Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving house with damage to it...

Options
  • 12-08-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

My wife, mother-and-law, and children came to Ireland for the summer. I left the house at the start of July owing to very high stress between my wife and I. While I was gone, my children did a fair bit of damage to the walls, my pet cat was allowed to rip at and tear the wallpaper in the hallways, and the house generally wasn't cleaned or maintained - there are approximately fifteen refuse bags stacked up outside the back door next to full refuse and recycling wheelie bins.

The lease for the house expires on Thursday.

I've spoken to my landlord, accepted full responsibility for the damage, and offered to pay for/contribute to repairs. An interior decorator is coming over tomorrow to assess the damage.

My landlord is somewhat understanding of my situation, especially as my wife left the house in a disgraceful state without leaving any money to contribute to refuse removal/repairs, along with a massive power bill.

My question is this: Am I within my rights to say that I will pay the difference in costs after my initial deposit has been deducted? It isn't my desire to turn around and try to shirk after I said I would contribute, but I have to put down a deposit for a new place to stay, and cover this power bill, within the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm not really sure what you are looking to do? Do you mean let the landlord take your deposit and arrange to pay him the difference at a later date? Or do you want your deposit back now and to covervthe damage later?

I'd say the best thing to do is to see how much the damage comes to and then talk to your landlord and try come to an arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

First of all, I would try to get a copy of the decorator's estimate. Just to make sure, you are not overcharged, paying for damages, not caused by you.

And on a more personal note, is there any chance, the wife could contribute? Since she was around, when the damage was done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Lars1916 wrote: »
    First of all, I would try to get a copy of the decorator's estimate. Just to make sure, you are not overcharged, paying for damages, not caused by you.

And on a more personal note, is there any chance, the wife could contribute? Since she was around, when the damage was done?

Yes, and no, none whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are you in a position to offer to do any of the required painting / decorating yourself? An interior decorator is going to charge a fortune for a few coats of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The landlord refused and insisted on a decorator, and I am out 200 euros (+400 deposit) as a result. I wanted quit of the house. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fenster wrote: »
    The landlord refused and insisted on a decorator, and I am out 200 euros (+400 deposit) as a result. I wanted quit of the house. :/
    Get a receipt, to ensure he doesn't find anything else that needs fixing...

Advertisement