Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make nail polish last?

• 12-08-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Nail polish just does not like me.
    I dont buy the really expensive ones, but I do buy decent ones.
    And they will just NOT LAST.
    Like Friday night I applied a base, 2 coats and then a top coat and sure enough by midday Saturday most of it had chipped off.

HELP. Please?
    I have so many pretty colours. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I like Sally Hansen's hard as nails.

I painted my nails on Thursday or Friday, used this as a top coat and my nails haven't chipped at all.

I've used OPI, Nails Inc and Seche Vite top coats and this Sally Hansen one is the best I've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I like Sally Hansen's hard as nails.

I painted my nails on Thursday or Friday, used this as a top coat and my nails haven't chipped at all.

I've used OPI, Nails Inc and Seche Vite top coats and this Sally Hansen one is the best I've ever used.

The top coat I used was Sally Hansen.
    I'm not sure if it was the one you mentioned, I'll check though.
    I doubt it is cos it really did not work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I find it's down to the base and top coat. The best top coat I've found is Sally Hansen InstaDri (it's in a red bottle with a white lid) Fast drying too :)
    I seal the tips of my nails with the top cost as well by running the flat side of the brush along the very tips - This helps to prevent flaking and chipping.

Change your base coat. I used to use the Rimmel Nail Strengthener because it was great for making my nails stronger but because it's a "pealy" polish when I use it as a base my manicure chipped with 24 hours.
    I find base coats that dry matte the best - I'm using some no name random brand I got in a chemist for like €2 at the moment and it's great. Its not 100% clear and dries matte so I think it gives the polish something to stick to.

I also don't wait till my first coat is totally dry before applying the second - again I think this creates a less slippy surface for the next coat to stick too.

biohaiid wrote: »
    The top coat I used was Sally Hansen.
    I'm not sure if it was the one you mentioned, I'll check though.
    I doubt it is cos it really did not work for me.
    Orlee wrote: »
    I find it's down to the base and top coat. The best top coat I've found is Sally Hansen InstaDri (it's in a red bottle with a white lid) Fast drying too :)
    I seal the tips of my nails with the top cost as well by running the flat side of the brush along the very tips - This helps to prevent flaking and chipping.

Change your base coat. I used to use the Rimmel Nail Strengthener because it was great for making my nails stronger but because it's a "pealy" polish when I use it as a base my manicure chipped with 24 hours.
    I find base coats that dry matte the best - I'm using some no name random brand I got in a chemist for like €2 at the moment and it's great. Its not 100% clear and dries matte so I think it gives the polish something to stick to.

I also don't wait till my first coat is totally dry before applying the second - again I think this creates a less slippy surface for the next coat to stick too.

The Sally Hansen top coat that I have is 'No Chip Acrylic Top Coat'.
    I might try a different SH one, although I pressumed they would all be fairly good.
    I also seal the tips of my nails, and don't wait for the first coat to dry.
    Not really sure where I'm going wrong..
    Maybe a good base coat is what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I think the way you apply the nail polish affects how long it lasts as well. Maybe the coats you put on are too thick? I've noticed that sometimes when I do really thick coats, or put on another nail polish over the old one, it starts to peel pretty quickly. I use a Sally Hansen top coat too and haven't had any problems with chipping. And I don't even wear a base coat. But then again, I always get bored of my nails after a couple of days so I never wear the same polish for very long. :o

• Advertisement

suomi wrote: »
    I think the way you apply the nail polish affects how long it lasts as well. Maybe the coats you put on are too thick? I've noticed that sometimes when I do really thick coats, or put on another nail polish over the old one, it starts to peel pretty quickly. I use a Sally Hansen top coat too and haven't had any problems with chipping. And I don't even wear a base coat. But then again, I always get bored of my nails after a couple of days so I never wear the same polish for very long. :o

I do apply it pretty thick, maybe that's it.
    Still though, I'm sure mine should last more than like 12 hours. :L
    Im gonna try thin coats and see how I go. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used to do really thin coats building them up, but I noticed that technicians always put on much thicker coats, so I started doing the same. My nail varnish lasts much longer now.

The biggest thing to make sure your nails are clean of all oil, lotion etc before applying the base coat. A quick wipe of nail varnish remover will do that. And a matt-type base coat too. Something sticky for the nail varnish to attach to.

Advertisement