Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choices for a rifle to compete in small bore Gallery Rifle.

• 12-08-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭

I intend to start shooting small bore Gallery Rifle and am wondering what choices of rifles are best suited to the Gallery Rifle.

Nearly everybody I talk to says that the Ruger 10/22 is the best as it is so adaptable and the chunky magazine is easy to insert into the rifle when under pressure for time. Plus it won't break the bank for a basic gun and the upgrade options are endless.

Realistically, are there any other rifles out there that can compete with the Ruger 10/22 or is it clearly the best rifle for the job.

Just to add, I have shot a few 10/22s and they are very nice to shoot with. I have a CZ Brno but it feels very heavy for Gallery Rifle.

I'm just wondering what my other options are.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I intend to start shooting small bore Gallery Rifle and am wondering what choices of rifles are best suited to the Gallery Rifle.

Nearly everybody I talk to says that the Ruger 10/22 is the best as it is so adaptable and the chunky magazine is easy to insert into the rifle when under pressure for time. Plus it won't break the bank for a basic gun and the upgrade options are endless.

Realistically, are there any other rifles out there that can compete with the Ruger 10/22 or is it clearly the best rifle for the job.

Just to add, I have shot a few 10/22s and they are very nice to shoot with. I have a CZ Brno but it feels very heavy for Gallery Rifle.

I'm just wondering what my other options are.

Cheers.

You could also have a look at the Browning Bookmark, lots of them used for gallery rifle.

It's advantages are that it doesn't have the magazine problems that sometimes happen on the Ruger and is pretty much customized out of the box. On the other hand it, because of a technicality, requires a restricted licence and is not really capable of further customization or tuning like the Ruger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Browning blr22 lever action ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The .22cal Browning Buckmark is not a popular choice here in UK where the 1500 comps were invented - it's just not handy enough.

See the South Yorkshire Guns website to get some idea of the range of gallery/1500 rifles in use these days.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Had a look at the Buckmark myself a while ago (Not getting into Gallery or anything, but was interested in the rifle) and I have to say, it feels worlds ahead of the 10/22. It points fast and accurately, trigger is nice and it felt like a really solid gun. That said, I've shot some really tricked out Rugers too, and some have been good and others less so. Rowa's thought of the BL22 is not a bad one either. Have a soft spot for that rifle myself, and it really feels like proper Browning quality.

The BL22 is a very fine little gun, but I've not seen one used in comps, whereas I HAVE seen gazillions of versions of the 10/22 in use.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Guys,

You cannot use a Tube Fed rifle in Gallery Competitions, and beyond the safety issues, there are better options.

In Gallery you mainly have the 10/22 then you have some Remington 597's, some Brownig Buckmarks, and then some guns that may not be popular yet, like the CZ 511, the Sig 522 etc

But mostly Ruger (or other make) 10/22 style rifle.

Regards

DB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Scalachi wrote: »
    Guys,

You cannot use a Tube Fed rifle in Gallery Competitions, and beyond the safety issues, there are better options.

In Gallery you mainly have the 10/22 then you have some Remington 597's, some Brownig Buckmarks, and then some guns that may not be popular yet, like the CZ 511, the Sig 522 etc

But mostly Ruger (or other make) 10/22 style rifle.

Regards

DB

How Do lads with tube fed .357's and .38's manage in gallery rifle then scalachi ? Is it a different version they shoot for centrefire ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Hi Rowa,

Centrefire Lever actions are loaded in to a under barell "magazine" with the rounds fed in over the lever just over the trigger, whereas in most lever action .22 rifle's the tube is filled up by removing a cap or plunger at the end of the barrel and loading the ammo that way.

For gallery rifle.22 the standard is any self loading rifle with a detachable magazine, wheras for Centrefire, its a lever action rifle with a integral tube magazine.

Not sure that makes sense to everyone, but I know what I mean in my head :)

DB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

There must be a valid reason why so many people use the Ruger 10/22 in gallery competitions.

I think it is because of the versatility of how it handles and the fact that so many after market parts are available for the rifle.

Of all the lads in our club that shoot GR there are at least 10 that use 10/22's, 1 Buckmark, 1 Thomson, and 1 new Remington (that already has mag feed problems).

The main fault with the 10/22 is the trigger that is set at 6lb pull with plenty of creep thrown in for spite as well. But if your handy it can be sorted out for small money, or for big money with a aftermarket replacement trigger.
    For myself all that is Ruger on my 10/22 is the action that has the serial number on it, all other parts are replaced with parts from KIDD at
    www.coolguys.com

So what do you do?
    Buy the standard model @€;375 or the Target/Tactical @€;650 and go from there see how it shoots and get into the competitions. There is a national comp. on at Harbour House early in September that you would be welcome to come to and see how the comps. are run an ask as many questions as you need.

ATB
    CJ

f79caf2f.jpg

d6b3a243.jpg

rowa wrote: »
    How Do lads with tube fed .357's and .38's manage in gallery rifle then scalachi ? Is it a different version they shoot for centrefire ?

Also you can use, as I do, a speed loader for the Marlin 1894 .38spl.

You load 6 rounds into the speed loader and then put the end onto the bullet feed gate and push the rounds into the magazine with the speed loaders handle. In 1 second you have 6 rounds in the mag and your ready to continue shooting. Used mainly for the 2 x 6 rounds in 30 seconds in the Timed & Precision 1 course of fire detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

clivej wrote: »
    number on it, all other parts are replaced with parts from KIDD at
    www.coolguys.com

ATB
    CJ

Hey Clive, you sure about that link above? :D Looks suspiciously like a dating website to me. :D

Hey Clive, you sure about that link above? :D Looks suspiciously like a dating website to me. :D

Sorry its

https://www.coolguyguns.com/

cj

...and not for girls, either...............................................:eek:

tac

tac foley wrote: »

...and not for girls, either...............................................:eek:

tac

Not not forgetting

Www.rudefatdog.com

In the UK

Advertisement