Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey!

Options
  • 12-08-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I've owned a boat, 2 telescopes, a guitar, a tin whistle... But never have I owned a camper. I feel like I'm missing out. I've always wanted to have a small camper (I prefer simplicity to too many comforts). So for the past while, I've been considering selling the car and getting a small campervan instead but with the caveat of being my daily driver (I don't drive much to be honest).

In anycase - I'm completely unaware about what I'm getting myself into. I've 6 years no claims on a full license. I'll be 30 this December - So I'm wondering what sort of costs would be involved for taxing and insuring a small camper.

Something like this for example: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/citroen-c25-autosleeper-diesel-/320961192109?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item4abac720ad#ht_1890wt_1186

I understand there is a NCT specifically for commercial vehicles that's required (DOE). What else would I be getting myself into? Would it be practical to drive it up and down to the shops like a normal car? Is diesel preferred to petrol?

Should I pursue this matter with vigour, or rethink it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personal choice really, as all obstacles can be overcome.

Tax is cheap at around €88 a year, but bear in mind its set against the notion that its for periodic use only, and if one were to be a goody two shoes you would need to tax it privately for what you want to use it for.

Insurance is quite reasonable, but only on the basis that you already have insurance on a daily driver. If you don't and are only going to insure a camper as you're daily driver then they'll hoik up the premium by a few hundred quid.

Campers are required to have a DOE, much the same as a commercial vehicle. the fun police saw to that this year.
    Diesel might be more preferable to petrol, but mostly because of the engine size. As for running up and down to the shops, its personal choice again, and how comfortable you'd be driving something like that in and out of tesco's / lidl all the time. Don't be surprised if you get pissed off nipping about in it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

You should keep the car and buy a teardrop trailer.No insurance issues,no tax, no diesel,no doe,just hook up onto your car and away you go,no hasstle and all the comforts of a small camper van.Check out what they look like on the net and if you still want one,,,,,,,let me know ,I will sell you one. Thanks .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've no interest in buying a teardrop trailer, I've seen them before - Doesn't have what I'm looking for. Too cramped :( Strictly interested in a campervan. Looks like €640 for the year for insurance if I insure it as my daily driver. That's not too bad I guess. If the tax is only €80 per year, then I'll probably come out even with what I'm paying for my car right now.

Don't think I'd hold onto the car, certainly couldn't afford both. I could invest in a push bike to cycle to the shops, save me wasting petrol driving. Seems more and more doable the more I think about it. Need to sell off a few bits and pieces here to raise the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

they changed the vrt rules taking this year making tin top and pop top campers cheaper to VRT, insurance rules are catching up but if it were to be may daily driver I'd go pop top, think vw transporter or a merc vito, renault master..... you will still have higher fuel costs...

Do you drive much? would that matter. You also can go under most barriers....

After that they are great look at done deal and adverts.ie go to show rooms where there are loads on show as you will get to see different layouts so you can see what works for you.

Cheers mate - yeah, something small like that seems to be the way. I really don't drive all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

not the best on mpg but likey likey http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/3689761

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

hey penfold, would you have space/cash for a little caravan? the folks had a caravan parked in the driveway up in hillview for a couple of years when i was younger and used to love heading off for a few days here and there at the drop of a hat. plenty to choose from this time of year on donedeal. just picked up one myself this weekend for my own little family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Hi dlofnep,

Only just seen this thread, my 2 berth camper fits nicely in a tesco parking space so I wouldn't worry too much about parking.

Don't let Sheriff Bufford get you worried about the annual test, if it's over 5 years old as with cars, I have mine tested every year and I don't find that it's as severe as a car test. Yes it might be for campers that are big and heavy but certainly not for small ones.

Best of luck, if I didn't have grandchildren who are always after a lift somewhere I would seriously consider getting rid of the car!:D.

daaave wrote: »
    hey penfold, would you have space/cash for a little caravan? the folks had a caravan parked in the driveway up in hillview for a couple of years when i was younger and used to love heading off for a few days here and there at the drop of a hat. plenty to choose from this time of year on donedeal. just picked up one myself this weekend for my own little family.

Well bud. I gave thought to a caravan bud, but I'd prefer a camper. My car is only a 1.1L you see, so I couldn't imagine lugging around a caravan on it without stressing the engine. What did you get yourself?

I think I'm set on getting a small camper. Just building up the funds now - so I'll keep my eye out on donedeal over the next few months. Just kind of wanted to make sure it was doable before I started even thinking about getting one.
    Hi dlofnep,

Only just seen this thread, my 2 berth camper fits nicely in a tesco parking space so I wouldn't worry too much about parking.

Don't let Sheriff Bufford get you worried about the annual test, if it's over 5 years old as with cars, I have mine tested every year and I don't find that it's as severe as a car test. Yes it might be for campers that are big and heavy but certainly not for small ones.

Best of luck, if I didn't have grandchildren who are always after a lift somewhere I would seriously consider getting rid of the car!:D.

Cheers man :) Yeah, that's all I'd need myself is a little 2-berther. Would only be going around in it myself, maybe with one extra person max.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Well bud. I gave thought to a caravan bud, but I'd prefer a camper. My car is only a 1.1L you see, so I couldn't imagine lugging around a caravan on it without stressing the engine. What did you get yourself?

I think I'm set on getting a small camper. Just building up the funds now - so I'll keep my eye out on donedeal over the next few months. Just kind of wanted to make sure it was doable before I started even thinking about getting one.

Cheers man :) Yeah, that's all I'd need myself is a little 2-berther. Would only be going around in it myself, maybe with one extra person max.

Keep looking, the one for you will be out there somewhere:) and post on this same thread to let us know how you get on.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Dont know much about them but have you considered something like a flatbed Toyota Hilux or something similar that has a small camper conversion in the flatbed. Seen some very nice examples of these, even a few where you can drop the legs on the camper part and remove the jeep from the sleeping quarters!. Im sure they are costly though!

barryfitz wrote: »
    Dont know much about them but have you considered something like a flatbed Toyota Hilux or something similar that has a small camper conversion in the flatbed. Seen some very nice examples of these, even a few where you can drop the legs on the camper part and remove the jeep from the sleeping quarters!. Im sure they are costly though!

You're describing my camper to the T.
    Mine's a Bedford Romahome and yes, the camper body can be removed from the chassis to leave you with a flat bed vehicle, although I don't think that's ever happened with mine. It does mean though that if the chassis became full of rust/damaged, the camper unit could be transferred to another one of the same size.

Unfortunately they are no longer made as far as I know although Romahome are still going strong with compact conventional campers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

barryfitz wrote: »

Saw some fabulous UK ones this year and last year.

Couple of issues though:
    If it was taxed commercially and you ran into the customs you'd be in trouble for using it privately.

If it was taxed as a camper you wouldn't be able to remove the camper section for the same reason.

The camper insurance companies in Ireland seem to have a problem with these type of conversions. You'd definitely want to clear it with them before buying. I know people have been refused demountable and land rover conversions.

A solution might be to keep jeep/flatbed etc. commercial and tax it privately but tax would be in the region of 1000-1400 euro for the average pickup and surely the only way is up.

Those romahomes are fab my I nearly bought a c15 based one for my parents last november was humming and hawing because it needed all upholstery and cushions replaced in the end it went for 850euro still kicking myseld over that :(

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe that any company is making de-mountable type campers anymore. Certain that RomaHome aren't.

If you are talking about home conversions I'd like to see how they are done because It sounds risky to me, and yes, I agree with you, moodrater, over tax and insurance for something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

As I said in my previous post, I don't believe that any company is making de-mountable type campers anymore. Certain that RomaHome aren't.
    There are tons of manufacturers links here:
    http://www.wiltshire.eu.com/demountables/makers-eu.html
    http://www.demountablecamperclub.co.uk/links.html

Nicest one we saw was on an italian one on an enormously lifted iveco 4x4 chassis and wrapped in carbon fibre, looked straight out of a bond movie.
    If you are talking about home conversions I'd like to see how they are done because It sounds risky to me

Its not a passenger compartment so no more risky than carrying any load in the back of your pickup really and considering its made to fit exactly and bolted on probably safer than most loads

Very rough and ready one here: http://landroverdemountablecamper.blogspot.ie/2012/07/diy-demountable-camper.html

Thanks moodrater, now that you mention it I do remember seeing one somewhere on here (boards) sometime ago.

Didn't think there would be so many! although I must say that those I've just looked at on, one of your links, are very ugly and obviously a combination of two vehicles, so to speak. The RomaHome ones, like mine, were never so obvious.

When I mentioned home conversions I was refering to somebody doing it from scratch as opposed to buying a kit of sorts.

Thanks for these links.

Just had a look at the last link! YUCK and what a lot of bother getting it on and off.

I know those demountable types are quite popular over in the states, don't see many of them around here. Too much hassle to be honest - they are quite expensive in comparison.

I know those demountable types are quite popular over in the states, don't see many of them around here. Too much hassle to be honest - they are quite expensive in comparison.

All this talk about de-mountables has made me look under the seats in mine.
    Turns out that I only have the front set of stands/jacks!!!.

Next job will be to source some rear ones. Not that I have any real reason to but it would be nice to have them.:)

The owners help guide that came with the camper circa 1986, say that it's a ten minute job for one person to dis-mount the body and, by the looks of things, I would agree. But you have to remember that you would be left with a flat bed vehicle, no sides. In my case, having crawled under it, it would just be a bare chassis:eek:, so not ideal for every day driving.:o

Advertisement