Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-London 2012 hangover thread!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Lads dont forget Sochi 2014! I know it wont have Irish interest, but the Winter Olympics are f*cking brilliant. If you mess up in the Summer Games you could miss a medal, if you screw up in the Winter edition you could die!! Vancouver 2010 was EPIC, and we have not got long to wait until Alpine Skiing, Snowboarding, Luge, Bobleigh, Speed Skating, Ice Hockey, Freestyle Skiing etc!

I tell ya, it's some oul craic. Bring it on!

Dan man wrote: »
    Sort of follow it but the Summer Olympics is the be all and end all for me.
    I'd much prefer the Paralympics than the Winter Olympics also but that is not to say we won't look forward to Sochi...I have an appetite for anything Olympic related.

I have to say the Vancouver Games are one of the best I have ever seen, Summer or Winter.

Also, any chance the name of the forum can be changed from "Sports" to "Olympic Games". Dan, you're the mod, made it happen! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Lads dont forget Sochi 2014! I know it wont have Irish interest, but the Winter Olympics are f*cking brilliant. If you mess up in the Summer Games you could miss a medal, if you screw up in the Winter edition you could die!! Vancouver 2010 was EPIC, and we have not got long to wait until Alpine Skiing, Snowboarding, Luge, Bobleigh, Speed Skating, Ice Hockey, Freestyle Skiing etc!

I tell ya, it's some oul craic. Bring it on!

We had a bob sleigh team in Vancouver. We finished 2nd from bottom.

Claire Bergin and Aoife Hoey, and I'm pretty sure they were a bit higher than that. Astonishing achievement for any Irish people to qualify for a Winter Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I wonder did feargale make the jump between threads successfully??
    Yes, I'm here, but I'm off now and you probably wont hear from me for a week or two. You'll have to make do with David and Goliath without me to rein them in. Keep your heads down when those slings are flying !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Possibly we could have a figure skater, Clara Peters....she did well at the Europeans this year....think she made the final.
    Also, we have a talented snowboarder (halfpipe) coming through named Seamus O'Connor...if he progresses like some think he will, he is tipped to be one of the world's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

feargale wrote: »
    Yes, I'm here, but I'm off now and you probably wont hear from me for a week or two. You'll have to make do with David and Goliath without me to rein them in. Keep your heads down when those slings are flying !

Phew, glad you made it :D
    Thanks for those David v Goliath posts, they were very interesting.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Claire Bergin and Aoife Hoey, and I'm pretty sure they were a bit higher than that. Astonishing achievement for any Irish people to qualify for a Winter Games.

I don't know, I seem to remember the Australians trying to get us kicked out and then we finished above them and I remember being very happy with that :D

Edit: checked it, we finished 17th out of 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭johne30

I think we're all going to have a bit of a hangover from all of the amazing sporting action.....time to work London 2012 out of our systems before we begin to look forward in earnest to Rio 2016.

Someone say something intelligent to start off with, I'm too hungover! :D
    have to say that the standard and style of the female athletes gets better with every games . lol.

Did anyone get a picture of the Irish athlete's lying down during the closing ceremony? The internet is telling me they were actually trying to spell out IRL or something similar. Everyone on twitter seems to think they were drunk and having a nap.

• Advertisement

thankfully the rugby season is only weeks away , a real sport that we are actually able to compete at for a change

johne30 wrote: »
    thankfully the rugby season is only weeks away , a real sport that we are actually able to compete at for a change

Doesn't translate to the rugby 7's though, so isn't really relevant to our Olympic discussions.

KevIRL wrote: »
    It's a real pity we didn't remain in the commonwealth and compete in the commonwealth games like so many other former British colonies.
    no it would not have been possible to compete in commonwealth games except as all on ireland team in every sport. no other com wealth country is divided like us , so politicaly it would be immpossible

Doesn't translate to the rugby 7's though, so isn't really relevant to our Olympic discussions.
    well we will prob have a womens 7's team there.in rio . but not in the mens rugby and there is good reason for it

Did anyone get a picture of the Irish athlete's lying down during the closing ceremony? The internet is telling me they were actually trying to spell out IRL or something similar. Everyone on twitter seems to think they were drunk and having a nap.
    jez they were just having a bit of craic . why does everyone get so serious,

Possibly we could have a figure skater, Clara Peters....she did well at the Europeans this year....think she made the final.
    Also, we have a talented snowboarder (halfpipe) coming through named Seamus O'Connor...if he progresses like some think he will, he is tipped to be one of the world's best.
    jez we cant compete at real sports in real olympics without making utter fools of our selves in the snow. and then we wonder why the world laughs at and sterotypes us.

It's mostly twitter comments from Irish people laughing at how great they are because they're probably drunk. I just assumed they were having a laugh and lying down, but I did see someone say that they were trying to spell out IRL, so I just wanted to see if they were or not.

jez we cant compete at real sports in real olympics without making utter fools of our selves in the snow. and then we wonder why the world laughs at and sterotypes us.

We didn't make fools of ourselves and nobody was laughing at us.

Im going to make more of effort to keep informed about our competitors trying to make Rio.

We have plenty of world championships and so on to look forward too and while they may not be Olympics it is still really competitive.

Its been good games from Ireland. 5 Medals is more then we ever hoped.
    how u mean good games for ireland , n zeland won 5 golds hungary got 6 and denmark got 9 medals overall , all huge world powers of course . if you took out boxing and horse riding we would be a disaster,

We didn't make fools of ourselves and nobody was laughing at us.
    well similar sized nations can win medals with ease and lots of them in a range of sports . we only able to rely on a few boxers and horsey sports every time. no hope in anything else ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

how u mean good games for ireland , n zeland won 5 golds hungary got 6 and denmark got 9 medals overall , all huge world powers of course . if you took out boxing and horse riding we would be a disaster,

Best since 1956!!

We beat total medals against the likes of Slovakia, Switzerland, Serbia, Argentina, Norway, Switzerland, Finland, Belgium, Greece, Bulgaria, Morocco and Portugal.

I wonder how does countries are feeling eh?:p

Denmark and New Zealand while have outstanding achievements are the select few who do push above their weight I agree.

But considering most predicated 2 Medals for Ireland to improve that by 150% aint too shabby.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

We'll have to take some suggestions on how we might set our preparations up for Rio 2016. I'm thinking I could open a thread with links to lots of stickied threads from London 2012 as well as useful links to info on Rio 2016.
    Maybe a timetable also with a chronological list of international championships on it for Olympic sports.

Great idea...:)

feargale wrote: »
    I love some of the Winter stuff but don't know enough to call myself a fan. now there's a project for me...:)[/Quote
    Ice hockey is brilliant. I can't get over excited about the rest.

I like the kurling, Luge, Skeleton, bobsleigh, downhill skiing, Ice Hockey, Ski jumping (to watch, I'm no expert in any of them...:) )

I'm not into the snowboarding, figure skating, Biathlon...

No one's getting 'serious'. TME was just asking a question...

Chill out mate.

If you have such a downer on Irish Olympians maybe this section of B.ie isn't for you..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Right, I'm on a total downer here, it feels like the adult equivalent of the first day of the new school year at work this morning. The whole Olympics is two weeks of fantastic sporting madness, its impossible to keep track of everything...I wish it was spread over three weeks to be honest. Might have to actually do some work today.

And then Sideshow Rory had to go and win the PGA on the night of the closing ceremony, opening a whole other can of worms in the process. He has already said he would prefer to be part of Team GB, but with only two golfers allowed to compete per nation, the likes of Poulter, Rose and Donald will be keen to talk him out it, starting at the Ryder Cup next month, whereas the British media will be desperately trying to get him to commit to them.

There is also GMac to consider. He has previously shown more of a leaning towards competing for us. The two have competed together for Ireland in the world cup of golf previously, but whether that will translate to the Olympics remains to be seen. It may also depend on how Harringtons game holds up over the next four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

we only able to rely on a few boxers and horsey sports every time. no hope in anything else,

And without sprinting, the Jamaicans would be pretty poor too. What a silly argument.

Right, I'm on a total downer here, it feels like the adult equivalent of the first day of the new school year at work this morning. The whole Olympics is two weeks of fantastic sporting madness, its impossible to keep track of everything...I wish it was spread over three weeks to be honest. Might have to actually do some work today.

And then Sideshow Rory had to go and win the PGA on the night of the closing ceremony, opening a whole other can of worms in the process. He has already said he would prefer to be part of Team GB, but with only two golfers allowed to compete per nation, the likes of Poulter, Rose and Donald will be keen to talk him out it, starting at the Ryder Cup next month, whereas the British media will be desperately trying to get him to commit to them.

There is also GMac to consider. He has previously shown more of a leaning towards competing for us. The two have competed together for Ireland in the world cup of golf previously, but whether that will translate to the Olympics remains to be seen. It may also depend on how Harringtons game holds up over the next four years.

Tell me about it. I'm having olympic sithdrawals but I was expecting it so I'm dipping into http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html for some distraction.

Harrington has said that if Rory wants to do the right thing by Irish golf he'll play for Team GB so that more Irish golfers have an opportunity to take part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Im very late with this but when I finally got to the end of the Daily Diary thread I found it was closed so couldn't make a post there. I didn't post anything in that thread but i read every single page every single day usually late into the wee hours to catch up on what everyone was saying. I suffered a bad fall in the mountains down here in Kerry last week so ive been bedridden with several broken bones and the olympics and indeed the daily diary thread have been great for me to pass the time.

Some of my fondest memories have been the sports that I didnt really know much about before the games. Sailing turned out to be absolutely riveting! Not just watching Annalise but in general. Some of the close races and near misses from various boats made it surprisingly exciting.

Anyway thanks to everyone who made that thread what it was and for helping me get through a bad time. Well done to our Olympians and heres hoping for a great games in 2016.

• Advertisement

chupacabra wrote: »
    Im very late with this but when I finally got to the end of the Daily Diary thread I found it was closed so couldn't make a post there. I didn't post anything in that thread but i read every single page every single day usually late into the wee hours to catch up on what everyone was saying. I suffered a bad fall in the mountains down here in Kerry last week so ive been bedridden with several broken bones and the olympics and indeed the daily diary thread have been great for me to pass the time.

Some of my fondest memories have been the sports that I didnt really know much about before the games. Sailing turned out to be absolutely riveting! Not just watching Annalise but in general. Some of the close races and near misses from various boats made it surprisingly exciting.

Anyway thanks to everyone who made that thread what it was and for helping me get through a bad time. Well done to our Olympians and heres hoping for a great games in 2016.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the thread :)

Take care of those bones now...;)

Advertisement