Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-London 2012 hangover thread!!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Sounds fantastic Dan.

I know you're asking for ideas. Can't think of any really. Apart from the possibility of an Olympic sub-forum?

If you need a hand with keeping up on stats or results throughout the year I'll be available and happy to give a dig out. But a big thank you for the commitment that will be very helpful to us all...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Sounds fantastic Dan.

I know you're asking for ideas. Can't think of any really. Apart from the possibility of an Olympic sub-forum?

If you need a hand with keeping up on stats or results throughout the year I'll be available and happy to give a dig out. But a big thank you for the commitment that will be very helpful to us all...:)

Yes that would be great :)

Basically what's driving me to make this info available is that it was fairly obvious during the Olympics that the Irish media weren't great at giving a realistic appraisal of our prospects for London 2012.
    Besides, I usually track all of this info anyway so it'll make things easier for me and if it'll increase other users enjoyment of the forum then that'll be nice also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I think "Olympics" should be its own Forum of the main Sports sub-division of Boards.ie, after Motorsport and before Outdoor Pursuits. Dan would of course get my vote to Mod it. It could then in turn have Summer and Winter subsections. All of these threads from recent weeks should be moved out of the "Sports - Sports" forum and into the "Sports - Olympics" forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sounds excellent Dan, I'll also have no probs in giving a gid out with updates or stats/results etc.

Re - changing the forum name or requesting a new olympics sub forum, my experience of trying to get such things done on Boards.ie would be that it wouldnt be worth the hassle. Thats no slight on the site, but the admins are busy folk and have to take the whole site into consideration and would likely see an Olympic forum as somewhere that would be busy once every 4 years.

Its not like the Sports forum is all that busy anyway, and putting Dan's ideas in place would help change that.

The other thing that has to be remembered is that the Olympic 'afterglow' will disappear eventually and many posters will drift away, having some way of tracking our competitors though will help reduce that.

Bit of a ramble there lol, but I hope you follow

I think "Olympics" should be its own Forum of the main Sports sub-division of Boards.ie, after Motorsport and before Outdoor Pursuits. San would of course get my vote to Mod it. It could then in turn have Summer and Winter subsections. All of these threads from recent weeks should be moved out of the "Sports - Sports" forum and into the "Sports - Olympics" forum.

I think that an Olympics forum has been asked for before at least a couple of times but the consensus amongst the admin is a mixture of: it won't generate enough traffic, and there's no need for it since we have forums for most Olympic sports anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dan man wrote: »
    I think that an Olympics forum has been asked for before at least a couple of times but the consensus amongst the admin is a mixture of: it won't generate enough traffic, and there's no need for it since we have forums for most Olympic sports anyway.

Yeah, I noticed that most of the individual sports forums had a thread discussing that sport at the Olympics, so it's unlikely that a separate forum for it would get much use. I assume people would be tracking the various majors in their own sports in those forums anyway.

Your plan sounds good Dan, and sure we can go with whatever you were planning and add to it as we go if we think of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Tonight on BBC1 NI at 11.35pm (earlier in other regions)

Olympics 2012: A Golden Games
    Eddie Butler presents a look back at the best moments from the London Games, celebrating the performances of global stars such as Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, and British heroes including Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins

Also, there are highlights of the Opening Ceremony on Saturday at 1pm on BBC1 (2 hours 45 minutes of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭johne30

Here's the link to Harrington's comments, and another on the politics of it. He's entitled to do what he wants. Am only interested in his sporting performance on the greens, he's done enough already for the entire island. I'm out.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/harrington-if-somebody-wants-rory-to-be-as-irish-as-he-can-be-he-better-declare-for-gb-344132-Feb2012/

http://thesportsarena.ie/wordpress/index.php/seamus-morris-10/sport
    no mcillroy was well funded and supported by the all ireland g u i when an amateur, and he should represent ireland now at the olympics, but he really thinks nothing of us and this is scandalous . and the irish media should stop running after him . we have lots of great sportspeople to celebrate

KevIRL wrote: »
    The other thing that has to be remembered is that the Olympic 'afterglow' will disappear eventually and many posters will drift away, having some way of tracking our competitors though will help reduce that.

I fear you're probably right but I hope that at least some of those who participated in the forum during the Olympics for the first time will have caught the bug and continue to contribute.

I think it makes the Olympics much more interesting and you look forward with much more anticipation when you have (a) heard of the athletes in the first place (b) have a reasonable idea of how they have progressed over the course of the Olympic cycle and (c) have more realistic expectations on what is a good or bad performance by an Irish team member.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I fear you're probably right but I hope that at least some of those who participated in the forum during the Olympics for the first time will have caught the bug and continue to contribute.

I think it makes the Olympics much more interesting and you look forward with much more anticipation when you have (a) heard of the athletes in the first place (b) have a reasonable idea of how they have progressed over the course of the Olympic cycle and (c) have more realistic expectations on what is a good or bad performance by an Irish team member.

I can see myself cooling down in this thread. At same time though I can see myself coming in here few times a week to check out how Irish are faring and hopefully hearing more good results then bad.

Also if in need of help I be more then happy to help out.

• Advertisement

Most of the abovementioned big guns didn't compete in Delhi so not sure if they'll go to Glasgow.
    the commonwealth games are of no relevance to us in ireland. nothr ireland competitors can do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yes, it was very good following the countdown thread to 2012. It was great to know more about the ups and downs of the Irish Olympians (and almost-Olympians). I have to say I didn't appreciate how difficult the qualification criteria are in most Sports.

I think Dan Man's suggestions a few posts ago sound great. I hope I can help out in some way. I don't really have any great knowledge about any of the Sports but hopefully I can do my bit, in the Olympic Spirit :)

Skid wrote: »
    Tonight on BBC1 NI at 11.35pm (earlier in other regions)

Olympics 2012: A Golden Games
    Eddie Butler presents a look back at the best moments from the London Games, celebrating the performances of global stars such as Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, and British heroes including Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins

Also, there are highlights of the Opening Ceremony on Saturday at 1pm on BBC1 (2 hours 45 minutes of it)

I saw some of Eddie's work last night before the closing ceremony. Its fantastic. Will be watching tonight for sure...

I'm the first to admit I haven't followed progress in the past...

johne30 wrote: »
    the commonwealth games are of no relevance to us in ireland. nothr ireland competitors can do what they want.

I'll be watching with alot of interest...:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for the heads up, timer set to record it :)

I'll be watching with alot of interest...:)

So will I. I mean, lets face it, about 90% of what we watched at the Olympics had no Irish interest in it. We still watched it all.

So will I. I mean, lets face it, about 90% of what we watched at the Olympics had no Irish interest in it. We still watched it all.
    no body in the olympics except the brits have to fawn to the queen . the common wealth games is for the empire . we thankfully despite all our problems are not in that empire any longer. pan america games. oceania games . african games . european games . all based you see on a geographical context . not on old empires.

no body in the olympics except the brits have to fawn to the queen . the common wealth games is for the empire . we thankfully despite all our problems are not in that empire any longer. pan america games. oceania games . african games . european games . all based you see on a geographical context . not on old empires.

So what? It doesn't mean sports fans can't watch those competitions with enthusiasm. Plus we will see some of Ireland's prospective 2016 Olympians in action at the Commonwealths.

My God!! You're right! What am I supposed to do with my giant Union Jack and blue white and red bunting though?

• Advertisement

So what? It doesn't mean sports fans can't watch those competitions with enthusiasm. Plus we will see some of Ireland's prospective 2016 Olympians in action at the Commonwealths.
    watch away friend no prob. just illustrating to you how stupid and outdated the whole concept of these games are. paddy barnes and co take part only because of where they happen to be living , but funny though that some n ireland competitors don't show the same spirit toward ireland (the island) in olympic games or other competitions. should work both ways . don't you think?

watch away friend no prob. just illustrating to you how stupid and outdated the whole concept of these games are. paddy barnes and co take part only because of where they happen to be living , but funny though that some n ireland competitors don't show the same spirit toward ireland (the island) in olympic games or other competitions. should work both ways . don't you think?

Well as people from Northern Ireland can choose to represent either Ireland or G.B. at the Olympics then it's up to them. Some people from Northern Ireland don't share an affinity with the rest of the island in the same way as some people from Northern Ireland could never represent Britain. It works both ways and that's just where we are at the moment.

My God!! You're right! What am I supposed to do with my giant Union Jack and blue white and red bunting though?
    bring it to the next european or world championships just like everyone else do with their national flags.

Well as people from Northern Ireland can choose to represent either Ireland or G.B. at the Olympics then it's up to them. Some people from Northern Ireland don't share an affinity with the rest of the island in the same way as some people from Northern Ireland could never represent Britain. It works both ways and that's just where we are at the moment.
    but paddy barnes an co are representing n ireland even though they are not totaly happy about this but they buy in to the thing anyway and even stand for god save t queen . They don't make a big issue about it and just accept it, but how come it dose'nt work the other way round which it should and every one ,even the british will agree with this view. The rowers should have represented ireland in the olympics and could have their queen for the commw games and every one happy . it a reasonable argument i believe.

but paddy barnes an co are representing n ireland even though they are not totaly happy about this but they buy in to the thing anyway and even stand for god save t queen . They don't make a big issue about it and just accept it, but how come it dose'nt work the other way round which it should and every one ,even the british will agree with this view. The rowers should have represented ireland in the olympics and could have their queen for the commw games and every one happy . it a reasonable argument i believe.

It's not really. Like Dan said, some people in NI consider themselves Irish, some consider themselves British. I'd imagine the majority of them would be far happier if they could just represent NI all the time as they can in the Commonwealth Games. The fact of the matter is that for most things they can't, they have to chose, and I for one do not begrudge them the one opportunity they have to represent NI on an international level.

It's not really. Like Dan said, some people in NI consider themselves Irish, some consider themselves British. I'd imagine the majority of them would be far happier if they could just represent NI all the time as they can in the Commonwealth Games. The fact of the matter is that for most things they can't, they have to chose, and I for one do not begrudge them the one opportunity they have to represent NI on an international level.
    You are completly missing the point sir . Even the irish tradition in n i dont make excuses when it comes to the commw games and the accept it and get on with it and as i said even stand for god s the q . But when the boot is on the other foot then the excuses start . all competitors should represent an all ireland team on every occasion even if it means moving towards a neutral flag and anthem , rugby, cricket ,.equestrian and so on can come together like this and we need to end this n i , rep of irel nonsense in sport for onc and for all , this is a very valid argument and many people in g b are fully in favour of this in fact. i the sports that have come together are thriving north and south so this underlines my point. rugby , boxing, cricket, equestrian, motorsport .

:D:D:D

Plus, I just got a cardboard cut out of Gabby Logan. She's the Queen of me heart...:)

I was just thinking.............

Would it be an idea to set up a B.ie Twitter account whereby we can send best wishes to our Olympians and prospective future olympians when they take part in their respective competitions in the coming years..?

In this way the Athletes know that there is a band of Irish sport fans genuinely interested in their progress and maybe (just maybe) one or two of them might join up here and give us some insights..? :)

I was just thinking.............

Would it be an idea to set up a B.ie Twitter account whereby we can send best wishes to our Olympians and prospective future olympians when they take part in their respective competitions in the coming years..?

In this way the Athletes know that there is a band of Irish sport fans genuinely interested in their progress and maybe (just maybe) one or two of them might join up here and give us some insights..? :)

It's a nice idea no doubt but I don't think we could use the boards name unless you get permission and also boards.ie has a twitter account already.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah. I'd not thought of that...:)

Advertisement