Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacks/What to bring

Options
  • 12-08-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Another thread i know, but you know how the excitement builds :D

A couple of months ago i looked around on here for threads about what is essential to bring when travelling and i did find a couple of good thread but can't seem to find them now.

My baggage allowance is 23kg, and am looking for a rucksack to bring. Does anybody know of any good sites where i could get a good rucksack that could hold that amount easily and be comfortable. I've seen a couple of sites but the prices are massive. Would anyone have any good ideas?

Also, what should a person bring whilst planning on moving to Australia? Anything i shouldn't bring etc?

Cheers again, appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

To be honest I've found rucksacks to be a pain in the Ass unless your going to be doing alot of travelling around. It weighs you down alot especially on public transport. I've found it alot easier to wheel around my normal case.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Clothes, a phone charger and an adaptor?

Don't bother with shampoo or sun tan lotion and stuff like that, it'll weigh you down, just pick some up when you get here! Same with work clothes (depending on what you do - shirts and trouser can be bought on the cheap, same with high vis tops, safety boots etc.)

I flew over with a lad who brought about 30kgs worth of stuff, he was in Thailand about 4 days before he threw out a load of shirts and jeans so he wouldn't have to carry them... If you're travelling around Asia first, don't bother with any going out clothes, you won't need them. Shorts and t-shirts all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

When i first came to Oz I brought a rucksack. I'm here now for the second time and brought a suitcase. Suitcase is much better and way easier.
    With rucksacks i found it annoying to pack after every hostel, takes forever. With the suitcase ya can just throw everything in, handy.

What to bring - Passport and money EASY :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bazingaboom

Im bringing a backpack to Oz, I way prefer them over suitcase which I think are a pain to drag around everywhere wheras you can just throw the bag on your back and forget about it. Also most backpacks these days open like suitcases so packing time would be the same.

However 23kg is a LOT to lug around in a backpack, I used to travel with about 12kg of stuff a maybe for this trip I might go for a max of 16-17kg. Go into your local travel shop and try on the backpacks and get advice from the people in there, if you find the bags are too expensive just pick one you lile and go buy it on amazon.

Also I dont see why you wouldnt bring shampoo and suncream and pick it up over there as you will end up dragging it around regardless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Sneebly wrote: »
    Another thread i know, but you know how the excitement builds :D

A couple of months ago i looked around on here for threads about what is essential to bring when travelling and i did find a couple of good thread but can't seem to find them now.

My baggage allowance is 23kg, and am looking for a rucksack to bring. Does anybody know of any good sites where i could get a good rucksack that could hold that amount easily and be comfortable. I've seen a couple of sites but the prices are massive. Would anyone have any good ideas?

Also, what should a person bring whilst planning on moving to Australia? Anything i shouldn't bring etc?

Cheers again, appreciated.

Realistically if you are just coming to Australia and staying in or travelling to the usual suspects here, and not roughing it, bring a suitcase.

If however, on the way out you intend backpacking in SE Asia for a couple of months, this is where a backpack is handy for travelling on motorbikes, small boats, minivans etc. It can also be useful if you're travelling more of the beaten track in Australia for extended period of time or on tours where the operators have a limit on bag size.
    An 85litre would be the most equivalent to 23kg. Check out your local camping store and try out the different sizes before ordering anything online. There used to be cheap camping shops/army outlet stores on Capel St in Dublin if you're near there. The zipper ones are easier to access than the sack like models.
    My brother travels with 65l and never had an issue, he travels fairly light, about half full, buys stuff as he needs it and roughed it china (needed some extra space for bulky clothes during Chinese winter) to India between first and 2nd whv.

Bring
    any original documents that are relevant to your qualification if it needs to be recognized here or certified copies.
    Enough cash or credit to see you comfortably through first 6 weeks here before you have to get a job.
    Your phone, laptop etc if you have; one less expense.
    1-2 work outfits if you're a suit n tie guy. Tradie stuff is cheaper here.
    Sunscreen, bug repellant etc. if you're stopping enroute. Otherwise get all of them here. Use factor 30 when you get here. You'll learn the hard way otherwise
    1 pair shoes, 1 pair trainers, you can pick up thongs here.
    a weeks worth of clothing unless youre a total clothes horse.
    Prescription meds if youre on any. Saves seeing Dr here on arrival.
    Get any dental looked at before arriving, a checkup and clean is around $180 here:eek:
    Travel adaptor or have the 20$ to buy one here
    And finally a sense of humour, an open mind and a willingness to get on.

Do not bring
    Fresh food
    Excessive heavy clothing, winter should be over by time you get here

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

Realistically if you are just coming to Australia and staying in or travelling to the usual suspects here, and not roughing it, bring a suitcase.

If however, on the way out you intend backpacking in SE Asia for a couple of months, this is where a backpack is handy for travelling on motorbikes, small boats, minivans etc. It can also be useful if you're travelling more of the beaten track in Australia for extended period of time or on tours where the operators have a limit on bag size.
    An 85litre would be the most equivalent to 23kg. Check out your local camping store and try out the different sizes before ordering anything online. There used to be cheap camping shops/army outlet stores on Capel St in Dublin if you're near there. The zipper ones are easier to access than the sack like models.
    My brother travels with 65l and never had an issue, he travels fairly light, buys stuff as he needs it and roughed it china to India between first and 2nd whv.

Bring
    any original documents that are relevant to your qualification if it needs to be recognized here or certified copies.
    Enough cash or credit to see you comfortably through first 6 weeks here before you have to get a job.
    Your phone, laptop etc if you have; one less expense.
    1-2 work outfits if you're a suit n tie guy. Tradie stuff is cheaper here.
    Sunscreen, bug repellant etc. if you're stopping enroute. Otherwise get all of them here. Use factor 30 when you get here. You'll learn the hard way otherwise
    1 pair shoes, 1 pair trainers, you can pick up thongs here.
    a weeks worth of clothing unless youre a total clothes horse.
    Prescription meds if youre on any. Saves seeing Dr here on arrival.
    Get any dental looked at before arriving, a checkup and clean is around $180 here:eek:
    Travel adaptor or have the 20$ to buy one here
    And finally a sense of humour, an open mind and a willingness to get on.

Do not bring
    Fresh food
    Excessive heavy clothing, winter should be over by time you get here

thanks for that! im packing right now as we speak! leave wednesay!

85l is crazy! I certainly wouldnt call a 65l packing light either! The vast majority of people will travel with bags between 50l and 65l, Iv never seen one bigger in all the time iv travelled

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

ive got a 65 litre

Also I dont see why you wouldnt bring shampoo and suncream and pick it up over there as you will end up dragging it around regardless?

Well if he's flying straight here and is worried about the 23kg weight limit, it doesn't make much sense to go throwing shampoo, body wash, sun tan lotion etc in the bag as well! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Sneebly

Great advice guys, thanks a million. Keep it coming.

Where i am, there aren't many travel shops at all, which is pretty ****. But i was looking at a couple of backpacks on Amazon that i may invest in.

This is a list i am just putting together because i am literally in a rush for this evening, but suggestions would be welcome.

BackPack:
    10 T Shirts
    2 Tracksuit Bottoms
    2 Jeans
    3 Shorts
    Socks
    Underwear
    Suit Shoes
    Dress Shoes (Comfortable going out shoes)
    1 Hoodie
    1 Jacket (Light, easy to squash for packing)
    1 Suit Pants
    1 Dress Shirt and Tie
    2 Vests

Hang Luggage:
    Laptop
    Charger
    Iphone Charger
    Earphones
    Book
    Ipod

Now, how does that look to most people? I also was wondering, should i, or should i not bring a suit? I know how warm it is going to be, but with interviews etc would it be best to bring it anyway or stick with just bringing the suit pants?

Have a look at this list, its the best Iv ever found. It certainly has a lot of extras but there might be a few things on it that you need that might have slipped your mind

http://www.gapyear.com/articles/120995/packing-list

Also you appear to have forgotten normal shoes like runners and flip flops in your list. I also dont thing you need suit shoes and dress shoes, surely one pair would be enough here?

Have a look at this list, its the best Iv ever found. It certainly has a lot of extras but there might be a few things on it that you need that might have slipped your mind

http://www.gapyear.com/articles/120995/packing-list

Also you appear to have forgotten normal shoes like runners and flip flops in your list. I also dont thing you need suit shoes and dress shoes, surely one pair would be enough here?

Cheers, I will take a look at that list! Ya, I didn't count the runners because I plan to have them on going!

Well, when I say dress shoes, I mean navy suede shoes just for comfort and to wear with jeans!

I planned on getting flip flops once I got there, but I could just pick up a pair before I go!

Depending on where you're flying to, you might not need the jacket or hoodie. I've survived Winter in Melbourne with just a hoodie, but I was up in Sydney before for 4 months and the hoodie was never taken out of my bag!

Wouldn't bother with a suit either, most interviews with agencies are fairly relaxed, shirt and trousers are usually fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 19havinitlarge

hi all.
    im going to sydney on 4th of september and this post was very helpful as to what to pack, thanks
    I was wondering about bringing my laptop. is there any point in bringing a laptop over when nearly everything can be done on phones these days.
    Also im flying with emirits, if i was to bring a laptop for the flight can it b plugged in to charge on a plane??

I ended up buying a laptop over here (the one I had at home was knackered) but the two friends I flew with brought theirs. The laptop is a lot handier to have for things like applying for jobs or booking things. If the place you’re staying doesn’t have Wi-Fi, you can pick up mobile broadband for cheap enough, or just sit in Hungry Jacks all day with the laptop out!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lichfield-Explorer-60-10-Rucksack/dp/B0038ONEQW

Thinking of getting this rucksack. Seems a reasonable enough price for my use and doesn't look too bad. What you reckon? It should hold up to 20kg of stuff shouldn't it?

Yeah that looks similar enough to the one I have, it did the job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you're staying in dorms in hostels a mini torch would come in handy.

Waking up in a dark dorm room in the middle of the night with bags all over the floor could lead to you tripping and falling.......into someone else's bed!

Also depending on the type of person you are you may or may not want to turn on the light to the room if it's late and people are sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

BOF666 wrote: »
    Yeah that looks similar enough to the one I have, it did the job.

True that!

• Advertisement

So, only two weeks today to go until the big adventure. Nerves, excitement, it's all kicking in now.

Booked into Bunk hostel with two other friends for 7days to start with. Anyone got any experience with Bunk or that area? For the first couple of weeks, we'll be looking at seeing the sights, enjoying what the nightlife has to offer etc. Including finding an Irish pub willing to serve us drink for the All Ireland final on the Sunday...considering Mayo are in it :)

Started applying for jobs, i have applied for about 20-25 i would imagine. A couple of weeks ago i applied and got some replies saying it was not able to take my application on board due to me not being in the country. So the applications i have made in the last couple of days, i have just put my address as Upper Roma Street, Brisbane. Hopefully one or two opportunities will come up as work seems to be my only worry right now.

Good luck with it!

Advertisement