Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grenada Olymics

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm in London, and the UK got 65 medals, so how many days off should I get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Scarinae wrote: »
    I'm in London, and the UK got 65 medals, so how many days off should I get?

About tree fiddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

this chap will have sex on tap for the rest of his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

jdooley28 wrote: »
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/08/07/grenada-declares-holiday-1st-olympic-medal.html

Old news but Grenada declared a half day public holiday because of thier Olymic success winning their first ever medal.. We won 5 surely a day off is in order. Opinions?

Granada only has 100,000 people in it, so it's a huge deal. It's akin to if Blanchardstown were competing at the Olympics and won a medal, we'd all get a day off here I'm sure....

...not that it'd make a difference, cos none of us work anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

All valid points, I still don't want to work tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

jdooley28 wrote: »
    All valid points, I still don't want to work tomorrow..

Dont worry bud. I agree with you. I think we should have the week off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Granada only has 100,000 people in it, so it's a huge deal. It's akin to if Blanchardstown were competing at the Olympics and won a medal, we'd all get a day off here I'm sure....

Much rather taking a day off in Granada than Blanchrdstown tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Granada only has 100,000 people in it, so it's a huge deal.
    What about the medal contender from St Kitts (50,000) who got sent home for sleeping with his wife :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The Dail expected a 90 medal haul and took days off in anticipation. The rest of you had the August bank holiday. Get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Anyone else read that as grenade Olympics?

BOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

What about the medal contender from St Kitts (50,000) who got sent home for sleeping with his wife :eek:

Wtf ???
    Links man where are your links ?!??!?

Anyone else read that as grenade Olympics?

BOOM!

YES!

Boom shaka laka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Today is also a national holiday in neighbouring Trinidad & Tobago in honour of Keshorn Walcott who won the javelin gold medal in London.

LINK

Much rather taking a day off in Granada than Blanchrdstown tho.

Grenada is in the eastern Caribbean and Granada is in Southern Spain - big difference! Reminds me of the American general who was a military analyst on CNN in 1983 when Ronald Reagan sent the troops to invade Grenada. He produced some elaborate maps and was waffling on about the strategic objectives of the mission - except that the map was of Granada and not Grenada.
    Wtf ???
    Links man where are your links ?!??!?
    Lane four stood empty during the final heat of the men's 100m in the Olympic Stadium on Saturday after the former world champion Kim Collins was dropped by St Kitts and Nevis for spending the night in a hotel with his wife.

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Dean09 wrote: »
    About tree fiddy

Well done on the originality of your post.
    I applaud your use of words with all my might

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Less public holidays and more work is needed.

Olympians don't do bank/public holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

If you took out our boxers which the state/box fed looks like doing by not f--- ing paying the coach we are a disgrace.
    Most of our athletes and swimmers should not be sent. Alastair Cragg? Ran one decent race a long time ago and still moans and groans his excuses, as the woman interviewing him asked "should you be at the Olympics?"
    Derval O Rourke at least performed as did Annalise Murphy (but blew a medal there for the taking). Rob Heffernan too was superb -the rest? blah Same old Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

buck65 wrote: »
    If you took out our boxers which the state/box fed looks like doing by not f--- ing paying the coach we are a disgrace.
    Most of our athletes and swimmers should not be sent. Alastair Cragg? Ran one decent race a long time ago and still moans and groans his excuses, as the woman interviewing him asked "should you be at the Olympics?"
    Derval O Rourke at least performed as did Annalise Murphy (but blew a medal there for the taking). Rob Heffernan too was superb -the rest? blah Same old Ireland.

9th and 20th in the modern pentathlon, both young with a lot of improvement to come.
    16th overall in the women's 400metres.
    13th in the 4x400metres womens
    Our main swimmer Grainne Murphy was ill and questions will be asked why did she go when not well.
    5th in the team equestrian.

The ideal within the Olympics is taking part, not winning medals and we knew not all would win medals but most beat much bigger nations in their events.
    I think our swimmers were the most disappointing and yes Mr Cragg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rabies wrote: »
    Well done on the originality of your post.
    I applaud your use of words with all my might

I applaud your sarcastic exasperation with all MY might. You speak for so many good sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

450000 people here have had about 1200 days off in honour of Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Barring the boxers we were poorly prepared for this and sent too many injured or journeymen athletes.
    Despite the olympic council saying we would be only sending medal hopefuls.
    But again due to the superb boxers we will learn nothing just like Beijing. The track and field athletes,. bar 2 or 3 good performances, and the swimmers are a massive disappointment, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

buck65 wrote: »

I think we could be doing better in some sports, but were unlucky not to get a better medal result, but what about India! 1.2 billion people and they take home 6 medals - NO golds.

Advertisement