Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hilarious misconceptions you or your friends had

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

syndeyfife wrote: »
    No? Sanitary towels are sticky on one side. Tampons are never sticky.

Now for the love of god Google it and stop talking about it!!

He asked about tampax, not tampons. Tampax is a brand that can be either a towel or a... cotton wool dildo... thingy.

Cathyht wrote: »
    ...and the third little pig built his house with some mints.

So I thought when I was 4.

As opposed to bricks? How do those 2 words even sound alike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

As opposed to bricks? How do those 2 words even sound alike?

Cement - some mints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I used to pick my bellybutton when I was about 5 - I abruptly stopped when It started bleeding and I thought it was opening up. I thought this because I remember a baby with one of those things stuck to their bellybuttons. I was told that it was keeping it tied.

Between the ages of about 6 and 13 I hovered over the toilet after my Grandmother told me about tarantulas when she returned from holiday. I thought they came up though the toilet and killed you.

I thought condoms were chewing gum. I remember I found some in my parents drawer. My mum was out in the garden and I went out and asked could I have some of the chewing gum from the drawer, she said there wasn't any there. I insisted there was, she said okay. I came back out a few moments later and said something along the lines of "This chewing gum tastes weird, but its great for blowing bubbles" When I blew my bubble she nearly died and her friends were in shock. :eek:

I thought that where my shadow was depended on what side of the bed I got out of. I stayed in my grandmothers for that summer and the bed was against the wall. So I would stand on the bed and get as close to the wall as possible to try and get my shadow on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

calnand wrote: »
    I used to believe we were all descended from two people, but then I heard about this Darwin fellow.

YOU MEAN WE'RE DESCENDED FROM ONE PERSON!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Once convinced a yank that the Irish had got rid of Wednesdays as we wanted to shorten the gap between weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kaz231

I'm also one of those that thought my life was a TV show..Truman Show style.

A gem from my 3-and-a-half year old niece who became a big sister a few months ago and must think loving - anyone - calls for marraige: "I love my new little brother so much I'm going to marry him!". That'll be a great one to taunt her with in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

I used to shudder under the covers listening to 'tarantula' rain at night hitting off the window :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

When I was a little kid, I was told that thunder was the sound of God dropping something.

So much for an omnipotent and perfect being, dropping stuff everywhere.
    Thunder is the sound of aeroplanes going through clouds. I thought everyone knew that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Cathyht wrote: »
    I used to shudder under the covers listening to 'tarantula' rain at night hitting off the window :(
    Ah bless, that's probably the cutest thing I have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

My niece is learning the alphbet..

Walks around the house;
    ................H, I, J, K, meno meno, P..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thespian and pianist. Hearing those words as a kid confused me for a long time as I was too shy to ask what they actually meant. :D

Had totally forgot about that.... ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i thought the tampax ads were for towels that you stuck to your armpits for sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

kincsem wrote: »
    Woman in work said "It's a vicious circus"
    She ain't wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

I love the visualisations these clangers give me:

Salad complexion
    Leaving a door 'on a jar'
    Dead person having a TopsyPop (when I was young I thought the person was having an icepop post humously when a woman said it)
    Fell in the shower and broke his 'pelmet'

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

in class in 1st year the teacher was on about people wetting themselves in bed (unsure why TBH :confused:) Anyhow I goes sure miss there's a name for that....'Wet dreams'

Ensue the whole class starting to laugh at me. Even the teacher laughed at me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Confab wrote: »
    No you didn't, the other poster got confused. The Tampax brand do have sticky bits. Tampons, on the other have, don't have sticky bits because they're inserted.
    Tampax is a brand of tampons - inserted internally and no sticky bits.

Sanitary towels have sticky bits!

http://www.tampax.ie/en-IE/home/home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Tampax is a brand of tampons - inserted internally and no sticky bits.

Sanitary towels have sticky bits!

http://www.tampax.ie/en-IE/home/home

But how do they stay in there!! that's the real question

But how do they stay in there!! that's the real question
    Only suitable for those women who haven't been with you:D.

• Advertisement

And (this is mortifying) i only learned in the last 2 years that woman pee and poo out of 2 diff holes. i thought the vagina was for sex and giving birth- and the ass was for weeing and crapping. I didnt know women actually have 3 holes down there- and im a ****ing woman... oh the shame!!!:(:(:(

this is more common that you think, two female friends (in their late 20's) discovered only a few weeks ago they also had a urethra, they thought it came out of their vagina, i won 20 euro each off them during a drinking session when i had to get the internet out to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

In primary school, one of the older lads said you would get cancer if you sat on the school toilets....bad times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Myself and a few friends of mine got together last night and hit Fanore for a few hours of bodyboarding,the swell was effing massive.

I'm a beginner,they're at it a long time and fairly strong swimmers.

They were out on the big waves at the back,I was having fun on the 2nd last wave,so I got brave.

I paddled out and these waves were huge,I was dwarfed by them and had no way out so I seen this huge moverfkr coming at me off I went,my timing was way off.

My only way of describing it was,like being in a giant washing machine on full spin, half filled with sand and the other half filled with salty water,with someone waving a torch outside the window of the washing machine.

I never saw the sun from under the water doing so much hopping jumping and twirling.
    My whole body ached after it I paddled ashore and sat there and watched the lads for the last half hour....

Will I do it again ?

fck yeah cant wait...

One of the lads said to me after a bit of pain never hurt anyone :S

davet82 wrote: »
    this is more common that you think, two female friends (in their late 20's) discovered only a few weeks ago they also had a urethra, they thought it came out of their vagina, i won 20 euro each off them during a drinking session when i had to get the internet out to prove it!

:eek: How do women think this??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

davet82 wrote: »

You showed them on the internet ... as opposed to ... telling them to get butt naked ....

Hand in your man card brah !!

Northclare wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends of mine got together last night and hit Fanore for a few hours of bodyboarding,the swell was effing massive.

They were out on the big waves at the back,I was having fun on the 2nd last wave,so I got brave.

I paddled out and these waves were huge,I was dwarfed by them and had no way out so I seen this huge moverfkr coming at me off I went,my timing was way off.

My only way of describing it was,like being in a giant washing machine on full spin, half filled with sand and the other half filled with salty water,with someone waving a torch outside the window of the washing machine.

I never saw the sun from under the water doing so much hopping jumping and twirling.
    My whole body ached after it I paddled ashore and sat there and watched the lads for the last half hour....

Will I do it again ?

fck yeah cant wait...

I think you're in the wrong thread!

• Advertisement

:eek: How do women think this??????

i dont know, i was shocked, they honestly thought i was taking the piss (i know ha) even after i showed them on the net they thought i was still fooling them. I didnt get the money for the bet for a few days because i guess they had to investigate it themselves and i had to promise not telly anyone... they didnt say anything about not telling the internet though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Will I do it again ?

fck yeah cant wait...

I think you're in the wrong thread!

I am lol sorry bout that :S

It was a thread about hilarious things happening etc

These Android.phones can be too fast sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

England was in the sky because people got a plane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭e04bf0c8

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Greece

This has to go down as one of the best and most subtle Fr. Ted references of all time. I literally lol'd on the bus!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

It was a thread about hilarious things happening etc
    You'd still be in the wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

When I was a kid I used to think that in order to speak Latin you just had to speak English in that deep, echoey, Gregorian-chant type voice. Spent a good while thinking I was fluent in Latin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I used to think the weather man decided what weather we were gonna have. I'd be pissed off when he decided something I didn't want.

Here's a really extravagant one, I thought that grown ups decided when night time was going to be. I didn't know there was anything outside of Ireland, thought it was just us. There was a button in the Dáil, and when pushed, a big dome would close over Ireland, blocking out the sun. Stars were holes in the dome that had rusted through that let light in. If I was told it was time for bed, but it was still light out, I wanted to call the Guards so they could tell Mary Robinson about kids being put to bed before the pushed the button, because it was illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

When I was a kid one of my Uncles told me that babies came from the cabbage and carrot patch in the field (farming background here :rolleyes:) when you wished really hard for it to happen. I believed this for years (I'm guessing age around 5 or 6). I was getting into massive arguments in the play ground telling other kids that they were talking bullsh1t with terms such as men's seeds and stuff.

I eventually challenged my parents on the issue and they completely avoided "the talk" by buying me a book called "Growing up". It was full of cartoon naked pictures of people from children to adults, full illustrated explanations of pretty much everything one could possibly want to know. It was awesome! Also allowed me to have more sensible playground discussions from then on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I used to think that mothers gave birth to girls and fathers gave birth to boys.. I saw a picture of my dad in hospital and I was convinced about it...

I used to think that a penis was called willy and a vagina was called a peanuts.
    Also thought that deleting history on the computer would save me from trouble..

My uncle lives in the States and every time I saw a plane, I thought my uncle was on that plane. Then in 9/11 attacks, I wept myself because I thought my uncle died on those planes that were hijacked

I also had the notion that women gave birth to girls and men to boys. Was very confused when my mom went in to hospital giving birth to my brother, I wondered why my dad (when he was taking us to her) wasn't the one in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Oh, forgot this one. I used to think sausages came out of the teats of pigs, and that piglets would suck the sausages out for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

When I was 5 or 6 I asked my mother if I smashed the telly screen and jumped inside would I be transported to wherever was on screen at the time. She was busy so just fobbed me off with a 'yeah, sure' probably not having even heard what I had asked.

Power Rangers was on so I went to the garage and got my hurl and but for two reasons my mother would have been dealing with a broken TV and a confused son:

1. I didn't want to get stuck in America and had no idea how I'd get back from there.
    2. Putty Monsters - they terrified me and I was sure they'd kill me.

I continued to believe this for a long time but never quite plucked up the courage to take a trip into the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i was always waiting for my cousins in "America" to be on Sesame Street - I watched and watched, thinking they just had to walk down the 'street" to be on it.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

murpho999 wrote: »
    Isn't that not a "second cousin"?

that would be the child of the first removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Squ wrote: »
    My cousin thought that two men having sex automatically got aids..

So do the Blood Transfusion Service Board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I thought that those 3 wheel Robin Reliant cars were for people with a disability.
    Thought that cat's milk actually came from cats, who the hell would put that in their tea?
    Always thought that to broaden your horizons meant something sexual:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

73Cat wrote: »
    I thought that those 3 wheel Robin Reliant cars were for people with a disability.
    Ha! so did I! :o:D
    Always thought that to broaden your horizons meant something sexual:o
    Well... How you doin?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think everyone needs to go back and read post 265 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80283703&postcount=265

He got zero recognition for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Im not sure if this was said as unfortunetly dont have time to read all the posts but when I was younger and i asked my mum where she was going, she would always tell me she was going to see a man about a dog.. I always thought a load of women stood around a circle with one man and a dog in the middle.. WTF!!
    I remember my dad saying similar, and I foolishly thought he was going to finally get that pet my siblings and myself were always pestering him for.

Never happened, not until I grew up and left home anyway:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

About 6 months ago in the local pub one night, the publicans son who was serving announced that he'd finally convinced the auld fella to get WiFi in.

There were a few small cheers of approval and when silence descended one old guy announced that he probably wouldn't even try it.

He'd be sticking with the pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

I remember after Veronica Guerin was shot, asking my granny who'd want to shoot a tennis player :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thought yoghurt was curdled milk for years.

I also out threw out passionfruits the odd time wegot them because I thought all the seeds were dead insects....

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I thought when a woman was raped she lost her memory :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I thought midges were called "midgets "

Post 2 and I've learned something new. Thanks

The Jman wrote: »
    I thought when a woman was raped she lost her memory :/

Feels wrong to have roared laughing at this.
    Feels more wrong to thank it.
    Consider this post your thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Feels wrong to have roared laughing at this.
    Feels more wrong to thank it.
    Consider this post your thanks!

same here, i know theres a joke in there too but i shouldnt say it

Advertisement