Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out

• 12-08-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

What are the financial implications to leaving Arts at the end of first year(now) and taking a new course in the future?

I didn't pass my exams. Can you still return and take BA1 again if plans for another course don't work out ? Or does one go through the CAO again?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ya, you can do BA1 again if other plans don't work out but you will have to pay fees for first year. You will have to pay fees for the 1st year of a new course regardless. The government will only pay fees for each year of an undergraduate course once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Ya, you can do BA1 again if other plans don't work out but you will have to pay fees for first year. You will have to pay fees for the 1st year of a new course regardless. The government will only pay fees for each year of an undergraduate course once.

Thanks for reply
    Fee's as in the standard 2,000 again? I heard it was like, 6,000 to switch/repeat?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Some courses are more expensive than others. Fees range from 6000 to 10000. Arts looks like it costs nearly 6000 to repeat the year. If you give Arts another go you can carry forward any classes you passed so it will lessen the cost. Have a look at the attachment, full course costs are given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Hey guys.

What are the financial implications to leaving Arts at the end of first year(now) and taking a new course in the future?

I didn't pass my exams. Can you still return and take BA1 again if plans for another course don't work out ? Or does one go through the CAO again?

Thank you.

The repeats are starting tomorrow, you still have a shot at passing the year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

The repeats are starting tomorrow, you still have a shot at passing the year! :)

Thanks but, I have been sick with stress and anxiety for months over it..

Wish I never took up arts. Absolute disaster..

Might just try and pass 30 credits and go from there..

Are the fee's still double if you pass 30 credits of a course?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Try and calm down. You could do fine in the repeats. It's over 6 grand to repeat in Arts, I remember the lecturers saying it at the start of the year. They were trying to reiterate how people should keep up and attend lectures. If you are just out of school and starting college, then you may not have picked the right course but the best thing to do is try and get on with it unless you have a lot of financial backing behind you. You will regret things a lot of you drop out. I'm going into second year Arts and I liked the course but sometimes things are not what we expect when we get into them.
    The way I look at it is that Arts has not so many hours or even months in the year and it's not like it's Medical school or anything. This is only first year so if you pass the repeats then you can go on in second year, pick the subjects you like and things might get better. Good luck with your exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Thanks but, I have been sick with stress and anxiety for months over it..

Wish I never took up arts. Absolute disaster..

Might just try and pass 30 credits and go from there..

Are the fee's still double if you pass 30 credits of a course?:confused:

I'm confused, are you going to keep on Arts now/in the future? It's been a disaster so far and could very well be that way in your remaining years in Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 budlia

If you decide to drop out, make sure that you formally withdraw from the course! If you dont do it, in future you will end up shooting yourself in the foot. I dropped out of a course about six years ago, thought I had notified the course director that I wouldnt be back. They had no record of it. I knew because I had done one year of the course, that when I started in UCC I would have to pay full fees for first year. But then because there was no record of me formally withdrawing I was going to have to pay full fees for the rest of the course, because that college had already claimed from the HEA on my behalf, for four years, even though I wasnt there. It probably sounds very confusing but save yourself the hassle. It took me months of serious hounding and harrassing, the other college were not helpful at all. I needed to go to the Student Welfare Officer in the end. There was alot of forms to fill, had to sign them in front of a commission for oaths. So whatever you do, if you decide not to carry on......withdraw formally!!!:confused:

Advertisement