Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do girls hate being called bbz?

• 12-08-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

<Edited at OP's request and g'em's annoyance>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Because it undermines them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Because its patronising ???

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Well it's unprofessional to call anyone that in work.
    Probably why she wasn't swooning at your term of endearment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

srm23 wrote: »
    Last week a female superior in work asked me had I completed some work I'd been asked a good few times to do, I said "calm down babes will ya?" She then threw a strop about "having no respect" :eek: I use this term all the time thinking girls liked it.

I don't understand it myself, its a term of endearment. :confused:

She believes she is above you, you said something which indicates you think you are above her. Either you hurt her ego or she needs to enforce her boundaries as a superior or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't know f*ckface, why don't you tell us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Last week a female superior in work asked me had I completed some work I'd been asked a good few times to do, I said "calm down babes will ya?" She then threw a strop about "having no respect" :eek: I use this term all the time thinking girls liked it.

I'd say it was more down to the tone you used.

If some one said to me 'alright buddy/mate', i'd take no notice. If they said 'calm buddy/mate will ya', then they'd get a reaction as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

irish-stew wrote: »
    I'd say it was more down to the tone ya used.

so you don't think its to do with actually calling her "babes"?
    there seems a stigma over calling girls this for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Probably just a bad time of the month for her. Give her a few days to get over it and say out straight to her 'listen babes I know you were on the rag last week but you were out of order babes' You should get a better reaction.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I could understand you calling your girlfriend that, maybe even close female friends, but definitely not someone you work with, especially your superior! It makes you sound patronising and, yes, disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I bolded the issue.
    Treat her with more respect.

And yes, I'd wager 99% of women would probably have an issue with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Because people who say it sound like douchbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

It's definitely getting harder to keep up with all the politically correct/gender neutral/whatever terms to use when dealing with women. Presumably though "sweet cheeks", "sugar tits" & (for a more formal tone) "oi, slag!" are still acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so you don't think its to do with actually calling her "babes"?
    there seems a stigma over calling girls this for some reason

Some female friends/colleagues, I will use a pet name, some I will call by their name, depends how I get on with them. But the OP told her to calm down when asked a simple question, I'd say that pushed her more over the edge along with the petname if that was an issue for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

You forgot to pinch her bum and tell her to make you a cup of tea.

Thats how you'll get your promotion.

Hey, OP I just thought of something: maybe it's because you said it as "bee bee zed". Did you try saying it in the correct manner as "oi, you bitch, stop your moaning cause your emotions are whacked, now be a good girl and go get me a cup of tea and i'll see about taking you for dinner later babes".

And remember, she pays because she's the one cooking it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

None of this happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

She's your supervisor, not your girlfrined. Terms of endearment are not appropriate. You'll be getting your p45 because you have a really sh!tty attitude, both to your work (which she had to ask you to do a good few times) and to your supervisor (that's assuming this story is real ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

She believes she is above you, you said something which indicates you think you are above her. Either you hurt her ego or she needs to enforce her boundaries as a superior or both.
    She is above him, it was a superior who they spoke to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jesus, with a gender issues thread stickied in feedback, not a good ending willl come to this thread i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

You talk to your superiors like that...yet you lack the cop on to see what's wrong with it...I smell BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

well... and thats the thing you see in the modern workplace... i've being called 'chicken', 'pettle' 'love' and you know it doesn't become an issue, strange. i've even being 'winked' at by female co-worker in a very big and well known company. now, if i was to do that, different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

At 32 I'm too old to be called a babe....

Or too ugly... :eek:

Custardpi wrote: »
    It's definitely getting harder to keep up with all the politically correct/gender neutral/whatever terms to use when dealing with women. Presumably though "sweet cheeks", "sugar tits" & (for a more formal tone) "oi, slag!" are still acceptable.
    cynder wrote: »
    At 32 I'm too old to be called a babe....

Or too ugly... :eek:

Ah Sugar Tits, don't be so hard on yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

It's sleazy and something you'd hear a dirty old man sayin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

For the same reason you would hate being called a b**ll*x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Ah Sugar Tits, don't be so hard on yourself!

More than just a username, eh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Calling your superior in work is not a good idea, In fact anyone using it other than with their best friends etc is stupid.

Giselle wrote: »
    More than just a username, eh? :)

It's a code to live by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

VEN wrote: »
    well... and thats the thing you see in the modern workplace... i've being called 'chicken', 'pettle' 'love' and you know it doesn't become an issue, strange. i've even being 'winked' at by female co-worker in a very big and well known company. now, if i was to do that, different story.

exactly, girls have no right to get so sensitive :rolleyes:
    you'll notice more often than not its ugly girls who will take offence to being called babes too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

She is above him, it was a superior who they spoke to.

Yea I know, hence she believes she's above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This is a joke thread, yes?
    He sounds like Ross OCK

you'll notice more often than not its ugly girls who will take offence to being called babes too.

You really should have just said this in the start so we would have understanding your issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, if there was any doubt as to whether you were trolling, that killed it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Rubbish troll banned.

Soz bbz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement