Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow is the new fast, part deux - Cruise Control!

• 12-08-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

So my last log ended abruptly just as I was starting my marathon training. I fell off my bike, and broke my shoulder in 3. I had to get surgery to put it back together, and now have a metal plate and 9 screws in it:
    shouldervz.jpg

So, I had about a month of complete rest after surgery, then started physio twice a week for two months, that's starting to wind down now. I've been swimming as part of my rehab. My strength is getting better, but my range of motion is still limited so I can only do breaststroke. The arm starts to tire and get painful after about 300m of swimming though. But it's improving slowly and the doctors and physio are confident I should be able to get it back to 100% in another 3 months or thereabouts.

No cycling for another while but I'm allowed to run again :). Only starting slow though. Over the last 2 weeks I've done 3 x 12 minute slow runs, 1 x 15 minute run and 1 x 20 min run. They all went well and I'm gradually building up my confidence again.

Can't get refunds for the race series or marathon which is a pity, I'll just have to forget about it - but the race numbers arriving in the post every few weeks is like torture :rolleyes:!

So the plan for now is to continue the slow runs to build up my fitness again and keep up the swimming at least twice a week as well. No plans for races any time soon. January at the earliest I'd say. The last year or so have been very tough for me but it's great to be back running again, even if it is just a little bit :D!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Welcome back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

captain P wrote: »
    So my last log ended abruptly just as I was starting my marathon training. I fell off my bike, and broke my shoulder in 3. I had to get surgery to put it back together, and now have a metal plate and 9 screws in it:
    shouldervz.jpg

So, I had about a month of complete rest after surgery, then started physio twice a week for two months, that's starting to wind down now. I've been swimming as part of my rehab. My strength is getting better, but my range of motion is still limited so I can only do breaststroke. The arm starts to tire and get painful after about 300m of swimming though. But it's improving slowly and the doctors and physio are confident I should be able to get it back to 100% in another 3 months or thereabouts.

No cycling for another while but I'm allowed to run again :). Only starting slow though. Over the last 2 weeks I've done 3 x 12 minute slow runs, 1 x 15 minute run and 1 x 20 min run. They all went well and I'm gradually building up my confidence again.

Can't get refunds for the race series or marathon which is a pity, I'll just have to forget about it - but the race numbers arriving in the post every few weeks is like torture :rolleyes:!

So the plan for now is to continue the slow runs to build up my fitness again and keep up the swimming at least twice a week as well. No plans for races any time soon. January at the earliest I'd say. The last year or so have been very tough for me but it's great to be back running again, even if it is just a little bit :D!

Great to see you back.

Have you contacted them. You wont get refunds but they may be able to defer your entries to next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Thanks, I tried to contact them but got no response, I'll try again!

Today: 30 mins slow followed by 400m breaststroke & some stretching in the pool. Also spent a while in the jacuzzi and steam room :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Welcome back captain p, and best of luck with the training and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Good to see you back, P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tough 'break' there CaptainP, but hopefully the worst is over and you'll be back to 100% in next to no time!

belcarra wrote: »
    Tough 'break' there CaptainP, but hopefully the worst is over and you'll be back to 100% in next to no time!

Hahaha, I see what you did there :rolleyes: ..........

15 mins slow run last night. Next week I'll start upping the distances and speed a little bit.

20 mins slow this morning, wanted to do more, but I couldn't get into the rhythm for some reason :o. Legs feel good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good to see you back on the logs P, hope the recovery goes well for you.

Monday 20/08/12: 20 mins slow with a few strides thrown in at the end. Had my final physio session just before this run. Dropped my bike in to get fixed afterwards, hopefully have my first cycle in nearly 4 months this week :).

Tuesday 21/08/12: 300m breaststroke in the pool.

Thursday 22/08/12: slow 5km 31.59.

• Advertisement
Advertisement