and I'm using epsom salts, cottom bud tips under the nail, and letting the nail grow longer to sort it out at last.

I also cut about half an inch into my thumb before and it just refused to clot for days. The kitchen paper worked well for it though. Shame that it really hampered my playstation skills...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

I remember when I was in School I had cut my finger with a chisel!

I tried to hide it so no one would notice but it was hard not to when there was nearly half a litre of blood on the floor :pac:

I wouldn't trust myself using instruments I think I'll leave it to the professionals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ingrown toenails can be cured by cutting a V into the middle of the nail, it causes the nail to grow inwards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Ingrown toenails can be cured by cutting a V into the middle of the nail, it causes the nail to grow inwards ;)

I really appreciate that you're trying to help, but wikipedia says that that's actually a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrown_nail#Prevention

Thanks for the good intentions though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny. It's worked for me a few times in the past.

So either it's an urban myth and I've had 3/4 coincidences or it works to some degree. Perhaps it just works for mild cases or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Girl in the Striped Socks.

Thats the second time now on boards youve personally called me out in a thread and insinuated I'm a liar. Give it a rest. I know there are people who completley fabricate stuff online but Im not one of them - despite my username ;)

That's just what a liar would say! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

You don't need to painfully dig a whole wart out. Just enough to make it bleed. The Wart virus hides from the immune system. A nice bloody wart or cut near it will have the immune system send antibodies to the area to protect the cut site. While they are there, they finally cop onto the wart virus so to speak and usually the wart will disappear at the same time as the cut is healing.

This was a theory I developed as a kid when I accidentally sliced the top off a stubborn wart that resisted conventional treatments. It bled profusely for a while but disappeared within a week. Chuffed when I read a decade or more later about some study that warts near injuries disappeared and the theory the scientists came up with was the same as mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I got a fiber from a snapped tent pole stuck in the palm of my hand one day at work. Couldn't get it out with a tweezers and it got fully embedded.
    Took the knife out of my pocket, cut an incision in my palm and got it out. It fecking hurt, but the following infection was worse :( Was squeezing yellow pus from my hand for the next day or two after it got inflamed and red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I tied a thread around a skin tag on my back. It took a few days and it fell off. You'd never even know it was there now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement