Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone Needed

Options
  • 12-08-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to buy a microphone that i can use to connect to my camcorder (Canon HF range) and use it to conduct on street interviews.

What are my best options?

Also i will need to get something like the below for the mic with my logo, where can these be bought?

Microphone-Vertical.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Turbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It doesn't look like that camera support XLR ports (standard audio port, with mine there's a separate adapter that plugs into a port that allows you to plug in XLR compatible devices into it).

I can't get the manual for your camera to load so I can't say what else would work. I see the built in mics can be set to mono directional which might help target what's in front of the camera.

The cost of the 5.1 surround sound add on mic for that camera is so high you'd be as well off buying a dedicated sound recording device and syncing the audio to video in post production. This is probably your best option for what you want to do as your camera doesn't really seem to be set up for external audio devices.

As for the other logo thing you can make one out of cardboard I don't know where you'd get one made up and again cost could be fairly high. But you could always just have your logo added in post unless it's some sort of spoof where you want to mimic an old school news reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

ScumLord wrote: »
    It doesn't look like that camera support XLR ports (standard audio port, with mine there's a separate adapter that plugs into a port that allows you to plug in XLR compatible devices into it).

I can't get the manual for your camera to load so I can't say what else would work. I see the built in mics can be set to mono directional which might help target what's in front of the camera.

The cost of the 5.1 surround sound add on mic for that camera is so high you'd be as well off buying a dedicated sound recording device and syncing the audio to video in post production. This is probably your best option for what you want to do as your camera doesn't really seem to be set up for external audio devices.

As for the other logo thing you can make one out of cardboard I don't know where you'd get one made up and again cost could be fairly high. But you could always just have your logo added in post unless it's some sort of spoof where you want to mimic an old school news reporter.

Hi

thanks for the reply.

Its a canon HF11 ....its doesnt have a XLR port, just a standard mic in jack port
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/flash_memory_camcorders/vixia_hf11#BrochuresAndManuals

TBH the mic is more for aesthetics purposes for the interviews that i'll be doing along the lines of an old scholl news reporter as you mention ;)

Thanks
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

turbo wrote: »
    Hi

thanks for the reply.

Its a canon HF11 ....its doesnt have a XLR port, just a standard mic in jack port
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/flash_memory_camcorders/vixia_hf11#BrochuresAndManuals

TBH the mic is more for aesthetics purposes for the interviews that i'll be doing along the lines of an old scholl news reporter as you mention ;)

Thanks
    T
    If you have a mic in you can use that, I'm not sure how good the quality would be though. If you had a separate sound recording device you could have the mic in shoot just there as a prop doing nothing.

Sound is a whole other issue and it's probably harder to do sound to a good standard than it is to do video. If you want to be sure your going to get good sound your going to need a separate device.

I don't really know much about proper sound recording devices but there's the likes of these on Amazon that can range from under €50 to hundreds of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That Zoom H1 records surprisingly good audio (for the small price of it anyway!). There is a 'bigger brother' version of it called the H4N which is proving very popular on the indie filmmaking scene which is essentially the H1 but with two XLR microphone ports (so you can record onto it using boom, lav mic etc.). They cost about £250, but that is very good value for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

Thanks, sound quality wont be a big issue.

I will do a few test with the camera mic on the street and i will use a dummy mic to show the 'reporter' effect

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement