Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hilarious misconceptions you or your friends had

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I used to think Gay Byrne lived in the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm only after finding out now that it's "buck naked" and not "butt naked." How embarrassing :o
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Until I read your post I still thought that!

Smh, the shame :o

I think you could be excused for thinking that Zed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

My sister used to think Brazil was in the EU. It was so funny, sure of course how could she know better?

It was last month and she's 20. She passed her summer geography exams though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Ooh look at you with your aged wine for your guests :)
    The first time I had wine was in a Chinese for my 18th birthday & it was an old flame that brought me.
    We thought we were so grown up, eating out & drinking wine that wanted to make us wretch!

You had an "old flame" at eighteen? That's noir-film levels of sophistication...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

'Making end's meat.'

Making just enough dosh to buy cheap meat, that nobody else wants, (end of the day meat in other words), because you can't afford the standard stuff.

It was only a year ago that I realised that it's more like the ends of a rope.

#foolish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Until quite recently I thought the phrase was "for all intensive purposes". :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I think you could be excused for thinking that Zed! :D

happy-oh-stop-it-you-l.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I was 20 before I learned a pony is not a baby horse. I actually thought horses were born foals, then were ponies and finally horses.

I grew up in the country btw, still have not lived it down.

Made worse by the fact that it was my first employer post college who filled me in...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Until quite recently I thought the phrase was "for all intensive purposes". :o

It isn't? :o

Also, any boggers or culchies out there that could enlighten me whether its a 'dark' or 'dart' of turf? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I learnt on boards about a month ago that the city of Washington isn't in the state of Washington. Blew my mind, and they say boards can't teach you anything.

Interestingly, they wanted to call the state "Columbia", but weren't allowed because people might confuse it with the District of Columbia (DC) the didn't call DC, Washington then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Took a friend of mine to watch Ireland play a football match. She enjoyed the experience but later questioned me why there was no commentary. Turned out she'd only ever watched football on tv and genuinely thought that the commentary was provided by a guy at the stadium using the PA system. She's 30 btw.

Same girl was also disappointed that Dublin Zoo had no woolly mammoths and didn't realise they were extinct.

Are you still dating either of these MENSA members?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I used to think gay men had sex by the man with smaller penis inserting it into the meatus of the other man's penis.

Docking - Do an image search on google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Omackeral wrote: »
    Are you still dating either of these MENSA members?!

It was the same girl genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It was the same girl genius!

Oh Christ, so it was!!! I mean, he typed that clear as day but I just couldn't allow it to sink in I guess!

Not that I can talk, my ex once said to me (while looking at a calendar) ''Oh look, Good Friday falls on a Wednedsay this year''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh Christ, so it was!!! I mean, he typed that clear as day but I just couldn't allow it to sink in I guess!

Not that I can talk, my ex once said to me (while looking at a calendar) ''Oh look, Good Friday falls on a Wednedsay this year''.

We're all allowed the odd blond moment:P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

hardCopy wrote: »
    And then he wees all over her

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 18 itsgrandlike

Im not sure if this was said as unfortunetly dont have time to read all the posts but when I was younger and i asked my mum where she was going, she would always tell me she was going to see a man about a dog.. I always thought a load of women stood around a circle with one man and a dog in the middle.. WTF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

back in early primary school a small group of us thought the wild west still existed, so thats where we were going when we grew up.
    the priests told us there was blood in that chalice and not wine, we believed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

VEN wrote: »
    the priests told us there was blood in that chalice and not wine, we believed it.

Can open, worms everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

When pay as you go phones first came out years ago my first thought was where would the slot for the coins be. Sadly i wasn't that young at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

"post no bills" ...spend ages looking for the fecking letter box

"plant hire" ... why would people need to hire plants :eek:

A Romanian guy used be selling "Big Issues to help the unemployed" . couldn't figure out how big shoes would help the unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Worked in an Irish pub in Belgium and we had this sign on our post box saying 'No Pub' in a red circle with a line going diagonally through it. Means no publicitie, i.e. no advertising / junk mail, etc. New lad came over to work with us and just couldn't grasp why a pub would have 'no pub' written on its postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

newmug wrote: »
    Docking - Do an image search on google!

I know I shouldn't, but I may have to... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

I used to think that prostitutes and protestants were the same thing.

Thought that catholics had to sit on one side of the church and that 'prostitutes' sit on the other because we used to always sit on the right hand side of the church. :o

I used to thinking the IRA were vigilantes who were trying to fight the prostitutes. It made more sense that they were hardcore Christians, rather than two sides of Christians fighting over religion/heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

When younger, I thought Christmas was the last day of the year (Which I later found out was new years..) but while glaring at a calendar exclaimed to the whole family "WTF?... Christmas is on the 25th this year" - I'm still hearing about it to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I used to think that dolphin friendly tuna, meant that it was safe for dolphins to eat too. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

blue note wrote: »
    I used to think that people who died in films actually died and thought it must be difficult to find that many actors that wanted to die.

But the funniest was one my mother told me. My granny told my mum (when she must have been in infants) of a girl that wanted to be a nun. My mum started laughing at the though and said sure "how could someone become a nun?" Granny got it out of mum that mum had seen out the window of her school a nun graveyard with all of the crosses for them. Mum thought that this was a nun field and that they were growing out there!

Omg I laughed so much when I read this!!!

I used to believe people when they told me you could dig down to Australia, many an afternoon I spent digging holes in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Im not stupid I swear, BUT, the other day when Cian O'Connor won the medal for Ireland my husband was saying he was surprised that he was allowed back into the Olympics after the drugs thing the last time and I said,,,, 'but I dont understand why he bothered taking drugs, the horse does most the work and its not going to make him go any better'! duh duh duh, yes duh I know... just one of those moments where I wonder about myself. As soon as I said it I knew I was a dumbass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

My older brother always terrified me on trips away by telling me that we had to duck down inside the car when going under a bridge or our heads would be chopped off. I'm still a bit OCD about that today and every now and again kiss the steering wheel when going under a low bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Plazaman wrote: »
    My older brother always terrified me on trips away by telling me that we had to duck down inside the car when going under a bridge or our heads would be chopped off. I'm still a bit OCD about that today and every now and again kiss the steering wheel when going under a low bridge.

:) me too. My mum used to yell duck when we approached a bridge. To this day I slyly dip my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

To my shame when I was a child I used to think a heart attack was an "Ant attack" i.e. the ants would crawl inside your body and begin eating you. I still have an irrational fear of ants to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I thought a rotten egg was a rockin egg,well that was my pronunciation of rotten egg,last one in is a rockin egg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Used to think the term "seats" in elections was kind of like a game of musical chairs in endurance/patience (without the music ) E.g Politicians would all be seated and could lose their seat, like if say Mary Harney had to nip to the shop. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Not hilarious but we thought squashed chewing gum on the ground was still nice enough to eat...and so we did..."is yours nice?" "yeah, I can still get the taste!"

Also when the wood pigeons would hoot we were convinced it was the devil and we'd scream and run home and that would be it for the night.
    We wouldn't come out again.
    All those balmy 80's evenings ruined by a fúcking bird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gungun wrote: »
    I used to think drink driving meant you can't drink a pint in the car because you can't see around the glass:o

back then it did.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Lisha wrote: »
    I was 20 before I learned a pony is not a baby horse. I actually thought horses were born foals, then were ponies and finally horses.

Made worse by the fact that it was my first employer post college who filled me in...

Er... Wut?! Where do they come from so!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

73Cat wrote: »
    Until I was well into my twenties I thought that test tube babies grew in the test tube for 9 months:o

I believed that until I red your post. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I thought if a woman loved a man she just magically got pregnant with his baby. :o
    And me and my sister both thought for years that babies came out the ass, until my sister asked if the baby could come out with your sh*t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I thought that when people got married they'd have sex once if they wanted a baby and then continue to have babies every second year until they decided that they'd had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

My brother thought September 11th was 9/11 because lots of people in New York would of dialled 911 on their phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Lisha wrote: »

Just learned something new :eek::cool::D:rolleyes::o:(

Another farm related miscinception i used to have was that a Goat was a male sheep and sheep were female sheep.

Just like a Bull is a male cow and cow is a female cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I thought that Atheists worshipped the devil. Come to think of it, I'd say plenty of people also believe this :D

I grew up thinking it was Presbyterians that did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

loalae wrote: »
    I thought that when people got married they'd have sex once if they wanted a baby and then continue to have babies every second year until they decided that they'd had enough.

We sort of did just that when we were all devout Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

And we were told all Protestants were black :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

flyswatter wrote: »
    Used to think the term "seats" in elections was kind of like a game of musical chairs in endurance/patience (without the music ) E.g Politicians would all be seated and could lose their seat, like if say Mary Harney had to nip to the shop. :D

This is the way politics SHOULD work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A common one is kids (myself included) thinking that percent is like a type of unit (like integer, real number or whatever), so might say 'that's 80 percent out of a hundred'

Were you furiously bullied in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I thought when fish were jumping in rivers they were taking flies from mid air and not on top of the water or under the surface....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I was gutted to learn that Oz was actually short for Australia and not some magical land with wizards, witches, lions and tigers and bears (oh my...)

Also, we convinced a lad for ages that a blowjob was when a lad stuck it in a girl's ear. Then we'd get him to go up and ask girl's for a blowie. Thank fook nobody said yes, in hindsight.

Until I'd kissed a few girls, I thought a French kiss involved you sticking your tongue in her mouth, swirling it around a bit, then taking it out and letting her do the same. So I'd get into a little tongue war and batter their tongue down, then take mine out so we'd just awkwardly be kissing, open mouth, for a while. If any of my earliest kisses are reading, I do apologise for what must have been quite an unpleasant experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

A couple of things my brother told me when I was younger.

He said that if you killed a wasp,it sent out a distress signal to other wasps,and they would hunt you down and sting the hell out of you.

He also said that Asian ladies,erm,lady bits,went side to side,not up and down,if you know what I mean.

I know the 2nd one is ****e,still not sure about the 1st one though !!:D

Advertisement