Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hilarious misconceptions you or your friends had

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

When I was younger, I thought a virgin was some kind of saint or holy person (eg the Virgin Mary). My sister had friends over and were prancing round the room pretending their hairbrushes were microphones and singing Madonna's song "Like a Virgin", so me, thinking I was very witty said to my sister "well you're no virgin anyway", didn't know whay they all started laughing loudly at me, but I felt like a right tool all the same... :(

My sister and brother always told me horrible stories like, if I swallowed an apple seed a tree would grow out of my tummy, or when I plucked a daisy from the fairy fort, the fairies would come and get me when I was sleeping (couldn't sleep properly for weeks!), or that people only had a certain amount of allocated words and if I spoke to much, my words would run out and I'd never be able to talk again, my mother started getting worried about me when I almost completely stopped talking for days..

I thought Jack Frost was some big ice man that was out to get me, I was terrified going outside when there was frost (thanks Dad...!!!)

I thought there was a secret room behind the wallpaper because whenever I used to annoy my Dad about where he was going when he was heading out, he's say he was going to "Nellie's room behind the wallpaper (the joke was on him when he came home to find I had started tearing down the wallpaper in my room trying to find "Nellie's room" ;))

I used to think that everyone was very relieved that mass had ended every sunday when at the end when the priest said, you may go in peace etc and everyone said Thanks be to god... As in "thank be to god that over now lets get the hell out of here...." thats what i meant when i said it anyway!

Didn't we all??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

When Bob Marley sang "no woman no cry", I thought he actually meant, if you had no woman then you would never cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When I was young I thought B&B stood for bread and breakfast. I also thought it should be T&B because I always toasted mine.

I remember my dad told me it stood for Bread & Butter. Because would see places that actually said Bed and Breakfast then others just said B&B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When Bob Marley sang "no woman no cry", I thought he actually meant, if you had no woman then you would never cry.

Most people believe that. I'm still not sure what it was supposed to mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

if you had no woman then you would never cry.

Isn't that the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Confab wrote: »
    Isn't that the point?
    :D
    No, the lyrics mean, "No woman, don't cry"

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Less than a year ago I learned right here on boards, on a similar thread now I think of it, that the Sugar Loaf Mountain is NOT a volcanic mountain.

I am 37.

Woah!! I had to wikipedia that! I always thought it was a volcano too! Damn marilyns sneaking in here taking our volcanoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Apanachi wrote: »
    I thought there was a secret room behind the wallpaper because whenever I used to annoy my Dad about where he was going when he was heading out, he's say he was going to "Nellie's room behind the wallpaper (the joke was on him when he came home to find I had started tearing down the wallpaper in my room trying to find "Nellie's room" ;))
    Didn't we all??? ;)

HAHAHA! I had forgotten about that! My dad said the same thing to me and I ripped wallpaper in my room trying to rescue her :pac:

Also I never knew what it meant until I looked it up here didn't know it was my dad telling me to mind my own business :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

garv123 wrote: »
    Up until a few weeks ago I used think Nutella was pronounced nu-tella or nut-ella, along those lines.

Oh how I was wrong :(

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GYwCZnuhMcU/THQZ1nyJ33I/AAAAAAAACDo/LnRXPHyqBhY/s1600/nutella.jpg

Ah it is yeah. Don't mind that. New-tell-uh me eyeball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Me and the lads in primary school thought an ejaculation was when you orgasmed inside a lady and your willy came off:(

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Me and the lads in primary school thought an ejaculation was when you orgasmed inside a lady and your willy came off:(

hahahahaha

:D

I actually laughed out loud at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

When the Vietnam War was drifting into Cambodia, we would watch BBC News for the latest propaganda. I was shocked that Gorilla Warfare was raging. Who was giving guns to gorillas and why were they fighting? I asked my Mum and Dad, but they just shrugged their shoulders, probably wondering why anyone would fight at all.

Years later, I found out the real truth.

More years later, I found out the real truth again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I used to think that on boards you automatically became a mod / admin etc after a certain number of posts! :o

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    I used to think that on boards you automatically became a mod / admin etc after a certain number of thanked posts! :o

FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

FYP :D

Ahh no I thought it was having to post a few thousand or so thanked or not and you just became one then. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I have Cerebral Palsy, and so my left arm and my left leg dont function as normal. Naturally when I was 8 I thought it would be a good laugh to tell my friends that I was also blind in my left eye. They spend a good 20 minutes asking me to cover my right eye and then they would hold up fingers asking me to guess etc...

About 6-7 years later I was playing Playstation and my friend walks in the room, from my left. I shout "Hey Kev..." while still looking at the screen and he gives me the shifty-eyes... "How did you know it was me?" I had to think fast "Uhm... I could hear my mam letting you in" "Oh..... right",

He still knows nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I thought in 'aggregate' was a country... A very popular country to play matches in. Also when I saw "to be announced" on tv listings I thought it was a show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I used to think that babies came from the sky riding on the clouds and were dropped off at the local hospital where people 'buy' them. So, whenever it was foggy, I used to think that babies are being dropped off at the hospital.

At the age of 3 I was insisting on helping my aunt in the kitchen, being a little child she told me that I could help in the kitchen when I was older. At that point I presumed that people grow up and turn into women so that they can run the kitchen.

And I also thought that our clothes would grow bigger with us if we didn't change them.

Does anyone here remember The Gotchee? The Gotchee was basically the security man on site, but as kids, playing on building sites, we use to think he'd kill you and bury you under the houses if he caughtyee.

Advertisement